Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FIA World Motor Sport Council approves F1 sale

FIA World Motor Sport Council approves F1 sale

Bernie Ecclestone to be eased aside as Liberty head for F1 ownership

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1...-f1-ownership/

20 to 25 races!! Miami, Vegas, Los Angeles, Austin!! Go Liberty !!! Finally the USA will have a big F1 menu!!! Just ask most any USA teenager to adult, " If you hit the big time $$ what's the first thing you do? Buy a Ferrari !!!!"

Well, the Americans sure know how to make a show, so let's see what will come out of this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Bernie Ecclestone to be eased aside as Liberty head for F1 ownership

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1...-f1-ownership/
    I remember when the deal was first talked about, it mentioned a phasing out period of about 3 yrs for Bernie, I'd be surprised if he has any more than an advisory role in half that time or less.
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Quote Originally Posted by abbottcostello View Post
    I remember when the deal was first talked about, it mentioned a phasing out period of about 3 yrs for Bernie, I'd be surprised if he has any more than an advisory role in half that time or less.
    Abbott, 3yrs ! I'd be surprised if he has any more than half that time or less! I hope he does.

Yeah, I also read in a couple of articles when the deal with Liberty started that he would serve as a " consultant" and be phased out completely in 2020.......does'nt look that way now.

Ecclestone’s F1 future in doubt (pub 01-20-17)

http://www.planetf1.com/news/ecclest...ture-in-doubt/

New F1 owners set for boardroom shake-up (pub. 01-21-17)

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...droom-shake-up

Its now official, Bernie has been severed ties with ANYTHING having to do with F1!!!!......we are witnessing some interesting times!!!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38723001

Ross Brawn new technical director of F1 Group:

http://www.supersport.com/motorsport...anagement_role

Bravo Ross Brawn! A sensible choice for the future of Formula One! I wish him the best of luck in looking after
    our favorite sport. Not all his decisions are bound to please all of us but I'm confident he will always try to do his best.

Quote Originally Posted by Liscia View Post
    Bravo Ross Brawn! A sensible choice for the future of Formula One! I wish him the best of luck in looking after
    our favorite sport. Not all his decisions are bound to please all of us but I'm confident he will always try to do his best.
    Agreed .....Hopefully.....no, wrong word, he and Liberty Group will turns things around for the better given his in-depth knowledge of the sport in the "garage" and outside of the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Liscia View Post
    Always liked Ross, hope he does nothing to change my opinion. Should be some interesting times ahead, especially on the social media & tech front.
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Good to see Ross back in F1. People rate Newey as a genius which he is but, Ross has a more illustrious career in F1
    Last edited by Rishu; 24th January 2017 at 07:39.

Thank goodness Bernie is not at the helm anymore, now we just need to get rid of the FIA...

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    Good to see Ross back in F1. People rate Newey as a genius which he is but, Ross has a more illustrious career in F1
    The two have different skill sets and areas of expertise so impossible to compare.

New management needed because F1 hasn't grown enough - Carey:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ne...-carey-868161/

FerrariSteve Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ManFromMilan View Post
    Thank goodness Bernie is not at the helm anymore, now we just need to get rid of the FIA...
    I'd hold your cheers back for a while.. sometimes its "better the devil you know".

Quote Originally Posted by BigGar32 View Post
    The two have different skill sets and areas of expertise so impossible to compare.
    Both have been technical directors with success

BigGar32 & Rishu - Both of you are correct.

One is on a macro-level, strategist: Pools talents together in a manageriel role, and achieves long term goals and is keen on everyone's job duties....gives techs, engineer's, strategists, room to breathe.

One is on a micro-level, tactitian: An "engineering" guru in the aero and chassis department and changes on the day-to-day, week-to-week, or month-to-month activities....short term goals and adaptive.

I don't see why Bernie leaving F1 will automatically mean it's a good thing.
    What Bernie has been doing is exactly what the new commercial owner will aim to do, which is to generate as much money as they can.

For 8 billion, these guys are certainly looking at commercializing F1 beyond what the sports have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    What Bernie has been doing is exactly what the new commercial owner will aim to do, which is to generate as much money as they can.

For 8 billion, these guys are certainly looking at commercializing F1 beyond what the sports have ever seen.
    Good point....Liberty group is possibly going to open more venues here in the states.....Look at us....Monster Trucks, dirt bikes, Nascar, Indy, Drag Racing, Petite Le Mans, IMSA, drag-boat racing -- all pretty much pointless to its core from an "earth-friendly" perspective but all attracts people which means dollars. Plus if they do a Live-Stream package like, MotoGP (pay one rate and you can watch the whole year events)....that attract more dollars cuz Bernie never did the "live-stream" market. First though, Liberty has to change as to where the direction of F1 is headed....does it want to be earth friendly or fan friendly....I would choose the latter.

Brawn: Simpler rules "a key objective" for F1 future:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/br...future-868197/

Ross Brawn hopes to make F1 viable for small teams:

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...or-small-teams

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post

The realist in me agrees 100%, it is all about Liberty seeing a boatload of untapped potential for maximising earnings.
    Beyond that there is a certain honeymoon period available where you might get some agreement from teams for some big changes, but I think it will be a small window (2 months or so). I think the biggest change to try for now is a more equitable distribution of money to the teams. After that depends on how serious & ambitious this new management team is on making changes with a 5 or 10 year plan guiding their way.
    Forza Ferrari !

Almost forgot, I want to give a tip of my hat to Bernie! The little '_____' (I'll let everyone insert their own word here) kept the sport going thru some tough times for many years, no simple task. At times I've hated him & not had one good word to speak of him, but much of the time his antics were at the very least entertaining.
    Brings to mind the old adage about being impossible to "herd cats", but he managed to do it for about 40 years.

Bye Bernie, I actually will miss you on some levels.
    And like my dad always told me... "don't spend it all in one place"
    Last edited by abbottcostello; 24th January 2017 at 21:32. Reason: spelling
    Forza Ferrari !

Some of us technophobes (old gits like me) are looking to the future with fear, when we'll only be able to watch F1 on a phone and by paying a massive subscription fee. Sky is bad enough but the rest of it frightens me to death!

Maybe not if they use the moto gp model. Stream it live on the internet for a monthly/yearly subscription. Obviously the price would have to be reasonable, (it is for motogp) but you can watch on your computer wisepie and dump the whole sky package. No need for phone apps ect.
    Like you i once was
    Like me you will be.

Quote Originally Posted by hudson77 View Post
    Maybe not if they use the moto gp model. Stream it live on the internet for a monthly/yearly subscription. Obviously the price would have to be reasonable, (it is for motogp) but you can watch on your computer wisepie and dump the whole sky package. No need for phone apps ect.
    Thanks hudson77, but my point is that I'm not glued to the computer/mobile/tablet 24/7 and an app is something I've yet to discover! Yes, I am ancient and just can't be bothered with all these platforms, I want to watch it on a proper screen in comfort. Sky is a silly price but not so bad when it includes line rental and broadband. I am prepared to try and learn but sadly I have trouble remembering my own name sometimes!!