Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Lewis Hamilton signs for Ferrari 2025

Lewis Hamilton signs for Ferrari 2025

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ct-Clause.html

I actually do not believe it WHY, JUST WHY HIM? We need engineering and design talent not ready to retire drivers

Lewis Hamilton is on the brink of fulfilling one of the greatest dreams of his life – by driving for Ferrari.

Mail Sport understands the seven-time world champion has secured a seat at the Scuderia, even for as early as the 2025 season.

This confirms Mail Sport's world exclusive of last May that Ferrari were in talks with Hamilton and prepared to offer him a £40million king's ransom to join.

He is currently on £50m-a-year at Mercedes, where he has won six of his seven world championships and previously expressed his desire to remain for the rest of his time in the sport.
    That story was bare-face denied by all parties, including Ferrari team principal Fred Vasseur.

But now the Italian press has stated that Hamilton, 39, is wanted to replace Spaniard Carlos Sainz, whose contract negotiations ground to a standstill in December. We now know why.
    'They were pushing like mad,' a source in Italy said today of those conversations in late spring.

I don't like Reddit, but fun post

https://www.reddit.com/r/formuladank..._but_we_didnt/

Everyone knows what I think of him at a personal level. While Toto is way worse, the dirty competition that Mercedes engaged in during the Vettel era and the political antics really is a big no-no for me. It was just a very dark time in my life in general due to hard times after graduation and that played its role too. Even so, due to damage done between 2017 and 2020 I can't pretend to be happy about this if true, at all. Back in 2017 I would've happily accepted Hammy joining Ferrari but I don't think the board really understand how Tifosi feel about him.

Having said that, I suppose it's a move that would be made in order to make the Ferrari brand relevant again. Liberty Media-style new fans and all that.

All that aside, if he's so keen on signing he must've heard something we haven't heard about the 2024 car or even more so the 2026 engine. I suspect he feels this is the place to be to win the eighth title and that Mercedes are cooked. There's no other explanation behind it. What it probably also means is that he's racing at least two seasons into the new regulations or he wouldn't jump ship as is.

I just wish the team would've gone all-in for Norris instead. Even so, I'm confident Leclerc will be the #1 driver moving forward because his raw speed is equivalent to Hamilton's back in the mid-10s. Once reflexes get slower it's hard to keep up with someone entering his prime like Leclerc does. It's a big-risk move because he's already lost one title to a team mate and a second one really would put the curtains over any GOAT talk.

50/50 it's fake news though and Sainz gets a deal soon.

I think he may be a huge galvanizing force if he signs. He will likely bring some key members of his team with him to Ferrari, such as Bono and whomever his new physio will be with Angela leaving. He must know something on how the regulation changes and development have gone for both Merc and Ferrari to make such a drastic change.

Forza Ferrari, Forza LH (in '25 :P )

Its done, Merc staff has been informed:

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/stat...KW2esd7Hg&s=19
    "Formula 1 is not a sport anymore” - Fernando Alonso

If he's breaking the contract and has massively fallen out with Toto I don't really see any reason not do a straight overnight driver swap. Hamilton is almost 39 and does have a rather limited career span left after all. Not sure it's in his or Mercedes' best interest dealing with a lame duck season with Russell as #1 at the age Hamilton is at. I assume Sainz would be top of the list to go to Mercedes anyway based on no credible alternatives.

My prediction is firm in that Charles is likely to come out on top. He already ended a four-time WDC's career after all. What's behind the steering wheel has not really been an issue at Ferrari since the mid-90s. This is the 29th successive season with a driver capable of winning a championship at the team. The issue has been very lacklustre engineering and management.
    Last edited by Tifoso Svedese; 1st February 2024 at 14:16.

If true, would be interesting to see how Leclerc and Hamilton fare against each other in the same team.

An official statement regarding Lewis Hamilton’s move to Ferrari is expected at around 7PM GMT.

