Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F1 could add digital display to Halo device

As long as the governing body refuses to see the real issues that the sport has to deal with (eg. overtaking without using artificial means, circuits that need to promote overtaking instead of having a boring design, simplification of rules instead of making them too hard to understand, even for the drivers), the sport will be in decline.

There are simple solutions to all the aforementioned but the politics are getting too much in the way of the health of the sport.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    As long as the governing body refuses to see the real issues that the sport has to deal with (eg. overtaking without using artificial means, circuits that need to promote overtaking instead of having a boring design, simplification of rules instead of making them too hard to understand, even for the drivers), the sport will be in decline.

There are simple solutions to all the aforementioned but the politics are getting too much in the way of the health of the sport.

agreed with everything you said with one exception and a couple of additions. Circuits are fine. This "new" Paul Ricard added a chicane down the straight which personally "made the cars slow down" for safety reasons; kinda like LeMans in 89 into 90 when they added two chicanes down the Mulsanne (again, for safety because cars were pushing in excess of 245mph or close to 400kph). I don't like chicanes down straights to make the cars slow down. That's the danger.

This whole "making the sport acceptable in the future" with the deletion of noise, hybrid crap, TONS of rules and regs, halo, deletion of grid girls and probably more to come is diluting what F1 is....its a motorSPORT!! Go back to basics. KISS - keep it simple stupid. Start with the fundamentals.

Bring back cigarettes (for sponsorship). Let's face it, weed is the thing now.

Finally some common sense (except for the grid man part)

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    agreed with everything you said with one exception and a couple of additions. Circuits are fine. This "new" Paul Ricard added a chicane down the straight which personally "made the cars slow down" for safety reasons; kinda like LeMans in 89 into 90 when they added two chicanes down the Mulsanne (again, for safety because cars were pushing in excess of 245mph or close to 400kph). I don't like chicanes down straights to make the cars slow down. That's the danger.

This whole "making the sport acceptable in the future" with the deletion of noise, hybrid crap, TONS of rules and regs, halo, deletion of grid girls and probably more to come is diluting what F1 is....its a motorSPORT!! Go back to basics. KISS - keep it simple stupid. Start with the fundamentals.

Bring back cigarettes (for sponsorship). Let's face it, weed is the thing now.
    Fatal high speed accidents in the 1980s happened to Jean-Louis Lafosse in 1981 and to Jo Gartner in 1986, while in 1984 a French track marshal was killed in an accident at the Kink involving the two Aston Martin Nimrod NRA/C2's of British driver John Sheldon and his American team mate Drake Olson. One driver had an extremely lucky escape in 1986. British driver Win Percy had a tyre on his 7.0 litre V12 powered Jaguar XJR-6 explode at some 386 km/h (240 mph), tearing off the rear bodywork and flipping the car into the air "up above the trees". The wreckage finally came to a halt 600 metres down the road. However, despite almost obliterating the vehicle, Percy somehow walked away from the crash with nothing more than bad memories and a badly battered helmet.

As the combination of high speed and high downforce caused tyre and engine failures, two roughly equally spaced chicanes were consequently added to the straight before the 1990 race to limit the achievable maximum speed. The chicanes were added also because the FIA decreed it would no longer sanction a circuit which had a straight longer than 2 kilometres (1.2 mi). which is roughly the length of the Döttinger Höhe straight at the Nürburgring Nordschleife. The chicanes have limited top speeds on the Mulsanne with most of the leading cars topping out at approximately 330 km/h (205 mph) during qualifying and 320 km/h (199 mph) during the race.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post

Agree with what you say, aroutis, but also mindful of what the two subsequent posts. F1 does have to consider safety of drivers and spectators but too many rules and trying to be politically correct will detract from the spectacle and lose more fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Fatal high speed accidents in the 1980s happened to Jean-Louis Lafosse in 1981 and to Jo Gartner in 1986, while in 1984 a French track marshal was killed in an accident at the Kink involving the two Aston Martin Nimrod NRA/C2's of British driver John Sheldon and his American team mate Drake Olson. One driver had an extremely lucky escape in 1986. British driver Win Percy had a tyre on his 7.0 litre V12 powered Jaguar XJR-6 explode at some 386 km/h (240 mph), tearing off the rear bodywork and flipping the car into the air "up above the trees". The wreckage finally came to a halt 600 metres down the road. However, despite almost obliterating the vehicle, Percy somehow walked away from the crash with nothing more than bad memories and a badly battered helmet.

As the combination of high speed and high downforce caused tyre and engine failures, two roughly equally spaced chicanes were consequently added to the straight before the 1990 race to limit the achievable maximum speed. The chicanes were added also because the FIA decreed it would no longer sanction a circuit which had a straight longer than 2 kilometres (1.2 mi). which is roughly the length of the Döttinger Höhe straight at the Nürburgring Nordschleife. The chicanes have limited top speeds on the Mulsanne with most of the leading cars topping out at approximately 330 km/h (205 mph) during qualifying and 320 km/h (199 mph) during the race.
    yes Rob, I get it.....but that was then and this is 2011 with McNish (video provided). Cars are way safer than the 80's. Maybe the FIA needs a revamp or move to another continent....just my 2 cents.

AUSmotive: Allan McNish crash Le Mans 2011 (HD)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW3NDGk6YQE

yes Rob, I get it.....but that was then and this is 2011 with McNish (video provided). Cars are way safer than the 80's. Maybe the FIA needs a revamp or move to another continent....just my 2 cents.

AUSmotive: Allan McNish crash Le Mans 2011 (HD)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW3NDGk6YQE
    Safer, yes. But to risk drivers, marshalls and spectators lifes for the sake of some fans wanting to see the chicanes removed, is stupid and selfish.

Plus the run from Mulsanne Corner and Indianapolis, is now the fastest part of the track. And takes more skill, because has the double kinks.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Bernie is starting to look pretty good right now. I believe in a few years we will remember his time as "the good old days when Bernie...".

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    Bernie is starting to look pretty good right now. I believe in a few years we will remember his time as "the good old days when Bernie...".
    Bernie was all talk but no action. I guess it's sometimes better to take no action at all. I'm talking about the latter part of his career where he was just milking F1 with moves that delivered easy money but those moves also hurt F1 on the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    could'nt agree more. Liberty is starting to look "spineless."

South America , Mexico, USA, actually know what racing is, and F1. Bernie hooked up countries to host F1 where the general population have to ask what is a F1 ? How do you make it? I never tasted a F1 . Is it made with Vodka?

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    South America , Mexico, USA, actually know what racing is, and F1. Bernie hooked up countries to host F1 where the general population have to ask what is a F1 ? How do you make it? I never tasted a F1 . Is it made with Vodka?
    Yeah that was my biggest problem with Bernie. He took F1 to those anti-racing countries just because the rulers of those countries gave big money in order to do some expensive PR. At least Liberty are fixing this problem with more races in Europe and America.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Yeah that was my biggest problem with Bernie. He took F1 to those anti-racing countries just because the rulers of those countries gave big money in order to do some expensive PR. At least Liberty are fixing this problem with more races in Europe and America.
    Fixing? They have yet to fix anything. But hey, at least you can see how your stocks are doing on Kimi's/Seb's car and you can do so not being bothered by those unnecesary grid girls. They were clearly whats wrong with F1. Who ever heard about fast cars/moto to be associated with hot girls? They have to go. Lets not talk about that boring press conference after the race... Why shouldnt we go on the podium and cut their celebrations, by putting them in the uncomfortable position to answer questions 10 sec after they lifted the trophy.
    Last edited by IulianFerrari; 6th February 2018 at 22:25.

could'nt agree more. Liberty is starting to look "spineless."
    Bernie had at least 105 more years in F1 than Liberty. With just 25 years in F1 , Liberty is IMO holding it's own. Their trying to go to where F1 is at least know as a racing sport. If anything Ross and Todt should be kicked out of F1 for good . Replace them with the best looking 2017 grid girls.

Bernie had at least 105 more years in F1 than Liberty. With just 25 years in F1 , Liberty is IMO holding it's own. Their trying to go to where F1 is at least know as a racing sport. If anything Ross and Todt should be kicked out of F1 for good . Replace them with the best looking 2017 grid girls.
    Have you been at the medicine again, Brembo? I worry about you sometimes.

Vespucci, Magellon, Columbus and now F1 through Liberty have discovered land across the pond suitable for more F1 tracks and races!! Ferrari knew it all along!

Disappointed Since 2010

Well, Scott Dixon tested out the windscreen aeroscreen on the new IndyCar on an oval track at night with all the lights on. This windscreen aeroscreen looks 1000 times better than the Halo.

Both cars are open cockpits and capable of speeds in excess of 210mph plus. F1 cars tyres are tethered by 2 or 3 (new) linkages. Not sure about IndyCar.

Well, Scott Dixon tested out the windscreen aeroscreen on the new IndyCar on an oval track at night with all the lights on. This windscreen aeroscreen looks 1000 times better than the Halo.

Both cars are open cockpits and capable of speeds in excess of 210mph plus. F1 cars tyres are tethered by 2 or 3 (new) linkages. Not sure about IndyCar.
    I don't understand. Seb said he felt dizziness while testing F1's aeroscreen yet IndyCar drivers don't have any problems with it whatsoever. IndyCar is significantly more dangerous than F1 and yet they have a different solution to the problem that was deemed unsafe by the FIA.

Seb done 1 lap IIRC?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I don't understand. Seb said he felt dizziness while testing F1's aeroscreen yet IndyCar drivers don't have any problems with it whatsoever. IndyCar is significantly more dangerous than F1 and yet they have a different solution to the problem that was deemed unsafe by the FIA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Seb done 1 lap IIRC?
    I don't get it.....shrug...sigh. Like it was doomed to fail(aeroscreen) and the halo was rushed through. F1 also holds night races but they tried it during the day with only 1 lap after Seb felt dizzy.....Mindboggling.

Send Todt out at night driving with the areo screen, then the halo. Put a milk box on the seat so he can see over the steering wheel.