Page 13 of 63 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262738 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 F1 news

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Yeah it's Formula One not a beauty contest.....don't see what your moaning about really. It's a very decent replacement and gets kids that are involved in motorsport to get close to F1, but maybe we should be discouraging youngsters in motorsport that would be a much better idea LOL. I don't know why you even watch F1 as all you do is moan about it?
    Formula One is not a beauty contest, but it IS supposed to be glamorous. I could do without the models clapping by the podium, however. That's always come off as tacky to me.

Disappointed Since 2010

Is it? Tell that to the mechanics covered in gearbox oil working 20 hours a day
    Forza Ferrari

Disappointed Since 2010

Well, they have a bit of time left to enjoy some of the glamour at least.

Every mechanic have a Pirelli calendar (and some even more spicy) on his garage,so i presume they want to see some beautiful ladies !!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Every mechanic have a Pirelli calendar (and some even more spicy) on his garage,so i presume they want to see some beautiful ladies !!!!!

I have me one of those calenders!!!

poking fun at F1

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2018/...7532456706.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post

I have me one of those calenders!!!

poking fun at F1

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2018/...7532456706.jpg
    This is great
    Sadly it becomes more and more true....

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    Formula One is not a beauty contest, but it IS supposed to be glamorous. I could do without the models clapping by the podium, however. That's always come off as tacky to me.
    Tacky? The best part of the podium is the girls, they go by tooo fast. The girls should get interviewed. It can't be your more into drinking out of a sneaker, or boys wasting champagne.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Tacky? The best part of the podium is the girls, they go by tooo fast. The girls should get interviewed. It can't be your more into drinking out of a sneaker, or boys wasting champagne.
    The best part of the podium is seeing drivers who wear red occupying the top two positions. Anything else is a bust.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    The best part of the podium is seeing drivers who wear red occupying the top two positions. Anything else is a bust.
    OK when Ferrari wins 1st, 2nd, the drivers should have grid girls dressed in Red along side them on the podium! Make up your mind, what's your favorite color, Giallo o Rosso? Either color the grid girls will look fine !!

New engine rules for 2018

Last year's intense Formula 1 title fight between Ferrari and Mercedes meant boundaries were being pushed and rules clarifications called on - and there are more in store for 2018.

Oil burn was the main regulatory controversy of the 2017 F1 season.

A spate of clarifications on this matter coincided with an ebb and flow of Mercedes and Ferrari's performance - even though there was never a suggestion either of them had outright broken rules.

One consequences of the oil burn controversy was a push by teams and the FIA to impose new rules for 2018 to stop any grey areas of the regulations being exploited.

Those clarifications go beyond oil burn, suggesting other engine tricks were being used:

Oil burn limits

The FIA began last year a process of limiting the amount of oil that could be burned during the course of a grand prix.

From September's Italian Grand Prix, teams could only burn 0.9 litres of oil per 100km. For the 2018 season, this limit has been reduced to just 0.6 litres of oil per 100km.

Now new regulations have been introduced to help the FIA keep a closer eye on what teams are doing.

* Teams must supply the measurement of the oil level of the main tank to the FIA at all times of the event. The mass of oil contained in each oil tank, with the exception of the main oil tank, must also now be declared to the FIA one hour before the start of the race.

* Active control valves between any part of the power unit and the engine intake air will be banned.

With sump breather pipes now feeding excess oil back into the engine through the intake - rather than out of the back of the car as happened decades ago - this will prevent clever systems diverting this oil into the engine for a power boost.

* Teams will be limited to a single oil specification per engine at a given grand prix - which must be declared before the event gets under way.

This will prevent teams using a qualifying oil specification for extra power, and switching to a different type for the race.

There are also much stricter definitions of what oil should be - with set characteristics to ensure that it is being used purely for lubrication, cleaning and cooling and not for any power boost.

Article 20.1.2 of F1's technical regulations states: "The presence of any component that cannot be rationally associated with the defined functions of the engine oil will be deemed unacceptable."

Recycling fluids

There is a further clampdown on alternative uses of other fluids as well as oil.

A new article 5.1.12 of the technical regulations makes it clear that any breather fluids must exit the car at the rear, and cannot be recycled for use in the engine.

It states: "All power unit breather fluids may only vent to atmosphere and must pass through an orifice which is positioned rearward of the rear axle centre line and less than 400mm above the reference plane and less than 100mm from the car centre plane. No breather fluids may re-enter the power unit."

That suggests teams had been finding scope to use power-boosting additives in breather fluids, that could then get put back in the system to be burned by the engine as they came back through.

Article 5.14.2 adds: "The addition of any substance other than fuel into the air destined for combustion is forbidden. Exhaust gas recirculation is forbidden."

Engine temperatures

One particularly intriguing rulebook addition relates to engine temperatures, raisising some eyebrows about what prompted such a change.

A new article 5.6.8 of the technical regulations makes it clear that in the engine plenum air (defined officially as from plenum entry to cylinder head), temperatures must now hit a minimum target.

The rule states: "Engine plenum...air temperature must be more than 10 degrees centigrade above ambient temperature. When assessing compliance, the temperature of the air will be the lap average recorded, by an FIA approved and sealed sensor located in an FIA approved location situated in the engine plenum, during every lap of the race."

While some laps will not count for this average (the first lap of the race, laps carried out behind the safety car and laps with a pitstop), it is clear that the FIA wants an overall picture of what teams are doing with the air going into engines.

