Thread: Salut Gilles

Salut Gilles

Forza Ferrari

Thanks for those, Greig.

Disappointed Since 2010

Every year again, I am prepared for this day to arrive.

I was at the circuit the day before Gilles had his fatal accident. It feels like yesterday..During those first years I went to visit GP's and took my tape-recorder with me..Hearing me say
    'be careful Ferrari's' the moment Gilles came storming towards the first corner while Didier just came out of the pits still gives me the goosebumps.

Forever in my heart this man from Berthierville. So happy now I was able to visit Berthierville prior to the 2000 Canadian GP.

RIP my hero.

Time passes so fast... RIP Gilles :(
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

What a racer.
    Eternal rest grant unto him, o Lord....

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Watching this always makes me feel so sad.
    I still remember the day he had that fatal accident.

Such a great driver and man.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Watching this always makes me feel so sad.
    I still remember the day he had that fatal accident.

Such a great driver and man.
    Watching that video shows just how much he threw caution to the wind, but that's what made him such an icon. I was in Italy when the news of his death came through, being a tifoso it was like the end of the world and it was felt everywhere. Reminds me of Max, although it's hard to say that!

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Watching that video shows just how much he threw caution to the wind, but that's what made him such an icon. I was in Italy when the news of his death came through, being a tifoso it was like the end of the world and it was felt everywhere. Reminds me of Max, although it's hard to say that!
    Gilles had ethos.
    I don't think I could say that for Max.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

This quote always got to me... rather haunting. Did not hear it until after he passed so I suppose it made it that much more impactful to me.
    "I don't think of death. Dying is part of the job"
    RIP Gilles
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Quote Originally Posted by abbottcostello View Post
    This quote always got to me... rather haunting. Did not hear it until after he passed so I suppose it made it that much more impactful to me.
    "I don't think of death. Dying is part of the job"
    RIP Gilles
    yep. He was like that on the race track and in his personal car or aircraft....always on the edge..... people that drove with him or flew with him never wanted to drive with him or fly with him again.

His crash was a qualifying lap and back then the tyres he was on were only good for one flying lap...that's it....hence he went for it no matter what. Then you throw in the opposing driver who was slowing down(probably saw him coming in his rear view mirrors) and in his line coming into the turn and the rest is history. There's a couple of youtube videos out there of the crash.

Enzo liked him........alot.

RIP GV

38 years now..

Thanks for everything hero. Miss you.

RIP

"The whole point of racing is to charge all the time"

And nowadays we have, conserve this, watch at this, save fuel... Real racing?!?!

Would turn 70 this year, RIP legend!
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Gilles threw caution to the wind and that's why we loved him. I see something of Gilles in Charles, and whereas two years ago I compared Gilles to Max, I now feel we have our new Gilles in Charles, another French-speaking driver who has already become an icon in the eyes of the tifosi. Salut Gilles, never forgotten.

Never did I want R Bull to do better than Ferrari but I recognized Max as a future great driver esp. during the time he was called " Crashstappen!" He for sure can hold his own up font. Charles is watching and learning among some great young drivers like himself. Again I say if Binotto is being truthful and Merc is too strong to beat anytime soon, give Gio the seat @ Ferrari so he can really get the experience he needs to get those #1, #2 driver points for Ferrari and back to WCC contention.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Never did I want R Bull to do better than Ferrari but I recognized Max as a future great driver esp. during the time he was called " Crashstappen!" He for sure can hold his own up font. Charles is watching and learning among some great young drivers like himself. Again I say if Binotto is being truthful and Merc is too strong to beat anytime soon, give Gio the seat @ Ferrari so he can really get the experience he needs to get those #1, #2 driver points for Ferrari and back to WCC contention.
    What does you post have to do anything with this thread?!?

Same word over and over and over again... Max..?!?!?

WTH?!

Yeah, real shame Gilles run out of fuel during that last lap at Zolder. As he was running 3rd. at that time these 4 points would have made him world champion in 1979!! But we had a great pairing of drivers that year with Jody and Gilles. I agree with you: One of the best years in Ferrari's history.

Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    What does you post have to do anything with this thread?!?

Same word over and over and over again... Max..?!?!?

