Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202132 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 F1 news/rumours

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    then i'd say throw in that 2021 engine in there and run it ALL DAY LONG FOR 5 STRAIGHT DAYS.....that'll prove its reliability as well as have an idea of how good the engine is.....
    I think Ferrari is okay in the corners, it's straight line speed where Ferrari is suffering. I say max it out on the straights and slow it down in the corners....to not give away all the cards just yet.

Mercedes plays this game during testing. Then come race day.....well,,,,,you know what happens.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Lewis by far is the best on the current grid. Just by his acknowledging his pole and winning results in a given season his talent cannot be denied. He gets the most out of that great car he's driving.
    So would Grojean or my grandma if they were driving that TAXI....get a gold of yourself, will ya???
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    I think Ferrari is okay in the corners, it's straight line speed where Ferrari is suffering. I say max it out on the straights and slow it down in the corners....to not give away all the cards just yet.

Mercedes plays this game during testing. Then come race day.....well,,,,,you know what happens.
    I’m with ya brotha....let’s hope the amount of extra ponies ferrari has for this year engine will be almost on par with Merc....
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    So would Grojean or my grandma if they were driving that TAXI....get a gold of yourself, will ya???
    So.,; your grandma would have come in 1st. and beat Russell if she was in that taxi!!! I believe you! Not over the virus on his come back race and Sir Lewis finished on the podium !! What a car !! I'm happy Crashjean is OK so I'll not talk about him ! I agree that with the extra HP and Charles & Sainz racing each other; Ferrari got a good shot at 2nd place! If anything Max will have to to work harder.

Lewis by far is the best on the current grid. Just by his acknowledging his pole and winning results in a given season his talent cannot be denied. He gets the most out of that great car he's driving.
    Why do you believe none of the other drivers can get more out of the Merc than he can?
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    Why do you believe none of the other drivers can get more out of the Merc than he can?
    I never said I believe that. As of now it's Lewis who's setting all the records with the car. Still sick as hell from the virus and he came back and put the car in 3rd. and got to be on the podium. How much more can he get out of the car? WDCs, WCCs , soon 100 poles maybe his 8th WDC . I'd say he's getting 100% of what that car has to offer. If any other driver would be doing the same is just a guess. Maybe Maya Weng if she had a chance. Not a for sure either way. Lewis did it and is still doing it as of 2020.
    Last edited by Brembo; 24th January 2021 at 15:49.

If a back of the grid, no points chump like Russel can win in that car, then Lewis with 7 years at Merc should have won even with full blown covid and a partial stroke.

Teams cant run new engines in testing when they run 2 year old cars. This is why McLaren couldn't test when they lost Honda engines. I'm sure cars have to be as they were raced.

Toto Wolff to #ORF today if the problem with Hamilton's contract is just time or content:

"As is the case with negotiations, you come from different corners, but that's quite normal. We have a solid basis in our relationship, we have enjoyed great success and we want to do that in the future but sometimes you have to talk things out and that took us some time or it's still going on but before Bahrain at the latest we have to sign something."

#ORF Is there a deadline?

Toto Wolff "No, the lawyers are working hard, of course we don't make life easy for them when we both argue over Zoom and keep sending curved balls to the lawyers. But he is now in the US and I'm here and at some point we will finalise it."

#ORF Is there a plan B if Lewis doesn't sign?

Toto Wolff "Yes, I've already threatened him that I'll be the next in line to sit in the car." Finally an Austrian in F1 again! Yes finally! We just have to adapt the car, that's the only problem.

But that's not up for discussion

Toto: Exactly.We never played the Russell card either. He's sold himself incredibly well & 1day he'll be in a top car but our long-standing partnership is not about any threatening. We know we want to race together & now we just have to negotiate.

Toto Wolff has been in Kitzbühel in quaratine for 10 days after a positive test but it's all fine now and he never had any symptoms.

Toto Wolff: "We planned to stay for some days in Kitzbühel, then out of nowhere I had a positive Covid test. So we quarantined ourselves for 10 days here." Everything is fine now? "Thankfully no symptoms, because it can also go badly, but we are now out of quarantine."

