Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2022 Azerbaijan GP: Post Race Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    Ferrari brought no updates during testing. RBR and Merc both came out with B spec cars, Red Bull's was a significant step forward. Mercedes, on paper looked great, but nothing suggests it was actually all that much better. Either way, both teams had big updates before race 1, while Ferrari had none.

Mercedes was terrible in comparison to Ferrari in Bahrain. 1.22% slower than Ferrari in quali, 1.75% slower in the race based on fastest laps. From Spain, after Ferrari's "huge update" Mercedes has had fastest race laps 2 of the 3 races, and has been closer in quali pace than they were in Bahrain or Saudi. Plus Merc has 100% points scoring in the last 3 races, including 2 podiums, while Ferrari has just 1 podium and 3 DNF's. Mercedes has closed the gap.

Alpine was pretty fast in quali to start the season, but way off Ferrari in race pace. 2.29% and 1.6% in the first 2 races, plus very unreliable. Now Alpine are much more reliable,and their race pace is much closer to Ferrari. 2 of 3 races had better fastest laps, though their quali pace isn't much better. Alpine has 5 points scoring positions in the last 3 races. They likely will struggle in all the power races to come, as the Renault is still probably the worst engine on the grid. But I'd say enough suggests Alpine has improved more than Ferrari since the start of the year.

Aston Martin was one of the worst cars. Bottom 2. Now they are competitive for points. Without question they have closed the gap to Ferrari.

Red Bull are now consistently the stronger team in race pace, and their reliability is much better. It's at the point we likely have to concede they have the better car in the races, even though Ferrari (at least with Leclerc) still seems to be faster in outright pace.

Ferrari were comfortably the best package to start the season. Now they are not and it seems like 2020 and 2021 when the drivers and team are overpushing and making mistakes.

There is no question Ferrari are still competitive and capable of winning. They are far from out of the championships. I think we can all be encouraged by that, not deflated. But as far as the development battle, there is enough evidence to support other teams are doing a better job up to this point.
    if you think Merc closed the gap, you need to stop listening to Sky F1.

[QUOTE=Brembo;1063679]
    Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Right now they have a great driver (RUS) who overdrives the car and good for them, IMHO.

Isn't that trolling? Acknowledging a Merc driver as great on our Ferrari forum?
    Try to think. You can do it. But try to stay of the booze first. OK?
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    I'm not sure I'd agree that Ferrari has the best straight line speed. In Baku, Verstappen hit 341 kph on his best Q3 lap, and Leclerc did 330 kph. Verstappen gained 4 tenths on the long straight alone. That's a huge advantage.

Tyre handling, i assume you mean wear? Again, not sure Ferrari is the best, as some races they really struggle. Red Bull definitely struggled to begin the season, but seem to have a handle on it now.

Most driveable engine, and most powerful. I think that's true. The Ferrari engine always shows very good in acceleration and I think the car in general is the most driveable with the widest operating window. Mercedes having probably the narrowest.

The car is very very good. My question is what is the potential to be how much faster/better. This I have some worries about.
    I said ALONG with RBR. Which translates that even if we're slightly slower to RBR, we're still up there along with them. We saw that at Baky where Max could not catch us.
    Tyre wear, yes, and at Baku, again, we were just fine but then again, we need more data. Yes we struggled at some races and were fine at others.
    As for the potential of the car, I've already explained my take on this, we don't need to be so downbeat at this, since honestly we have no information at this and we can only know by the end of the season.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    if you think Merc closed the gap, you need to stop listening to Sky F1.
    Mercedes is clearly a mid field competitor as it stands, nowhere near Ferrari and RBR.
    The ONLY thing having going for them is reliability and RUS. Nothing else.

Ferrari has 2 top great drivers already to go and win. With 2 reliable cars to drive Ferrari is for sure right up there for the WCC and even WDC ! There's still enough races to do it ! Binotto has to be convinced!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Ferrari has 2 top great drivers already to go and win. With 2 reliable cars to drive Ferrari is for sure right up there for the WCC and even WDC ! There's still enough races to do it ! Binotto has to be convinced!!
    Dilemma: regarding the ignore button, I don’t know if you make me more angry than you make me laugh

Mercedes is clearly a mid field competitor as it stands, nowhere near Ferrari and RBR.
    thanks for your sensible and intelligent posts this week, good to see you around!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
    Dilemma: regarding the ignore button, I don’t know if you make me more angry than you make me laugh
    Les courses sont super! Carlos et Charles besoin de la voiture . F-1 is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    thanks for your sensible and intelligent posts this week, good to see you around!
    My pleasure my friend.

Is adding Sir Lewis to the list with Rus of what they have going for them Trolling ? !