Page 1 of 41 12345678910111213141526 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 F1 news/rumours

2019 F1 news/rumours

CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post

Happy New Year Rob.....and all the tifosi who are regulars on this forum.

Going into the 2019 campaign, there are several drivers who will have to deal with a lot pressure when they get in the car.

Here at PlanetF1, we have drawn up a list of the five drivers who are under the most pressure going into the New Year.

Daniil Kvyat – Toro Rosso

The Russian returns in 2019. After just over a year off the grid, Daniil Kvyat will line up for Toro Rosso next year.

It will be his third stint with the team where he started his F1 career, back in 2014. After a year with the junior team, he moved up to the Red Bull team.

During his time with the Bulls he scored two podiums, but after a catalogue of errors, he was demoted back to the junior team.

Daniil Kvyat has hit Sebastian Vettel TWICE.#RussianGP #F1 #Seb5 pic.twitter.com/iKUBPeVjjj

— Sebastian Vettel #5 (@sebvettelnews) May 1, 2016

Kvyat then spent another 18 months with Toro Rosso, before leaving the team after the 2017 US Grand Prix.

A year as development driver for the Scuderia, and the ‘Torpedo’ is back in business with Toro Rosso.

Robert Kubica – Williams

Another returnee to the Formula 1 grid in 2019 is Polish driver Robert Kubica.

However, unlike his Russian counterpart, Kubica last raced in F1 in 2010. Yes, 2010… Eight years ago.

The Pole has a race victory to his name, winning the 2008 Canadian GP, in what was BMW Sauber’s only victory in F1 as well.

However, he suffered severe damage to his right arm in a rally crash in 2011, which actually scuppered his chances of signing for Ferrari the year after.

He admitted this week that even he would have doubts about his return to the grid, but Williams have given him that shot, and he needs to prove his worth.

Lance Stroll – Racing Point

Thanks to Daddy’s money, Lance Stroll will have a chance to prove himself in the midfield battle once more, with the new Racing Point F1 team.

The Canadian scored just six points in 2018 with Williams, as the Grove outfit struggled to get anything going with their FW41.

However, after his father led the consortium who bought out the Force India team in the summer, Stroll moves into the team.

He replaces Esteban Ocon, who has been tipped to win Championships, and will now serve as Mercedes reserve driver.

Stroll will have to show he can fight with team-mate Sergio Perez, but if not, Daddy owns it so…

Sebastian Vettel – Ferrari

It is not often that you would see a four-time World Champion on a list like this, but Sebastian Vettel is under pressure in 2019.

He claimed those four consecutive titles between 2010 and 2013 with Red Bull, but has gone without a title in his four seasons with the Scuderia.

He has been in the title fight over the last two seasons, but a series of mistakes saw him fall away in 2018.

Now, he comes under pressure from the young Monegasque starlet, Charles Leclerc, who impressed in his first season in F1.

Can Vettel beat Leclerc? And if so, will he challenge Lewis Hamilton for the Drivers’ Championship?

Valtteri Bottas – Mercedes

It is no surprise as to who is the most under pressure going into the 2019 season, as Valtteri Bottas already knows he will lose his seat if he doesn’t perform.

Esteban Ocon is waiting in the wings as Mercedes reserve driver, and Bottas failed to win a race in 2018.

The Finn could have won in Azerbaijan had it not been for a puncture.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/five-d...ssure-in-2019/
    It's not how start but how you finish.

There is a rumour that Germany will have a F1 world championship in 2019, and it won't be the WCC.

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    There is a rumour that Germany will have a F1 world championship in 2019, and it won't be the WCC.
    i heard a different rumor, that it may be France that will have a F1 WDC and Seb vettel will contribute to the WCC
    Soooooooo glad 2022 is over, a season that started so well but massive decline after TD39....Hopefully 2023 will bring us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    I heard a different rumor. Mercedes and RB will fight for the title and Ferrari will barely touch podiums. Vettel will leave and Arribavene will be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    i heard a different rumor, that it may be France that will have a F1 WDC and Seb vettel will contribute to the WCC
    France?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    France?
    meant to say Monegasque.....
    Soooooooo glad 2022 is over, a season that started so well but massive decline after TD39....Hopefully 2023 will bring us tifosi something to smile about.

meant to say Monegasque.....

Not starting a rumor but if Honda red bull challeng for podiums right at the start of the season straight away I would say the fia gave them info on merc and ferrari engines. Because I believe honda are still 2 seasons behind on hp and merc are still sandbagging there ultimate pace and were told to keep it interesting. The wheels were just them adding to there package and just put them out of reach for all teams on the grid as all teams will develop that this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom Hearts View Post
    I heard a different rumor. Mercedes and RB will fight for the title and Ferrari will barely touch podiums. Vettel will leave and Arribavene will be replaced.
    RBR will, not be winning races in the first half of the season, in my opinion. Honda engine and losing some of the aero advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by sxviper698 View Post
    Not starting a rumor but if Honda red bull challeng for podiums right at the start of the season straight away I would say the fia gave them info on merc and ferrari engines. Because I believe honda are still 2 seasons behind on hp and merc are still sandbagging there ultimate pace and were told to keep it interesting. The wheels were just them adding to there package and just put them out of reach for all teams on the grid as all teams will develop that this season.
    I don't think the FIA gave Honda any help. In fact, they've had zero help when they came in 2015. They've gone thru 65 + PU's during the Mclaren years....all sent back to Japan for teardowns. That's not including ones that they bench test in Japan. Then with Toro Rosso(2018) they went thru 8....some of which did'nt need relacement but did anyways.....again sent back to Japan for teardowns....all to get their Spec PU's progressing for RedBull. They have burned 10's of millions of USD's with nothing to show for. 2019 up to 2020 is a make or break for RedBull.

Didn't Mercedes offered some help to Honda?

Don't know if they really did it but I've red something in the past like that.

Could just be the usual toto
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

If Honda proves o k with less DNFs, Merc and Ferrari will have a tough time with R Bull. Even more so than 2018. I used to believe it was 80% the car the rest driver. Last season proved that wrong. Ferrari needed more than the 20% driver to get the best out of their great car. Or did the driver do less than 20% ? R Bull with all their 2018 success goes and change engines? Are they that confident their driver is that great to put them back to where they were or even closer to WDC, WCC ?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post
    Didn't Mercedes offered some help to Honda?

Don't know if they really did it but I've red something in the past like that.

Could just be the usual toto

No, you're correct BUT nothing ever fell into fruition. Mercedes were to provide consultarary services. This was back in 2017 while with Mclaren. Nothing ever came out of it.

Just a reiteration of what some of us have been talking about at the end of the 2018 season; yes, Vettel holds most of the responsibility(I'd say 70%) but the rest is management and the pit wall.

"Ferrari should've done more to ease pressure on Vettel when his 2018 F1 title bid derailed, reckons one of the team's former test drivers - who feels Arrivabene is not 'sympathetic' enough to be a good team boss."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...sure-on-vettel

Burti thinks Vettel's mistake in Germany was a "really tiny mistake" ?

CFD data. Images(pic 1) looks to be the bottom of the car due to the wooden plank.

This is how the flow around the car will change with the new 2019 regulations of the Front Wing. The flow around the front wheel will be dirtier and will influence the rear part of the vehicle.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dvr6S3mX4AUPRvc.jpg

front view. Y250 vortex looks less pronounced in 2019 vs 2018.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dvr6S3kXcAAn-Ny.jpg

rear view. Don't know how far back this is. Rear diffuser looks minimal in 2019 vs. 2018. IMO, this just looks like a repeat of what to expect with the outwash from the lead car.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dvr6S3zWwAIBGHS.jpg

[AutoBild] Honda hits a snag with its engine development for 2019 already. It has terminated its partnership with AVL(simulation and testing company). Apparently there is a disagreement with AVL and Honda engineers. Ferrari also uses AVL. This has and will prevent Honda from running its PU at full capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    [AutoBild] Honda hits a snag with its engine development for 2019 already. It has terminated its partnership with AVL(simulation and testing company). Apparently there is a disagreement with AVL and Honda engineers. Ferrari also uses AVL. This has and will prevent Honda from running its PU at full capacity.
    Strange, I presume AVL know their stuff if Ferrari is using them. Don’t get the full capacity bit though

Quote Originally Posted by evo_spook View Post
    Strange, I presume AVL know their stuff if Ferrari is using them. Don’t get the full capacity bit though
    AVL is highly regarded for running past and current hybrid engines as well as consultary work for a number of motorsports.

Accoding to AutoBild, Honda is having vibration issues hence not running the 2019 PU at full capacity.

Is it March yet?

Disappointed Since 2010

AVL is highly regarded for running past and current hybrid engines as well as consultary work for a number of motorsports.

Accoding to AutoBild, Honda is having vibration issues hence not running the 2019 PU at full capacity.
    didn't Mclaren have the same issue with the Honda engine, when Brundle and Krapitz were laughing and joking couple of years ago when htey were saying that the Mclaren was coming down vibrating away down teh pit straight due to teh HONDA engine issue....

I heard Ferrari stopped working with AVL some years ago, end of 2017 I think.

didn't Mclaren have the same issue with the Honda engine, when Brundle and Krapitz were laughing and joking couple of years ago when htey were saying that the Mclaren was coming down vibrating away down teh pit straight due to teh HONDA engine issue....
    yep along with leaking oil. This was like 2015 and 2016 with Mclarens size zero concept. Mclaren was'nt changing so Honda had to adapt to Mclaren's mounting points. 2015 was also Honda's first year and 2016 was a repeat AND under the token system.

Fast forward to 2018 with Toro and nothing of vibration or leaking. Maybe adapting to the RedBull chassis and mounting points me thinks. They've got a little over 30 days to work the bugs out.

Quote Originally Posted by jragona View Post
    I heard Ferrari stopped working with AVL some years ago, end of 2017 I think.
    yes, they terminated the relationship. I've read 2015??? and 2017??? [shoulder shrug] maybe the statement should have read "Ferrari also used (past tense) AVL."

Forget about others, I can't find a single piece of news on Ferrari's 2019 challenger. Last year, there were lot of "sources" with info about Ferrari's 2018 car. Where are all those sources now? Any thing about optimism with Ferrari for something they might have gained with 2019 car? Or we will have to wait till launch?

Quote Originally Posted by chinmay View Post
    Forget about others, I can't find a single piece of news on Ferrari's 2019 challenger. Last year, there were lot of "sources" with info about Ferrari's 2018 car. Where are all those sources now? Any thing about optimism with Ferrari for something they might have gained with 2019 car? Or we will have to wait till launch?
    You or we will not have to wait till launch date. I posted this on Dec. 30th in the "2018 F1 news" thread. So far:

Motorsport Italy: The 2019 Ferrari car might have a longer wheelbase due to the larger fuel tank (5kg more fuel is allowed), Mercedes will try to work on the rear end to keep the same wheelbase length as in 2018 despite the larger fuel tank.

"Ferrari project leader Cardile and chief aerodynamicist Sanchez have pushed for the 2019 car to have a slightly longer transmission, moving the engine away from the rear wheels and have an even more extreme rear end."

"The new radiators are arranged in a different way, thus improving the aerodynamic efficiency of the car.
    In short, the 5kg more fuel addition could have affected the 2019 Ferrari car more than you think."

Ferrari 2019: passo più lungo non solo per i 5 kg di benzina in più

Mercedes: After Toto Wolff's alarm, found a dozen more horses on the engine.

The 2019 power unit is the result of a new project and at the beginning of the development work on the new engine the results were not too exciting. Now it seems that the engineers led by Andy Cowell have found a dozen more horses on the 6-cylinder world champion.

Mercedes: dopo l'allarme di Toto Wolff, trovata una dozzina di cavalli in più sul motore

Mercedes: After Toto Wolff's alarm, found a dozen more horses on the engine.

The 2019 power unit is the result of a new project and at the beginning of the development work on the new engine the results were not too exciting. Now it seems that the engineers led by Andy Cowell have found a dozen more horses on the 6-cylinder world champion.

Mercedes: dopo l'allarme di Toto Wolff, trovata una dozzina di cavalli in più sul motore
    Bit boring nowadays when 12bhp is regarded as a lot. Presume everyone’s hitting the same development limit.

Quote Originally Posted by evo_spook View Post
    Bit boring nowadays when 12bhp is regarded as a lot. Presume everyone’s hitting the same development limit.
    Everyone??? I don't think so. Ferrari for sure but I doubt Renault and Honda are at the same level as Ferrari or MB in terms of hp. Both Renault and Honda are still lagging by 35 to 40hp.

An extra 40 hp.has to help big time in quali. for that 1st place spot on the grid. Then it's up to the driver. I read there's a driver that did 5 wins, never from pole! I no longer believe it's 80% 20% car to driver with regards to who's on first. Seb had the car. R Bull had the driver. Merc had both together.