Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Ricciardo leaves RBR for Renault

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    - RedBull more than likely offered him a lesser deal than Max.

- Ricciardo believes the Honda unit won't deliver at RedBull hence the "lateral" move to Renault.

- Ferrari and Mercedes are out of the equation definitely.
    That's exactly how I see it. He could not move up because Merc is all booked and even if Kimi leaves Ferrari, Charles will take over. Danny had no seat at a better team. Couple that with the idea of running the worst engine on the grid next year, and there is no reason to stay at RBR. They have a phenomenal chassis, but I doubt they will see a single podium next year, let a lone a win. McLaren is 2-10 years away from fighting for wins according to their Cief. This was the best choice for him. Sucks, because he is a good driver and I would like to see him at Ferrari one day.

I hope it works out well for him, I like the guy and most likely RB switching to Honda played a key role

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    This was the best choice for him. Sucks, because he is a good driver and I would like to see him at Ferrari one day.
    Never going to happen, half a dozen drivers out there are better than Ricciardo.

Quote Originally Posted by chinmay View Post
    Never going to happen, half a dozen drivers out there are better than Ricciardo.
    "I would like" and "He will" are two vastly different things. Not sure what you are arguing about.

Great... Ricciardo doesnt go to Ferrari, thank god.
    Then we wont have all the Aussie bogan bandwagon fans stinking up ferrari just because an aussie is there.

Bold move could work out like Hamilton's move to Merc did or backfire like Alonso going to McLaren Honda hopefully for Riccardo's sake it works out well would have loved to see him drive for Ferrari

Did not see that coming.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

Bon chance Daniel, but not too much or at our expense;) I like the guy and he does have talent and tries very hard. He probably has a very bad feeling about Honda supplanting Renault power at RB
    and who would blame him? Even with their beloved (and better paid?) wonderboy Verstappen (+ Sainz?) they will flounder with Honda's feeble and less reliable mill and Horner's orneriness and the
    obvious favoritism he shows Vercrashen. Probably a wise and safe move sideways since he can't move up......

Quote Originally Posted by Liscia View Post
    Bon chance Daniel, but not too much or at our expense;) I like the guy and he does have talent and tries very hard. He probably has a very bad feeling about Honda supplanting Renault power at RB
    and who would blame him? Even with their beloved (and better paid?) wonderboy Verstappen (+ Sainz?) they will flounder with Honda's feeble and less reliable mill and Horner's orneriness and the
    obvious favoritism he shows Vercrashen. Probably a wise and safe move sideways since he can't move up......
    Good to see you, amico mio!

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Maybe it's a lost opportunity for Ferrari should Kimi decide to retire, Daniel is a likeable personality and a great opportunist driver but it may well have upset Seb if he came to Ferrari. I am not sure that he puts great value on his Italian heritage, as others have suggested, but I think he'd like to have had the opportunity to be in a Ferrari. I still find it a surprising move to Renault but they have a history of spoiling our title hopes, so we'd better not under-estimate the combination!

Quote Originally Posted by DJTaurus View Post
    Leaving Red Bull for a worse team like Renault means that Red Bull replaced him and not ric left them....very weird decision for Red Bull to replace its second driver with someone worse. Maybe it’s because that sainz like Alonso has strong sponsors and money talks!
    Maybe they did not like that when RIC was saying that he wants to drive Ferrari or Mercs....

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    Maybe they did not like that when RIC was saying that he wants to drive Ferrari or Mercs....
    I guess that played a very important role. You just can't say stupid things and get away with it. Look at Fred, huge talent, greedy and loud mouth, driving that McLaren kart.

Good decision, no point being Max's wingman.

It's possible that RB wants to focus solely on one racer from next season onwards. It's possible that they decided Max to be that driver hence Ric leaving the team and opting for Renault considering Ferrari and Merc doesn't want the trouble having Ric who is known as a driver that bites and shows muscle on the track.

I don't know but if Renault doesn't provide him with a title contender car his dream of becoming WDC is lost. Cant see him winning it with a different team other than Renault.

My prediction for RB's second driver is Sainz, they invested in him before but he never got his RB chance. If Sainz doesn't perform up to their expectations they will replace him with Gasly for 2019 given he performs well in 2019. Either way, they are relaxed because they got their star racer in Max.
    Last edited by Stormy; 3rd August 2018 at 21:17.

Interesting who will line up with Verstappen next year. Guess it will be either Gasly or Sainz. If I was chief at RBR, I would go with an experienced driver next to Max, but those are few and far between. I think F1 parted ways to early with the likes of Button or Massa. Maybe I am just nostalgic...

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    It's possible that RB wants to focus solely on one racer from next season onwards. It's possible that they decided Max to be that driver hence Ric leaving the team and opting for Renault considering Ferrari and Merc doesn't want the trouble having Ric who is known as a driver that bites and shows muscle on the track.

I don't know but if Renault doesn't provide him with a title contender car his dream of becoming WDC is lost. Cant see him winning it with a different team other than Renault.

My prediction for RB's second driver is Sainz, they invested in him before but he never got his RB chance. If Sainz doesn't perform up to their expectations they will replace him with Gasly for 2019 given he performs well in 2019. Either way, they are relaxed because they got their star racer in Max.
    Ricciardo left because he hated "playing second fiddle." At least with Renault, he will be #1.....in a second fiddle team. It mostly likely is'nt the money either.

Let's see how RedBull plays out for 2019.....Horner and Marko MIGHT have made the two biggest mistakes in RedBull history.