Toto Wolff on the current status of Lewis's contract negotiations:
    • he made it clear that they want to continue
    • at the very latest before Bahrain the contract needs to be signed
    • they never played the "Russell card" on Lewis

[QUOTE=Silent Bob;1039200]If a back of the grid, no points chump like Russel can win in that car, then Lewis with 7 years at Merc should have won even with full blown covid and a partial stroke.

Wow ! You really really have Russell figured out ! You described his driving to a tee. Even in his Williams he has Merc power to no avail. Perhaps Button can help him get Williams back and at least out of the last place!! Lewis did win virus and all . He wound up with his 7th WDC. And the Mexicano Perez did win that race from 18th to the front to win! I'm sure no driver just let him pass. I'm glad to hear how Binotto has moved up to 2021 with Ferrari's chances at the front. Charles, Sainz, Perez,Max combos, Merc beware! March can't come soon enough!
    Last edited by Brembo; 25th January 2021 at 08:07.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Toto Wolff to #ORF today if the problem with Hamilton's contract is just time or content:

"As is the case with negotiations, you come from different corners, but that's quite normal. We have a solid basis in our relationship, we have enjoyed great success and we want to do that in the future but sometimes you have to talk things out and that took us some time or it's still going on but before Bahrain at the latest we have to sign something."

#ORF Is there a deadline?

Toto Wolff "No, the lawyers are working hard, of course we don't make life easy for them when we both argue over Zoom and keep sending curved balls to the lawyers. But he is now in the US and I'm here and at some point we will finalise it."

#ORF Is there a plan B if Lewis doesn't sign?

Toto Wolff "Yes, I've already threatened him that I'll be the next in line to sit in the car." Finally an Austrian in F1 again! Yes finally! We just have to adapt the car, that's the only problem.

But that's not up for discussion

Toto: Exactly.We never played the Russell card either. He's sold himself incredibly well & 1day he'll be in a top car but our long-standing partnership is not about any threatening. We know we want to race together & now we just have to negotiate.

Toto Wolff has been in Kitzbühel in quaratine for 10 days after a positive test but it's all fine now and he never had any symptoms.

Toto Wolff: "We planned to stay for some days in Kitzbühel, then out of nowhere I had a positive Covid test. So we quarantined ourselves for 10 days here." Everything is fine now? "Thankfully no symptoms, because it can also go badly, but we are now out of quarantine."

Toto Wolff on the current status of Lewis's contract negotiations:
    • he made it clear that they want to continue
    • at the very latest before Bahrain the contract needs to be signed
    • they never played the "Russell card" on Lewis
    I suspect they didn't have to 'play the Russell card' because they all know it's already there.

Red Bull and Honda deal in jeopardy: teams disagree on engine freeze

With great optimism, Red Bull Racing announced last week that it would drive Honda engines in 2022. The deal between the two parties seemed just a formality and the engine freeze was to come. However, there is currently a major stalemate in Formula 1, RacingNews365 has learned.

The Formula 1 teams seemed to be heading for an agreement on the freeze of engine development, the so-called engine freeze, from 2022. It was one of the great demands that Red Bull set to race independently with Honda engines from that season.

The Japanese engine supplier will officially leave Formula 1 at the end of 2021, which means that Red Bull must look for an alternative solution. Because the competition is by no means hot, Mercedes in the lead, to provide Red Bull with engines and the team of Max Verstappen wanted to keep control, an ambitious plan was set up to continue racing with the engines of Honda.

Red Bull would take over the knowledge, technology and part of the staff from the Japanese and thus from 2022 race with the Honda engines, which will be renamed and given a (sponsor) name to be determined. A precondition for this, however, was that the development of the F1 engines would be stopped. This is because Red Bull is not in a position, both technologically and financially, to further develop the engines.

The engine freeze was discussed by the F1 teams, the FIA, the F1 and the engine suppliers. Partly because of the corona crisis, all parties involved want to drastically reduce costs and stopping development would be a good option for this. The parties involved were therefore not unwilling to do so.

One aspect that not everyone was happy with is a Balance of Performance system. If a particular engine supplier would have a major advantage after the introduction of the engine freeze, then there should be a mechanism that can ensure that that advantage is limited and the performance of the different engines is equalized.

A meeting would be scheduled last Monday to vote on the proposals. Of the 34 votes (1 per team, 10 for the FIA, 10 for F1 and 1 per engine supplier), 27 must vote for the proposals in order for them to be implemented. However, this vote was not taken. A senior Red Bull source told RacingNews365 : "The goodwill that was there last Friday suddenly disappeared on Monday."

An important Formula 1 meeting is planned for 11 February, where the engine program for the coming years will be discussed. Next Wednesday there will also be a meeting between all team bosses, but the engine freeze will not be the most important item on the agenda.

Certain teams are not in favor of the engine freeze as long as they do not know what the new engine formula for F1 will be, which should take effect in 2025 or 2026.

The competition is also concerned about the possible big step (s) that Honda has taken in recent months. Red Bull team boss Christian Horner and advisor Helmut Marko firmly believe that the Japanese have built a very good engine and will do everything they can to say goodbye with the world title in 2021.

The Balance of Performance, which would be dictated by restrictions with the fuel flow meter, also causes discussion. Not all parties involved agree that this is the right way to create a level playing field, where that level playing field itself is also a source of discussion.

https://translate.google.com/transla...search&pto=aue

Uh oh. Looks like fans aren't too impressed by Ham. Wonder if this is going to influence decisions.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/vi..._Sign_Russell/

Lewis wants an NBA styled contract where all money that flows in the mercedes direction he obtains a piece of.We are talking about a contract worth hundreds of millions.If mercedes agree then a precedence will be set.His salary will be higher than the cost cap.The final result will be interesting. The fan base are calling him greedy and for mercedes to drop him and promote Russell.Is lewis rolling the dice.? Thank God its not ferraris headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    Uh oh. Looks like fans aren't too impressed by Ham. Wonder if this is going to influence decisions.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/vi..._Sign_Russell/
    Honestly F1 by my humble opinion will be better place without "freedom and whatever else fighter". He had enough... So many WDC on silver plate. Enough is enough!

Na i want to see Charles beat him on a regular basis.If mercedes give in to his demands the pressure will be really on lewis and the mercedes f1 team.The wolf will not be spared if both titles are not delivered.It is the wolf driving the lewis agenda with the board of Damlier.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    Na i want to see Charles beat him on a regular basis.If mercedes give in to his demands the pressure will be really on lewis and the mercedes f1 team.The wolf will not be spared if both titles are not delivered.It is the wolf driving the lewis agenda with the board of Damlier.
    with that rocket ship, any one can deliver (except VB ). Russell showed that

So maybe there is a chance Ferrari could spring a surprise this year. If We're on top of these changes that are now expected to be bigger than first thought, we might have a decent chance. Ferrari brought a couple different floors to test last year. Hope maybe they found something special.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/feature...-talking-point

When Formula 1 teams signed off on some detail tweaks to the floor dimensions for 2021 in a bid to cut back on downforce, it did not generate a tremendous amount of fanfare.

It was hardly a surprise, though. For what initially appeared to be quite small dimension tweaks - barely 10cm of floor area being removed ahead of the rear tyre - the difference is pretty much indistinguishable on television or from trackside.

Further changes that followed, including removal of fins on the brake ducts and a reduction in the depth of strakes in the diffuser, are the sort of details that car designers will spot a mile off, but most observers would be stretched to notice without them being pointed out.

PLUS: What you need to know about F1 2021

So, while F1 is heading into an unprecedented campaign where cars will look virtually identical - especially with the chassis being carried over - there has been a growing acceptance among teams over the winter weeks that things are not going to be the same at all.

While more in-your-face aero changes - such as hugely different front wing dimensions, the allowing and banning of shark fins and rules to get rid of ugly noses - made the cars look dramatically differently without causing too much headache for the teams, the opposite is true now.

That minor tweak to the floor has rapidly been confirmed as posing a much bigger performance shift than some had imagined initially - and that is why, when the cars are unleashed at the start of the campaign, it looks like becoming one of the major early season talking points.

As Alpine's Pat Fry said: "How it actually changes the aerodynamics at the back of the car is quite dramatic, so it will be who actually manages to cope with that best really."