WTH?!
    That's a bit unfair, stefa, as I probably brought Max into the thread in a previous post, so Brembo isn't to blame! But Gilles quite often drove with complete abandon, the same as Max has been seen to do, and Charles for me follows that pattern! And there's nothing wrong with that, as long as it's a Ferrari driver!

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    That's a bit unfair, stefa, as I probably brought Max into the thread in a previous post, so Brembo isn't to blame! But Gilles quite often drove with complete abandon, the same as Max has been seen to do, and Charles for me follows that pattern! And there's nothing wrong with that, as long as it's a Ferrari driver!
    You are right... But I am quite fed up with Max, Max, Max....

You are right... But I am quite fed up with Max, Max, Max....

Max is fearless, Max want's to win. If Dan ever went to Ferrari he would need eye blinkers like the horses use not to see whats along side him. If Max is passing ; he would fall apart, Ferrari and all. Crashstappen was a cool name back then, now it's Max the #1 contender, right up there with Charles and Louis. I watch Gio every race hopping for the best so he can get that Ferrari seat. I hope Charles watches Max to see how to now stay out of trouble but still " shoot to kill! " Maximum effort is what makes a driver great! Not just the car. If Ferrari fans here only raved about our driver Seb's great F-1 success they would actually be R Bull fans! . If a Ferrari fan has a favorite driver to replace Seb when he goes; that means he was watching an enemy driver's success during the seasons races ! A traitor!
    Last edited by Brembo; 10th May 2020 at 06:54.

Max is fearless, Max want's to win. If Dan ever went to Ferrari he would need eye blinkers like the horses use not to see whats along side him. If Max is passing ; he would fall apart, Ferrari and all. Crashstappen was a cool name back then, now it's Max the #1 contender, right up there with Charles and Louis. I watch Gio every race hopping for the best so he can get that Ferrari seat. I hope Charles watches Max to see how to now stay out of trouble but still " shoot to kill! " Maximum effort is what makes a driver great! Not just the car. If Ferrari fans here only raved about our driver Seb's great F-1 success they would actually be R Bull fans! . If a Ferrari fan has a favorite driver to replace Seb when he goes; that means he was watching an enemy driver's success during the seasons races ! A traitor!
    Saying that among today's F1 drivers there are some exceptional ones is true, but what makes exceptional driver today is mostly the equipment they are using! Time of great battles on the track, like we can saw in videos posted here ARE LONG GONE AND NEVER COMING BACK!

Saying that among today's F1 drivers there are some exceptional ones is true, but what makes exceptional driver today is mostly the equipment they are using! Time of great battles on the track, like we can saw in videos posted here ARE LONG GONE AND NEVER COMING BACK!
    Yes for sure; the equipment {Car} is 85% of the battle on the track. The other 15% holds true for at least the top 3 or 4 drivers. I want Ferrari to win; and Charles for sure is giving his 15% ++ ! But.... if Louis or Max should win a race, I can't take away the 15% and say it was 100% the car. That doesn't make a Ferrari fan less a Ferrari fan. The races are great start to finish. Only a DNF leaves doubt as to who could have done better. A good question among us Ferrari fans , was it the car; or Seb's driving that caused the bad results last season?

Yes for sure; the equipment {Car} is 85% of the battle on the track. The other 15% holds true for at least the top 3 or 4 drivers. I want Ferrari to win; and Charles for sure is giving his 15% ++ ! But.... if Louis or Max should win a race, I can't take away the 15% and say it was 100% the car. That doesn't make a Ferrari fan less a Ferrari fan. The races are great start to finish. Only a DNF leaves doubt as to who could have done better. A good question among us Ferrari fans , was it the car; or Seb's driving that caused the bad results last season?
    I don’t believe that it can be credibly argued that it wasn’t Seb.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    I don’t believe that it can be credibly argued that it wasn’t Seb.
    I agree. Seb had little to no real experience with R Bull; fighting the way he had to last season to win or even do a podium consistently. It showed big time. But he can retire knowing he did 4 WDCs. He's on the books as a great for sure. I don't blame Seb for not being comfortable in the #2 spot. But Charles for sure deserved to be moved up. Let's hope he continues . Ferrari fans need a WDC, WCC .

Please don't make this thread also a drivers discussion and bashing thread. This is supposed to be for Gilles and please leave it to be that way.

Good point speedmaster. My fault. Sorry

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus