Thread: 2018 FIA F1 changes and rules

2018 FIA F1 changes and rules

F1 2018 Monkey seat wings not quite banned but cannot be in the yellow box above the exhausts

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKRHQx1XUAAirai.jpg

F1 2018 halo fairing can only extend 20mm from structure. So We are talking blending/streamlining rather than a new aero device

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKRKMVIWAAAbX38.jpg

F1 2018 shark fin ban still seems to be in the new rules

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKRLVxNXkAAd2rb.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKRLWXiXoAAAmCX.jpg

F1 2018 the battery, ERS control electronics & cabling need to be under the fuel tank. Currently only RBR keep the CEs in the sidepod

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKRLIDSWAAEyLl7.jpg

This will be interesting with regards to Mercedes.
    F1 oil burning severely restricted by new rules.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKRJqqzXkAApETp.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKRJq3nXkAMMMlA.jpg

FerrariSteve Guest
    Quite frankly the only thing I care about next year is the Halo, if the cars have it fitted in FP1, I'll simply turn off and not waste my time.

wont be surprised to see everything ferrari was good at one point this year ruled out or banned, making it boring Mercs vs RB again next year
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    wont be surprised to see everything ferrari was good at one point this year ruled out or banned, making it boring Mercs vs RB again next year
    Oh no, they need to completely rework the entire aero in order to hurt Ferrari. We have a title contending chassis and title contending PU. Having said that, i think we are going to be competitive till the end of 2020 for sure. With the old aero rules 2014-2016, we only had a good PU but not chassis.

Fia new engine rules for 2018 max of 3 engine turbocharger and MGU-H and a Max of 2 control electronics MGU-K and energy stores roll on the grid penaltys

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Fia new engine rules for 2018 max of 3 engine turbocharger and MGU-H and a Max of 2 control electronics MGU-K and energy stores roll on the grid penaltys
    Well that sucks. It won't hurt us specifically because it's the same for everyone, but it will sure hurt the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Well that sucks. It won't hurt us specifically because it's the same for everyone, but it will sure hurt the sport.

Im sure Brawn and Todt said they are looking at other ways to punish rather than grid penalties.
    Forza Ferrari

http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/20...ne-rights-2018

ESPN getting F1 back in the US next season.

Notably there appears to be no pre-race show like NBC has been doing as the broadcasts look like they are coming on air 5 mins before the cars leave the grid for the formation lap.

THAT SUCKS.CANT REMEMBER IF THAT WAS THE CASE BACK IN THE LATE 90S WHEN ESPN TELEVIZED THE GPS.BOB VARSHA WAS THE COMENTATOR.FORGET WHO SAT BESIDE HIM

Quote Originally Posted by ScuderiaBuckeye View Post
    http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/20...ne-rights-2018

ESPN getting F1 back in the US next season.

Notably there appears to be no pre-race show like NBC has been doing as the broadcasts look like they are coming on air 5 mins before the cars leave the grid for the formation lap.
    All FP's showing.....check

Maybe they keep Matchett, Hobbs, and Diffey ( or Varsha)....check

Will they show it live?.......check

Now if they can keep all their political non-sense out of the sport.......then check.

Let's see how ESPN goes cuz some of us here in the states are tired of NBCSN

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    They should use 5-6 of everything on the first race,of the year,and get the all the penalties at once,and carry on trough the season.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    All FP's showing.....check

Maybe they keep Matchett, Hobbs, and Diffey ( or Varsha)....check

Will they show it live?.......check

Now if they can keep all their political non-sense out of the sport.......then check.

Let's see how ESPN goes cuz some of us here in the states are tired of NBCSN
    What is the deal w/ NBCSN?

Personally I've never noticed anything terribly wrong w/ their coverage and if I ever get tired of listening to the announcers there is that fabulous mute button.

As far as politics that is in EVERYTHING in the US right now and quite disgusting. Hamilton says he might even take a knee during the anthem at COTA...

As far as politics that is in EVERYTHING in the US right now and quite disgusting. Hamilton says he might even take a knee during the anthem at COTA...

...... there goes the neighborhood!

UPDATE for US fans - @espn will not air additional pre and post race coverage beyond the @F1 World Feed:

https://f1broadcasting.co/2017/10/04...-centre-stage/

UPDATE for US fans - @espn will not air additional pre and post race coverage beyond the @F1 World Feed:

https://f1broadcasting.co/2017/10/04...-centre-stage/
    This doesn't sound like a step forward for TV coverage of F1 in the US.

Not exactly to my liking, I enjoy the pre-race & post-race shows as much as the race itself!
    Guess it is time to look into the whole OTT (Over The Top Network/Content) to see if that content is a viable substitute. If not I'll have to look into how to trick SkySports website into thinking I'm in the UK, I'm sure that's doable (just can't remember what it's called).

Ugh, I knew this Liberty Media thing was going to be a problem sooner or later for how/where we North America viewers watch F1.
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Quote Originally Posted by abbottcostello View Post
    Not exactly to my liking, I enjoy the pre-race & post-race shows as much as the race itself!
    Guess it is time to look into the whole OTT (Over The Top Network/Content) to see if that content is a viable substitute. If not I'll have to look into how to trick SkySports website into thinking I'm in the UK, I'm sure that's doable (just can't remember what it's called).

Ugh, I knew this Liberty Media thing was going to be a problem sooner or later for how/where we North America viewers watch F1.
    Here in India too starsports channel doesn't cover pre n post race shows. For example If race starts at 5.30 pm IST (which is normal race start time for most of GP's apart from few) they live tune to that converge at 5.25 PM.

Couple of years ago like around 2007-2015 think so...it showed live coverage (drivers parade, grid walk, drivers talk). From past 2yrs these channels are not showing that coverage.

Concur. Let's see how this Liberty thing goes with ESPN.

I always switch to UNIMAS during the GP....they are commercial free.

Concur. Let's see how this Liberty thing goes with ESPN.

I always switch to UNIMAS during the GP....they are commercial free.
    Yeah, ever since you mentioned that, I've been using UNIMAS when NBC goes to break & sometimes just leaving it there for longer. Even though I understand little Spanish, the excitement in their commentary is good enough for me!
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Yeah, ever since you mentioned that, I've been using UNIMAS when NBC goes to break & sometimes just leaving it there for longer. Even though I understand little Spanish, the excitement in their commentary is good enough for me!
    cool. Sometimes those Mexican commentators mess up on the commentary only to come back and correct themselves. The woman knows more than the guys. She let's them talk and then chimes in with the correction. It's comical. I'm like, " you go girl."

Note: she's probably on her laptop watching the race and has several windows open as she gets the live feed from various sources and in English (she is probably bilingual) or historical nature.....smart if you ask me.

cool. Sometimes those Mexican commentators enjoy Decaduro a lot and mess up on the commentary only to come back and correct themselves. The woman knows more than the guys. She let's them talk and then chimes in with the correction. It's comical. I'm like, " you go girl."

Note: she's probably on her laptop watching the race and has several windows open as she gets the live feed from various sources and in English (she is probably bilingual) or historical nature.....smart if you ask me.
    Same here, I love the pre and post race stuff. You're in a pickle my friend.
    Last edited by Kullman; 28th October 2021 at 13:16.

What is the deal w/ NBCSN?
    I finally stopped laughing enough to type! You made my day !

Oh well, you can always find illegal HD streams from Sky on Reddit.

Maybe Merc will encourage him to do that as well.