Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: SF21 Challenger Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Bro i don't know what to Believe anymore ? one day it's a huge step, another is a little step, next one is 10 hp and now a large step :D xD go figure
    https://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrar...e-improvement/
    The 10 HP was reference to the gains made by the fuel alone, plus there is extra from the complete engine/electric power systems.

I like to get into F1 and Ferrari discussions to get away from politics and the virus. Leave that stuff at home or in it's own thread. Let's talk F1, SF21 and at least 40Hp.

Quote Originally Posted by TTRSMAD View Post
    Lancet story retracted look it up.

Ferrari is going to be in the hunt this year no doubt. This season has 23 races and the Mercedes is going to have a hard time with tires year.
    In the hunt for what???championship??? I highly doubt it mate....prolly we may get lucky of a win and a few podiums.....but even that is a bit of a wishful thinking....

Red bull on the other hand have a strong engine this year and a strong car and with Max they may be able to rattle Mercedes and Hamster.....

At best we’ll prolly end up 3rd in the WCC.....at best....and worst 4th or 5th

But I like your optimism...

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    In the hunt for what???championship??? I highly doubt it mate....prolly we may get lucky of a win and a few podiums.....but even that is a bit of a wishful thinking....

Red bull on the other hand have a strong engine this year and a strong car and with Max they may be able to rattle Mercedes and Hamster.....

At best we’ll prolly end up 3rd in the WCC.....at best....and worst 4th or 5th

But I like your optimism...

Personally I think that Red Bull and Alpha was more pushing the limits of the engine compared to Ferrari and Mercedes. There was some sandbagging going on.

I really like Leclerc time on the C3 nobody could touch that time. It was done at the start of the 3rd day. Once the Ferrari is dial in, im pretty optimistic on the season.

Quote Originally Posted by TTRSMAD View Post
    Personally I think that Red Bull and Alpha was more pushing the limits of the engine compared to Ferrari and Mercedes. There was some sandbagging going on.

I really like Leclerc time on the C3 nobody could touch that time. It was done at the start of the 3rd day. Once the Ferrari is dial in, im pretty optimistic on the season.
    I should hope so mate....I’d really like Ferrari to do good, especially this year before the new rules kick in.....but the ferrari looked more nervous from the on-boards compared to red bull....

I’m a bit optimistic too, but when Binotto comes and tells it straight that he’s hoping the team will be 3rd overall....one could say that he’s bluffing....but he usually tells it as it is....

Anyways only a few more sleeps till we hit Q3 and then we’ll get a picture as to where we stand

I should hope so mate....I’d really like Ferrari to do good, especially this year before the new rules kick in.....but the ferrari looked more nervous from the on-boards compared to red bull....

I’m a bit optimistic too, but when Binotto comes and tells it straight that he’s hoping the team will be 3rd overall....one could say that he’s bluffing....but he usually tells it as it is....

Anyways only a few more sleeps till we hit Q3 and then we’ll get a picture as to where we stand
    I agree but you see Red Bull looked good in Bahrein but they are so many tracks that might go in Ferrari favor. One track does not make the season and i have feeling that what was slipped out from Mika Salo on the Ferrari engine last year had some truth to it.
    I can t believe that Ferrari was so down on the straights compared to everybody. That might of been the punishment that was not disclosed by the FIA. Even if the story was said to be bunk maybe not. The FIA did not want all the bad press and decided to punish Ferrari in another way. Who knows but we will find out this sunday.

We will find out the possible order in 3 days and we will have a better picture of the car in 4...
    But I agree. If you don't want to punish a team with a fine, you can always apply an artificial restriction so they end the1 championship in a far worse position than usual...

Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    Oh dear. Here we go again.
    Oh dear, truth hurts.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by tpe View Post
    I will tell you why.
    Yes, it could easily be a conspiracy theory, but since FIA is cryptic it'sa theory anyway.

Because, RB threaten to quit the sport, so, they changed not one but two rules in order to keep them in. And of course they have a big opportunity to Honda to leave with at least a decent year if not a championship.
    Believe me when I tell you this, you will -not- find a conspiracy theorist in me :D
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by tpe View Post
    We will find out the possible order in 3 days and we will have a better picture of the car in 4...
    But I agree. If you don't want to punish a team with a fine, you can always apply an artificial restriction so they end the1 championship in a far worse position than usual...
    That is true for the Ferrari works team, but why punish the other two teams that ran its engines?? They had no say in this, they were just using their engines....why couldn’t they use the engines to its maximum last season?

