Thread: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

I saw the Red Bull doing exactly the same in Australia GP. is very visible in any straight when they use the nose camera.

These commentators are quite biased in favour of british teams/Mercedes.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    if anyone has the time, can you translate this article please?

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/fe...ahrain-892156/

TIA!
    Ferrari: an innovative fund is led in Bahrain?

The team of the Horse at the weekend should introduce SF70-H on a new fund to take the offensive in the Mercedes W08. Mattia Binotto is a supporter of the continued development on the Red to keep abreast of the silver arrows.

The Ferrari does not expect the debut European season to bring new developments on SF70H. Mattia Binotto, technical manager of the Horse, is a firm believer that the car should be constantly evolving, because the more quickly introduce new pieces guarantees to remain competitive in comparison with the Mercedes W08 yesterday won the Chinese Grand Prix with Lewis Hamilton and that, at least at the moment, remains the reference point.

In Bahrain weekend it is expected a new fund on SF70H: direct by Enrico Cardile aerodynamic who David Sanchez in the cutting edge, seem to have developed an innovative concept also to the Red cross.

On what they're working engineers in Maranello it is still top secret, but it is clear to everyone that there is more to close the gap to Mercedes in the lap, where the surplus power of the power unit thanks to the "magic button" is felt .

It is established that it is not only oil burned in gasoline (a borderline methodology that Ferrari has taken on the 062), but something that goes far beyond a simple mapping more thrust. Ferrari goes to the heat of Bahrain in the belief of being able to better handle of the silver arrows of the Pirelli tires when the temperature increases.

On Red, however, the changes are continuous: Giorgio Piola has not escaped in Shanghai that in the Coca Cola area of ​​SF70H there was a noticeable swelling of 3 or 4 mm on the bottom of a significantly larger surface than it was channeling for cooling the transmission that was seen during winter testing in Barcelona, ​​below.

source: https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/fe...ahrain-892156/ (TRANSLATED)

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post

The team of the Horse at the weekend should introduce SF70-H on a new fund to take the offensive in the Mercedes W08. Mattia Binotto is a supporter of the continued development on the Red to keep abreast of the silver arrows.

The Ferrari does not expect the debut European season to bring new developments on SF70H. Mattia Binotto, technical manager of the Horse, is a firm believer that the car should be constantly evolving, because the more quickly introduce new pieces guarantees to remain competitive in comparison with the Mercedes W08 yesterday won the Chinese Grand Prix with Lewis Hamilton and that, at least at the moment, remains the reference point.

In Bahrain weekend it is expected a new fund on SF70H: direct by Enrico Cardile aerodynamic who David Sanchez in the cutting edge, seem to have developed an innovative concept also to the Red cross.

On what they're working engineers in Maranello it is still top secret, but it is clear to everyone that there is more to close the gap to Mercedes in the lap, where the surplus power of the power unit thanks to the "magic button" is felt .

It is established that it is not only oil burned in gasoline (a borderline methodology that Ferrari has taken on the 062), but something that goes far beyond a simple mapping more thrust. Ferrari goes to the heat of Bahrain in the belief of being able to better handle of the silver arrows of the Pirelli tires when the temperature increases.

On Red, however, the changes are continuous: Giorgio Piola has not escaped in Shanghai that in the Coca Cola area of ​​SF70H there was a noticeable swelling of 3 or 4 mm on the bottom of a significantly larger surface than it was channeling for cooling the transmission that was seen during winter testing in Barcelona, ​​below.

Now just these words to become deeds and working one!

I just really want to make the point that Ferrari was mocked last year for appointing Binotto technical director. Apart from the fact this was hugely disrespecfful - the jokes on them! According to Lauda (who wouldn't necessarily know anything) he may be the reason for our success so far this season... while I prefer to think this is because of the new, horizontal approach, it certainly bodes well in general for our development and it's pace.

