Thread: 2018 F1 news

F1's biggest problem is the belief that cutting costs helps small teams. Small teams best succeed when the rules are kept to a bare minimum. The current prescriptive nightmare of F1 regulations restricts avenues of creativity. With such a narrow window of creativity, only big spending can make a difference. Remove budgets and all constraints and small teams can find exploits without needing to spend vast amounts of money.

Quote Originally Posted by enjaybel3 View Post
    F1's biggest problem is the belief that cutting costs helps small teams. Small teams best succeed when the rules are kept to a bare minimum. The current prescriptive nightmare of F1 regulations restricts avenues of creativity. With such a narrow window of creativity, only big spending can make a difference. Remove budgets and all constraints and small teams can find exploits without needing to spend vast amounts of money.
    Mmm in some ways that’s true, but rare materials and alloys are very very expensive and a super quick way to gain weight benefits.
    So we need SOME restrictions in the regulations. And the engines need to be a core with times.
    And I’m sure that the grid will be disperse by a lot of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Go Ferrari, beat them all!

Getting pole is the best shot at winning a race. Go for it all the way. Saving the car for the next race is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Aberracus View Post
    Mmm in some ways that’s true, but rare materials and alloys are very very expensive and a super quick way to gain weight benefits.
    So we need SOME restrictions in the regulations. And the engines need to be a core with times.
    And I’m sure that the grid will be disperse by a lot of time.

You're correct, and so we need some rules. But being so close to F1 can make us myopic. We see an irregularity and make more rules. But from a creative-destruction (freedom to innovate) perspective we simply stifle more potential. And in our zeal to "help" we take away exactly what can allow a back marker to leapfrog to be a leader. There were no budget limits when the low budget garragistas overtook the big budget leaders in F1 in their day.
    Have you ever heard of Samuel Langley? He had a massive government grant and a team of the world's best engineers working for him. He and his team competed against a bunch of bycicle makers, none with higher than high school educations and no budget other than what they spent themselves. There were no rules in their competition. We all know the Wright brothers won that race.

For 2028, in only 10 years, the vast majority of cars sold will be electric; Do you imagine some nuts running around the world in cars propelled by 20th century engines ?
    Which manufacturer would want that ?
    The cities will not accept sound levels of the past. Formula 1 as we used to know and love is evolving, personally I embrace the change, because without change is stagnation and death.

Based on what data?
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Based on what data?
    It’s obvious, there are goals to make, China is requiring manufacturers to sell 10% EF EV for 2019, and 12% for 2020 and growing upon that, in China there will not be sold new fossil fuel cars in 2035; Other nations have also been pushing to limit the sale of cars that run on fossil fuels. The U.K. and France have both recently decided to outlaw the sale of new internal-combustion cars by 2040. But as the world's largest car market, China’s push will have a more profound effect on the industry.

Isn’t it obvious then ?

It’s obvious, there are goals to make, China is requiring manufacturers to sell 10% EF EV for 2019, and 12% for 2020 and growing upon that, in China there will not be sold new fossil fuel cars in 2035; Other nations have also been pushing to limit the sale of cars that run on fossil fuels. The U.K. and France have both recently decided to outlaw the sale of new internal-combustion cars by 2040. But as the world's largest car market, China’s push will have a more profound effect on the industry.

Isn’t it obvious then ?
    I think you're right that EV's will replace ICE cars. I also don't think it will take 10 years to get to the point where most new cars sold will be EV's.
    However, I don't think it will be because of government regulations, it will be simply because it is way cheaper.
    Facts we already know to be true today:-
    - EV are about 3 times as efficient in energy conversion.
    - There's about 10 times the number of moving parts in an ICE (~1000) compared to an EV (~100)
    - Life cycle of an EV is about 1.5M kilometers ICE cars 500K kilometers
    - Global solar panel installations double every 2 years
    - Since the 70's solar power price has dropped 10% per year (in the same time fossil fuels have increased)
    - Solar will achieve (or better) "Grid Parity" in over 50% of the world in 2018. By 2020 it will be significantly cheaper on just about every grid.
    - Home panel generation at 4c per kwh
    - US$35K EV car in mass production in the US in 2018. 400K already on back order.

But I don't think the EV will be the big deal coming out of all this. I think the big deal will be the end of the car as a personal thing. Autonomous vehicles coupled with this means transport will be a service (TaaS) purely on cost and convenience. So there will be drastically less vehicles on the road that last way longer. Some car manufacturers better do some destructive creation very soon if they want to find the next business to move into as "privately owned cars" become a historical footnote.

The bright side IMO is that F1 will become an art and not subject to market needs - especially as we won't be buying cars much anyway. So we can have roaring V12's muscled around tracks for pleasure and entertainment

I’m with you in all of the above, but, I really can’t imagine Ferrari Renault and Mercedes investing in V12 tech in an electric world.

And I'm glad I'm old enough to be pushing up daisies by the time this happens and we no longer drive ICE vehicles.

So here we are. Week 14 of 2018. The week that will forever alter the history of Formula 1. Years ago who would have thought that exactly this space in time would be the turning point? The Scuderia Ferrari out of Maranello, Emilia-Romagna, Italy has been on the grid every year since 1950 (with a few exceptions, races) and it will end in the future starting 2021 they will not be there anymore. But Formula 1 is only a name, a brand. True racing will continue in another form somewhere else and my bet is that not even the UN can stop it. Circuits owners all around the world have the law on their side to host whatever they want. The world may be turning into a 1984-type communism-pastiche as we speak but grand prix racing still have a punch or two to deliver. It's going to be very unpolitically correct and it will enrage many sheep and that's exactly what will happen. Who will care? More people that will care about Formula 1 from 2021 onwards, i guarantee that.

But since it has to start somewhere it will start this week. Look out for news and twists (prior to the Bahrain presentation) because that's the way it's going to be presented. They'll want you to swallow it with hook and sinker before they deliver the blow. I somehow agree with the hypocrite Damon Hill (Renault super engine of 1996), yes Ferrari should leave Formula 1. You'll get your wish Damon...now bugger off you ungrateful idiot. See you on the other side, if you're still there (I personally doubt it).

My 2 cents. I'll post my future predictions later. Grand Prix racing has got the get back to racing, sexy racing without "twists".

I've already said that I will follow through the Formula 1 we have now up until 2020 because I've invested my heart in Sebastian Vettel. So I'm there until 2020 no matter what. Then I jump ship for the new series no matter who drives our cars.
    Last edited by 512 TR; 2nd April 2018 at 13:47.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    And I'm glad I'm old enough to be pushing up daisies by the time this happens and we no longer drive ICE vehicles.
    Ah Wisepie you are not that old and I know you like (admittedly not love) Formula E.

Forza Jules

just an fyi for some of us....Monaco and Russia keeping grid girls.

From Russia with love .
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    just an fyi for some of us....Monaco and Russia keeping grid girls.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Well would love Ricciardo in our team, I think Seb and he could be great teamates. They are both very consistent, fast on both one lap pace and in race craft wise. It would be an amazing pairing, and would seriously increase the chance for the WCC.

Just a thought about redbull racing. I think they will have issues with the Renault engines all season. Reason why would be if they have both redbull teams with honda they would move clear of them as we all know the honda engine is weak. Good move from Renault. I'm tired of hearing them whin about stuff all the time. Thats why RIC is leaving and poor crash boy is stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by sxviper698 View Post
    Just a thought about redbull racing. I think they will have issues with the Renault engines all season. Reason why would be if they have both redbull teams with honda they would move clear of them as we all know the honda engine is weak. Good move from Renault. I'm tired of hearing them whin about stuff all the time. Thats why RIC is leaving and poor crash boy is stuck.
    Crash boy has lot of time in his hand. So no worries for him. But Danny ric wants to be champion so he’s making a move.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Crash boy has lot of time in his hand. So no worries for him. But Danny ric wants to be champion so he’s making a move.
    Dan want's to be #1 @ Ferrari? Seb will welcome him with open arms!! Ferrari needs Max. Yes to everything untill race time, then he goes into win only mode. Seb needs Lewis' car, Lewis needs Ferrari to finish his F1 days with the team of all teams along with his achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Dan want's to be #1 @ Ferrari? Seb will welcome him with open arms!! Ferrari needs Max. Yes to everything untill race time, then he goes into win only mode. Seb needs Lewis' car, Lewis needs Ferrari to finish his F1 days with the team of all teams along with his achievements.
    The way I look at this equation is,
    Ric & vet - Ferrari (Kimi will retire at Ferrari with good performance) or
    Ric & ham - mercs, which leaves Bottas to Ferrari. (He’s got good sponsorship & he’s fin).
    RB will promote : gasley beside mad max.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Brembo, you have been imbibing too much again, your last comment re HAM is off the menu, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Brembo, you have been imbibing too much again, your last comment re HAM is off the menu, I hope.
    Couldnt stomach Bottas. Only reason he would be available is Merc did not want him. In such a tight battle we would be taking Mercs sloppy seconds, they would have replaced their 2nd driver with a better one and we would have the worse 2nd driver as a fact. I can see Ricciardo coming but Kimi is doing really well so far, he may offer a degree of flexibility by having one more year so LeClerc has a chance in 2020 but even that may be early. If we need a stop gap to assess LeClerc I would rather have Perez.

Formula 1’s governing body the FIA has given F1 tyre suppliers Pirelli the green light to reduce the tread depth on their slick tyres by 0.4 millimetres at three races this year in a bid to combat overheating issues.

Pirelli found in pre-season testing that the new asphalt at Spain’s Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya produced more grip and less tyre wear, which means more rubber stayed on the tyre which in turn can lead to surface overheating. As Great Britain’s Silverstone and France’s Paul Ricard circuits also feature new asphalt for this season, like Barcelona, Pirelli opted to reduce the tread depth, and therefore the amount of rubber on the tyre, for those three races.

“This was a recommendation that we ourselves brought to the FIA – as we have done in the past at some races – because it is less disruptive than nominating harder compounds, which was the alternative,” said Pirelli’s Head of Car Racing, Mario Isola.

“Apart from making a set of tyres weigh around one kilogram less, there is no appreciable difference in performance; so in effect this is an ‘invisible’ change.“It only applies to the three races in Spain, France and Britain: there is no alteration to the tyre specification planned for any other events. "We tested the solution last year, and in terms of performance or other consequences, they are almost transparent.

"Obviously the reason we stayed on the standard tyre for this year was in normal circumstances you wear the tyre, and if you don't have enough thickness, you wear the tyre too quickly."

This is not the first time Pirelli have made such a request - the tyre supplier reduced the tread depth in 2011 and 2012 for the Belgian and Italian Grands Prix.

So not much to worry about...
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by mark p View Post
    Couldnt stomach Bottas. Only reason he would be available is Merc did not want him. In such a tight battle we would be taking Mercs sloppy seconds, they would have replaced their 2nd driver with a better one and we would have the worse 2nd driver as a fact. I can see Ricciardo coming but Kimi is doing really well so far, he may offer a degree of flexibility by having one more year so LeClerc has a chance in 2020 but even that may be early. If we need a stop gap to assess LeClerc I would rather have Perez.
    I'm with you on most of what you say.
    Personally I would like Danny Ric in red but Ric wants to be WDC and so does Seb so that would create problems..............
    Perez is another one I would love to see in red after all he excelled on our young driver programme before he made that disastrous move to Macca but he would want to try for WDC .................so that leaves us with Charles and Gio both would be happy to work hard and learn which leaves Seb as a clear no 1

Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by racingbradley View Post
    I'm with you on most of what you say.
    Personally I would like Danny Ric in red but Ric wants to be WDC and so does Seb so that would create problems..............
    Perez is another one I would love to see in red after all he excelled on our young driver programme before he made that disastrous move to Macca but he would want to try for WDC .................so that leaves us with Charles and Gio both would be happy to work hard and learn which leaves Seb as a clear no 1
    I agree. I would love one of those 2 in a Ferrari IF Kimi does call time. Problem is they do not have experience. Ferrari is like no other team for preassure. You can excel as a rookie but then melt at Ferrari or thats traditionaly tbe Ferrari train of thought. I hope Kimi stays and LeClerc gets a few more seasons do e at a high level of performance.

BREAKING NEWS FOR THOSE THAT GET ESPN2

It is going commercial free for the remainder of the F1 2018 season.

Excellent. Their coverage was better this time around and I will pay for ESPNEWS in order to not miss anything, but I still miss Hobbs, Matchett, and Diffey...

Disappointed Since 2010

Great news about ESPN I noticed no commercials during the race Sunday and wondered how long that would continue.

Accoring to @Motorsport_IT, Ferrari wants to renew Kimi Räikkönen for 2019 season.

and

McLaren receives £200 million cash injection from company linked to F2 driver Latifi https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/19/...driver-latifi/