Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: BREAKING NEWS: World champion Nico Rosberg retires from Formula One

For us fans, the best scenario is Alonso. That would be one hellish combination. However, the question is, will he like to race against Lewis in the same car? He has very bad memories from 2008. You say Seb, but would Seb be willing to race against Lewis as well? We shall see, maybe Mercedes will go with a simple solution and hire Wehrlein as a second driver and a temporary solution. Nevertheless, this may cause а real grid shuffle.

Big congratulations to Nico. This is a move from a grow, mature man. The contrast is the spoiled Lewis who does not what to do next, but being more "hunger and ready for another exciting challenge". I am savoir a respectable champion in Nico. With this I can see Lewis never leaving the kindergarten, where he own all the rattles: there are men and children. Lewis will never grow up, this is why, in my opinion his career is bland and uninteresting. Nico's lesson goes beyond sport, he is a man happy with himself. Lewis will need a lot of therapy sessions to understand something as simple as life and it nature cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by tezca View Post
    Big congratulations to Nico. This is a move from a grow, mature man. The contrast is the spoiled Lewis who does not what to do next, but being more "hunger and ready for another exciting challenge".
    So yo are bashing Lewis because he still feels competitive and wants more titles? That's ridiculous.

Nothing but respect for Nico!

Great champ and he quit while on top, not many given though.

Have a good life Nico and enjoy life with your family.
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    Had Massa not quit he would have made a decent #2.
    I thought that too, but my money is on Werhlein. I don't blame ROS, he achieved what he set out to do, has a family and Merc won't be so dominant next year as RB will walk away with it, unless of course Ferrari get it right from the off! Any HAM to Ferrari discussion will severely question my tifoso status, however.

Best part is Lewis won't have a chance to wrest the title from Nico next season!

Lewis' statement on Nico retiring...

"This is the first time he's won [in their rivalry since karting] in 18 years, hence why it was not a surprise that he decided to stop"

What a team mate, multiple WDC's & still classless. Yup Lew, it's really all about you.
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Mercedes have Hamilton, they just need a 2nd driver now to ensure Hamilton wins if competition is stronger from other teams! A repeat of McLaren 2007 would be stupid.

I doubt Hamilton would accept Alonso, if Alonso beats him his reputation is GONE!
    "Formula 1 is not a sport anymore” - Fernando Alonso

Surprised no one has mentioned Kimi in the running, from mercs point of view he must have a lot to offer. I hope they don't just go the easy route & plug in Pascal.
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

I have to say, this is the ULTIMATE MIC DROP!

I think Kimi would like the Mercedes car a lot but they must be looking for a driver who'll stay for a some years.

Had Massa not quit he would have made a decent #2.
    I think Kimi would like the Mercedes car a lot but they must be looking for a driver who'll stay for a some years.
    So Massa at the end of his career could be a no2 but not Kimi?
    Forza Ferrari

Alonso's contract has clauses that state that he can go whenever he wants if the car is not fighting for the WDC.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    So Massa at the end of his career could be a no2 but not Kimi?
    And I think Kimi has more racing left in him than most credit him with, I'd like to see him in that car simply to keep Lewis on his toes.
    Forza Ferrari !

Alonso should be on the phone to Mercedes right now. I'll be surprised if a move isn't being discussed. Lewis wouldn't get a say after his disobedience in Abu Dhabi. That'd be an amazing match up and it would be great to see Alonso back at the top...and beating Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Alonso should be on the phone to Mercedes right now. I'll be surprised if a move isn't being discussed. Lewis wouldn't get a say after his disobedience in Abu Dhabi. That'd be an amazing match up and it would be great to see Alonso back at the top...and beating Lewis.
    If Alonso comes to Mercedes, maybe Hamilton will bail out and go back to McLaren :D

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    If Alonso comes to Mercedes, maybe Hamilton will bail out and go back to McLaren :D
    that would work for ME also...see Luise struggling in a Mclaren....lol

Good for Nico. Big respect. He has done what he wanted to do. F1 WDC. Wish him all the best in what ever he does or gones on to.

Just a thought about possible Merc driver, Toto is in Valtteri's management team, along with Mika. He may fit in real well there. He wouldnt be to much of a massive threat to Lewis. Have read that Lewis doesnt mind who is new team mate is. But i dont reckon, he will have a say in it. He will not want, say Fernando coming into his little palace and rocking the foundations and beating him.

It maybe either Bottas or Pascal.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/st...10732596183040

So we've had a few enquiries this afternoon...

We'll get back to you ��
    #ThankYouForYourEnquiry #F1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/st...13093410541568

Reference please [MENTION=7577]Max[/MENTION]33Verstappen ��

#ToWhomItMayConcern #F1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/st...14338703523841

Experience ❌
    Ambition ✅

#PleaseHold #F1

I wonder if Mercedes will try to by out Vettel's Ferrari contract? I'm sure they would like to replace Nico with another German driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    It maybe either Bottas or Pascal.
    Wehrlein is IMHO still too inexperienced for Mercedes but we'll know soon.

Disappointed Since 2010

Alonso has a contract with McLaren and that seat suits him fine.
    The vastly inferior McLaren suits Fernando Alonso? I've seen some dumb things on this forum over the years, but this one takes the cake. Alonso and Button deserved much better!

Disappointed Since 2010

Wehrlein is IMHO still too inexperienced for Mercedes but we'll know soon.
    Could say that, but look at Max this year.
    Last edited by Rob; 2nd December 2016 at 19:40.

If Vettel goes to Mercedes, can we get Alonso back?

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    If Vettel goes to Mercedes, can we get Alonso back?
    no

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    The vastly inferior McLaren suits Fernando Alonso? I've seen some dumb things on this forum over the years, but this one takes the cake. Alonso and Button deserved much better!
    Alonso has made his bed himself so McLaren must suit him perfectly.

I am speechless. And that doesn't happen to Italians very often.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Alonso would be great but I can't see Mercedes going down a possible explosive route after all the antics between Nico and Lewis this year. I somehow think they will want to calm things down a bit. In my opinion, they will be looking at someone like Wehrlein who has shown some great talent and skill in a difficult car. He is young and will be a solid no2 driver to Lewis. Love or hate Lewis, he is a great driver and Mercedes won't let him go for any money in the world. Whether he obeyed team orders or not in Abu Dhabi doesn't matter. He won 10 races this year and a very valuable asset. Mercedes would back him 100% with all their recourses in the championship fight next year
    If anyone deserves a crack at that seat it would be Hulkenberg...
    Last edited by Cheeseman; 2nd December 2016 at 20:48.

I believe Merc will be pragmatic with picking Rosberg's replacement. They're going to choose someone that has a great understanding of their Power Unit which leaves only three choices that are proven on track - Perez, Hülkenberg and Bottas. Could have been Massa but I guess it's impossible to backtrack on his decision, especially in this own head. But I also believe if it was up to Lewis he would pick Massa as it seems Felipe is one of the few drivers that basicly is (was) liked by everyone (OK, maybe not Fisichella...). Button could also be a choice and I don't think Lewis would mind but I can't see two brits at Mercedes for marketing reasons.

If Samurai Alonso leaves Shogun Honda, does that make him a Ronin?