Rumours of an innovative new floor coming in Bahrain... this just keeps getting more and more exciting! The thing I'm most happy with is that our solutions appear unique. No one has our bargeboards, our sidepods, our floor. These are truly innovative ideas coming from the team, they are not simply recycling ideas from others. It's a very encouraging sign of confidence coming from within the team - to pursue and explore their ideas - and it's working!

thanks mate!

that floor was present in China, but it wasn't used in the race?

Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    thanks mate!

that floor was present in China, but it wasn't used in the race?
    It was used in the race. I think the article refers to a different solution to the one sported in China.

Hope for a good weekend. Should lead both the titles ASAP.

>.< goodluck Ferrari hope it gives us the boost to get closer to Mercs

Quote Originally Posted by JPBD View Post
    It was used in the race. I think the article refers to a different solution to the one sported in China.
    oh! that's good news then if they have a much better solution ready that soon..

Hello

Can anyone copy and paste the below article

http://www.autosport.com/premium/fea...o-its-strength

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizf1 View Post
    Hello

Can anyone copy and paste the below article

http://www.autosport.com/premium/fea...o-its-strength

Thanks
    Is a Ferrari weakness the key to its strength? by Gary Anderson

.... Both Raikkonen and Valtteri Bottas are struggling to keep up with their team-mates. You could say Bottas needs a little bit more time since his move to Mercedes, but Raikkonen should be up there with Vettel scoring major points and he really isn't.

When he doesn't have the car balance his driving style requires, he just doesn't seem able to adapt. And this is a long-standing problem for him. All of the great drivers were or are able to adapt to the car they have under them, and I'm afraid if he's to be a threat for the championship again he needs to be able to do that.

Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne has suggested the team needs to hold talks with Raikkonen to improve his performance. I'm afraid that would be a waste of time.

Raikkonen has many years' experience, so it's not as if you are trying to teach something to a new kid on the block. He has always had his own way of doing things and, as we have heard many times over the radio, his own way of communicating. Ferrari went through exactly the same problem before when it paid him off at the end of 2009 and he disappeared to go rallying, so the problems were known. But how do you fix it? I'm glad it's not my problem to solve.

Ferrari also needs to look at itself. After the early pitstops, it allowed Raikkonen to hold Vettel up for far too long - 12 laps. So when he finally got up to second place, Hamilton was just too far up the road. At the moment, Vettel is Ferrari's main man, so it needs to give him every chance. I'm sure he will have made that point loud and clear in the post-race debrief.

source: http://www.autosport.com/premium/fea...o-its-strength

Is a Ferrari weakness the key to its strength? by Gary Anderson

.... Both Raikkonen and Valtteri Bottas are struggling to keep up with their team-mates. You could say Bottas needs a little bit more time since his move to Mercedes, but Raikkonen should be up there with Vettel scoring major points and he really isn't.

When he doesn't have the car balance his driving style requires, he just doesn't seem able to adapt. And this is a long-standing problem for him. All of the great drivers were or are able to adapt to the car they have under them, and I'm afraid if he's to be a threat for the championship again he needs to be able to do that.

Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne has suggested the team needs to hold talks with Raikkonen to improve his performance. I'm afraid that would be a waste of time.

Raikkonen has many years' experience, so it's not as if you are trying to teach something to a new kid on the block. He has always had his own way of doing things and, as we have heard many times over the radio, his own way of communicating. Ferrari went through exactly the same problem before when it paid him off at the end of 2009 and he disappeared to go rallying, so the problems were known. But how do you fix it? I'm glad it's not my problem to solve.

Ferrari also needs to look at itself. After the early pitstops, it allowed Raikkonen to hold Vettel up for far too long - 12 laps. So when he finally got up to second place, Hamilton was just too far up the road. At the moment, Vettel is Ferrari's main man, so it needs to give him every chance. I'm sure he will have made that point loud and clear in the post-race debrief.

source: http://www.autosport.com/premium/fea...o-its-strength

I don't think thats a fair assesement as Kimi was held up by the RedBull. Just like Hamilton was held up by RebBull in Melbourne and could not get around to close the gap....Toto slamming his fist on the table 2x when Vettel exited the pits in front of the RB and LH.

