Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Formula E Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Wait. There’s a Formula E race going on outside my window. And I didn’t even know
    That was Bernie Sanders on a moped saving energy.

For those interested, the 2019/20 Formula E series starts in Saudi Arabia this Fri/Sat 22/23Nov with a double-header, some of us will be fan-boosting our favourites, it's about time Ferrari showed some interest!

Watched a bit of the F-E this morning for the first time in a long while and I'm not overly impressed with it, "Attack mode" "fan boost" what is it with having to make racing manufactured these days!

Oh and having to have "power management" so basically fuel saving

Christ I'm so grumpy with motorsport these days! (apart from WEC)
    Last edited by 458 Italia; 22nd November 2019 at 15:27.

Quote Originally Posted by 458 Italia View Post
    Watched a bit of the F-E this morning for the first time in a long while and I'm not overly impressed with it, "Attack mode" "fan boost" what is it with having to make racing manufactured these days!

Oh and having to have "power management" so basically fuel saving

Christ I'm so grumpy with motorsport these days! (apart from WEC)
    Agreed, I also watched most of it and share your views on the series with its complicated quali system and variety of novelty modes, presumably there to make the electric racing more interesting and less predictable. The circuits are pretty tight and look like industrial zones, it's difficult to overtake and the coverage I've seen makes it hard to identify drivers with little coverage of those further down the field unless they crash. However, with Porsche and Merc now involved, along with Audi, Nissan, Jaguar and the like, and in view of the current carbon emissions crisis, I'm afraid to say that this is where we're heading for our motorsport thrills. Initially I only tuned in as a Felipe fan but there are Ferrari connections in Sam Bird and James Calado (AF Corse), I wonder if Ferrari will feel inclined to join up sometime in the future when F1 gets even more regulated?

Race 2 of the Diriyah FE double-header was full of drama with plenty of penalties throughout the field, won by Andretti-BMW. Ferrari-connected drivers had mixed fortunes with Sam Bird being punted into the wall and retiring, Felipe Massa got up to P7 but then got a penalty for an incorrect grid position (!) followed by another for speeding in the pitlane serving his first penalty and finishing a rubbish P18. James Calado (AF Corse) managed a creditable P10 in only his second FE start.

Maybe due a few less laps on the real tracks would be the answer . It's as you say hard to know whats going on with every car on top of each other, esp on the turns.

JAMES CALADO SCORES FIRST POINTS FOR PANASONIC JAGUAR RACING IN DIRIYAH, SAUDI ARABIA

Panasonic Jaguar Racing continues points scoring run at round two of 2019/2020 ABB FIA Formula E Championship in Diriyah, Saudi Arabia
    British driver James Calado proved his ability to adapt quickly to the series by finishing P7 after qualifying P21
    Mitch Evans finished P18 after fighting for the podium potentially in the early part of the race
    Panasonic Jaguar Racing will return to the track in Santiago on 18 January 2020

In his second ABB FIA Formula E race James Calado showed great racecraft to move through the field and secure his maiden Formula E points. The Brit, who qualified P21 eventually finished in P7 and picked up six valuable championship points during a hectic Diriyah E-Prix.

In the first lap Calado climbed four places, had to contend with safety cars and frantic restarts but he kept his cool and with post-race penalties applied he finished P7. This is the second race this weekend Panasonic Jaguar Racing has scored points, proving the British racing team’s potential.

Mitch Evans was set for a top 5 race result, battling competitively on track before an incident with Sam Bird left him with damage, forcing him to pit and also take a penalty. A P6 performance in qualifying put Mitch through to his first Super Pole session of season six. He was fourth quickest but received a penalty for a technical infringement and started P6. In a race to forget Evans took the chequered flag in P18.

As a team to start the season scoring points in both races is positive. Seeing James score key points in his second ever Formula E race shows his potential this year despite challenging track conditions. We are disappointed Mitch Evans’ Super Pole qualifying result did not convert to the race result we were looking for after a strong start to the race. The benefit of the doubt didn’t go in our favour with the penalty unfortunately and was a shame because we felt that a podium was well within reach today. We will look forward now and with a number of weeks before Santiago we will carry on developing the Jaguar I-TYPE 4, which we can see has good pace. We will be back next year aiming to secure more points in round three.
    JAMES BARCLAY

PANASONIC JAGUAR RACING TEAM DIRECTOR
    I felt like I had the position before I hit the wall and receiving a penalty for a racing incident with Sam [Bird]. I was looking strong after my qualifying performance, but unfortunately, we didn’t capitalise. The penalty we also received in qualifying after putting the car in P4 in Super Pole pushed us down to P6 on the grid and ultimately left us in a more vulnerable starting position during the race. Now it is time to look forward to the next race in Santiago.
    MITCH EVANS