@SkySportsNews
    "Formula 1 is not a sport anymore” - Fernando Alonso

Ferrari NV stock price jumped 8.8% of the news. That's over 5 Billion Euros in market cap. Investors are happy.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso Svedese View Post
    If he's breaking the contract and has massively fallen out with Toto I don't really see any reason not do a straight overnight driver swap. Hamilton is almost 39 and does have a rather limited career span left after all. Not sure it's in his or Mercedes' best interest dealing with a lame duck season with Russell as #1 at the age Hamilton is at. I assume Sainz would be top of the list to go to Mercedes anyway based on no credible alternatives.

My prediction is firm in that Charles is likely to come out on top. He already ended a four-time WDC's career after all. What's behind the steering wheel has not really been an issue at Ferrari since the mid-90s. This is the 29th successive season with a driver capable of winning a championship at the team. The issue has been very lacklustre engineering and management.
    Italian media suggesting he could be racing for Ferrari in 2024......I hope Lewis arrival can also bring us some engineers etc. Certainly improves the attractivness of coming to Ferrari I think.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Italian media suggesting he could be racing for Ferrari in 2024......I hope Lewis arrival can also bring us some engineers etc. Certainly improves the attractivness of coming to Ferrari I think.
    2024 would break contract with Sainz. The timing of this though....would expect this at Monza but it's comecso quickly out oh nowhere maybe it will be 2024 with Sainz to Merc straight away. Then all set for car launches and testing. Can't imagine Hamilton racing at Merc this year when they would give Russell all the good strategies.

I don't get the timing of the news, they could've waited till atleast 2nd half of 2024. Things shall be awkward for both Hamilton and Sainz for rest of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    I don't get the timing of the news, they could've waited till atleast 2nd half of 2024. Things shall be awkward for both Hamilton and Sainz for rest of the year
    Very strange timing indeed.
    Forza Ferrari

one silver lining though... certain Carlos fanboys on here may disappear...
    Murray - "...and there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!"

James - "Well, that should put them out then"

If this is true, i’m in a dilemma on how to react, i have read and enjoyed Lewis bashing for years in this forum.. is this going to be the same way I supported Alonso after 2005 and 06…lot of thinking to do..

Although my emotional reaction is rather negative I'm going to try and be objective here:

It's likely going to be similar to Schumacher going to Mercedes in 2010 in that it's very unlikely to yield the driver in question winning another title, but crucially boost the team in the long run. It's obvious that Hamilton can still win in the right car and the right team mate. Give him a 2014-2020 Mercedes versus the rest of those year's grid with Bottas as team mate and he wins until age 50.

It's just a question of Verstappen being an absolute freak in a Newey car and Leclerc being brutally fast over one lap and during shorter runs in race trim. He's not had a team mate that fast since his rookie season and that's even with respect to WDC winners Button and Rosberg. It's essentially like if Senna had he lived, had tried to fight Schumacher and Häkkinen at once in the late 90s with a slight decline of reflexes on top of things. The odds for him aren't great so I'll have to respect him for a dardevil move that could really swing both ways. At a personal level I really don't like him because of the political activism and that won't change. I'm banking on Leclerc making it all moot by being the faster Ferrari driver anyway.

I wish Hamilton would come down to earth a bit and understand he's been a very divisive character and start afresh, but I'm not expecting it. The save the earth thing and not backing it up with actual investments while having a private jet and burning fuel for a living was a complete PR disaster and I hope he's come around to it by now. The aggressively political t-shirt on the podium was also not pretty and he was lucky to not get heavily fined for that one. Vettel was/is someone who held up his words with real-world actions, like planting trees, sustainable farming, bee refuges and cleaning trash in the grandstands. It's quite easy to spot the difference between fake and real and that's quite evident in this case.

Getting a lot of engineers could be a big one. Ferrari need to take advantage of being within the Schengen Area as Britain will be looking to slow down immigration due to the housing crisis, meaning more paperwork for everyone. Italy doesn't have that, so engineers not from the UK will need a lot less paperwork to reside in Italy where high-skill labour will be in high demand and housing is available in massive quantities.

Above all though, to really win: Ferrari need to swing with a veto threat to set the budget cap at a level Ferrari and other manufacturer teams deem acceptable so that recruitment drives can be really successful. Mainly, demand more leeway into salaries for employees. Make it 50 employees excluded from the cap so that the best engineers really can be gotten. It's time to dictate the terms rather than leaving it to chance. No reason to be pleasing the privateers at your own detriment.