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    Interesting who will line up with Verstappen next year. Guess it will be either Gasly or Sainz. If I was chief at RBR, I would go with an experienced driver next to Max, but those are few and far between. I think F1 parted ways to early with the likes of Button or Massa. Maybe I am just nostalgic...
    Cyril A is the "Mona Lisa" to Horner after recent events between Renault and RedBull.................smirking all the while.

I would say that Vettel was the reason Dan didn't sign for Ferrari, which many have said. Vettel has always being number one until Dan arrived at RB. So question remains: where will Sainz go, and will Kimi stay? Other questions, such as the likelihood of Romain being booted out from Haas, creating a void in the market. I kind of feel for Dan, as he would have taken a big fight to someone like Lewis in the same car, but Lewis is driving like the true champ that he is at the moment (much to my discomfort). One wildcard that some have mentioned: I would not be disappointed if Kevin Magnuson ended up in Kimi's seat, as the driver has good race craft and can avoid clashes, even if he causes a few.

Quote Originally Posted by From Treviso View Post
    I would say that Vettel was the reason Dan didn't sign for Ferrari, which many have said. Vettel has always being number one until Dan arrived at RB. So question remains: where will Sainz go, and will Kimi stay? Other questions, such as the likelihood of Romain being booted out from Haas, creating a void in the market. I kind of feel for Dan, as he would have taken a big fight to someone like Lewis in the same car, but Lewis is driving like the true champ that he is at the moment (much to my discomfort). One wildcard that some have mentioned: I would not be disappointed if Kevin Magnuson ended up in Kimi's seat, as the driver has good race craft and can avoid clashes, even if he causes a few.
    You can't even spell his name right and you want him in a Ferrari? What is wrong with people nowadays, it's like they want any driver as long as it isnt our current line up. I can think of 13 better drivers than Magnussen on the current F1 grid(Mercedes, Ferrari, RBR, Renault, Force India current drivers, Fred, Gasly, Leclerc)

You can't even spell his name right and you want him in a Ferrari? What is wrong with people nowadays, it's like they want any driver as long as it isnt our current line up. I can think of 13 better drivers than Magnussen on the current F1 grid(Mercedes, Ferrari, RBR, Renault, Force India current drivers, Fred, Gasly, Leclerc)
    Sorry to offend you, IceMan. My reference was mainly if Kimi was to retire, as it's not impossible. But nothing would make me happier to see Kimi to win another race or two before the year's end, and I wouldn't want him to relinquish his position for Vettel either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Good to see you, amico mio!
    Ciao Lou!

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    That's true, but Max outdoing Dan big time when his car is running is a big factor. Dan wanting Merc or Ferrari is IMO every drivers dream esp. Ferrari. He's no where near the driver Kimi is .

kind of sad, its hard to picture him with another team but, yeah the guy deserves better than being treated inferior to Max, especially as he such a good talent and doesn't seem like a bonehead like Max.. mentally, maybe the 2021 rules is where Dan is looking at as renault might be back in the game then. hopefully mercedes would be gone mainly to formula e too lol
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Renault stepping up to the plate....financially. Good for Danny.

Ricciardo set to earn £20 million per year at Renault https://gptd.co/2Mi8DTD

Quote Originally Posted by From Treviso View Post
    Sorry to offend you, IceMan. My reference was mainly if Kimi was to retire, as it's not impossible. But nothing would make me happier to see Kimi to win another race or two before the year's end, and I wouldn't want him to relinquish his position for Vettel either.
    Not dissing at you, dissing at Magnussen. I don't rate him. Actually Ricciardo was the only I think would have done a good job at Ferrari.

Actually Ricciardo was the only I think would have done a good job at Ferrari.
    IMO I believe he approached them months ago knowing his situation with RedBull....whether physically or by phone.....Ferrari more than likely shut the door in his face. You don't go to Ferrari requesting a seat. Ferrari comes to you.

RBR pretty much stapled their flag to Max's post when he join the team. As, for whatever reason they see him as the long term "future" in him. Dani Ric, knew this and since then been looking to get out. Fair play to him.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

IMO I believe he approached them months ago knowing his situation with RedBull....whether physically or by phone.....Ferrari more than likely shut the door in his face. You don't go to Ferrari requesting a seat. Ferrari comes to you.
    I don’t think it’s exactly that way. Ferrari went after Alonso, after Schumacher era, jean todt & LDM disclosed it couple of times.

Renault is a works team, maybe they have better chance at closing the gap than RB.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Renault is a works team, maybe they have better chance at closing the gap than RB.
    i highly doubt it.....red fools have an immense amount of resources to build a strong chassis.....as we can all see even this year, they have the most efficeient downforce of the TOP 3 teams....all they're missing is a good engine....just imagine how good they would be with either a Ferrari or a Merc engine...i think they would be the team to beat

now next year they;ll have the HOnda engine...so a BIG ? mark there

Renault may be a WORKS team, but their resources in building a strong chassis are pretty limitied....and the engine is a NO match for teh competition....we'll see where they'll be next year
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Ricciardo left because he hated "playing second fiddle." At least with Renault, he will be #1.....in a second fiddle team. It mostly likely is'nt the money either.

Let's see how RedBull plays out for 2019.....Horner and Marko MIGHT have made the two biggest mistakes in RedBull history.

Cyril A is the "Mona Lisa" to Horner after recent events between Renault and RedBull.................smirking all the while.
    I don't think that RB will be overly competitive next year. It seems to me that they are behind Renault but by only a small margin. At least they seem stable. That said, i expect RB to hold on to their status quo fighting for third. But this time Renault might be a challenger for that third spot as well which means RB wont be that comfortable in third place anymore. So, Ferrari and Merc the only teams duking out for the title till 2021 at least.