Page 44 of 55 FirstFirst ... 193031323334353637383940414243444546474849505152535455 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1630

Thread: Jerez Test 7th-10th Feb 2012 - news and pics

Alonso:

"I still think there is a long way to go until Australia, in terms of how many days and how many tests we can do," he said, when asked by AUTOSPORT about his feelings on the state Ferrari was in at the end of the test.

"The progress in these four days has been quite big for us. Maybe not in performance or times or whatever, as I don't know what the times were like in the first two days or what were the track conditions in the first two days compared to now, but definitely all the tests we did and all the understanding of the car has been positive for us.

"We will arrive to Barcelona much more prepared than how we arrived in Jerez. That is what Pat also tried to say yesterday: we arrived in Jerez thinking about one idea of the car, and maybe it was not exactly like that.

"But we have worked around it and found the performance there, and found the happiness and level of confidence of driving this car now in day three or day four. So day one in Barcelona will be a much better starting point."

Despite his faith that Ferrari will have a better time in Barcelona, he also thinks it vital the team's testing programme is not blighted by the reliability issues that limited running for both Felipe Massa and Fernando Alonso over the four days.

"I think it is very early days at the moment, and there is still a lot of work to do," he explained. "At the moment we need to keep understanding the car a lot, as maybe we understand 20% of what we need. And in the next days we will try to get the rest.

"Still, there is a lot of work to do in the set-up, because we concentrated here mainly on the aerodynamics and the constant speed, and some different tests, but there is a lot more to come from the set-up.

"There are only two more tests unfortunately because we are one test less than last year. So at Barcelona, we need to maximise the time on the track as perhaps it is the only negative thing of today, that in eight hours available of track time we only did 39 laps. So in Barcelona, we need to do more than 100 laps because all that information in those laps will be valuable."

One area that Alonso feels the team has sorted is the tyre warm-up issue that Ferrari suffered last year.

"The strong point of the car from what I've seen so far is the tyre warm-up," he said. "It seems we can extract the maximum on the opening lap, something we couldn't do last year. As for things to improve, the aerodynamics and reliability, because between yesterday and today we have done few laps."

source Autosport so I would be careful with reading :)

Quote Originally Posted by Chicane View Post
    why only 39 laps todays test?
    Little bit of electrical problems + fitting a lot of new parts

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    How did we do mates and matesses?
    We won, the titles are ours!!!

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

What I can recall off my memory right now, Alonso set the fastest time earlier in the morning, 1:18:xxx in cold condition. No major issues (yesterday had a hydraulic failure), and today the exhaust is slightly different, pointing in a different direction which indicates Ferrari are still experimenting with different ideas.

Mostly very good with a little bad.

Fernando Alonso set the fastest time of the day - and the second best by a 2012 car across all four days - as Ferrari ended the pre-season test at Jerez on a positive note.

The Scuderia had struggled to get on top of the radical F2012 during the first three days but, with Alonso at the helm, it rose to the top of the timesheets early on in day four and was never displaced.

Alonso ended with a best of 1m18.877s, set at the start of a six-lap run which also included laps in the 1m19s and 1m20s. It was enough to put him seven tenths clear of the day four field, with only Romain Grosjean on the previous day able to go faster in this year's new breed of cars.

Alonso was, however, only able to set two timed laps after 11.00 CET as Ferrari grappled with a hydraulic issue that restricted its afternoon programme.
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97479

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

joseluisf1 FA
    Alonso: "The strong point of the car from what I've seen so far is the tyre warm-up" ;)

Thanks a lot @kazi, Hornet and Jose-Lorca fan:

Didn't know that, so it seems it can have some aero/downforce benefits. But at the same time, it seems this year the rakes from the f1 teams are gonna be lower than last year's. BTW, what could be the detrimental effects of a too high rake? (if any). I suppose, instead of aero benefits, it would be loss of aero performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
    Thanks a lot @kazi, Hornet and Jose-Lorca fan:

Didn't know that, so it seems it can have some aero/downforce benefits. But at the same time, it seems this year the rakes from the f1 teams are gonna be lower than last year's. BTW, what could be the detrimental effects of a too high rake? (if any). I suppose, instead of aero benefits, it would be loss of aero performance.
    Yes a loss in aero performance because with a high rake alot of air escapes, thus rendering the Diffuser useless. The EBD was used to seal the area around the Diffuser in order to stop air flowing under the car from escaping the sides of the diffuser. That is my understanding of it.
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    What I can recall off my memory right now, Alonso set the fastest time earlier in the morning, 1:18:xxx in cold condition. No major issues (yesterday had a hydraulic failure), and today the exhaust is slightly different, pointing in a different direction which indicates Ferrari are still experimenting with different ideas.

