Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Robert Kubica: Updates on his recovery

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Agree totally with Lauda... senseless accident that could have been avoided.... hopefully the teams and drivers get together and agree to ban this type of activity during the race calendar and testing season....

Tony am at a loss here how can you agree with Lauda as his statement is nonsensical coz we are told more accidents happen in the Home than anywhere else . then is a driver Stupid to risk his/her life when they got kids etc.
    Tony my friend there is NO such thing as an Aviodable accident . Was Kubica accident avoidable who knows since even The great True Rallye Drivers Crash .

On a more lighter and funnyier note Kubica said he drives in rallyes to improve his car skills well if Kimmi came back in F1 god help us all hahaha.

Hopefully the teams and drivers get together and agree that this type of activity does continue during the race calendar and testing season. How many great talents might we close the doors to if they're told they can't live their lives to their fullest away from the F1 paddock? How many people don't get a career in racing because parents think the risk is too high, so take them to football instead of karting at the weekend? The boys are better off being left alone to make their own decisions, without fans hysteria getting in the way. They know the risks. They've grown up with them. Some are worth taking.

+1

I will admit from a business perspective I understand the idea of protecting you investment, but one day were talking about how the modern F1 driver is a corporate robot, then as soon as they start to do things they enjoy, we say they need to live in a plastic bubble...

I'll admit it will be a horrible shame if Robert doesn't make a come back, or if he would have won the WDC this season. But in the grad scheme of things I cant see telling him he cant live his life away from work the way he wants, he's a race driver, not someone on the verge of curing cancer, or bringing about world peace...

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Perhaps what happened to Kubica is a very hard slap on the face to those that have thought about banning testing or reducing it to a very NOT funny level.

Perhaps they should realize (remember?) that F1 is NOT supposed to be a cheap sport and indeed those that have deep pockets are those that have been and should be in this sport.

And yes, perhaps this is the time that they should reconsider at least putting more hours into REAL testing (and not just simulator hours).
    Agree absolutely that more testing is necessary... however if they can't change that, then like I said, i would like to see them end this practice of allowing drivers the ability to compete in other racing events....
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by xpman View Post
    Tony am at a loss here how can you agree with Lauda as his statement is nonsensical coz we are told more accidents happen in the Home than anywhere else . then is a driver Stupid to risk his/her life when they got kids etc.
    Tony my friend there is NO such thing as an Aviodable accident . Was Kubica accident avoidable who knows since even The great True Rallye Drivers Crash .

On a more lighter and funnyier note Kubica said he drives in rallyes to improve his car skills well if Kimmi came back in F1 god help us all hahaha.
    See I disagree with all those that say that the same thing can happen in every day life.... in every day life, you are not driving flat out around tracks that are narrow and in some cases, with no guardrails protecting you from a steep drop, or very close to exposed trees.... not sure the risk level is the same....

There is always a risk that anyone of us can be driving on the road and, God forbid, hit by an oncoming truck, sending us to an early grave.... but that risk is statistically lower than the risk of getting into a serious collision in a rally car....

Having said that, if you are a rally driver first and foremost.... more power to you, I respect the level of risk you are willing to take on in your career.... but if you are a driver of one series moonlighting in another series, well, like I said, you are taking on undue risk.... and for what purpose? an added adrenaline rush? sorry, that's when I start asking myself if people that do this simply haven't fully matured yet....

Kubica brought up the point about concentration.... I can't imagine how the simulator wouldn't help him with that.... I'm sure it's not the same as being in an actual cockpit having to endure G-Forces and what not, but I'm not sure it's that significant of a difference either....
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Could they not start up a side-show series where F1 teams are allowed to run and use the running to test their cars. open to other teams that cannot compete in F1.
    we're number one

Dont agree with Lauda, but i dont think there is any need to insult him. I mean, he has been through that, so he would know more than me about this sort of thing.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Perhaps what happened to Kubica is a very hard slap on the face to those that have thought about banning testing or reducing it to a very NOT funny level.

Perhaps they should realize (remember?) that F1 is NOT supposed to be a cheap sport and indeed those that have deep pockets are those that have been and should be in this sport.

And yes, perhaps this is the time that they should reconsider at least putting more hours into REAL testing (and not just simulator hours).
    Agreed.

F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motor sports. It is a premium sport that only serious teams with proper financial backing should be allowed in it. That's how we can ensure proper competition across the field, rather than having 2-3 top teams really fighting in out, and half of the team are just there for the party food. Trying to make F1 affordable was a big mistake.

Let the teams do all the testing they want. The more prepared they are, the better it is for the sports and the audience, as we gets to watch some serious championship fight.

Well, Renault couldn't forbid Kubica from rallying because they didn't have the upper ground in the negotations of his contract, if IMO they would have prevented their first driver from taking such risks.
    You can explain it however you like, but rallying is one of the most dangerous sports out there, and as excellent drivers as they are, and naturally talented and whatever, F1 drivers are still inexperienced in that environment, but still suffer as much pressure as any other driver to achieve decent times, which probably increases their risks of accidents; just from recent examples, both Kimi and Kubica have had some serious crashes.

So basicly, if the team can't impose those conditions it's up to the driver to decide if he wants to rally or not; dedication to F1 offers greater chances of success, as you avoid dangerous accidents that may ruin your season or career, but some of these guys are racers at heart or speed freaks and for them rallying is the pinnacle of fun while F1 is the pinnacle of their jobs. Money is not an issue because both Kimi and Kubica are already multimillionaires and could live a life of luxury and not spend half of their savings.
    IMO there's no correct answer, just people with different sets of values and priorities, those saying one person or the other is wrong only prove their lack of understanding of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Agreed.

F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motor sports. It is a premium sport that only serious teams with proper financial backing should be allowed in it. That's how we can ensure proper competition across the field, rather than having 2-3 top teams really fighting in out, and half of the team are just there for the party food. Trying to make F1 affordable was a big mistake.

Let the teams do all the testing they want. The more prepared they are, the better it is for the sports and the audience, as we gets to watch some serious championship fight.
    ... yes they should be allowed to test . I agree wholeheartedly !!!!
    "Michael showed that he is the greatest. He stole the show today. And he did that without even winning the race." comments from Willi Weber
    D:\estelle\My Folders\F1 Photos\Avitars\e960c1b2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari_gal View Post
    ... yes they should be allowed to test . I agree wholeheartedly !!!!
    I agree it should definitely result in more testing - satisfies all that way, the drivers, the teams and us the fans.

Good news to hear that Robert is still making recovery

Nice to see that he is improving
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

'Kubica prefers Liuzzi as his replacement'
    It is nice to see that Robert's opinion means something to the team. I would have thought Nick was the strongest contender but as the saying goes "what do I know"

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b8c4K

Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by racingbradley View Post
    'Kubica prefers Liuzzi as his replacement'
    It is nice to see that Robert's opinion means something to the team. I would have thought Nick was the strongest contender but as the saying goes "what do I know"

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b8c4K
    Hmmm.... a source "close to crash.net" says Kubica has been visited in hospital and asked who he would prefer to "drive his car this season".

My first thought was "Why would Renault seek the advice of the driver who is being replaced?". What does Robert know about the driving styles and abilities of the three main candidates that nobody else in Renault does?

My second thought was "Of course Robert Kubica would prefer Liuzzi to drive his car - Heidfeld might actually do quite well in Robert's absence, which probably wouldn't be quite as good for Robert would it?"

My third thought was "is it likely that there is any grain of truth to this story - given the supposed source and lineage of information?"

... then I stopped thinking about it!

"Luna faccia schiaffo testa"

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
    ... then I stopped thinking about it!
    Glad you did
    Seriously though it's difficult to understand the politics of F1 from who is applying the pressure to secure a better deal to someone who is clearly a wind up merchant.
    Cela vie.
    I guess we will all find out this weekend or at the last test in Bahrain.

Forza Jules

Lotus Renault have just announced that Heidfeld has got the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Iīm happy for Nick, I think he deserves this chance!
    He will be very happy, but for sure itīs not a nice feeling for him to know he got the seat only due to Roberts accident.
    Stehaufmännchen Felipe - Never give up!

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Great news. I am glad it's sorted. I always felt Nick was an underestimated driver and always wanted to see him in a top team.
    Now it's up to him to show us what's he made of. I have every confidence he will.

Forza Jules

How many chances does Nick need?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Right on.

Poor Nick, always needs a chance...

I don't understand all this "Nick needs a chance" thing. I don't think he's gonna do anything in Renault this year either.. and of course it'll be the car's fault, and "oh I wish Nick will get a chance..." yada yada..
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by Anni View Post
    Iīm happy for Nick, I think he deserves this chance!
    He will be very happy, but for sure itīs not a nice feeling for him to know he got the seat only due to Roberts accident.
    Agreed. Glad for him too. I've always liked him since his days in Sauber.

Hopefully he'll made the best out of what looks like will be a full season for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    1 more I guess....

Right on.

I don't understand all this "Nick needs a chance" thing. I don't think he's gonna do anything in Renault this year either.. and of course it'll be the car's fault, and "oh I wish Nick will get a chance..." yada yada..
    ... even though that's what they would say about Kubica if he been in the Reno and hadn't done anything again this year.

I wanted Senna in that seat. He was the guy in line for the ride. What lack of experience? Lack of a $$ sponsor is more like it. Piquet Jr. had no more experience, but his old man had the push.

Quote Originally Posted by brembo man View Post
    I wanted Senna in that seat. He was the guy in line for the ride. What lack of experience? Lack of a $$ sponsor is more like it. Piquet Jr. had no more experience, but his old man had the push.
    Naturally, all teams want at least one driver who is experienced in driving a competitive car in a fight for the WDC. Do you think Heidfeld is bringing wad loads of cash with him or something??

Renault already have one driver who is there not for his driving skills but for his commercial links. If one were being cynical you could argue that the only reason that Lotus Renault GP involved Senna in the first place was the mileage they can get from the mere association of the words "Lotus" & "Senna" in their new marketing venture. It would explain why they have so many reserve drivers at least.

I feel for Senna but there is no way that they are going to entrust any chance of a shot at the WDC to a reserve driver with minimal experience when they have other options. I think you are correct however that Senna doesn't seem to have the same push that Piquet did. In this case however I don't think it would have made any difference if he had.
    Last edited by Tifosi; 17th February 2011 at 09:01.

Right on.
    I wonder who you are comparing Nick to probably someone in one of the top teams!
    To date the best F1 car that Nick has driven is either Sauber or Williams---clearly mid-field I would say.
    I think you will find that while they were both at Sauber Nick beat his more illustrious team mate 3 times in the four years they raced together and was pretty close in 2008 finishing 6th to Robert's 4th.
    I think the Reno is a better car that either of those. (this year's could be better still ) so maybe this is Nick's time to show what he is made of.
    Let's not beat the guy up just because he is quiet and maybe isn't as self-centred as most F1 drivers.
    Good luck Nick just don't beat the red cars. That's an order.

Forza Jules

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89524

Alonso: Drivers can't cut out risk

By Jonathan Noble
    Thursday, February 17th 2011, 11:34 GMT

Fernando Alonso thinks it is impossible for Formula 1 drivers to cut out risk away from the race track - as he expressed relief that friend Robert Kubica was recovering well from his recent rally crash.

The Spaniard was the first driver to visit Kubica in hospital following the accident the Pole had on the Ronde di Andora rally earlier this month.

And, after admitting that he feared the worst in the immediate aftermath of the crash, Alonso says that drivers always face dangers away from the track.

"We need to have something to get some adrenalin out of our system and rallying is good training from an F1 driver's point of view," Alonso told CNN. "I train on a bicycle ever day, and a couple of weeks ago a friend and myself were out riding and a truck cut in front us.

"A few metres nearer and we would have crashed into it. You cannot cut out risk."

Speaking about his first reaction to Kubica's crash, Alonso said: "It was not so clear he was going to survive. I tried to drive to the hospital to find out exactly what his injuries were.

"Now he is recovering well and we hope to see him back very soon in F1."

There's a video of that interview:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video...kubica.sot.cnn

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    Thanks for this - I think Alonso has a point - I know that they become the property pretty much of the F1 team but imagine what it would be like to stay at home 24 hours a day just to keep safe for the next season. I guess this debate will run and run but in all the years I have followed F1 I have not experienced this level of injury so is it just one of those freak accidents.

I think Nick deserves another go as someone said early maybe one more chance is the chance he needs