Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: China: Free Practice and Qualifying

Christian Horner said Ferrari now benchmark in F1 ... yesterday.

Its the first time we have two drivers under one tenth. At least the driver sector is completed. It seems that our car is closer to RB and away from MB this race!! I think we have e very sensitive and track limited. We dare too mach with this design

There's always next year
    Slowly losing interest in F1 now, same **** different weekend
    Interviewer: “The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?”
    Kimi: “It protects my head.”

Quote Originally Posted by chinmay View Post
    Verstappen only 2 tenths behind Ferrari suggests that either Ferrari's setup was completely out of the window or aero is as bad as 2016. Something is wrong which Ferrari is yet to understand.
    and perhaps Honda have increased their engine's power, that could be a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    and perhaps Honda have increased their engine's power, that could be a factor.
    ferrari running engine in conservative mode might be.... because I don’t see ferrari loosing that much power in a week.l or so. From Bahrain to China.

Verstappen only 2 tenths behind Ferrari suggests that either Ferrari's setup was completely out of the window or aero is as bad as 2016. Something is wrong which Ferrari is yet to understand.
    It could also suggest Max can get more out of the car then Vettel. We saw it last year as well, Max put pressure on Vettel and he cracked. Vettel is a very quick driver, but I get the feeling he needs a perfect car for him in order to be unbeatable. Hamilton, Max and Alonso are drivers who can adapt to drive a car which is not perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Formula 1 fan View Post
    It could also suggest Max can get more out of the car then Vettel. We saw it last year as well, Max put pressure on Vettel and he cracked. Vettel is a very quick driver, but I get the feeling he needs a perfect car for him in order to be unbeatable. Hamilton, Max and Alonso are drivers who can adapt to drive a car which is not perfect.
    You don't have to try and troll Seb with every post.
    Forza Ferrari

I wasn't very happy with how qualifying went but you are here with some comedy. Thanks for the laugh!

If max can get everything out of the car, then there was a chance to get pole for him in Mexico & Monaco etc...
    But his team-mate did it.

Every car has its own specifications same way drivers have their own styles to adapt.
    Ham, Alonso, vet are proven WDC....everyone are unique in setting up their car.

any word from Binotto yet? i cant find anything..

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    You don't have to try and troll Seb with every post.
    Not trolling Vettel, he is not the Vettel he was before his Ferrari switch. I did say he is very quick.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    If max can get everything out of the car, then there was a chance to get pole for him in Mexico & Monaco etc...
    But his team-mate did it.

Every car has its own specifications same way drivers have their own styles to adapt.
    Ham, Alonso, vet are proven WDC....everyone are unique in setting up their car.
    True, Max screwed up Monaco 2016 and 2018, but in Mexico and Singapore 2018 engine problems cost him the pole.
    Not saying Vettel is bad, far from it. But since 2017 I get the feeling he lost all his mojo or something. The amount of mistakes in arguably the best car is unbelievable.
    I think the Pre 2014 Vettel was better, when he had a car perfect to his driving style.

I wasn't very happy with how qualifying went but you are here with some comedy. Thanks for the laugh!
    Good to see you laugh, but why don't you try and explain what was wrong with what I said about Vettel in my last couple of comments? I have seen you make excuses for Vettel and have ignored the mistakes he made that cost him the title last 2 years.

I am in a very dark place, the only hope I carry is that Leclerc turns out to be the next Senna, and even if that turns out to be true, beating the Mercs will probably be impossible. Toto will be going on about how Ferrari are the clear top dogs and the team to beat as usual. Like last year when he proclaimed the title race as a 3 team battle...
    "Formula 1 is not a sport anymore” - Fernando Alonso

We are missing that 1% in chassis dept that we just cannot claw back. Good thing is, our engine is probably benchmark, and our aero is top (mid-high speed corners equal to Merc and faster then RB, probably less drag), but front end...mechanically, not good enough.

Ideal lap time

Mercedes 1:31.177

Ferrari 1:31.504

Ferrari 0. 8s slower than last year. Losing so much time in slow corners. Too much understeer.

Quote Originally Posted by Noquarter View Post
    Ferrari 0. 8s slower than last year. Losing so much time in slow corners. Too much understeer.
    I agree, or could also the factor be that we overheat the tyres quicker than Mercedes when we reach the end of S3. In S1 we are very quick out of that long-never ending corner, we look to be strong also in S2 in medium-high speed corners. We are really in some way struggling in very low-speed corners and traction zones. Our top speed was 327 km/h at the end of the straights, with Mercedes reaching 321 km/h so the power is there. Could be that our low-drag philosophy could be very good for the tracks with many straights like in 2018, and struggling more in the traditional circuits with many slow speed corners, only speculation of course. Maybe we setup the car more for the race, its a front-limited track, and understeer is usually good for the race, as you slide much less with the car, and preventing the tyres with overheating too much.

We will see.

Yes that's true formula one is just not straits unfortunately for Ferrari there are corners that's Ferraris archillies heel.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyRizza View Post
    There's always next year
    Slowly losing interest in F1 now, same **** different weekend

You just said it! Exactly! This is becoming, it is BORING!!!

Has to be setup issue, engineers are struggling to replicate Barcelona pace. By the time they fully understand the car, it will be too late.

How are we on race pace? Yesterday we could drive quite some time on the red tires. If we can keep close to the Mercs those straights might help us.

Quote Originally Posted by Vettel165 View Post
    I agree, or could also the factor be that we overheat the tyres quicker than Mercedes when we reach the end of S3. In S1 we are very quick out of that long-never ending corner, we look to be strong also in S2 in medium-high speed corners. We are really in some way struggling in very low-speed corners and traction zones. Our top speed was 327 km/h at the end of the straights, with Mercedes reaching 321 km/h so the power is there. Could be that our low-drag philosophy could be very good for the tracks with many straights like in 2018, and struggling more in the traditional circuits with many slow speed corners, only speculation of course. Maybe we setup the car more for the race, its a front-limited track, and understeer is usually good for the race, as you slide much less with the car, and preventing the tyres with overheating too much.
    Understeer didn't turn out to be good in Melbourne. A car struggling in qualifying will more often than not struggle on race day as well.

I had to catch a rerun of qualifying as I don't get up early for this thing anymore. Ferrari was much more competitive here last year than this year. That's both good and bad. The good should be that if they are not as competitve here as last year they should be more competitive at circuits they were weaker at last year. The bad obviously being that the points gap might increase for the third race in a row. The one thing that has been consistent so far is that as soon as there are some bumbs at a circuit Ferrari struggles. There are some bumpy braking zones here in Shanghai and that banked right-hander in S3 were I think Ferrari are losing time. Ferrari will be much more competitive at smoother circuits. It's all down to the bumps and the stiff suspension of the SF90. But because of the smooth and long straights and corner exits we're not that far off.

Bottas and Seb were very good here last year until race control shafted both of them with that SC error. Bottas looks good again and Seb actually looks much more focused compared to the end of last year and the start of this year. Maybe he took a good look at himself and what he's done since Spa. Lewis will hang in there and Charles will have these up and downs and that's just normal. Since all up front are starting on the same tyre there will not be much room for strategy gambles. Ferrari really needs to finish at least 3rd and 4th tomorrow, at least.

As for the cars. The fastest time in FP has been 0.1-0.2 quicker this year compared to last year. But they didn't beat the pole time from last year. Seb did a 1:31.095 last year in Q3 and Bottas did a 1:31.547 today. Pirelli also brought the same compounds this year as last year (first time this season). Last year they brought the mediums, softs and ultras and this year the C2, C3 and C4. Also the tyres are somewhat softer this year through the whole range so the cars are a little bit slower at a heavy aero circuit (which Australia and Bahrain aren't). In normal weather conditions I guess that will the story this season.

Ferrari have engine concerns. Explains why redbull is so close.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Has to be setup issue, engineers are struggling to replicate Barcelona pace. By the time they fully understand the car, it will be too late.
    Has to be? So it is impossible that Vettel is just underperforming or made a mistake? In Bahrain Ferrari was dominant and it was Leclerc who dominated Vettel, it could just be Vettel not getting the maximum out of the car.

Has to be? So it is impossible that Vettel is just underperforming or made a mistake? In Bahrain Ferrari was dominant and it was Leclerc who dominated Vettel, it could just be Vettel not getting the maximum out of the car.
    Boring now, give it a rest.

Maybe Lewis is not getting the most from his car either, could say that about every driver.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by WRX202 View Post
    Ferrari have engine concerns. Explains why redbull is so close.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Vettel spoke about why they missed the pole on the radio, I thought I heard him saying it was the traffic jam which cost RBR and Haas.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Boring now, give it a rest.

Maybe Lewis is not getting the most from his car either, could say that about every driver.
    Boring now? Am I not allowed to give my opinion on why Ferrari is not on pole? Chinmay claims it has to be the car, I suggest it could be possible Vettel just couldn't get everything out of the car. And on top of that, it was almost a traffic jam, that cost a lot as well.

You are absolutely right. Hamilton didn't get everything out of the car and Bottas did better. Hamilton is not perfect, nobody is. But since 2017 Max and Hamilton are the top 2 drivers and Vettel is faling behind.

Not sure what Barcelona pace people are talking about? Nobody has any idea what pace teams had relatively to each other