That is true for the Ferrari works team, but why punish the other two teams that ran its engines?? They had no say in this, they were just using their engines....why couldn’t they use the engines to its maximum last season?
    That's not the FIA's problem. It's Ferrari's problem.
    "I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance." - Michael Schumacher

Exactly.
    It hurt Ferrari even more.
    And we don't kno6the extend of compensation that might be paid. We don't know how close where3the other teams to sign with a another manufacturer etc.

None of the other teams was going anywhere. If Alfa went to Renault they would lose their Alfa sponsorship plus all the Ferrari staff working there. Same goes for Haas. They rely on Ferrari for most of their car and its highly doubtful if any other manufacturer has the resources to staff Haas like Ferrari is doing.

The teams aren't going as you say for sure. The flipping drivers over to other teams Seb, Perez, Sainz, Alonso signing back with F-1 almost feels like the teams are not the same as the year before, just the same name. Which I believe is great for the sport. It's a little tough decision wise when your a favorite driver fan or a favorite team fan. Do you stay or go with your favorite driver and his new team?
    Last edited by Brembo; 24th March 2021 at 23:12.

I actually think the new nose is quite handsome

Quote Originally Posted by From Treviso View Post
    I actually think the new nose is quite handsome
    Depends on the angle 😊

I think Ferrari have done a good job with the nose. Here are the nose and the FW:

pretty or ugly, I just hope it really helps the car's performance, but who nose...

Today's performance definitely has me more optimistic for tracks dependent on corner speed. Compared to AT and McLaren, Leclerc was really fast in the mid. Imola and Barcelona are a lot more dependent on those factors.

What is even more important.
    Only a few corrections on the steering wheel. The car is much better from last year's car. Let's see if they can improve it a bit until Barcelona.

From F1AT

Conservative Ferrari in Bahrain, that's why the gap could narrow

After Australia's slippage far ahead (in November), the Bahrain Grand Prix at the end of March was really eagerly awaited .

It didn't disappoint and it certainly wasn't boring .

Having tested the cars (very briefly) on the same circuit gave a rough idea of ​​what we might have expected on the first date. In fact, the race weekend could only become a natural extension of the winter tests. It was basically like that.

Dwelling on Ferrari, which from the data in our possession, concerning the simulations, we had placed between 6 'and 8' in the race simulation , we can see that decisive step forward defined by Binotto "in all areas" .

Nonetheless, the SF21 was able to run with a configuration of heavily loaded wings but, as I understand it, still not in the ideal way .

However, more than Alpha Tauri which was a direct rival, and even Alfa Romeo which has the same engine. All in all, the pace was decent while Qualifying went better. On the fast lap, the good initial balance gave the drivers confidence, in particular Leclerc, who gradually brought the limit very high, arriving with the lights off.

It is true that in 2020 we have seen some miracles of Charles, but in a different situation that is of continuous emergency and in any case not in Bahrain, where he too admits that he does not like the layout and the degradation curve of the asphalt too much.

At Maranello they managed to optimize many areas of the car which, of course, cannot be perfect, but which is not yet fully completed. In a certain sense it is as if we were halfway through the test, it should be further roughened starting with some measures planned for Imola. This is true in general, so we cannot say that the recovery progression will continue to be the same for everyone. Much less for Ferrari. The values ​​could settle maximum within two months after which each team will go on with what it has and it will be small differences dictated by the track, by the drivers in relation to driving preferences, by the work of the engineers.

Returning to Sakhir, Ferrari seems to have wanted (or had to) keep some HP at rest for an apparently cautious choice regarding reliability. He could have extracted further performance (0 ”15) from the PU setup and tuning on a track where this aspect is the most incisive.

Between Friday and Saturday the balance was adjusted by opting for a slight reduction of the wing, sacrificing a bit the race pace in order not to stress (for now) the engine (including the hybrid part).

The SF21 (even with Alfa, which having a very efficient car defended itself well in terms of top speeds) is the car that suffered the most from clipping in the last 200 full-throttle meters of the main straight . Then Mercedes. Red Bull much less. Defending itself very well in the other two straights.

Of the six tenths and a little bit taken from Max Verstappen's RB16B, all cornering, no less than two were accused in the 600-meter snake between the exit of turn 4 and the attack of turn 8.