Grazie!

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

BTW, Alonso mentions the Aerodynamics as one of the main aspects to improve. So, i understand that the wind tunnel data correlates well this year with the real track data, but still, there are some things to improve, and polish...maybe what Alonso is referring to this:

Pat Fry: "Performance wise I think we are okay, but we can play around with the performance and improve [the car in] some corners and some particular parts of the corner"

Quote Originally Posted by Jose-Lorca Fan View Post
    Yes a loss in aero performance because with a high rake alot of air escapes, thus rendering the Diffuser useless. The EBD was used to seal the area around the Diffuser in order to stop air flowing under the car from escaping the sides of the diffuser. That is my understanding of it.
    Yep, it also means the dirty air coming off the rear tyres can not go to the floor and the diffuser.

The 2 points to improve the F2012: Aerodynamics and reliability

I don't quite understand why the team would starting fitting new parts to the car during the middle of the test session on the last day? surely they new that this would result in lost time (don't call me Shirley)....
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I don't quite understand why the team would starting fitting new parts to the car during the middle of the test session on the last day? surely they new that this would result in lost time (don't call me Shirley)....
    The new parts if I recall were planned as a part of this test session.

Could it be that the playing field is getting more "even" once again with everyone playing by the same rules finally??? We have had several years of allowing certain items being allowed for certain teams that do not follow the intent of the rules and were only allowed to "Spice things Up". Lets hope the rules are more closely applied and the sport and the veiwers benefit from the spectical of the sport.

Ciao.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    For the record, I have nothing against Felipe. I respect him, I think he's Ferrari material, I just don't see him on the same level as Fernando, that's all.
    No-one sees him on the same level as Fernando. We are all aware of both that, and the fact that Fernando is team number 1. We do not need you to keep telling all of us this.

Now please could we keep this thread about TESTING, not the teammate argument which is beyond boring.
    Last edited by Suzie; 10th February 2012 at 17:57.
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    AMuS- they used to be a good site but they have jumped on the 'lets entertain them with senseless gossip and drivel' waggon.
    They just invent things, i stopped reading anything from them some time ago already.
    they used to be a good site before Vettel Merc came on to the scene. i guess that happens.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Is it only me or i think F2012 is most beautiful Ferrari and F1 car ever, specially in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    At the unvieling, Fry said new evolved parts will continously be added during testing, as they're produced in Italy and shipped over night.
    Compliments to the team for constantly working everyday both at base and on the track.

To my knowledge, none of the other teams are doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by REDARMYSOJA View Post
    All I can say is

to be honest, that is the best analysis so far. some was too in depth, but this makes sense

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by type056 View Post
    Is it only me or i think F2012 is most beautiful Ferrari and F1 car ever, specially in action.
    Beautiful no. Well not for me. Especially when compared to the F1-89, 126CK2, as well the F2000 and onwards.

Still it's starting to grow on me, and that curvy rear is damn sexy. Wish the front had a similar sculpted approuch instead of that blocky finish.

Regardless, it's red, it's a Ferrari, and I'm there for the team.

From @EliGP:

Two questions into his press conference, Alonso is having to speak about photos of him and his alleged new girlfriend

Four questions in he's asked about Contador and about French TV parodies

(Those french TV parodies were about spanish athletes doping)

Is Fernando actually the only driver who gets those questions in press conferences?

Alonso: “The times mean nothing, neither today’s nor yesterday’s…”

Jerez de la Frontera, 10 February –Seen from the outside, this Jerez test for Scuderia Ferrari might seem a bit schizophrenic: always a long way back on the time sheet for the first three days, about two or three seconds off the pace and then suddenly, Fernando Alonso is fastest on the fourth day, almost a second ahead of the rest.

