Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Bahrain GP Free Practice and Qualifying

Bahrain GP Bahrain Grand Prix – “We can improve even further”

Kimi and Seb look ahead to the remainder of the weekend

Sakhir, March 6 – Topping the timesheets on Friday does not bring any points, and Scuderia Ferrari drivers Kimi Raikkonen and Sebastian Vettel are well aware that the Bahraini weekend has just begun. Nevertheless, their comments after the first day of practice reflected the hard work that the whole team had carried out. Kimi had to pull off the track and stop the car right at the end of the session due to a loose front right wheel, when his pitwall promptly informed him that something wasn’t right.

“It was a pretty straightforward day and the car felt ok”, said Kimi. “As on any Friday, we tried different things, tested and learned as much as possible. The feeling was pretty much the same everywhere, but in certain zones of the track we want to do better. If we look purely at lap times it was OK, but that doesn’t tell you much; It’s only the first day and it’s impossible to know what the others were doing. At the end of the second session, right after the pit-stop, I felt some vibrations in the car and the team told me to slow down and park the car. We found out that the front wheel was a bit loose, so we had to stop. For sure we still have to improve; tonight we’ll put all the data together to try and do even better”.

“It is difficult to say where we are just from one day of practice” Seb commented “but we did make some progress. In the long runs we can do better, so let’s see what happens tomorrow. We made some mistakes here and there, but we tried to get the rhythm for qualifying. This is the time you need to try and take the car to the limit, especially this evening because conditions are the same as those you will have tomorrow and on Sunday night. I don’t have any conclusions to draw after the results we got today. We focus on ourselves and mostly try to get a better feeling with the car, as we still have some work to do, but I think we can improve further”.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Some input from AMuS:

Ferrari seems to be better especially in slower corners compared to Melbourne according to the Merc engineers.

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DaHZLlNWsAEpLYz.jpg

looks so much better than the daytime tracks, not sure if was posted before
    Floodlit supermarket car park..
    Trying to be less angry..

According to the BBC, HAM has a 5-place grid penalty for gearbox..

Trying to be less angry..

After a request by Mercedes, Pirelli will bring special tyres with a reduced tread to Barcelona, Paul Ricard & Silverstone to avoid blistering.

AMuS: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...e-laufflaeche/

well well well, then Pirelli must emphatically oblige them then. jeeezzzusss!!!

Ferrari should lodge a complaint about the Empire getting preferential treatment regarding this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post

Ferrari should lodge a complaint about the Empire getting preferential treatment regarding this matter.
    But then apparently we would be whiners and crybabies. Surely Merc weren't the only team to complain if they were then that is a joke and Ferrari should be asking Pirelli questions.

FerrariSteve Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Ham set for 5 place grid penalty for gearbox change.
    uhm.. check 20+ posts back :D

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post

It’s looking like a season where Pirelli changed the tyre in mid-season which turned out RB domination & vet won the championship. Don’t know which year that was.

Very excited about qualifying tomorrow. Very optimistic for this season! I think Ferrari has figured out how to get Merc under the current regs. Ferrari looks like they want a car that is fastest on the fastest parts of the track and is willing to lose a bit in the twisty bits. Ferrari is going to pass a lot of cars this year and is going to be HARD to pass themselves.

The engine has improved and less aero = less drag = more top speed = faster where it counts in the RACE!

I'm liking what I've seen so far, and I think the big difference in time in Melbourne in qualy was simply b/c Hamilton is driving a car he's used to (and he put in a killer qualy lap w/ party mode) and Seb has a new mount that he's not quite feeling 100% yet, but when he does...

Heck, even Kimi looks fast at the moment!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    It’s looking like a season where Pirelli changed the tyre in mid-season which turned out RB domination & vet won the championship. Don’t know which year that was.
    Redbull was dominating regardless of the tyre situation; it was more fair then. Redbull had the best package all the way around whilst not having "strat 14", "quali-mode" or "party-mode" Both were at each others throats between the 2010- 2013 dominating years.

2013 - Pirelli has hit out at Red Bull for again criticising its tyres on the back of a dominant performance from Sebastian Vettel in the Canadian Grand Prix. https://www.eurosport.com/formula-1/...67/story.shtml

2013 - Red Bull boss on Pirelli tyres: 'F1 nothing to do with racing any more' - http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/22509847

2011 - Red Bull and Pirelli launch investigation into Vettel's tyre burst in Abu Dhabi.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/for...stigation.html

I say, let Pirelli make the changes for the "Empire".....they're gonna loose anyways IMO.

