Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guide to visiting Maranello

Guide to visiting Maranello

OK, so following a chat in the Ferrari Dreams thread I thought I would set this thread up for anyone with experieces of visiting Maranello to post and for those wishing to visit to perhaps post questions.

I have been a number of times with my first visit being in 1995 and my most recent a couple of years ago.

First the map I made. I believe this has been put elsewhere in the forum but I figured it made sense to have it here as well. Below is text explaining what you should find at the letters on the map.

The letters on the map correspond to the following.

a. Galleria Ferrari. There is quite a bit of parking outside the Galleria but if not you can pull up on the road in various places along the road Via D Ferrari that the Galleria is on. It’s not a huge museum but you do get up close to a good number of Ferrari road and racecars from various decades. Plus you can see engines, sometimes prototypes etc. They change the display from time to time so you never know what you will see exactly. There is also a café inside. It’s open at 9.30 until 6 although I think that’s extended to 7 in the summer months.

b. Formula 1 factory. Again it’s not a massive impressive building but it’s worth a look. Often on the right as you get to the factory entrance you will see the Ferrari transporters that are used to take the cars and equipment to the races in Europe. They are very impressive and you can just about see through and over the fences. No one seems to mind anyone taking a look or taking pictures.

c. Main gates for the Fiorano test track. You can’t really see any of the track from here buts its worth hanging around for a while as new cars and prototypes are driven round to hear, often on the back of a truck so they can be tested on the track. Not F1 cars though. These are built in a different factory and have direct access to the track. See b on the map.

d. Original Ferrari Factory entrance. This is the entrance to the factory and it is still very much used today. Not much to look at but as it’s the original building’s it’s a major part of the history. All the factory workers still use this entrance and I believe if you turn up to collect your new Ferrari, this is where you go in and out. (One day I wish!!!)

e. Cavallino Restaurant. The famous place that anyone that is in anyway connected to Ferrari has eaten in (plus myself!). Not cheap but its great if you get a chance. All the plates, glasses etc have the Ferrari logo’s on and the memorabilia on the wall is an incredible collection.

f. Modern road car factory. This is the massive and impressive buildings that road cars are built in. It’s not that old. Another good place to hand around and spot cars going out for test drives, especially ones covered is disguise. Get the camera ready! Also, just to the left of the entrance is the wind tunnel. This is massive. You simply cannot miss it. It’s well worth a look. You can’t get that close but it’s a very impressive building.

g. This is a good spot to watch cars going round the Fiorano test track. You can stand and watch through a mesh fence but there are normally barrels or rubbish bins left around which you can use for getting up higher and looking over the top. You only see a small section of the track but is a good place as the cars approach at speed and have to brake very hard, they then go round a fairly tight left hander and the accelerate hard out of the corner often getting the back end out if they are road cars.

h. This is the small monument to Gilles Villenerve. Its not very impressive buts it’s significant for all Tifosi for obvious reasons. It’s actually placed in a hedge which is carefully cut around it. However this means a lot of people miss it.

i. Red Café. A great place to eat either indoors or outdoors in the Piazza.

j. Across the Piazza just near the entrance to the Hotel Domus is the Enzo Ferrari Statue. A rather impressive thing, if a little odd!

k. This in a place on the main road in to Maranello from Modena. There is a flyover which runs along the northern edge of the Fiorano Test track. From this bit or road you can get a view of the circuit and with binoculars you can see the garage where they were on the cars whilst testing.
    Last edited by Asphalt_World; 6th August 2009 at 16:43.

Entrance to the Galleria. Lots of parking outside.

A few shots inside the Galleria.

A recreation of the pits.

Pit wall setup.

My eldest having a go in the F310.

Recreation of Enzo's office just before he passed away.

Small scale Fiorano!!!

Letter b on the map. Entrance to Scuderia Ferrari factory.

Letter c on the map. Entrance to Fiorano.

Shot taken over the gate at the entrance to Fiorano.

Letter d on the map. Original factory entrance.

Letter e on the map. Calavino Restaurant.

Letter f on the map. Modern road car factory and wind tunnel.

Just up the road from f in middle of roundabout!!!

Letter g on the map. Viewing spot for Fiorano.

Letter h on the map. Statue of GV.

Letter i on the map. Red Cafe and central Piazza.

Letter j on the map. Enzo Ferrari Statue.

You can just make out Enzo at the top in this one.

Sorry but I do not have any pics from letter k on the map!!!

Finally, a few pics from round and about Maranello.

There are some nice parks which we spent time in. Good for children to play and relaxing in general.

Leaving Maranello.......

Great thread
    Forza Ferrari

This looks awsome i realy wish i could visit Maranello one day and i think i will!
    I was watching a documentary on national geographic about Maranelo but they were only casting the road car factory and some of the museum i think...howewer the Ferrari factory its a best place to work because of the high standards and all
    Awesome thread
    Last edited by Dimsa; 7th August 2009 at 18:21.

Awesome thread!!

Thanks so very much.

I want to go to Italia sooooo badly: personal reasons, and to see that.

Wonder if I will ever get to go again?