Ferrari in the tests believed to be about 20 HP from Mercedes (similar to Honda) , 4 tenths in Bahrain, it will be able to increase by 5 HP if it can solve small 'collateral problems' reaching 15 HP of gap. It would be a great result. Unless Mercedes does not quickly solve some small problems with the endothermic of its PU, as mentioned in the analysis last Saturday .

In addition, if it succeeds, it can have a positive effect on the tires by generating 'useful' downforce at the front. When dealing with medium-high load track and changes of direction (like Imola) it is important to allow the riders a certain aggressiveness when entering, which is only possible if the rear axle must be properly balanced.

It is clear that it is not the cure for all ills, because the SF21 has to contend with a frame and front that is inferior to its rivals.

But this would still allow us to respond adequately to the excellent Mclaren and Alpha Tauri, without forgetting Aston Martin (when and if it will arrive), for the fight in the third constructors place.
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Ferrari vice-chairman Piero Ferrari does not believe winning a race in 2021 is “too much to ask for”.

Ferrari VC asking for a race win in 2021

Ferrari vice-chairman Piero Ferrari does not believe winning a race in 2021 is “too much to ask for”.

Over the winter break, the Scuderia made it clear they saw strong gains in the engine department for 2021 and also with their latest challenger, the SF21.

Following a dismal 2020 campaign which saw Ferrari slump to P6 in the Constructors’ Championship, anything less than a vast improvement would have been a disaster.

Fortunately, though, the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix was a success for the Scuderia as Charles Leclerc qualified P4 before going on to finish P6. Carlos Sainz made it a double points finish.

The target for 2021 is P3 in the Constructors’, a goal Ferrari look in contention to achieve, but their vice-chairman Piero would like a race win to show for the new season.

“2021 marks the 70th anniversary of our first Formula 1 victory at the 1951 British Grand Prix when Froilan Gonzalez triumphed at Silverstone,” he told Leo Turrini before the Bahrain Grand Prix.

“Now, I hope to win at least one grand prix in the season that is about to begin in Bahrain. I don’t think I’m asking too much…”

Of course, pressure comes with such expectation, but dealing with pressure comes as part of being at Ferrari.

“We must not be afraid of reality. It must be accepted and if we don’t like it, we must work to change it. Everyone at Ferrari is always under scrutiny, it’s part of our DNA,” Piero continued.

“At Maranello, we are all aware we cannot aspire to the World Championship. But I want to find proof in the 23 races that await us that we understand what was wrong and that we know what to do to get back on top. Of course, the road will be long, the run-up complicated. But we are Ferrari, we have to give a signal.

“Leclerc is young but it is already a guarantee. Sainz is new to us, obviously. I know him less but I know he has fitted in well with the team.

“Do you know his father, Carlos Sainz senior, the rally driver, phoned me? It was very nice, he made history in rallies, now he has a son in a Ferrari. It’s a combination that intrigues me.”

Ferrari’s hopes of returning to the top very much rest on the new 2022 rules when “another Formula 1” will be born, as Piero describes it.

But as well as Ferrari’s own situation, taking a broad view Piero wants Formula 1 to be more “understandable” from 2022.

“In a year, the rules will completely change, it will be another Formula 1. And I hope it is a Formula 1 with more understandable technology, less removed from ordinary people,” he said.

“We have to use the money we spend in racing to have more spectacular races, competitions the general public can understand and get excited about.”

https://www.planetf1.com/news/piero-...race-win-2021/
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    From F1AT

Conservative Ferrari in Bahrain, that's why the gap could narrow

After Australia's slippage far ahead (in November), the Bahrain Grand Prix at the end of March was really eagerly awaited .

It didn't disappoint and it certainly wasn't boring .

Having tested the cars (very briefly) on the same circuit gave a rough idea of ​​what we might have expected on the first date. In fact, the race weekend could only become a natural extension of the winter tests. It was basically like that.

Dwelling on Ferrari, which from the data in our possession, concerning the simulations, we had placed between 6 'and 8' in the race simulation , we can see that decisive step forward defined by Binotto "in all areas" .

Nonetheless, the SF21 was able to run with a configuration of heavily loaded wings but, as I understand it, still not in the ideal way .