Not going to welcome the misfortune of others... it may boomerang back to Ferrari.... hoping for a reliable weekend from the boys in red...
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Not going to welcome the misfortune of others... it may boomerang back to Ferrari.... hoping for a reliable weekend from the boys in red...
    Ferrari has had its fair share of gremlins over the past few years. It's about time Mercedes, Hamilton, and their fans experience how it feels for once, and I am DELIGHTED.

Disappointed Since 2010

This is a great opportunity for Ferrari in the face of Lewis’ penalty. However, we must always remember 2 things.

1st: focus on ourselves. Don’t arrogantly think for one second that we’ve got this in the bag because of their penalty. We saw what is possible in Japan and Malaysia last year. STAY HUMBLE!

2nd: you shouldn’t need to wish misfortune on your competitors to win. We had good pace today and IF that advantage is legitimate over Mercedes, we deserve to beat then fair and square. Not because of a penalty. In many ways I find this disappointing.

Fingers crossed our pace is legitimate and translates into quali and the race. I can’t deny that I am excited!

I believe that Ferrari needs to lodge a protest, the rules are the same for everyone.
    Mercedes had the same knowledge about the specs of the tyres, they did not do a good job, so changing the tyres to fit the car is wrong.
    Back to the drawing board for them, even if that means losing the WCC/WDC for them, really that simple.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by JPBD View Post
    This is a great opportunity for Ferrari in the face of Lewis’ penalty. However, we must always remember 2 things.

1st: focus on ourselves. Don’t arrogantly think for one second that we’ve got this in the bag because of their penalty. We saw what is possible in Japan and Malaysia last year. STAY HUMBLE!

2nd: you shouldn’t need to wish misfortune on your competitors to win. We had good pace today and IF that advantage is legitimate over Mercedes, we deserve to beat then fair and square. Not because of a penalty. In many ways I find this disappointing.

Fingers crossed our pace is legitimate and translates into quali and the race. I can’t deny that I am excited!
    Absolutely agree with you.
    To be fair, I want to see wheel to wheel battle with Lewis from vet or Kimi, then red cars come out on top. That gives a pleasant feeling for me.
    Last edited by nani_s23; 7th April 2018 at 08:11.

Getting too excited about HAM's grid penalty is dangerous and it could happen to anyone, so let's not count our chickens. Never tempt fate through someone else's misfortune.

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    I believe that Ferrari needs to lodge a protest, the rules are the same for everyone.
    Mercedes had the same knowledge about the specs of the tyres, they did not do a good job, so changing the tyres to fit the car is wrong.
    Back to the drawing board for them, even if that means losing the WCC/WDC for them, really that simple.
    I'm very sure that if this was bad for Ferrari, they would have lodge a complain.

If Ferrari didn't, then it either meant it's beneficial for Ferrari as well, or that news was not true.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Getting too excited about HAM's grid penalty is dangerous and it could happen to anyone, so let's not count our chickens. Never tempt fate through someone else's misfortune.
    well the penalty is only five places anyway, it's not like he's starting at the back of the grid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    well the penalty is only five places anyway, it's not like he's starting at the back of the grid.
    Plus it's an easier circuit to overtake on compared to Melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post

Quote Originally Posted by JPBD View Post

I agree!

Be exited merc have some early season set backs at the moment the pendulum swings our way ever so slightly but rest assured the merc will bounce back stay tuned.ferrari already understand this.

FerrariSteve Guest
    Pirelli & Mercedes cheating AGAIN!

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/982343687165296640

anyone remember the 'dodgy' extra tyre testing they did just before they became so dominant?

any links to fp3?
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Quote Originally Posted by vcs316 View Post
    any links to fp3?
    http://www.vipbox.fi/formula-1/54808...ractice-3.html

Vet car has a problem where a part came of beside sidepod. Work is going on.

Ugh very annoying, kimi had pit issues yesterday, seb stuck with no laps with bargeboard problems, valuable time lost, to get into the groove and setup for quali and race
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    Ugh very annoying, kimi had pit issues yesterday, seb stuck with no laps with bargeboard problems, valuable time lost, to get into the groove and setup for quali and race
    This session is pointless the track is nothing like it will be for quali and race most of the set up work will be complete

Seb has come out on track. Issues look gone