Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Canadian GP - Race thread

Vettel is a genius. Would not be surprised if someday he is compared favorably with MS. Or vice versa.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by mizf1 View Post
    Looks like Ferrari's engine is not all out power, improvements can be made elsewere such as better fuel comsumption as that also equals lap time as you cary less KG of fuel during the race. Lap time is not always about HP.
    Yes, I agree. They said they lightened the head, so it will help with weight distribution and CG. I also think they improved the driveability of the engine. From the first 10 to 15 laps, I could see that he can really lean on the engine.
    I also think that what they did with the setup really helped the tire usage too. They were match for Mercedes, if not faster at the end of the stints, where previously, Mercedes was quicker at the end of the stints. Seb pushed the car and the tiers in the opening laps, and the tiers were able to take it. Bottas had no response.

Quote Originally Posted by mardyrt View Post
    Yes, I agree. They said they lightened the head, so it will help with weight distribution and CG. I also think they improved the driveability of the engine. From the first 10 to 15 laps, I could see that he can really lean on the engine.
    I also think that what they did with the setup really helped the tire usage too. They were match for Mercedes, if not faster at the end of the stints, where previously, Mercedes was quicker at the end of the stints. Seb pushed the car and the tiers in the opening laps, and the tiers were able to take it. Bottas had no response.
    Bottas said he was fuel,saving at the end, seems strange since we had a SC so looks like Merc underfilled their cars massively or there engine is not as economical as the media make out

Next race we have the Merc special Pirelli tyres, hopefully Ferrari have better tyre management then they did at spain. We had good tyre deg during this Canadian race but the tyres didn't degrade much across the board.

Seb said that he was thinking about Michael during the last laps of the race.

Quote Originally Posted by coshida View Post
    Seb said that he was thinking about Michael during the last laps of the race.
    I truly believe him. He is also a big F1 history fan (remember his 'Senna 1991' remark and adding remaining three-time champion after winning his third), Michael was his idol and he really is breathing Ferrari's air right now. I think he is still being demonised for Red Bull years and I think he changed a bit, especially off-track. He always seemed to be quite fun off-track but Marko's influence put tremendous pressure on him and he was probably withdrawn because of that. Now free of that, he is truly nice and funny off-track even if still prone to on-track occassional outbursts when things don't go his way.

Quote Originally Posted by Michal2_F1 View Post
    I truly believe him. He is also a big F1 history fan (remember his 'Senna 1991' remark and adding remaining three-time champion after winning his third), Michael was his idol and he really is breathing Ferrari's air right now. I think he is still being demonised for Red Bull years and I think he changed a bit, especially off-track. He always seemed to be quite fun off-track but Marko's influence put tremendous pressure on him and he was probably withdrawn because of that. Now free of that, he is truly nice and funny off-track even if still prone to on-track occassional outbursts when things don't go his way.
    I'm in total agreement with you on this now that he has entered his adulthood and is showing perceptive intelligence though the sudden angers may still need work-we're all human so maybe a tad less over-confidence? UNDENIABLY PURE CLASS THROUGHOUT THE DAY TODAY! The Ham will be in a funk for a while and I hope our team can quickly follow through with another win in France for good demoralizing psychological effect, and hopefully Mercedes won't have too much in the (overdue) engine improvement. Kimi needs a win too and I hope the stars align so that he can put well paid to his Ferrari career. I continue to have high hopes for both championships this year and either will do though I value the WCC more!
    Davvero, un bel lavoro! FORZA FERRARI!!!
    Last edited by Liscia; 11th June 2018 at 00:51.

Hamilton does not have the ability to play mind games with vetal the german dna is a powerful thing good luck lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by mizf1 View Post
    Lion drive by Vettel, well measured raced.

Kimi, it seems the ice man melts when it comes to Q3 and the pressure is on. Fast forward to the race and out of the top 6 you can pretty much guarantee he will lose a place. I read a stat a few races ago that he is the only driver in the last year not to make up a place at the start of a race.
    Kimi has lost it, we need change, somebody else, anyone in that red car could be fighting for podiums at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Go Ferrari, beat them all!

Quote Originally Posted by Aberracus View Post
    Kimi has lost it, we need change, somebody else, anyone in that red car could be fighting for podiums at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fighting for a podium , only if allowed to. If Seb needs the spot, #2 better move over! Name 3 top drivers willing to move over. Kimi given the same priority car wise etc. a Seb would probably be ahead of Seb points wise. Esp. from pole.