However, more than Alpha Tauri which was a direct rival, and even Alfa Romeo which has the same engine. All in all, the pace was decent while Qualifying went better. On the fast lap, the good initial balance gave the drivers confidence, in particular Leclerc, who gradually brought the limit very high, arriving with the lights off.

It is true that in 2020 we have seen some miracles of Charles, but in a different situation that is of continuous emergency and in any case not in Bahrain, where he too admits that he does not like the layout and the degradation curve of the asphalt too much.

At Maranello they managed to optimize many areas of the car which, of course, cannot be perfect, but which is not yet fully completed. In a certain sense it is as if we were halfway through the test, it should be further roughened starting with some measures planned for Imola. This is true in general, so we cannot say that the recovery progression will continue to be the same for everyone. Much less for Ferrari. The values ​​could settle maximum within two months after which each team will go on with what it has and it will be small differences dictated by the track, by the drivers in relation to driving preferences, by the work of the engineers.

Returning to Sakhir, Ferrari seems to have wanted (or had to) keep some HP at rest for an apparently cautious choice regarding reliability. He could have extracted further performance (0 ”15) from the PU setup and tuning on a track where this aspect is the most incisive.

Between Friday and Saturday the balance was adjusted by opting for a slight reduction of the wing, sacrificing a bit the race pace in order not to stress (for now) the engine (including the hybrid part).

The SF21 (even with Alfa, which having a very efficient car defended itself well in terms of top speeds) is the car that suffered the most from clipping in the last 200 full-throttle meters of the main straight . Then Mercedes. Red Bull much less. Defending itself very well in the other two straights.

Of the six tenths and a little bit taken from Max Verstappen's RB16B, all cornering, no less than two were accused in the 600-meter snake between the exit of turn 4 and the attack of turn 8.

Ferrari in the tests believed to be about 20 HP from Mercedes (similar to Honda) , 4 tenths in Bahrain, it will be able to increase by 5 HP if it can solve small 'collateral problems' reaching 15 HP of gap. It would be a great result. Unless Mercedes does not quickly solve some small problems with the endothermic of its PU, as mentioned in the analysis last Saturday .

In addition, if it succeeds, it can have a positive effect on the tires by generating 'useful' downforce at the front. When dealing with medium-high load track and changes of direction (like Imola) it is important to allow the riders a certain aggressiveness when entering, which is only possible if the rear axle must be properly balanced.

It is clear that it is not the cure for all ills, because the SF21 has to contend with a frame and front that is inferior to its rivals.

But this would still allow us to respond adequately to the excellent Mclaren and Alpha Tauri, without forgetting Aston Martin (when and if it will arrive), for the fight in the third constructors place.
    Basically, one way or another, there are issues with the car that need to be resolved if we are to win the midfield battle.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

SmartSelect_20210403-075234_Chrome.jpg
    Comparison of top speed and curve speeds between Leclerc and Hamilton in 2020 and 2021. The progress is evident

Quote Originally Posted by alfa84 View Post
    SmartSelect_20210403-075234_Chrome.jpg
    Comparison of top speed and curve speeds between Leclerc and Hamilton in 2020 and 2021. The progress is evident
    So our car is even slower than last year?

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    So our car is even slower than last year?
    all cars are slower. just compare the pole laps last year and a week ago:

2020 - 1:27.264
    2021 - 1:28.997

hamilton was about 2s slower compared to 2020 and max 1.3s.

ferrari is one of 2 teams that lost less than a second and only team that lost less than 0.6s.

Quote Originally Posted by subfire91 View Post
    all cars are slower. just compare the pole laps last year and a week ago:

2020 - 1:27.264
    2021 - 1:28.997

hamilton was about 2s slower compared to 2020 and max 1.3s.

ferrari is one of 2 teams that lost less than a second and only team that lost less than 0.6s.
    If you put it that way, then things starts to look really good.
    Yes, it was close fight with Mercedes, only 59 sec behind, exciting year ahead.

I am going to stop now.

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    If you put it that way, then things starts to look really good.
    Yes, it was close fight with Mercedes, only 59 sec behind, exciting year ahead.

I am going to stop now.
    i did not say that !. this only shows that we made the biggest leap forward compared to any other team.

last year if you remember we were 2-2.5s per lap slower in race pace than merc and redbull. we were lapped almost every race.

its not all rainbows and unicorns of course but a significance progress was made
    Last edited by subfire91; 3rd April 2021 at 13:36.