The reason the issue has become so big is because the tiny cutaway in the floor (above), which may appear to be an innocuous area of the car, has actually been a key focus on development due to the potential performance gains.

That much was fairly obvious judging by just how much floor designs changed on cars race-by-race, and how intricate the work on this area has been.

For teams well knew that mastering the hole, slots, fins and Venetian blinds on the floor were essential to help feed the air into the right areas of the diffuser to help boost downforce levels.

"[The] triangular cut-out to the edges of the floor in front of the rear wheels which, when you see it you'll think, 'That doesn't look that big' but on its own, in its rawest form, if you just chop that area off your car, it'll take about a second a lap away from the car"
    James Allison
    There was also a pretty big gulf between what teams like Mercedes and Red Bull were doing with their complex solutions and ideas, and what smaller outfits could do with their more limited resources.

PLUS: The developments that hint at 2021's F1 designs

While teams had initially expected a level of disturbance from the floor change when they began evaluating the impact in windtunnels last year, it is only in recent weeks that the scale of the impact has become properly apparent.

Mercedes technical director James Allison suggested that just the single change to the floor will send teams back a massive chunk.

"[The] triangular cut-out to the edges of the floor in front of the rear wheels which, when you see it you'll think, 'That doesn't look that big' but on its own, in its rawest form, if you just chop that area off your car, it'll take about a second a lap away from the car," he said.

Allison has talked of there having been an "entertaining ride" in Mercedes' windtunnel and CFD departments as the team has tried to regain some of the lost downforce.

AlphaTauri's Jody Eggington reckons the tweaks will be a "disruptor" for everybody, and could have a part to play in shaking up the competitive order compared to last season.

Although Red Bull's Helmut Marko spoke recently about hopes his team has of recovering the estimated 20% overall loss in downforce with its RB16B so it can end up back at the performance level of Abu Dhabi, rival outfits are sceptical about such a feat being possible.

Allied to the aero rule changes is the fact that predictions suggest the 2021 tyres will be one second per lap slower, which, cumulatively, could result in two or three seconds being wiped away from lap times.

For the driver, the lap time itself will not be noticeable - but what will be is the lack of downforce. The cars will not feel as good as they did last year, and the rear especially will not be as confidence-inspiring as it has been in recent seasons.

Following a run of seven years where downforce levels have consistently gone up - whether incrementally or as the result of major rule changes like in 2017 - it is going to be a pretty unsettling feeling jumping into a car that does not feel as good.

Sitting in a virtually identical cockpit to last season, drivers are not going to be happy about a car that feels slower and is worse than before. The changes will also make it harder to gauge where the car has improved over last year, or where further tweaks are needed.

Things won't feel as comfortable, and for drivers that means there is going to be an increased element of unease, and a difficulty pinpointing if any bad feelings they have with the 2021 cars are down to the rule changes or something more fundamental. The change is going to be big and we are going to be hearing about it a lot.

As Allison said: "If you are looking at this new season of 2021 and you are thinking it is just going to be a carryover of what we saw in 2020, well, don't be fooled by anyone who is telling you that."

In fact, you can be certain that when the quotes come in from day one of pre-season testing in Bahrain, the reality of just how different F1 2021 is going to be will hit home for everyone.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/77215...om-stroll.html

Guess Stroll 'IS' only in it for the money. Does anyone even remember what Racing Point started out as? It's been Aston Martin, Racing Point, Force India, and I think it was Spyker before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/77215...om-stroll.html

Guess Stroll 'IS' only in it for the money. Does anyone even remember what Racing Point started out as? It's been Aston Martin, Racing Point, Force India, and I think it was Spyker before that.
    Jordan-->Midland-->Spyker-->Force India--->Racing Point

And will end up no point.When stroll sees his investment hit the wall he will cut and run just like the others.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/77282...n-bahrain.html

Film day in Bahrain
    The Italian branch of Motorsport.com, however, also reports today that Ferrari has scheduled a film day at the circuit on 11 March, one day before the official start of the winter tests in Bahrain. Leclerc and Sainz will then already be in action with the SF21. In total the drivers are allowed to cover a maximum of one hundred kilometres on the Bahrain International Circuit in the new Ferrari. Yet another small advantage

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    Lewis wants an NBA styled contract where all money that flows in the mercedes direction he obtains a piece of.We are talking about a contract worth hundreds of millions.If mercedes agree then a precedence will be set.His salary will be higher than the cost cap.The final result will be interesting. The fan base are calling him greedy and for mercedes to drop him and promote Russell.Is lewis rolling the dice.? Thank God its not ferraris headache.
    When Kimi signed with Ferrari 2007 to 2009 his annual pay was @ $51 million a year! At 41 yrs. old he has in 329 races 21 wins. Kimi's main concern when negotiating with any team was his pay. That I believe is how it should be. The team can say yes or no and so can and should the driver. Seb also did a good job signing with Ferrari @ 50 million. Merc already got and will continue to get their moneys worth with who & what they got. It takes a special talent to be a F-1 driver and good at it. They deserve what ever $$ they can get.

I never said I believe that. As of now it's Lewis who's setting all the records with the car. Still sick as hell from the virus and he came back and put the car in 3rd. and got to be on the podium. How much more can he get out of the car? WDCs, WCCs , soon 100 poles maybe his 8th WDC . I'd say he's getting 100% of what that car has to offer. If any other driver would be doing the same is just a guess. Maybe Maya Weng if she had a chance. Not a for sure either way. Lewis did it and is still doing it as of 2020.
    You must have misunderstood my question. I did not ask, who is the most accomplished driver. I asked, who is the best driver. Surely you appreciate the difference between the two? LH's accomplishments cannot be used to argue that he is the best driver since, by your own admission, his accomplishments are a result of his car and not his driving talent. Do you follow that logic?
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    You must have misunderstood my question. I did not ask, who is the most accomplished driver. I asked, who is the best driver. Surely you appreciate the difference between the two? LH's accomplishments cannot be used to argue that he is the best driver since, by your own admission, his accomplishments are a result of his car and not his driving talent. Do you follow that logic?
    I asked you to answer that same question and am still waiting. Give me your answer and I'll then let you know if I agree with you or not and why.
    Last edited by Brembo; 31st January 2021 at 05:29.

I asked you to answer that same question and am still waiting. Give me your answer and I'll then let you know if I agree with you or not and why.
    Sorry I only saw that now because unfortunately you edited your post after I had responded to it. Nonetheless, I'll gladly answer once you clear the misunderstanding between talent and accomplishment and then answer accordingly. I'm not going to answer my own question first. I'm not in the habit of talking to myself.
    Forza Ferrari

OK accomplished makes best; driver wise. We have many new drivers doing great and coming up. Sainz and Charles combo looks to be the ones to watch. Max , Perez, Dan in the fight for up front. Russell seems to be the only driver who just can't get out of the zeros. Blame it on his car just like fans blame the car on Lewis. Ferrari accomplished more HP and less down force for 2021. The best may well be on the way!
    Last edited by Brembo; 1st February 2021 at 05:20.

Haas is well on schedule. The parts of the new car are almost ready. By mid-February, the VF-21 should be completely ready. But the engine can't be fired up because Ferrari engineers can't come to England. Atm it looks like they can only fire up the engine at testing.
    #AMus

For the first time Haas is assembling their new cars in the factory in Banbury. This is due to the new homologation regs, because many parts have to be taken over from the previous car and those are already in the Banbury.
    # AMus

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Haas is well on schedule. The parts of the new car are almost ready. By mid-February, the VF-21 should be completely ready. But the engine can't be fired up because Ferrari engineers can't come to England. Atm it looks like they can only fire up the engine at testing.
    #AMus

For the first time Haas is assembling their new cars in the factory in Banbury. This is due to the new homologation regs, because many parts have to be taken over from the previous car and those are already in the Banbury.
    # AMus
    F1 keeps talking rubbish about road relevance, how is this road relevant when you cant switch an engine on without a team of highly specialised mechanics. Should be able to fire an F1 car up with a key ignition. New rule should be driver starts the car.

Drivers DO start the engine when they are on the grid.

Quote Originally Posted by tpe View Post
    Drivers DO start the engine when they are on the grid.
    Exactly, or when a driver has an excursion off track and the engine shits off.....they use the mug-k to start the beast