Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari signs new long-term Marlboro deal

Ferrari signs new long-term Marlboro deal

Ferrari will remain with tobacco sponsor Philip Morris and its Marlboro brand for the near future, after announcing it has renewed its long-term deal.

Although no Marlboro logos have appeared on the car since cigarette advertising was supposedly banned from F1 in 2007, Ferrari has maintained the use of the red and while colours in its livery and corporate branding.

Back in 2010, however, Ferrari had to remove a barcode design from its car after there were suggestions it was subliminal advertising for Marlboro.

The partnership between Philip Morris and Ferrari began more than 40 years ago, and since 1997 it has been title sponsor. A statement issued on Monday said the new deal was multi-year.

Philip Morris' previous contract had been due to run out at the end of this year, but the association between the two companies was always likely to continue thanks to the arrival of former Philip Morris marketing man Maurizio Arrivabene as Ferrari team principal.
    It does not say for how long but I honestly thought PM would not renew their contract with the Scuderia. This is a positive sign from the sponsor meaning

money still being pumped in.

I honestly miss the Marlboro livery, I don't know if it's because it reminds me of happier, more successful times

Quote Originally Posted by 458 Italia View Post
    I honestly miss the Marlboro livery, I don't know if it's because it reminds me of happier, more successful times
    Lol it does indeed, ahhh those days

Quote Originally Posted by 458 Italia View Post
    happy times indeed. Tipo 053 was screeching around with Schumy lead the pack.

I really appreciate their loyalty in sponsoring our team and while I know it's just business for them they could easily spend and/or spread their money elsewhere, whether to other teams or sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Liscia View Post
    I really appreciate their loyalty in sponsoring our team and while I know it's just business for them they could easily spend and/or spread their money elsewhere, whether to other teams or sports.
    True dat. Thank Maurizio Arrivabene, partly, who came from their(PM) marketing dept. AND has a say in this.

Really good news, is money that we need

Go Ferrari go!
    Sent using Tapatalk
    Go Ferrari, beat them all!

I've often wondered about this... do people still associate Ferrari and Marlboro... I mean if you took someone that knew nothing about F1 and asked them who they thought Ferrari's major sponsor was by simply looking at the car... would they answer Marlboro?
    Last edited by Tony; 7th September 2017 at 14:11.
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I've often wondered about this... do people still associate Ferrari and Marlboro... I mean if you took someone that new nothing about F1 and asked them who they thought Ferrari's major sponsor was by simply looking at the car... would they answer Marlboro?
    F1 is a huge brand.
    Ferrari is the biggest brand in F1
    Even if someone is new to the sport, they will one way or the other get the association thru history.

And by statistics alone, a new fan is bound to be a Ferrari fan.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

I've often wondered about this... do people still associate Ferrari and Marlboro... I mean if you took someone that new nothing about F1 and asked them who they thought Ferrari's major sponsor was by simply looking at the car... would they answer Marlboro?
    I had forgotten about Marlboro until this post, so I agree it seems a rather pointless deal for Marlboro.
    Forza Ferrari

There were hundreds of articles written about the deal all over the world in every language, and broadcast on tv and radio during the GP weekend. I reckon Marlboro probably did pretty well out of it given advertising rules. A refresh news article once every few years on contract renewal is pretty clever.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

No they would not. Most current Ferrari owners don't know what the letters on the emblem stand for....SF.....let alone the color yellow on the shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    I had forgotten about Marlboro until this post, so I agree it seems a rather pointless deal for Marlboro.
    Pointless deal??? While they cannot advertise their name brand, the SF70-H is an advertising billboard and I am more than sure that any sponsor that slaps their name on

the car has to pay for Malboro's advertising space....Look at how many sponsors are on that car...its quite alot. It's global advertising and I am sure they resigned with Ferrari

due to loyalty and the money they get.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    No they would not. Most current Ferrari owners don't know what the letters on the emblem stand for....SF.....let alone the color yellow on the shield.

Pointless deal??? While they cannot advertise their name brand, the SF70-H is an advertising billboard and I am more than sure that any sponsor that slaps their name on

the car has to pay for Malboro's advertising space....Look at how many sponsors are on that car...its quite alot. It's global advertising and I am sure they resigned with Ferrari

due to loyalty and the money they get.

So you agree that new fans would not know about Marlboro, then go on to say our car is a Marlboro billboard? does not make sense.....You mean you think Marlboro own all the ads on our car? No I don't think so, others pay Ferrari to advertise.
    Forza Ferrari

So you agree that new fans would not know about Marlboro, then go on to say our car is a Marlboro billboard? does not make sense.....You mean you think Marlboro own all the ads on our car? No I don't think so, others pay Ferrari to advertise.
    Malboro colors are red and white......so anywhere on the car, depending on size of logo, Marlboro gets a percentage. What that percentage is between Ferrari and Malboro.