The championship is very difficult, and I made two critical mistakes before today’s result. I overdrove the car in FP3 which cost me and affected the car’s performance in qualifying, leaving me in a difficult spot on the grid. In the race I made a great start overtaking four cars in the first lap. Generally the pace was good, I capitalised on other drivers’ mistakes and we ended up with valuable points in P7. I’ve learnt a lot in my first Formula E race weekend – more than in testing and the simulator combined – the Jaguar has pace, the team is great and now we look forward to Santiago.
    JAMES CALADO
    Last edited by Rob; 24th November 2019 at 10:05.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Race 2 of the Diriyah FE double-header was full of drama with plenty of penalties throughout the field, won by Andretti-BMW. Ferrari-connected drivers had mixed fortunes with Sam Bird being punted into the wall and retiring, Felipe Massa got up to P7 but then got a penalty for an incorrect grid position (!) followed by another for speeding in the pitlane serving his first penalty and finishing a rubbish P18. James Calado (AF Corse) managed a creditable P10 in only his second FE start.
    Wasntbbad race at all. James drove, really well. Made great first impressions. Been away from single seaters for few years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Wasntbbad race at all. James drove, really well. Made great first impressions. Been away from single seaters for few years now.
    It seems that the final finishing order changed again after penalties had been applied, hadn't realised James got P7 in the end, didn't stop me being disappointed with Sam and Felipe's poor races, but at least Sam won the first round. This series still lacks something for me, though, I think it's the narrowness of the circuits where opportunities to pass mean taking a gamble as much as anything else, but it's certainly unpredictable!

Just checked the updated finishing order and James in P7, Felipe not 18th then 20th as shown in the live broadcast but now P17 after everyone's penalties had been applied. Talk about confusing!!
    Last edited by wisepie; 24th November 2019 at 11:27.

It seems that the final finishing order changed again after penalties had been applied, hadn't realised James got P7 in the end, didn't stop me being disappointed with Sam and Felipe's poor races, but at least Sam won the first round. This series still lacks something for me, though, I think it's the narrowness of the circuits where opportunities to pass mean taking a gamble as much as anything else, but it's certainly unpredictable!

Just checked the updated finishing order and James in P7, Felipe not 18th then 20th as shown in the live broadcast but now P17 after everyone's penalties had been applied. Talk about confusing!!

Still big shame that drivers het penalised after the race. I understand it. But for the greater picture of fans, its not. We saw in Shanghai wec, #51 af corse won then got disqualified.

Formula e will always be street tracks, due too its marketing. They said from day 1 it will never race on proper race tracks as they to many series do that. And wherr the technology is aimed for "cities" is best place to race and showcase the series and technology. But. Its srill not drawing in the crowds, the tracks do like bland and, like building sites.

This is pretty class from Formula-E

I've been watching all of the Jelle's marble races since there's been no sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D-FHaaShvM

This is pretty class from Formula-E

I've been watching all of the Jelle's marble races since there's been no sport.
    I couldn't believe this was happening and thought I'd lost my marbles.....how crazy is this year's motorsport/ballsport going to get? Happy to see Venturi in 2nd place and I'll pretend it's Felipe's car! He would be chuffed.

Marbula-E round 2

I think Jack Nicholls is really getting into it I'm glad they brought the voice of marbles Greg Woods back as well.

https://youtu.be/_xLOLGfFA5E

Jack Nicholls had started to marbles as real entities!

It's annoying how even with marbles Merc gets everything going their way.

I know the real event with actual cars is back but I still love this!

I've tried watching this series again this week with all the races they've had in Berlin over the week and I still don't find it at all appealing for many reasons I'd poster further up the page.

Oh and the noise the cars make is so annoying! it's really grating! They almost make the current F1 cars sound good

Will say that Sam Bird really well in the last race. But I think I'll stick to the marble racing.

I've tried watching this series again this week with all the races they've had in Berlin over the week and I still don't find it at all appealing for many reasons I'd poster further up the page.

Oh and the noise the cars make is so annoying! it's really grating! They almost make the current F1 cars sound good

Will say that Sam Bird really well in the last race. But I think I'll stick to the marble racing.
    I tried to watch it again, but just couldn't do it... Trying to get excited over electric cars racing in a supermarket car park doesn't work for me. WEC is nonsense thanks to BoP. F2 has been catching my interest recently though as a good portion of the grid are Ferrari juniors.

I have gotten to it and it is cool.
    Very good for any kind of work thrown to it.
    Last edited by NickSaggy; 18th April 2022 at 16:16.

FE season gets under way this weekend, I still struggle to get excited about it but will support Antonio Giovinazzi and hope that some success will come his way. It won't be easy but he deserves a break.

First FE race is done and what a surprise it was a Merc 1-2 with De Vries and Vandoorne, GIO did manage to finish on his debut but sadly only P20! But it's a start, his teammate Sette Camara came P15.

Race 2 now done and it didn't get any better for GIO, P21 out of 22! Hope he doesn't get too disheartened. Race won by Edoardo Mortara in the Rokit Venturi, Felipe's old team. Sod's law they're now winning!

GIO on the grid in Rome for the FE race this weekend, I wish him luck but I just can't get excited about this formula, especially when there's an F1 race in OZ. Hope Ferrari don't need GIO's sim work over the weekend!

I don’t get what all the buzz is about.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Nor me, GIO did at least manage to finish in P18, another round tomorrow. I really can't get much enthusiasm for this series either, only following it for Antonio.

For what it's worth, and I didn't watch it, GIO's car failure caused a SC interlude and he'd have been better off watching Charles win in Melbourne! Poor GIO, feel sorry for him!

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Apologies for the rolling eyes, google was having a wobbler and wouldn't let me delete them, or maybe it's just me and my take on FE?!

Apologies for the rolling eyes, google was having a wobbler and wouldn't let me delete them, or maybe it's just me and my take on FE?!
    Not a problem, fratello.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus