Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252637 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari 2020 Challenger Thread

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    Rear wing much smaller or..optical illusion
    same size. It's definitely lower from the previous year. I'm sure we'll see a high downforce and low downforce rear wing with regards to the track.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Just my opinion, this Mission Winnow logo is hideous. It looks like some tiger, or better zebra stripes

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Just my opinion, this Mission Winnow logo is hideous. It looks like some tiger, or better zebra stripes
    Even the cap has a a big Mission Winnow logo in the middle. Just hideous.
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

The SF1000 looks great. The red tone is obviously much darker and therefor better than last year. I've also always had the opinion that the wings should be black but somehow that never happens anymore. But still it will be easier on the eyes to watch the races this season.

Binotto said. "It may look very similar to last year but believe me it is completely different to last year". I agree. The design doesn't look that much different at first glance (same slim rear) so hopefully there are some hidden angles that can't been seen just by rotating the car on a stage. And obviosuly evolutions under the cover as well. If it's true that the SF1000 will use 50% less oils then that's also a big leap.

But all things considered, Ferrari really need to cut out all the mistakes by drivers, pit wall, pit crew and the quality control of parts coming from Maranello to the circuits. It won't be enough to just fix one or two of these issues. The only way to beat Merc and win the WCC is by having a perfect season, and even that might not be enough.

Roll on 2020, the last real F1 season.

Quote Originally Posted by 512 TR View Post
    The SF1000 looks great. The red tone is obviously much darker and therefor better than last year. I've also always had the opinion that the wings should be black but somehow that never happens anymore. But still it will be easier on the eyes to watch the races this season.

Binotto said. "It may look very similar to last year but believe me it is completely different to last year". I agree. The design doesn't look that much different at first glance (same slim rear) so hopefully there are some hidden angles that can't been seen just by rotating the car on a stage. And obviosuly evolutions under the cover as well. If it's true that the SF1000 will use 50% less oils then that's also a big leap.

But all things considered, Ferrari really need to cut out all the mistakes by drivers, pit wall, pit crew and the quality control of parts coming from Maranello to the circuits. It won't be enough to just fix one or two of these issues. The only way to beat Merc and win the WCC is by having a perfect season, and even that might not be enough.

Ferrari definitely needs to get its act together on fast efficient pit stops.

Last real F1 season was 2008. R.I.P. F1

Any idea if we are doing a filming day at Fiorano ?

Anybody have pictures of last year's reveal saved? The changes would be more evident if we saw the two side by side.

Here’s a thought: if we are simultaneously developing the 2020 and 2021 cars, why not just use the 2021 car this year and scrap the 2020 car?

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorUS View Post
    Anybody have pictures of last year's reveal saved? The changes would be more evident if we saw the two side by side.

page 11, post #326

Ferrari livery comparison: SF90 vs SF1000 [Interactive comparison]

https://f1ingenerale.com/f1-confront...o-interattivo/

Chinese race called off due to corona virus Vietnam under pressure also.Two less headaches for Ferrari.Head aches for mercedes china has always been strong Merc track.The sf 1000 looks amazing don't worry it will have balance , downforce, and a speed advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Here’s a thought: if we are simultaneously developing the 2020 and 2021 cars, why not just use the 2021 car this year and scrap the 2020 car?
    Can't use the 2021 car because the regulations are different including the front wing, side pods and rear wings. Also, the 2021 cars will use the 18 inch Pirellis and the cars would be optimized for the same. TBH, 2021 is a bogey year, much like 2009 wherein Brawn won both the championship with the blown diffusor concept. Any team in 2021 finds and exploits a potent loophole will be ahead!

Ten key design points on the new Ferrari SF1000

By: Giorgio Piola
    Co-author: Matthew Somerfield
    Feb 13, 2020, 11:21 AM

Using the Ferrari SF90 that raced last year as a yardstick with Giorgio Piola’s latest sketches of the SF1000 overlaid, let’s dive in and unlock the differences between these two machines...
    1. The nose utilises a similar cape solution to the design introduced by Ferrari in Singapore last season, with changes made to the nose tip shape in order to optimise its performance.

2. The turning vanes have been brought forward and are more complex than last year, with seven elements now hung beneath the nose and chassis.

3. The wheels have been redesigned with their partner O.Z. and feature longer spokes due to the central hub being reduced in diameter. This will allow more air to be passed through the brake duct assembly and out through the wheel face, a technique preferred by others last season given the prohibition of the blown axle solution.

4. The bargeboards have been carefully redesigned to maximise flow to the sidepods and their inlets behind, with the forwardmost section divided into three and made even taller than last year. Meanwhile, a twin boomerang solution has been deployed with a slimmer one mounted at the front end of the assembly and a larger one at the rear.