Malboro colors are red and white......so anywhere on the car, depending on size of logo, Marlboro gets a percentage. What that percentage is between Ferrari and Malboro.
    No I don't believe Marlboro get a slice of any other ads. Ferrari is red not cause of Marlboro....Santander pay Ferrari for sponsorship they don't pay Marlboro?
    Forza Ferrari

No I don't believe Marlboro get a slice of any other ads. Ferrari is red not cause of Marlboro....Santander pay Ferrari for sponsorship they don't pay Marlboro?
    Malboro has a long standing history with Ferrari than any other advertiser....even Santandar. I never said Ferrari is red cause of Malboro. As I said, Malboro(PM) and Ferrari

split the percantage of ads on the car due to the amount of money it gives to Ferrari....it(PM) certainly is not gonna break even or take a loss over the course of the

contract???? How much of that ad space is Malboro's (PM) since its 40yr deals with Ferrari depends on the percentage of ad space on the car that most of us are not privy too.

PM pumps in more money into Ferrari than any other advertiser currently and since its dealings with Ferrari. Since it cannot put Malboro on the car, it buys(pays) for ad space.

Malboro has a long standing history with Ferrari than any other advertiser....even Santandar. I never said Ferrari is red cause of Malboro. As I said, Malboro(PM) and Ferrari

split the percantage of ads on the car due to the amount of money it gives to Ferrari....it(PM) certainly is not gonna break even or take a loss over the course of the

contract???? How much of that ad space is Malboro's (PM) since its 40yr deals with Ferrari depends on the percentage of ad space on the car that most of us are not privy too.

PM pumps in more money into Ferrari than any other advertiser currently and since its dealings with Ferrari. Since it cannot put Malboro on the car, it buys(pays) for ad space.
    Marlboro is just a sponsor like any other, a title sponsor? Long standing or not they pay to be associated with Ferrari, an association you admit is not going to be made by many fans which is the point Tony made and myself? I have never seen anything that suggest PM own our livery and any other sponsorship money is shared with them? The white on the car and team wear is for Marlboro. PM pay more as they are a title sponsor, they used to get listed in our official name etc....
    Forza Ferrari

Marlboro is just a sponsor like any other, a title sponsor? Long standing or not they pay to be associated with Ferrari, an association you admit is not going to be made by many fans which is the point Tony made and myself? I have never seen anything that suggest PM own our livery and any other sponsorship money is shared with them? The white on the car and team wear is for Marlboro. PM pay more as they are a title sponsor, they used to get listed in our official name etc....
    While other sponsors get to advertise their logo on the car, Malboro(PM) cannot. Where is Malboro's logo? Why would a sponsor, aside from equipping Ferrari with services, sponsor Ferrari?

To put a logo on the car given said size of the logo and amount ($$$$$) of sponsorship and location on the car for the whole world to see. The ONLY sponsor thats not on the car is Malboro

(logo-wise)....but it has ad-space; NOT the livery of car!!!! Where that ad-space is at on the car is between Ferrari and Malboro(PM). So for example, if Santandar decides to put its logo on

the rear wing, guess what, thats Malboro's ad-space (which it already paid for) but it cannot put the Malboro logo on the rear wing SOOOOO Santandar pays Malboro which it already paid

Ferrari. Malboro is unique in these sponsors because it CANNOT advertise its logo like the rest of these sponsors but it can buy ad space like the rest of these sponsors.

While other sponsors get to advertise their logo on the car, Malboro(PM) cannot. Where is Malboro's logo? Why would a sponsor, aside from equipping Ferrari with services, sponsor Ferrari?

To put a logo on the car given said size of the logo and amount ($$$$$) of sponsorship and location on the car for the whole world to see. The ONLY sponsor thats not on the car is Malboro

(logo-wise)....but it has ad-space; NOT the livery of car!!!! Where that ad-space is at on the car is between Ferrari and Malboro(PM). So for example, if Santandar decides to put its logo on

the rear wing, guess what, thats Malboro's ad-space (which it already paid for) but it cannot put the Malboro logo on the rear wing SOOOOO Santandar pays Malboro which it already paid

Ferrari. Malboro is unique in these sponsors because it CANNOT advertise its logo like the rest of these sponsors but it can buy ad space like the rest of these sponsors.
    So it's a pointless deal as far as promoting Marlboro, as I said already....and what is with the weird spaces in your posts?
    Forza Ferrari

So it's a pointless deal as far as promoting Marlboro, as I said already....and what is with the weird spaces in your posts?
    Your original post said it was pointless for Malboro. I said it was not pointless due to the ad space they(Malboro) buy and having another sponsor buy and using their logo on Malboro's ad

space. Now your saying its pointless to advertise for Malboro.....of course it is since no one can SEE IT due to the Tobacco law. You and I have two different views of the matter originally.