I don't think thats a fair assesement as Kimi was held up by the RedBull. Just like Hamilton was held up by RebBull in Melbourne and could not get around to close the gap....Toto slamming his fist on the table 2x when Vettel exited the pits in front of the RB and LH.
    Kimi held up Seb without a doubt so it seems pretty fair, considering they were on different strategy then Kimi should have been told to move over.
    Forza Ferrari

Does Ferrari have a weakness in cold weather or rain? is there a certain component that needs to be upgraded to negate this weakness? I was reading that higher tempertures give Ferrari a better chance to give Mercedes atleast some challenge, but then if the tempertures lower do we suddenly lose some speed to the Mercs and RB? RB was really great in the rain at China (esp Max)

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    Does Ferrari have a weakness in cold weather or rain? is there a certain component that needs to be upgraded to negate this weakness? I was reading that higher tempertures give Ferrari a better chance to give Mercedes atleast some challenge, but then if the tempertures lower do we suddenly lose some speed to the Mercs and RB? RB was really great in the rain at China (esp Max)
    Cars or engines are setup, prior to race day, given ambient temp, humity, barometric pressure, etc. That said, its also much to do with tyre temp in getting them up to temp when its cool weather...too hot outside means the track temp gets hot and tyres degrade faster. Also the track is important whether its been resurfaced or not or if its a new track.

With regards to Max, if you think China was "really great" you should look him up on youtube: Sao Paulo 2016, as that was somewhat of a downpour. Both this race and that one, he does make the field look rather "dull" as he picks them off one-by-one. Given his age and the way he drives with special emphasis in the rain, the media in F1 have called him "rain man max."

Cars or engines are setup, prior to race day, given ambient temp, humity, barometric pressure, etc. That said, its also much to do with tyre temp in getting them up to temp when its cool weather...too hot outside means the track temp gets hot and tyres degrade faster. Also the track is important whether its been resurfaced or not or if its a new track.

With regards to Max, if you think China was "really great" you should look him up on youtube: Sao Paulo 2016, as that was somewhat of a downpour. Both this race and that one, he does make the field look rather "dull" as he picks them off one-by-one. Given his age and the way he drives with special emphasis in the rain, the media in F1 have called him "rain man max."
    thank you for your explanation! haha i remember that race , he ended up giving rosberg a lil scare.

But if i am understanding atleast a little about the temperature effect, is it so that Mercedes has a better setup suited for a cooler tracks? with the amount of Euro races, night races, wouldnt it be beneficial if Ferrari can somewhat equate their setup so that they have no drawbacks incase the weather is rather cool on the day?
    would they ever need such a system that heats the tyres to get them to act like its on a hot track?

sorry ^_^ while i love watching the GP i dont understand a lot of the technical/mechanical work

thank you for your explanation! haha i remember that race , he ended up giving rosberg a lil scare.

But if i am understanding atleast a little about the temperature effect, is it so that Mercedes has a better setup suited for a cooler tracks? with the amount of Euro races, night races, wouldnt it be beneficial if Ferrari can somewhat equate their setup so that they have no drawbacks incase the weather is rather cool on the day?
    would they ever need such a system that heats the tyres to get them to act like its on a hot track?

sorry ^_^ while i love watching the GP i dont understand a lot of the technical/mechanical work

No weakness in this year's car with regards to engine and aero as we seem to have a very competitive car with the Mercs; might be faster than the Mercs.

Heating the tyres? tyre warmers - they put them on while in the garage or on the grid. However, tyres come up to extreme temp in the corners. Look up: F1 thermal imaging tire stress.

We have for a long time had trouble getting the tyres up to temp in cooler conditions, but China showed we are pretty much getting there
    Forza Ferrari

You have to watch the onboard from ALO Hungary 2006, that's Rainmaster. China wasn't really wet.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk
    Go Ferrari, beat them all!

No weakness in this year's car with regards to engine and aero as we seem to have a very competitive car with the Mercs; might be faster than the Mercs.

Heating the tyres? tyre warmers - they put them on while in the garage or on the grid. However, tyres come up to extreme temp in the corners. Look up: F1 thermal imaging tire stress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    We have for a long time had trouble getting the tyres up to temp in cooler conditions, but China showed we are pretty much getting there

Thanks! i hope we get more heated tracks , gobal warming is on Ferrari's side.

Just as was the case in Australia, the Chinese Grand Prix showed the battle between Mercedes and Ferrari is a very close one. A small strategy mistake, or something not quite going your way such as the timing of the safety car, can and has dramatically affected the outcome.

It's great to see two teams just one point apart in the constructors' championship and two drivers equal in the drivers' standings. It's still early days, but this could be the way it goes on. I just wish there were a few more in the mix, but I don't think we're going to see that any time soon so let's enjoy what we have.

China confirmed that Mercedes does seem to have that little edge in qualifying. Sebastian Vettel's surprised reaction when he was told over the radio how much quicker Lewis Hamilton was confirmed that. It could be that Mercedes has a little bit extra from its power unit for that one flying lap, or it could be that the Ferrari has that little bit too much understeer on new tyres. It's probably a combination of both.

The reason I mentioned the Ferrari understeer is that Kimi Raikkonen was complaining about that being a problem when he really had to get that last bit from the car in qualifying. So if it is there, Vettel might just have a driving style that covers it.

But when it's inherent in the car, your driving style doesn't eliminate the problem, it just means you don't notice it quite so much even though you can still suffer the lap time deficit.

This could also be the reason Ferrari is that little bit easier on tyres over long runs than the Mercedes. A little understeer protects the rear tyres, so if I was in that situation I would be hanging on in there with that problem until I got to May's Spanish Grand Prix, where I am sure most teams will be bringing a decent upgrade.

These first few races are all about maximising the points haul. As we saw in China, the last thing you want to be doing is trying to get your head round new developments when you have most of Friday practice cancelled.

Both Raikkonen and Valtteri Bottas are struggling to keep up with their team-mates. You could say Bottas needs a little bit more time since his move to Mercedes, but Raikkonen should be up there with Vettel scoring major points and he really isn't.

As for Hamilton, it's clear he is relishing battling against a driver in a different team. When it's that way, rather than fighting your team-mate as Hamilton has had to for the last three years, politics takes a back seat. Doubtless Vettel feels the same, and this bodes well for a great season. What Hamilton said after the race made that very clear.

"I honestly think it will stay the way it is," he said of the good relationship that seems to exist with Vettel. "Who knows, maybe we'll have times where we are racing hard together and, of course, there could be that scenario where one of us thinks something is unfair, or someone has been too aggressive, whatever it may be.

"But we're grown men, we've come a long way, we've experienced a lot. The respect for one another is the highest that I have felt from another driver, especially of his calibre. Amazing sportsmanship, when you win you enjoy it, and you also acknowledge the person next door, and even when you lose it's the same thing.

"We're both doing that, and that's a great place to be. Naturally he wants to kill me out there and beat me, and vice versa, but then outside the car there's the admiration for the other's achievements and the way that they drive.

"He's performing at his best, he is rapid out there, so when I'm able to get ahead, it only compliments you, and vice versa."

Hamilton is clearly enjoying life more than during his fights with Nico Rosberg. The fact he's taking every chance to talk up the respect for Vettel says a lot about how he saw the past three years of intra-team fighting.

Behind the top two, Red Bull still needs that bit more lap time before it can really be in the mix at the front. But what the Chinese GP again showed is that Max Verstappen is taking no prisoners on his way to achieving his goals.