5. The innovative sidepod solution introduced in 2017, that placed the upper side impact spar at a lower and more forward locale has been retained but improved upon. It has clearly taken inspiration from Red Bull in this regard, with two winged sections above and ahead of the main cooling inlet allowing it to be much smaller, whilst also serving their own aerodynamic purposes. These changes have also led to a more aerodynamically beneficial wing mirror design, with both stalks serving as flow conditioning devices as well as supports for the actual mirror.

6. The airbox retains its narrow trapezoidal shape, a feature that’s enabled the designers to install ‘horns’ either side, serving as flow conditioners that should improve flow to the rear wing. This is not a new solution, just one that has been reinterpreted for the prevailing regulations, with McLaren using a similar design back in 2005, something that other teams duly copied thereafter.

7. The engine cover is dramatically slimmer and carries a much lower line thanks to work done by the powertrain department to repackage the power unit and ancillaries. This extends to the sidepods too, where we can see just how much tighter the packaging is when compared with its predecessor.

8. An all-new gearbox, which has the same volume but is much narrower, permits much narrower bodywork at the rear of the car, improving flow into the coke bottle region.

9. The T-wing is not dramatically new when compared with their opposition but does feature some novelties compared with last year's car. The double swan-neck rear wing supports have also been retained, as has the single element wastegate pipework, although work done at the tail end of last season could see them switch to a double wastegate arrangement at a later date.

10. The endplate of the rear wing has been optimised for 2020, with care taken over the number and design of the strakes placed on the wider section of the wing. As usual, we’d expect to see a number of rear wing configurations throughout the season in order to cater for the demands of the specific circuit that they’ll be visiting.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...ont-nose-under
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by vcs316 View Post
    Ten key design points on the new Ferrari SF1000

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/...00-sketch-.jpg

By: Giorgio Piola
    Co-author: Matthew Somerfield
    Feb 13, 2020, 11:21 AM

Using the Ferrari SF90 that raced last year as a yardstick with Giorgio Piola’s latest sketches of the SF1000 overlaid, let’s dive in and unlock the differences between these two machines...
    1. The nose utilises a similar cape solution to the design introduced by Ferrari in Singapore last season, with changes made to the nose tip shape in order to optimise its performance.

2. The turning vanes have been brought forward and are more complex than last year, with seven elements now hung beneath the nose and chassis.

3. The wheels have been redesigned with their partner O.Z. and feature longer spokes due to the central hub being reduced in diameter. This will allow more air to be passed through the brake duct assembly and out through the wheel face, a technique preferred by others last season given the prohibition of the blown axle solution.

4. The bargeboards have been carefully redesigned to maximise flow to the sidepods and their inlets behind, with the forwardmost section divided into three and made even taller than last year. Meanwhile, a twin boomerang solution has been deployed with a slimmer one mounted at the front end of the assembly and a larger one at the rear.

5. The innovative sidepod solution introduced in 2017, that placed the upper side impact spar at a lower and more forward locale has been retained but improved upon. It has clearly taken inspiration from Red Bull in this regard, with two winged sections above and ahead of the main cooling inlet allowing it to be much smaller, whilst also serving their own aerodynamic purposes. These changes have also led to a more aerodynamically beneficial wing mirror design, with both stalks serving as flow conditioning devices as well as supports for the actual mirror.

6. The airbox retains its narrow trapezoidal shape, a feature that’s enabled the designers to install ‘horns’ either side, serving as flow conditioners that should improve flow to the rear wing. This is not a new solution, just one that has been reinterpreted for the prevailing regulations, with McLaren using a similar design back in 2005, something that other teams duly copied thereafter.

7. The engine cover is dramatically slimmer and carries a much lower line thanks to work done by the powertrain department to repackage the power unit and ancillaries. This extends to the sidepods too, where we can see just how much tighter the packaging is when compared with its predecessor.

8. An all-new gearbox, which has the same volume but is much narrower, permits much narrower bodywork at the rear of the car, improving flow into the coke bottle region.

9. The T-wing is not dramatically new when compared with their opposition but does feature some novelties compared with last year's car. The double swan-neck rear wing supports have also been retained, as has the single element wastegate pipework, although work done at the tail end of last season could see them switch to a double wastegate arrangement at a later date.

10. The endplate of the rear wing has been optimised for 2020, with care taken over the number and design of the strakes placed on the wider section of the wing. As usual, we’d expect to see a number of rear wing configurations throughout the season in order to cater for the demands of the specific circuit that they’ll be visiting.

https://cdn-5.motorsport.com/images/...rari-sf100.jpg

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...ont-nose-under
    Thanks for the post

Ferrari not changing front wing concept but will have "quite a lot" more downforce

Ferrari's decision to focus on reducing drag rather than increasing downforce with their 2019 car was a costly one as they lost more time in the corners than they made up on the straights.

The front wing concept Ferrari had for the SF90 in 2019 was still bolted on at Tuesday's presentation of the SF1000, and Binotto explained this wasn't just for show.

“We will not change our concept, it will remain like that, even on whatever we may test later on," the Italian was quoted by Motorsport.com.

"I think this is the right concept for us. I think we improved a lot the downforce, not only through the wing but if you look at the car itself, turning vanes especially.

"It's quite a lot of high complexity, I would say. The entire car, the slimmer car, makes as well the back of the car and the diffuser work better. So, finally I think the overall [downforce] has certainly increased.”

Increasing downforce typically goes hand-in-hand with increased drag and therefore reduced top speed and Binotto knows this, although he does think his crew have found the right balance between low-drag and high downforce as he underlines they'll have a much stickier car in the corners now.

“Where is the right balance? I think it's difficult to know, difficult to know what the others are doing as well. But certainly we increased by quite a lot our downforce.

“As I said, I think the starting point of this car has been the one of last year, so we have not changed our concept. So let's say that the wheelbase and rake [are] pretty much similar.”

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/54673...to-on-car.html

Quote Originally Posted by JPMFerrari View Post
    Ferrari definitely needs to get its act together on fast efficient pit stops.
    Yes.

My opinion is this. Ferrari should set up three internal goals for this season.

1. Finish the races at least in the same position as qualifying. If it turns out we are behind Merc and RBR at some circuits, do everything in our power to at least salvage the same points the team has at the start.

2. Check everything coming out of Maranello one or two times more often than the norm today. Before the parts are shipped to the races.

3. Most circuits favor the undercut (not all). Always stop before Merc and RBR no matter what. Better to be the trigger than being too late. Be aggressive.

If Ferrari can live up to this all year long then it's a good start.

Bonus. Tell the FIA not to meddle with on track action like Canada and Austria last year. Please just don't. Let them race.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Last real F1 season was 2008. R.I.P. F1
    I disagree because of the fact that the 2021 rules and Concorde agreemnet are created to dumb down the sport in a way that has never been done before. It's a vicious and calculated move orchestrated by the same people we all once held in high regard.
    Last edited by 512 TR; 13th February 2020 at 12:59.

Quote Originally Posted by dfunk257 View Post
    Tifosi where do you get the hi res photos from?
    Some are from Ferrari's website, others are screenshots taken during the live stream.

Yes.

1. Finish the races at least in the same position as qualifying. If it turns out we are behind Merc and RBR at some circuits, do everything in our power to at least salvage the same points the team has at the start.

2. Check everything coming out of Maranello one or two times more often than the norm today. Before the parts are shipped to the races.

3. Most circuits favor the undercut (not all). Always stop before Merc and RBR no matter what. Better to be the trigger than being too late. Be aggressive.

Bonus. Tell the FIA not to meddle with on track action like Canada and Austria last year. Please just don't. Let them race.

I disagree because of the fact that the 2021 rules and Concorde agreemnet are created to dumb down the sport in a way that has never been done before. It's a vicious and calculated move orchestrated by the same people we all once held in high regard.
    Agree. It died two times!

2019-2020 SLIDERS

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorUS View Post
    https://www.motorsportweek.com/2020/...90-and-sf1000/
    TRY THIS SLIDERS
    Changes aren't permanent........But change is.
    ALL LIVES MATTER... EVEN YOURS

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Some are from Ferrari's website, others are screenshots taken during the live stream.
    Grazie
    CUT ME. CUT YOU. BOTH OUR BLOOD IS FERRARI RED!

Yes.

Revaluate the pit crew work. Too many mistakes, and also being Mercedes and Red Bull when it comes to pit stop times.

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by JPMFerrari View Post
    Revaluate the pit crew work. Too many mistakes, and also being Mercedes and Red Bull when it comes to pit stop times.
    Basically they need to change everything

Seb and also Charles have to minimise the mistakes and errors they are making with overdriving the car. Hope the rear is more stable this year.

why aren't we doing a shake down like merc and red bull have done??
    we're allowed to do 100Km for "filming purposes" are we NOT??? that way we know that everything works well electronically, mechanically....etc
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    why aren't we doing a shake down like merc and red bull have done??
    we're allowed to do 100Km for "filming purposes" are we NOT??? that way we know that everything works well electronically, mechanically....etc
    Charles did 130 laps in a "mule" car last week.......(wink wink).

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Charles did 130 laps in a "mule" car last week.......(wink wink).
    That’s not even close...mule car is a 2019

I meant a shake down of the actual sf1000....just like Merc and red fools did with their new cars
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    That’s not even close...mule car is a 2019

I meant a shake down of the actual sf1000....just like Merc and red fools did with their new cars

Who's to say there was'nt 2020 electronics, PU, and so on "in the car"???

Anyways, testing is next week.

Y
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Who's to say there was'nt 2020 electronics, PU, and so on "in the car"???

Anyways, testing is next week.
    I personally don’t think such thing is allowed
    I thought it had to be 2019 stuff in the car with mods to be able to fit 18 inche wheels and tires....but what do I know?