I'm a Kimi fan, but I think he is showing his age in the races so far. The Kimi that is always on attack mode is gone. Now it's either he will lose a place or two at the start or settle in his current place and not bother trying at all. He says the races are boring, well that's because he is making it so!

Kimi is the last Ferrari champion, I hope he retires this year to preserve his legacy at Ferrari. We need new blood in the person of Leclerc. He should drive for Ferrari next year and have Seb as his mentor. Sure he will make mistakes here and there, but that's what we get from Kimi anyways so why not promote Leclerc earlier? The kid got skills and has excellent race craft. He is the same age as Max but Max has an advantage because he is already on a top team. We should prepare him early since Seb is not getting any younger either. The future is now!

Quote Originally Posted by da_one View Post
    I'm a Kimi fan, but I think he is showing his age in the races so far. The Kimi that is always on attack mode is gone. Now it's either he will lose a place or two at the start or settle in his current place and not bother trying at all. He says the races are boring, well that's because he is making it so!

Kimi is the last Ferrari champion, I hope he retires this year to preserve his legacy at Ferrari. We need new blood in the person of Leclerc. He should drive for Ferrari next year and have Seb as his mentor. Sure he will make mistakes here and there, but that's what we get from Kimi anyways so why not promote Leclerc earlier? The kid got skills and has excellent race craft. He is the same age as Max but Max has an advantage because he is already on a top team. We should prepare him early since Seb is not getting any younger either. The future is now!
    Seb will want to mentor Leclerc to take team orders, let him pass! Max's advantage is he wants to win every race. Leclerc is doing too good IMO to take orders from Seb or anyone else as a team mate.

Quote Originally Posted by da_one View Post

Kimi's car not him is showing it's age . Super , ultra troublesome engine etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Fighting for a podium , only if allowed to. If Seb needs the spot, #2 better move over! Name 3 top drivers willing to move over. Kimi given the same priority car wise etc. a Seb would probably be ahead of Seb points wise. Esp. from pole.
    So you mean kimi doesn’t have fastest car ??? Isn’t that car a podium finisher ???
    It’s the team that is doing mistakes in q3??? Doing good in q1 & q2, come to q3 wts the issue???
    What happened to the starts?? Every time loosing a place or two. Where is his race pace ??
    Even on fresher tyres he wasn’t able to get close to ham ?
    Look at ham, he was attacking DR. Look at mad max attacking bottas. Where is kimi ?

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    I agree Kimi fell asleep at the start, but how would some on this forum expect Kimi to overtake anyone from the top 3, let alone Bottas to overtake Vettel, or Hamilton to overtake Verstappen.

The "overtaking" given the top 3 mostly takes place in the pits......all 3 competitors are evenly matched and affected by aero along with tyres. The one up front gets the clean air and pulls away from the pack.
    I didn’t expect him to overtake, if you see my posts in quali thread.
    But there was a chance to push like a hell, where he could have jumped ham.
    Overtaking became difficult agreed, but where is the intent to attack somebody ahead of you. May be ham can crack under pressure would have made a mistake ? Or his engine would have blown out? It’s not at all abt only overtaking.

In my opinion, I feel age is getting the better of Kimi. He has blistering pace in quali but finds it difficult to maintain speed throughout an entire grand prix. A bit like how Massa was towards the end of his career at Ferrari. He often qualified very close to Alonso but couldn't convert them to a podium.

great drive seb.. congrats to the whole team..

moving on, is france circuit more suited to our car?

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    ...where is the intent to attack somebody ahead of you. May be ham can crack under pressure would have made a mistake ? Or his engine would have blown out? It’s not at all abt only overtaking.
    Agreed. With reliability a big question mark over the Merc engine, I would have liked to have seen Kimi really push Ham, and possibly forced a position and/or a DNF out of him.

So glad to see Vettel winning the race without much difficulty. Was worried after Barcelona but I guess the new suspension there wasn't working.
    This is a good sign going forward, I'm optimistic for the next race.

As for Kimi, some days he is fast, but it seems that when things get tough, he will really struggle. I agree that we can't blame him for the DNF he had suffer. But on days like this, we need him to perform his best and take points away from our rivals

I hope he'll improve his consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by 512 TR View Post
    I think people are a bit tough on Kimi, at least this season. Look, he has two DNFs and none were his faults. It's not like he crashed. Had he scored points in Bahrain and Barcelona then Ferrari would be leading both championships. We're 17 points behind and Merc has not had a DNF, Bottas has had one race where he hasn't scored. What do you want him to do? Be quicker than Seb? I think he knows that's impossible on a regular basis because the F1 he came into back in the day has been gone for years. I think he doing a good job this season at least. Yes, the last two race weekends have been little off, it's qualifying again. But unlike the last few season he has shown this season he can still do it. Have some faith.

Well said!

Grande Seb, grande squadra, not so grande Kimi but at least he dragged it home in the points, although not nearly enough. He was bored for a reason! Let's hope the tyres won't work against us in France and UK, if GIO is available after his Le Mans stint to go on the simulator again, he will do the business and deserves more credit for his efforts. We needed this victory and I am sopra la luna!

Maurizio Arrivabene: ”Without a doubt, today’s win is down to a very good car and a great drive from Seb. The team, both at the track and back in Maranello, has worked hard and methodically, preparing the car, which right from Saturday’s qualifying proved to be very quick. The tyres responded very well to the strategies we devised. It’s a shame that Kimi’s mistake in qualifying affected his whole race. There is still a long way to go in the championship and we have to continue giving it our all. I take this opportunity to thank our fans and customers who never fail to show us their support and our sponsors and technical partners, especially Shell, for their support in our development programme.”

Sebastian Vettel: ”This win is very important for our tifosi and for our team, today is a special day. 40 years ago Gilles won here, then 14 years ago it was Michael and I was thinking of that today. At the start I tried to build up a margin, I was happy with my first lap and then the safety car came out and I had to start over again. During my last 10 laps I prayed that my car would not develop a problem until the end! Points are always important but today this win means a lot and not just in terms of Championship. The season is still so long and there are many races ahead. The main thing is that our car is strong and stays like that, so that we can fight.”

Kimi Raikkonen: “Yesterday’s mistake in qualifying did not put ourselves in a good position for the race. Overtaking was very difficult here; I tried to get ahead of Hamilton after my pit stop, but it did not work out. Then It was even difficult to get close enough to him to open the DRS. It was a surprise, because on this track you would expect to see overtaking and fights, instead it was a similar story to two weeks ago in Monaco. The race was boring and not much happened. We decided to stay out a little bit longer on our first set of tyres and I don’t think that cost us any position: it was our only option to try something different.”
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

We beated Mercedes on a pure power track, cant believe what I am seeing. It was a very emotional win by Seb yesterday. But now I am looking ahead at French GP, it has 3 pretty long straights and high-speed corners, so the high-aero efficiency is the key here, like in Silverstone. Our car for the first time for 4-5 years it has a good top speed, maybe a little bit even faster than Mercedes, so we can fight. I hope that in testing in Barcelona we found the sollution with this "new" tyres, that will be used for 3 races this year.
    Forza.

Fastest pit-stops, longest stints & tyre strategies of the Canadian GP: Sauber quickest again, Ericsson run 98.5% of the race on one set of tyres

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfXIH2uX0AAV1Cj.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfXGUqRWsAEMjbP.jpg

Fastest pit-stops, longest stints & tyre strategies of the Canadian GP: Sauber quickest again, Ericsson run 98.5% of the race on one set of tyres

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfXIH2uX0AAV1Cj.jpg
    What was the top speed of our car compared to others

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfXGUqRWsAEMjbP.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by FF1 View Post

Max speed per sector

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfZb5e4XUAATptO.jpg

Best sector times

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfZZE0HWAAAbTGD.jpg

Note: with all these advancements in technology (14 years).....the F2004 still holds the record at this track (Rubens).

Quote Originally Posted by Vettel165 View Post
    We beated Mercedes on a pure power track, cant believe what I am seeing. It was a very emotional win by Seb yesterday. But now I am looking ahead at French GP, it has 3 pretty long straights and high-speed corners, so the high-aero efficiency is the key here, like in Silverstone. Our car for the first time for 4-5 years it has a good top speed, maybe a little bit even faster than Mercedes, so we can fight. I hope that in testing in Barcelona we found the sollution with this "new" tyres, that will be used for 3 races this year.
    Forza.
    I think we will have a good understanding of them now, was it not our suspension tweak that made us struggle more than the tyres?
    Forza Ferrari

Max speed per sector

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfZb5e4XUAATptO.jpg

Best sector times

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfZZE0HWAAAbTGD.jpg

Note: with all these advancements in technology (14 years).....the F2004 still holds the record at this track (Rubens).
    It is weird that Ferrari are down at the bottom in terms of Speed trap and S3 speed !! I think this might be to the malfunctioning DRS.
    I remember when Kimi was behind Lewis within DRS limit and he was still not using it. Neither was Vettel when he was lapping the backmarkers.