He made mincemeat of many of his rivals, including team-mate Daniel Ricciardo, on his way from 16th on the grid to finishing third. That drive included climbing to seventh on the first lap, and it gives another tick to the idea of reverse grids being taken seriously as an idea.

Verstappen will probably class this as one of his most enjoyable drives. Sure, it would be different if he was starting with all the fast cars and drivers together at the back with the slower ones at the front, but as I have said many times you learn something every weekend. That is true of the promoters as much as it is of the teams and drivers.

Behind these three teams, it's a bit of a lottery based on who gets it right on the day. The big three are well clear and, whether we like it or not, there is a clear 'B' championship. So now is the time for Toro Rosso, Force India, Williams, Haas and Renault to focus on who their competition really is.

One team missing from that group is McLaren, but China showed us that Fernando Alonso has lost none of his hunger. If McLaren-Honda can just give him a package that anywhere near matches that talent, then it could leapfrog that midfield. But I just don't see that happening soon.

Alonso is clearly doing what he can to make sure he doesn't get forgotten as the season goes on, especially given he is potentially on the market for 2018.

While we saw a little more of the shape of things in China, I'm hoping that in Bahrain this weekend the fog will lift further and we will get a more clear picture. But it's definitely a two-team championship, and in reality a two-driver championship.

Perhaps that's a good thing, because it will ensure new owner Liberty Media won't be misled by a rogue very competitive season and dilute its efforts to lift F1 to the overall level of competition that we all want.

But to have two drivers from different teams fighting for the title is a step up from the past few years, so it still means we've got a good chance of this close world championship fight being the story for the whole season.

In Australia and China, strategic mishaps have decided the race between Hamilton and Vettel. In Bahrain, perhaps we'll see how they stack up on pace when it matters. Because from what we've seen so far, it's close. On Sundays, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
    Just as was the case in Australia, the Chinese Grand Prix showed the battle between Mercedes and Ferrari is a very close one. A small strategy mistake, or something not quite going your way such as the timing of the safety car, can and has dramatically affected the outcome.

It's great to see two teams just one point apart in the constructors' championship and two drivers equal in the drivers' standings. It's still early days, but this could be the way it goes on. I just wish there were a few more in the mix, but I don't think we're going to see that any time soon so let's enjoy what we have.

China confirmed that Mercedes does seem to have that little edge in qualifying. Sebastian Vettel's surprised reaction when he was told over the radio how much quicker Lewis Hamilton was confirmed that. It could be that Mercedes has a little bit extra from its power unit for that one flying lap, or it could be that the Ferrari has that little bit too much understeer on new tyres. It's probably a combination of both.

The reason I mentioned the Ferrari understeer is that Kimi Raikkonen was complaining about that being a problem when he really had to get that last bit from the car in qualifying. So if it is there, Vettel might just have a driving style that covers it.

But when it's inherent in the car, your driving style doesn't eliminate the problem, it just means you don't notice it quite so much even though you can still suffer the lap time deficit.

This could also be the reason Ferrari is that little bit easier on tyres over long runs than the Mercedes. A little understeer protects the rear tyres, so if I was in that situation I would be hanging on in there with that problem until I got to May's Spanish Grand Prix, where I am sure most teams will be bringing a decent upgrade.

These first few races are all about maximising the points haul. As we saw in China, the last thing you want to be doing is trying to get your head round new developments when you have most of Friday practice cancelled.

Both Raikkonen and Valtteri Bottas are struggling to keep up with their team-mates. You could say Bottas needs a little bit more time since his move to Mercedes, but Raikkonen should be up there with Vettel scoring major points and he really isn't.

As for Hamilton, it's clear he is relishing battling against a driver in a different team. When it's that way, rather than fighting your team-mate as Hamilton has had to for the last three years, politics takes a back seat. Doubtless Vettel feels the same, and this bodes well for a great season. What Hamilton said after the race made that very clear.

"I honestly think it will stay the way it is," he said of the good relationship that seems to exist with Vettel. "Who knows, maybe we'll have times where we are racing hard together and, of course, there could be that scenario where one of us thinks something is unfair, or someone has been too aggressive, whatever it may be.

"But we're grown men, we've come a long way, we've experienced a lot. The respect for one another is the highest that I have felt from another driver, especially of his calibre. Amazing sportsmanship, when you win you enjoy it, and you also acknowledge the person next door, and even when you lose it's the same thing.

"We're both doing that, and that's a great place to be. Naturally he wants to kill me out there and beat me, and vice versa, but then outside the car there's the admiration for the other's achievements and the way that they drive.

"He's performing at his best, he is rapid out there, so when I'm able to get ahead, it only compliments you, and vice versa."

Hamilton is clearly enjoying life more than during his fights with Nico Rosberg. The fact he's taking every chance to talk up the respect for Vettel says a lot about how he saw the past three years of intra-team fighting.

Behind the top two, Red Bull still needs that bit more lap time before it can really be in the mix at the front. But what the Chinese GP again showed is that Max Verstappen is taking no prisoners on his way to achieving his goals.

He made mincemeat of many of his rivals, including team-mate Daniel Ricciardo, on his way from 16th on the grid to finishing third. That drive included climbing to seventh on the first lap, and it gives another tick to the idea of reverse grids being taken seriously as an idea.

Verstappen will probably class this as one of his most enjoyable drives. Sure, it would be different if he was starting with all the fast cars and drivers together at the back with the slower ones at the front, but as I have said many times you learn something every weekend. That is true of the promoters as much as it is of the teams and drivers.

Behind these three teams, it's a bit of a lottery based on who gets it right on the day. The big three are well clear and, whether we like it or not, there is a clear 'B' championship. So now is the time for Toro Rosso, Force India, Williams, Haas and Renault to focus on who their competition really is.

One team missing from that group is McLaren, but China showed us that Fernando Alonso has lost none of his hunger. If McLaren-Honda can just give him a package that anywhere near matches that talent, then it could leapfrog that midfield. But I just don't see that happening soon.

Alonso is clearly doing what he can to make sure he doesn't get forgotten as the season goes on, especially given he is potentially on the market for 2018.

While we saw a little more of the shape of things in China, I'm hoping that in Bahrain this weekend the fog will lift further and we will get a more clear picture. But it's definitely a two-team championship, and in reality a two-driver championship.

Perhaps that's a good thing, because it will ensure new owner Liberty Media won't be misled by a rogue very competitive season and dilute its efforts to lift F1 to the overall level of competition that we all want.

But to have two drivers from different teams fighting for the title is a step up from the past few years, so it still means we've got a good chance of this close world championship fight being the story for the whole season.

In Australia and China, strategic mishaps have decided the race between Hamilton and Vettel. In Bahrain, perhaps we'll see how they stack up on pace when it matters. Because from what we've seen so far, it's close. On Sundays, at least.

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-312279.html

RB to bring new car in Spanish GP Barcelona. Hope it's also a failure.

All teams will bring big updates for Spain. I am sure Ferrari will also...

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-312279.html

RB to bring new car in Spanish GP Barcelona. Hope it's also a failure.
    They better not copy Ferrari. I thought they all say the regulation change will help Red Bull and that Adrian was the best designer. so they got is wrong i guess
    Last edited by vetalo; 12th April 2017 at 11:14.

Quote Originally Posted by vetalo View Post
    They better not copy Ferrari. I thought they all say the regulation change will help Red Bull and that Adrian was the best designer. so they got is wrong i guess
    for first part of the races, yes they failed. let's c how does 2nd part goes. It race of development for all teams.

If RB can find performance, so should mercs & Ferrari too will find performance gain. Because RB need 1.5ths to catch merc & Ferrari.

I'll make a comment about you Lauda, your a piece of crap. Happy when you win, a sook when you loose. Enough said.