In fact nothing had changed: the team continued to work on its own programme, centred almost exclusively at gathering data to understand the handling of the F2012. The 1.18.877 set by Fernando this morning means little, as the Spanish driver stressed when he met the press at the end of the test.

“This time is worth nothing as is the one I set yesterday and those of the previous days,” said Fernando. “Yesterday, we worked mainly with the hard tyres and the others ran the softs and we were seventh. Today, we fitted the Softs and maybe the others did not and we are first. That’s all it is.

“We got on with our job, even if today and yesterday we had some reliability problems we could have done without which prevented us from doing everything we would have wanted,” continued the Ferrari man. “For me, it was good to be back in the car after two and a half months and feel once again all the emotions that come with driving a Formula 1 car. I think that, from the start of the test up to today, we have improved a great deal, it’s like night and day, but there is still much to do, especially on the aerodynamics and on reliability. Then, we will see if it is really a sign of great strength to have immediately done so many kilometres: last year, on the first day we did a lot of laps and then we know how things turned out, so maybe there was too big a margin…”

As did Felipe, Fernando also stressed that the car has a big margin for improvement. “Everything about this car is new, with very few parts carried over from last year’s and there are many innovations, which have come out of a different philosophy to the one adopted in the past. For example, the power steering: it’s new and we worked a lot these past days on sorting it out and today we began to see the benefits for the first time. As I said earlier, there is much to do, but that doesn’t scare us.

“These past few days we have done a great deal of laps, just to gather data, without being able to do much work in any depth on the set-up, therefore I think that, when we will be able to do that, we will also improve the performance. Already, here at Jerez, the moment we did make some changes, we got the response we were expecting, even if it’s true that the fact the car is more complex from a mechanical and aerodynamic point of view definitely makes the tasks more complex. Today we saw a good example of that: we have only done around forty laps partly because it took so much time to carry out the changes we needed to make on the car to complete our programme. I think that in Barcelona, when we will be back on track, the situation will be different and we will be much better prepared compared to this test, where above all we had to learn how to get to grips with this car. Even we the drivers have more to do, because with so many new things on the car it’s even more vital we give the right feedback to the engineers.”

Fernando obviously did not want to launch into predictions about the championship. “We will see, as there are still several weeks to go to Melbourne. Here, day after day, we have progressed, getting ever more confident in the car: we must continue in this direction and improve, but it is much too early to draw any conclusions.” The Lotus in the running for the title? I don’t know as even for them it’s a bit early and I would rather just say I am very happy to see Kimi back: he’s a great driver and a great person.”

Finally, Fernando also wanted to reply to those who wanted to bring up the subject of stories and gossip doing the rounds in the media and on the internet these last few weeks. “I was on holiday in Rome and in Asia with some friends and anyway it’s easy to do cut and paste with photos,” said Fernando. “What is certain is the day that I have a girlfriend, my true friends and my family will definitely not be posting photos on the internet. A word is enough to the wise…”

http://www.ferrari.com/English/Formu...sterday-s.aspx
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

I hate the press when they ask stupid questions. Let the man live his life in peace. Also, why would Alonso care about Contador? These questions reek of Ferrari hate, and racism.

ANYWAYS, the car is gorgeous. And I told you guys to just trust Ferrari to sort this car out. Even though being the quickest of the day means nothing in testing, it's still nice because it makes all the Ferrari haters eat their own words.

the rear part of the car is just brutal :D

How did that McLaren picture sneak in there lol....
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Sorry If I've missed a part of this first test but we haven't tested the supposedly coming new wings yet, have we?

Edit: i know we have done some aero test on the rear one but I'm pretty sure I recall someone saying that an updated frong wing should make its debut soon, no???
    Last edited by NanoTheQuickest; 10th February 2012 at 20:01.

"I cannot judge what he did in his time at Renault and McLaren but I have worked with World Champions Schumacher, Villeneuve and Raikkonen and Fernando is the one who impresses me the most," said Gene.