The requirement for teams to keep above a minimum temperature suggests that there was scope for the air to be cooled - which would help the performance of F1's turbo hybrid engines.

Hotter air holds less oxygen than cooler air, meaning that the turbo will have to work harder, spin faster and compress more air to produce the same amount of boost than it would get if things were cooler.

If the turbo is already at its maximum potential, then it will mean that engine performance gets reduced as the air temperature increases.

There can be other knock-on effects of warmer air too - it can increase the temperature inside the turbo, which causes a further loss of power, with the intercooler becoming less efficient too.

It is hard to predict right now what impact - if any - the new FIA regulations on engines will have in 2018.

Opinions were, after all, divided last year about how much the performance gap between Mercedes and Ferrari closed up and spread out as the various oil burn clarifications came out.

But the tighter scrutiny on what teams are doing with engines should at least bring an end to a lot of suspicions and finger-pointing - until, of course, teams find another grey area to go away and chase.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...ricks-for-2018

Interesting article. I wonder if this will help close up the field, if so thats a good thing.

Any change in spark plugs?

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Any change in spark plugs?
    Lol....
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Alot of garages nowadays do have those sort of calenders or even pictures up in their working bays or offices. Because its seen as unprofessional, tacky. Its not about "good ol boys" want seeing "ladies" in the buff" times have moved on. Its not good for the business and sends out the wrong message to new customers, suppliers.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by jragona View Post
    Interesting article. I wonder if this will help close up the field, if so thats a good thing.
    Let's hope so.......

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Alot of garages nowadays do have those sort of calenders or even pictures up in their working bays or offices. Because its seen as unprofessional, tacky. Its not about "good ol boys" want seeing "ladies" in the buff" times have moved on. Its not good for the business and sends out the wrong message to new customers, suppliers.
    Yes, times have moved on. It was'nt just guys or "good ol boys" wanting to see ladies in the buff....ladies or women "don't mind seeing ladies in the buff." And yes, it's not good for business and sends the wrong message; so women can date women and men can date men in the workplace. Hey, whatever floats your boat.

As Dr John Medina writes in his Brain Rules book, there are 3 things that arouse human attention.
    1) can I eat it / will it eat me
    2) can I mate with it / will it mate with me
    3) have I seen this before (pattern recognition)
    There's a couple of million years of evolution gone into human brain wiring and, I'll just confirm as a fact that no amount of this new-to-evolution "Political Correctness" (PC) can change that. Rule 2 is always going to apply, PC can try but there is not a snowflakes change in hell that you can change the rule. You may as well try and tell people they can't put up pictures of food.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    A lot of those calendars are considered 'Art', as are photo shoots like Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition. Political Correctness is devastating the career paths for a multitude of women. What are all these models going to do now? What can they aspire to if all the calendars, postcards, posters, magazines stop taking their pictures, sports venues stop using them, exhibitions shun them and men have to pretend scantily clad women don't interest them?
    I feel bad for all these women.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    A lot of those calendars are considered 'Art', as are photo shoots like Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition. Political Correctness is devastating the career paths for a multitude of women. What are all these models going to do now? What can they aspire to if all the calendars, postcards, posters, magazines stop taking their pictures, sports venues stop using them, exhibitions shun them and men have to pretend scantily clad women don't interest them?
    I feel bad for all these women.
    +1

And who is being the hypocrite here. A PC group "infringing" their rights on another group because they (PC group) feel or deem what is acceptable in "todays" societal norms. Puuuuhhhhhlllllllleeeeeeessse.

If I was in F1 right now and kickin a$$ and single, I would bring in a group (4 is good) of them with me just to spite "groupPC". Let them make their own judgement of me as their minds mull over the quagmire of what they might be thinkin--> "that man with 4 women!!!!" Yep, get my James Hunt on.

There are way more problems on the track with F1 than grid girls. How bout prioritizing those first, yes I know not till 2021, to bring viewership back. This is just another nail on the coffin as more people get frustrated with the sport. Personally, I watch grid girls whether on TV or live.

Ferrari regrets the banning of grid girls.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e7/48...522757297c.jpg

Ferrari regrets the banning of grid girls.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e7/48...522757297c.jpg
    D@#$ that is noice....ha,ha
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Looks like GRO "leaked" the 2018 car too early....well a part of it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be6I0p3n...grosjeanromain

Looks like GRO "leaked" the 2018 car too early....well a part of it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be6I0p3n...grosjeanromain
    He's saying that it's not the 2018 car but the vf17!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

He's saying that it's not the 2018 car but the vf17!
    Now why did'nt I catch that. thanks Pure Passion.

Now why did'nt I catch that. thanks Pure Passion.
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

The 1st ignition for is too!!!

"FERRARI 2018: effettuata con successo la prima messa in moto della monoposto" https://t.co/hPg1DpwxjW
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by farid-baku View Post
    Kewl!!!!

By the way farid, you have a beautiful city. Hopefully it stays on the F1 calender for quite sometime. I love how the drivers go balls out on T16 (I believe) all the way down the to the straight (T20).

Kewl!!!!

By the way farid, you have a beautiful city. Hopefully it stays on the F1 calender for quite sometime. I love how the drivers go balls out on T16 (I believe) all the way down the to the straight (T20).
    Thank you so much nice words about our city.Last years best GP at the end of season.Yes you talk about in frant of bulvard an Filarmony

Does anyone have any drawings or rumors of what the 2018 challenger will look like? Time to focus on the most important issue this season rather than discuss grid girls... having a reliable fast car to win titles!!!