As far as the spacing...which are you referring too...the double space or when you put it in quotes? If in quotes, it has to do with the parameters of the quote icon. If the double space, thats

my doing only to read it better when I read from line to line. I have a tendency of jumping a line every now and then from time to time when its single space.

Dunno what your doing with your line breaks but it's really hard to ready your posts.
    Forza Ferrari

Not really sure what PM would gain from this deal. A cynic would assume it is for money laundering/tax evasion purposes which PM is accused of in the early 2000's. I'm sure it's not for these devious reasons and they are top brands in the world so being partners is advantageous for both I guess.

Oh come on, the nasty tobacco industry is everything but stupid. Of course they have huge benefits by sponsoring Ferrari. Selling ad space is just one of them.

Who really cares which company sponsors what team? Do we watch F1 for the sponsors? Personally I've never bought anything just because I'd seen it on a car. And I love the hyprocrisy of people on other forums "Ferrari signed with Marlboro when tobacco advertising is illegal , they're causing people to start smoking" etc , but no mention of Williams advertising alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1984 View Post
    Who really cares which company sponsors what team? Do we watch F1 for the sponsors? Personally I've never bought anything just because I'd seen it on a car. And I love the hyprocrisy of people on other forums "Ferrari signed with Marlboro when tobacco advertising is illegal , they're causing people to start smoking" etc , but no mention of Williams advertising alcohol.
    The difference hear is one is visual(alcohol).....the other is not(Malboro), thereby causing people NOT to smoke. You do have a case when they banned tobacco and brought in "alcohol."

To be honest, I had also forgotten about the sponsorship... I would sincerely be interested in knowing how Marlboro considers this marketing initiative a good investment. Although I guess at this point with the amount of restrictions placed on advertising tobacco, there aren't many other opportunities for them...
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

To be honest, I had also forgotten about the sponsorship... I would sincerely be interested in knowing how Marlboro considers this marketing initiative a good investment. Although I guess at this point with the amount of restrictions placed on advertising tobacco, there aren't many other opportunities for them...
    This is just a hypothetical Tony but here it goes. PMI (Philip Morris International - Marlboro) owns all the ad-space on the car. They in turn act as a consultant/agency for advertising for Ferrari since that is their niche(advertising). Whatever proceeds they(PMI) get from other sponsors to advertise on the car, they in turn split the monies between them and Ferrari. What that split is??? Its between PMI and Ferrari.

There I said it.

AAAAAAANNNNNDDDD since Maurizio WAS PMI's marketing/advertising man, I think he has a say in the matter with regards to advertising for Ferrari on the F1 car. He probably gets paid 2x.....Ferrari and PMI.
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 8th September 2017 at 17:25.

This is just a hypothetical Tony but here it goes. PMI (Philip Morris International - Marlboro) owns all the ad-space on the car. They in turn act as a consultant/agency for advertising for Ferrari since that is their niche(advertising). Whatever proceeds they(PMI) get from other sponsors to advertise on the car, they in turn split the monies between them and Ferrari. What that split is??? Its between PMI and Ferrari.

There I said it.

AAAAAAANNNNNDDDD since Maurizio WAS PMI's marketing/advertising man, I think he has a say in the matter with regards to advertising for Ferrari on the F1 car. He probably gets paid 2x.....Ferrari and PMI.
    So it still seems rather pointless as the PM brand is not promoted and I doubt they come out of it making money otherwise it's a stupid deal for Ferrari.
    Forza Ferrari

otherwise it's a stupid deal for Ferrari.

The deal before the sponsorhip was banned was estimated to be worth 45 million Euro's PER YEAR as well as paying for Michael Schumacher's salary. This current deal is said
    be even more lucrative. PMI injects over 50 plus million dollars per year into Ferrari........stupid????? I think not... which says alot about their loyalty to Ferrari.

Note: Sergio Marchionne is on the board of directors for PMI.

The deal before the sponsorhip was banned was estimated to be worth 45 million Euro's PER YEAR as well as paying for Michael Schumacher's salary. This current deal is said
    be even more lucrative. PMI injects over 50 plus million dollars per year into Ferrari........stupid????? I think not... which says alot about their loyalty to Ferrari.

Note: Sergio Marchionne is on the board of directors for PMI.
    Your not quite getting it are you? If Malrboro make money from this deal by selling ads then its ads Ferrari could sell themselves, so either PM are taking a loss for no advertising their brand, or Ferrari are losing out. I imagine it's PM making a loss so as I said 10 times its a pointless deal for them as they make no money from it and get no brand advertising from it.
    Forza Ferrari