So how does Hamilton stack up among drivers to ever driver for Ferrari? Very highly, but it's well-documented that I hold Schumacher and Fangio above everyone else. It's just personal opinions, GOAT is very subjective and really means nothing. He's edging Alonso and Vettel in his generation and that's fair play to him.

Even all this being said, in spite of several good opportunities if he had a clean weekend, he's winless for two seasons now. So he's not someone I automatically assume will deliver the goods, but needless to say he's still a top five driver on the grid and Leclerc can't relax. He has to be the best version of himself to beat even a 40+ Hamilton.

That aside, we should crowdfund a real goat for Brembo
    Last edited by Tifoso Svedese; 1st February 2024 at 16:20.

I'm actually sickened to the bone reading this. My love for Ferrari has been intense since the days of Lauda. I'm so gutted to hear this. Lewis is the LAST F1 driver I would want in Ferrari.
    Ferrari are class and style, is he still going to rock up in his jewelry and clown clothes?

I'm sorry, but i'm so sick by this news.

Quote Originally Posted by Redfive View Post
    I'm actually sickened to the bone reading this. My love for Ferrari has been intense since the days of Lauda. I'm so gutted to hear this. Lewis is the LAST F1 driver I would want in Ferrari.
    Ferrari are class and style, is he still going to rock up in his jewelry and clown clothes?

don't forget the little "bike" he uses to move around the pitlane, like he can't use his feet the way everyone else does....lol...oh, i forgot, he's WAY too kool for that

Quote Originally Posted by Redfive View Post

I cannot stand his public personality but behind the scenes maybe he's alright but I'll never meet him so no idea on that. As for driving for Ferrari I would say no if up to me but he's been signed so I just want Ferrari to win. Drivers come and go but Ferrari has been in F1 from the start. If he was the fastest driver I wouldnt care if Putin drove the Ferrari or Bin Laden 20 years ago.

I AM NOT HAPPY.
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

Personally im 50-50 . Dont celebrate but dont argue either. For me its not gonna change the priorities inside the team. Lec will still be the reference because he is the fututre and both Vasseur and Elkhan knows it. Ham see that his years is mostly over and he cant compete 100% for the title. He just want to fulfill his last dream in F1 and that is to drive for Ferrari. Sure he will give his best but its not like will try to turn the team around him and away from Charles. He will just help the team in any way and if some good results will come ,ok !!!!
    For the team point i mostly see as a goodish choice since he will bring his personal and Merc knowledge and probably some mechanics ,and this i think will only improve things.
    The only thing i hope is that ,since they decide it and its become known, at least bring him from this year. Not for Ham himself , i dont care much, but because Sainz will be our biggest villain this year. He will only try to hard race Lec and dont care at all for the team !!!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Had no problems when Alonso joined Ferrari and have zero problem with Hamilton's announcement. Ferrari is the home of the best drivers, and Lewis deserves to be here. The raft of experience, knowledge and capability he's bringing with him will not only help Ferrari but Charles as well.

And there is rumour going on about Newey's departure from RB due to the bueget cap. So who knows, maybe Lewis being here would also attract him and may indulge him to join Ferrari.

Ferrari is where WDC champions go to fade away. It happened with Alonso, Vettel and now Hamilton.

As much as Ferrari tries hard to sign champions, their cars are not championship material.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

It is all over the internet and on the TV as well. I hope it will be confirmed soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Schaun View Post
    It is all over the internet and on the TV as well. I hope it will be confirmed soon.
    7pm I heard, so in 2 minutes.

Looks like Mercs website can't handle the traffic

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Ferrari is where WDC champions go to fade away. It happened with Alonso, Vettel and now Hamilton.

As much as Ferrari tries hard to sign champions, their cars are not championship material.
    Yeah, and what sort of success Alonso and Vettel achieved AFTER leaving Ferrari? I will answer, zero.

And it's quite telling that you've already written off Ferrari's future. But that's just a typical response from a RB fan like yourself.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees