Thread: 2024 Japanese Grand Prix - Practice & Qualifying Thread

One-shot Q3 for LEC , maybe 2 warmup laps
    Look like a dream team is coming

Well we're done

3 tenths down in sector 3 , nah that's not tyre warming problem

Quote Originally Posted by elnano14 View Post
    3 tenths down in sector 3 , nah that's not tyre warming problem
    It is. We are slower than Mercedes in the first sector.

This car is weird , either bad S1 good S3 or bad S3 good S1 . Tyre problem need to solve

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    It is. We are slower than Mercedes in the first sector.
    Then you explain what happened to the sector 3 gap, Leclerc did a 17.8, Sainz did a 17.7 while everybody else did 17.5 and 17.6
    Carlos couldn't even improve any sector time in his 2nd lap

Podium is still on the card here. Overtaking is hard but not impossible.

The SF-24 has a somewhat short deck in qualifying and this is now well established. In all the events, it's very difficult to get the temperature in the first corners. Especially with Leclerc. In Japan, S1 very slow for this. And if he changed the strategy to have more temperature in S1, he would overheat in S3. It's something they have to resolve in Maranello

@Formu1a

Quote Originally Posted by elnano14 View Post
    Then you explain what happened to the sector 3 gap, Leclerc did a 17.8, Sainz did a 17.7 while everybody else did 17.5 and 17.6
    Carlos couldn't even improve any sector time in his 2nd lap
    Tyres get cooled off on the straights. There is a long straight after turn 14.

Tyres get cooled off on the straights. There is a long straight after turn 14.
    I thought the tyres were overheating in S3 ?

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    The SF-24 has a somewhat short deck in qualifying and this is now well established. In all the events, it's very difficult to get the temperature in the first corners. Especially with Leclerc. In Japan, S1 very slow for this. And if he changed the strategy to have more temperature in S1, he would overheat in S3. It's something they have to resolve in Maranello @Formu1a
    They need to bring those updates. Red Bull already brought updates here, Mclaren will bring updates in Miami.

They need to bring those updates. Red Bull already brought updates here, Mclaren will bring updates in Miami.
    I expect Imola car would be a complete different car to current version . But having to waiting for another month is painful

Quote Originally Posted by Aviamata View Post
    I thought the tyres were overheating in S3 ?
    Sector 3 is nothing but a single right-left slow chicane. I don't see how it will overheat the tyres.

Sector 3 is nothing but a single right-left slow chicane. I don't see how it will overheat the tyres.
    I mean the tyres were overheating before S3 , and that make S3 so slow

Both S1 and S2 killing us

edit : S1 and S3

Sainz in a better position for tomorrow’s race, if Ferrari is faster in race pace.

Leclerc needs to get a good start else all the race he will be fighting with McLaren/Merc & Aston. It won’t be easy for him.

Hopefully if we get P3 & P4 would be a good damage limitation weekend & stay in WCC contention.

I mean the tyres were overheating before S3 , and that make S3 so slow
    Then how are we competitive in the S2? S1 is where overheating occurs, because of those fast corners. If we had overheating problem, then we would've struggled in the second sector and through the Suzuka S.

We lost all the time today in the first turn and the last two corners. And those corners don't overheat tyres.

Both S1 and S2 killing us
    S1 & S3 ….!!

This car is weird , either bad S1 good S3 or bad S3 good S1 . Tyre problem need to solve
    So we have gone to the other extreme of the tyre problem compared to last year. Will we ever be able to put everything together for God's sake

Quote Originally Posted by Aziz View Post
    So we have gone to the other extreme of the tyre problem compared to last year. Will we ever be able to put everything together for God's sake
    Yes it is the exact opposite of SF-23

Yes it is the exact opposite of SF-23
    Which is a good thing. Suzuka isn't Monaco, overtaking is possible here and the SF24 will come alive tomorrow.

That's it for the " all arounder" car that works everwhere. I was a good dream. From all praises of how good the car is in all corners in every conditions, we start the excuses again to explain the bad image. And the worse is that Lec is nowhere !!!!Tell last year we where saying the team had not treated him with car set up/ strategies etc .NOW ???? 2nd race his teammate outpaced him. And in the race he will have the excuse again ,that the starting l
    place didn't helped him ( like it was somebody elses fault)
    It's like you can't have faith in this team - driver. SAD!!!!

Which is a good thing. Suzuka isn't Monaco, overtaking is possible here and the SF24 will come alive tomorrow.
    My main concern is LEC in P8 will stuck behind HAM PIA ALO , i hope crazy safety car happend and that could save us with tyre advantage

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    That's it for the " all arounder" car that works everwhere. I was a good dream. From all praises of how good the car is in all corners in every conditions, we start the excuses again to explain the bad image. And the worse is that Lec is nowhere !!!!Tell last year we where saying the team had not treated him with car set up/ strategies etc .NOW ???? 2nd race his teammate outpaced him. And in the race he will have the excuse again ,that the starting l
    I see it coming at the end of FP3 , Ferrari pitwall doing Ferrari things

Suzuka is freezing at this time of the year, if we can't fire up the tyres for the crucial sector 1, then we are in for some pain.
    As I've said in the Australian GP thread, we were in for some pain the qualifying because of the low temperature and it did happened.

With ideal ambient and track temperature, the SF24 would've been super competitive here in qualifying.

But at the end of the day Saturday doesn't matter. And I'm expecting the car to be very competitive tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Where were you when Charles out-qualified Sainz 9 times in a row, starting from Japan last year. Or when Sainz was dog-slow in Abu Dhabi last year. The qualifying record is Charles 47 - Sainz 28.

My main concern is LEC in P8 will stuck behind HAM PIA ALO , i hope crazy safety car happend and that could save us with tyre advantage
    All depends on the start. Sainz needs to clear Norris and Leclerc needs to clear Piastri at the start. After that, we shall see. There will be safety car as well.

Where were you when Charles out-qualified Sainz 9 times in a row, starting from Japan last year. Or when Sainz was dog-slow in Abu Dhabi last year. The qualifying record is Charles 47 - Sainz 28.
    I was here .
    I'm saying thos because we (and me mostly) where consider him a champion material. And now that supposedly he has the team-car on his likings, he doesn't deliver. He outpaced by Sainz .DONT care if it is 4-3 / 4-2 or whatever the score is between them. I expect to be 4-0 . The be hom who won in Australia and outpaced his teammate in almost every race. Do you see Ves loses more then 1 or 2 times in a year??? That's who I was expecting Lec to be but he disappoints me . And besides Ferrari I had become a Lec fan because I saw some creatness in him . Now.......

LEC: "We need to improve in qualifying, it's as simple as that. The car seems to have good pace, but it's been a thing since the start of the season where we just struggle with our tyre warm up and can't maximise our performance in Q. I've tried several things throughout the session, some worked, some didn't, in the end I gave everything I had. Starting from P8 tomorrow, even if our race sims looked good, I'll be honest I don't think it's going to be easy for me."