Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Spanish GP - Qualifying Thread

Ted Kravitz: "It will have to be an absolute concrete case that McLaren can put to the stewards to say 'look, this is the proof that we were using more fuel than intended. But if they can't produce that concrete evidence then Lewis Hamilton could very easily be kicked out of qualifying altogether and have to start at the back of the grid or the pitlane."
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

Quote Originally Posted by FER View Post
    Pretty sure, Mclaren know the rules very good and they won't be punished because there is no clear rule telling cars have to be driven back to the pits in any case.
    Oh yes there is:
    "When you go out in qualifying, you need enough fuel to do the out-lap, the timed-lap, an in-lap, and then enough fuel to make it back to the pits," Ted Kravitz explained on Sky Sports News. "The teams need to give one litre of fuel to the FIA as a fuel sample - and that's one litre that they can't touch to power the car. So that left just 0.3 litres of fuel - which is not enough to take Lewis Hamilton back to the pits because he would have needed about 1.5 litres of fuel to make it back - so it looks like the McLaren was under-fuelled.
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

Quote Originally Posted by FER View Post
    Pretty sure, Mclaren know the rules very good and they won't be punished because there is no clear rule telling cars have to be driven back to the pits in any case.

...if a sample of fuel is required after a practice session the car concerned must have first been driven back to the pits under its own power.

Pretty clear to me.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Macca fans are speculating they wont get a penalty because 'Kristensen is the driver steward and he is a McLaren fan'. In other words- just get a McLaren fan into the stewards and you can do whatever you want.

Two things to debate : 1) Hamilton stopped on course during the cool down lap. 2) Hamilton's car had 1.3 Liters of fuel onboard when checked by the FIA which, in theory, would have been ok to pass inspection with about .1 Liters left in the tank after completing the cool down lap. Whitmarsh said McLaren had "problem in the pits" which is the reason for their action on the track.

Question comes up, Should Hamilton / McLaren be penalized for breaking the "No Stop On Course During The Cool Down Lap" rule and if so does Hamilton lose places for it??? Or : Do they merely Fine McLaren for mis-informing / mis-instructing their driver to stop on course when they really had enough fuel on board???

My feeling is, if the proper amount of fuel was in the tank then his qualifying lap was not unfair and no unfair advantage was used to win pole position. I think the team will be fined as a result of their action. I do think the fine should be of some size to keep teams from doing this again. $50,000.00 (US) sounds like a nice sum.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FrankAlfa View Post
    Two things to debate : 1) Hamilton stopped on course during the cool down lap. 2) Hamilton's car had 1.3 Liters of fuel onboard when checked by the FIA which, in theory, would have been ok to pass inspection with about .1 Liters left in the tank after completing the cool down lap. Whitmarsh said McLaren had "problem in the pits" which is the reason for their action on the track.

Question comes up, Should Hamilton / McLaren be penalized for breaking the "No Stop On Course During The Cool Down Lap" rule and if so does Hamilton lose places for it??? Or : Do they merely Fine McLaren for mis-informing / mis-instructing their driver to stop on course when they really had enough fuel on board???

My feeling is, if the proper amount of fuel was in the tank then his qualifying lap was not unfair and no unfair advantage was used to win pole position. I think the team will be fined as a result of their action. I do think the fine should be of some size to keep teams from doing this again. $50,000.00 (US) sounds like a nice sum.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!
    Would Hamilton made it to the pits with 1 liter left in the tank? No. I don't se any science in it.

in a way i want Mccheaters and Lewser to get a penalty just to teach those as*holes snobs a lesson; this is the second time now, first being CANADA 2010
    but another part of me doesn't want him to get one because NOT only will we start from the DIRTY side of the track, but the lotuses behind us will be on the clean side..

we'll see what happens
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

I read, if takes .2 Liters of fuel to complete one lap. Can anyone confirm the quantity of fuel used for one (1) lap??? If 1.5 liters of fuel are required par lap, then I am wrong and McLaren will be punished for unfair advantage of fueling the car light to win the pole position!

Someone lend a bit od clarity to the fuel usage for one lap at this track???

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Brilliant quali from Fernando, another disaster for Felipe, blamed on traffic, so his race now compromised even further. Surely they know when to send him out to try and avoid traffic, likewise during past races I'm not surprised Felipe loses motivation when any hope of scoring points is hopeless once he's put in these impossible situations. Just hope he can recover if his strategy is right, otherwise I really do think he's on borrowed time. I really feel for him, and hope he proves everyone wrong with a decent finish. And of course a nice win for Fernando, although that'll be hard.

I read, if takes .2 Liters of fuel to complete one lap. Can anyone confirm the quantity of fuel used for one (1) lap??? If 1.5 liters of fuel are required par lap, then I am wrong and McLaren will be punished for unfair advantage of fueling the car light to win the pole position!

Someone lend a bit od clarity to the fuel usage for one lap at this track???

Ciao.

Track characteristics

Circuit de Catalunya; 4.65 kilometres. Race distance: 66 laps = 307 kilometres, 16 corners in total, considered the best test of an F1 car’s aerodynamic efficiency due to combination of medium and high speed corners.

Aerodynamic setup – High downforce. Top speed 317km/h (with Drag Reduction System active on rear wing) – 305km/h without.

Full throttle – 60% of the lap. Total fuel needed for race distance: 154kg (quite high). Fuel consumption: 2.34 kg per lap.Time spent braking: 12% of the lap (quite low). 8 braking zones. Brake wear: Medium/low.

Loss time for a Pit stop = 19 seconds
    Total time needed for pit stop: 24 seconds

2.34kg = Approx. 3.29 LitresForza Ferrari!!!!
    Last edited by Dino; 12th May 2012 at 17:33.

I was quoting the rules. Please someone quote where a rule says "in the car have to stay minimum 1 L. fuel AFTER the imperative drive back to the pit".

Well, that is a flat out / race lap. What is the fuel consumed on a low speed cool down lap? 1.5 Liters or .2 Liters? Thast is the question.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

We are the quickest in the high speed corners!

Have a look at this:

Q1
    Driver Exit of T3 Apex of T9
    Di Resta (hard) 265kph 212kph
    Alonso (hard) 271kph 225kph
    Rosberg (hard) ? 206kph
    Vettel (soft) 270kph 220kph
    Vettel (soft) 272kph ?
    Hamilton (soft) ? 222kph
    Senna (soft) 269kph 221kph

Q2
    Kobayashi (soft) 268kph 233kph
    Vergne (soft) 273kph 215kph
    Alonso (soft) 276kph *
    Hulkenburg (soft) * 224kph
    *Issue with speedometer

Q3
    Hamilton (soft) 271kph 227kph
    Rosberg (soft) 271kph 215kph
    Raikkonen (soft) 273kph 225kph
    Hamilton (soft) ? 226kph
    We are the quickest in the high speed corners. We still need to improve the balance however.

Andrew Benson ‏ @andrewbensonf1
    Am hearing @LewisHamilton has lost pole - not completely certain yet and no word on penalty #BBCF1

Do you have a source where is said that Lewis had only 1.3l fuel in the tank, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Sianellen View Post
    Andrew Benson ‏ @andrewbensonf1
    Am hearing @LewisHamilton has lost pole - not completely certain yet and no word on penalty #BBCF1
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Jake Humphrey ‏ @mrjakehumphrey
    I'm hearing Williams are on pole and Lewis starts at the back...nothing official yet...

Jake Humphrey ‏ @mrjakehumphrey
    I'm hearing Williams are on pole and Lewis starts at the back...nothing official yet...

Jon Noble ‏ @NobleF1
    Lewis put to back of grid, FIA announced

Edd Straw ‏ @eddstrawF1
    Hamilton has been excluded from qualifying and will start at the back.

Well, that is a flat out / race lap. What is the fuel consumed on a low speed cool down lap? 1.5 Liters or .2 Liters? Thast is the question.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!
    If the Mclaren could go back to the pits on half of the 3.29 litres of a racing lap it would still not have 1 litre for scrutineer's sample!!!

From autosport

Lewis Hamilton has lost pole position for the Spanish Grand Prix after stewards deemed he did not have enough fuel onboard.

The Briton stopped on track right after completing the lap that secured him pole position.

Drivers are required to return to the pits and have enough fuel onboard for the FIA to take a sample.

The FIA said the fuel inside the McLaren was insufficient and therefore have sent Hamilton to the back of the grid for tomorrow's race.

The decision means Williams driver Pastor Maldonado will start from pole position

and my day just got better
    not gonna change my profile picture

SOURCE!!! Come on guys. Where are you reading it FER12?

That is the answer! Thank you! I stand corrected! The 1.3 Liters in the tank would NOT have been enough fuel to get back to the pits and to be able to provide the 1 Liter required by the FIA for sampling! Lewis Hamilton qualified on pole by using the unfair advantage of an under weight race car with less than the required fuel on board! Excellent! He should be handed a 5 place position demotion.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!

Lewis lost the pole , well we all see that coming !! Mcheaters

so 149 poles for Mclaren then

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    SOURCE!!! Come on guys. Where are you reading it FER12?
    Go to F1racing.net,

or read the statement above lol...
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...