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Well I am very lucky because I have family in Italy. Aunt and Uncle in Rome and my brother currently lives in Cremona which is not that long a drive from Maranello.

Have linked this thread as a guide from this page - http://www.thescuderia.net/ferrarifaq.shtml thanks mate
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by suffolkben View Post
    Well I am very lucky because I have family in Italy. Aunt and Uncle in Rome and my brother currently lives in Cremona which is not that long a drive from Maranello.
    I do too (actually have way more family there than here), but the exchange rate is just so awful, that it's not do-able.

Toscana and Liguria here

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Thanks Greig. I feel very flattered

Brilliant photos, I really HAVE to go someday. Unfortunately no relatives there though...
    Forza Jules

I have no relatives there either but hopefully one day i can go to Maranello and Fiorano. It looks wonderful with the displays and heritage and i'd love to eat in the restaurant too. The parks look nice aswell. Definately one of my "dreams".

Power, Passion, Heritage, Beauty, Success = Scuderia Ferrari
    Magnum, Coke, Vodka = Kimi Raikkonen

a few more pics from Maranello

Thank you very much suffolkben .I'm going there on september,for the third time and it will be very useful.

Some more info about Maranello [shops,restaurants,etc],the Ferrari complex and another car factories at Modena:
    http://www.elenaferrari.net/ferrariclubespana.html
    Though in spanish is quite understandable.

Okay,now my turn!.I was at Maranello [what a wonderful place to be ] last September 23rd.I took several photos,both at the Galleria and outdoors.Here are some...

As a curiosity,now you [yes,YOU the reader ] can drive a Ferrari 430,at Maranello and outskirts for 20 minutes time.You only need a driving license,and cash in an amount of 160 euros,plus another 20 if you want to be videotaped [highly recommended when talking to friends ].Of course,a "driving instructor" goes with you,just in case

Red5: thanks for posting those pictures
    Driving the 430 & getting it videoed would be an absolute must (i would pay 160 euro's without hesitation).
    In the last few years i hoped to get a drive in a Ferrari road car as a birthday present....it hasn't happened yet...... I would do it anywhere, Thruxton/Mallory do it if i remember right, ideally Silvestone would be fantastic but Fiorano would be the ultimate

I haven't given up hope yet

Thanks Ant Raikkonen,will be more pics to come .

As for driving the Ferrari...errr...I didn't do that [yes,I'm quite contradictory].Driving scares me to death,let alone driving a supercar with 500 hp.I offered to pay the testdrive to my girlfriend,but she too refused because of safety reasons.Anyway she has regretted it,and won't do that again .To know how is it like,check this web site http://www.warmup.it/shop/home.php

Agree with you with the price,almost a bargain when you realize, here in Spain, something alike can easily double or treble the money.

You should go to Maranello and Modena,there are lots of things to see [cars included],people is friendly and the food is magnificent!!!

Any pictures of Michael's statue ? It should be in Maranello
    http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3536_1.gif

More from the Galleria

Some shots at the streets….

At the "Ristorante Cavallino"

I was there

Guide to visiting Maranello

Maranello weather essentials
    Month
    High
    Low
    Jul
    85°F 29°C
    65°F 18°C
    Aug
    84°F 28°C
    64°F 17°C
    Sep
    75°F 23°C
    57°F 13°C
    Oct
    64°F 17°C
    50°F 10°C
    Nov
    52°F 11°C
    40°F 4°C
    Dec
    43°F 6°C
    32°F 0°C

apartamentos panama

Maranello - for each real Ferrarista Mecca in the world. Ferrari Ferrari factory and the home is located about 20 km south of Modena, the famous Italian region Emilia Arroyo Manie 170 km southeast of Milan old city. Maranello - Italy's secret funds - is important in the region, small towns are signs from the exit "Modena North " from the right A1 motorway Milan Bologna

What awesome, awesome pics. Thanks for sharing guys

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

If your in Europe try to book a flight to Bologna airport with Ryanair, rent a car and drive around 45 min to Maranello.
    In Maranello you can book a hotel, cheap hotels ar not hard to find, the rest is up to you what to do.
    I did it about 3x times last year and to be true it's a steal just going over there, i put up around €75.- 2 way flight and car rental was also a joke for 4 days around €64.- mileage free. (i left from Dusseldorf weeze airport to Bologna airport)
    The first pic is standing from the appartment i was staying at from my friend in Maranello, the second pic is from inside the factory showing the appartment from the otherside

He has his penthouse just behind the Grand hotel in front of the entrance of the Ferrari Factory that is the left tower on the pice, top floor
    Last edited by ruud king; 20th February 2011 at 19:54.

Great thread, really interesting
    I really must go there one day!
    Forza Ferrari...Stefano....Fernando

What a fantastic thread.
    The next time I'm asked "So where do you want to go then?" I have my answer ready!!! Yeah!

Thanks a lot

Someday *sigh*

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

What a great thread. It's without doubt a box to tick off in the life of anyone that adores Ferrari. I hope to visit Maranello one day, with a Monza GP trip. That would be perfect

Awesome pics!!!