Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Miami GP - Race Thread

I think we will be faster than RB in Barcelona even without Updates. The track better for us.

But need to be strong performance like Australia

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    ��️ | Binotto on the upgrades for Barcelona:

"We have been focusing on this package since the beginning of the season, we know that if it works well it is a good package".

�� Charles Leclerc hopes the Barcelona package will allow the Ferrari F1-75 to be much faster!

"The upgrades will be very important throughout the year. And hopefully we can make a good step forward from the next race."

(autosport)
    That’s encouraging. I hope it puts us clear ahead of RB.

I’m other news. Remember when Hamilton took the neon green T bar because wanted be cool and “different”, and not because he was the #2 driver? Well fate certainly has a sense of humor, cause he’s looking like the #2 driver now.
    At least we don’t have to see “Hammer time” which was basically turning up the engine.
    Last edited by SFTifoso; 8th May 2022 at 23:21.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    According to the articles, ferrari didn’t use new RW. Also it’s not about PU.
    Ferrari carrying more drag & RB doesn’t. That’s the issue.
    That's even more concerning. Why didn't we use the new RW? Was it not working? We the data incorrect? It doesn't make sense to backtrack on the RW especially after being thoroughly beaten in the last race. As for the PU, it is supposed to help overcome the drag.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    There was no upgraded RW. Ferrari brought a track-spec low drag RW which they didn't use.

Since we can't run as low as the RB, we need the high DF RW.
    So already we're bringing upgrades and then not using them??? Why not???
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    You can’t win races if your dog crap slow on the straights in the era of DRS.
    This. Porpoising isn't the worst problem, it's the straight line speed.

Ferrari are simply in denial that they've got a serious flaw design in the F175 in its straight line speed. It might be nimble, it might have good downforce, but it has rear drag that Red Bull will eat its lunch in every grand prix except Monaco. Being 5-6mph down from Red Bull routinely is awful. Not something the drivers can just make up for. Flashbacks of the issues we used to have with Mercedes, when they just drove by us on the straights. Red Bull had straight line problems last year, and it almost cost them the championship.

Quote Originally Posted by SFTifoso View Post
    That’s encouraging. I hope it puts us clear ahead of RB.

I’m other news. Remember when Hamilton took the neon green T bar because wanted be cool and “different”, and not because he was the #2 driver? Well fate certainly has a sense of humor, cause he’s looking like the #2 driver now.
    At least we don’t have to see “Hammer time” which was basically turning up the engine.
    Hamilton is demonstrating what many of us said all along. He's a clumsy driver without the killer car and engine. His dominance was a paper tiger like Vettel, and has now been proven as such.

You can hear the anger in Hamilton's voice that Russel is simply eating his lunch and showing it's been the car all along. Give it a few more races, and he'll be crashing into people.

Do you think that redbull do not expect a stronger ferrari moving foward they know its coming now the question is how hard can it go.In my humble opinion redbull have played most or all of there development package for this year only minor things left.With a disastrous start to the season and max barking they went full tilt to close the gap now they have edged ahead.Ferrari will leap frog redbull again and on it goes until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by RossTheBoss View Post
    Hamilton is demonstrating what many of us said all along. He's a clumsy driver without the killer car and engine. His dominance was a paper tiger like Vettel, and has now been proven as such.

You can hear the anger in Hamilton's voice that Russel is simply eating his lunch and showing it's been the car all along. Give it a few more races, and he'll be crashing into people.
    Hopefully he crashes into RB and not us. But not to throw out conspiracy theories, but it was so strange that Russell’s car was fast in practice and then it wasn’t in qualifying. Could he be getting the Bottas treatment? We will never know. I do know was Hamilton was constantly smoking that right front in turn 17, and then gets on the radio to complain about tires. While Russell is like “let’s wait for a safety car”.

Well no one said it was going to be easy but I have confidence that we will be in it at the end. The Barcelona package is going to show if we can keep up with the Bulls straight line speed or at least get close to it that's all we need actually.
    We are missing that tenth or two in race pace. Hopefully in Barcelona and Monaco, we are going to have the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by TTRSMAD View Post
    Well no one said it was going to be easy but I have confidence that we will be in it at the end. The Barcelona package is going to show if we can keep up with the Bulls straight line speed or at least get close to it that's all we need actually.
    We are missing that tenth or two in race pace. Hopefully in Barcelona and Monaco, we are going to have the edge.
    Those are back to back races (no week in between). Hopefully we get back to back 1-2s. I would love to see each of our drivers win their home GP, but Carlos not there yet.

There should be a new floor and sidepods in Barcelona. We'll have to see what that does for race pace. Thing is, you know Red Bull are not just going to bring nothing, so this upgrade really has bring it. Otherwise Red Bull's edge will be too much to overcome.

Why shouldn’t it be easy? It was pretty damn easy for Merc from 2014 to 2020.

Why shouldn’t it be easy for Ferrari?

I am all in for being easy but it's not on the cards with a team who as Adrian Newey as chief designer. He has flopped a couple of cars but not this one.

Situation like Mercedes does happen often and we can't compare. Mercedes advantage was created by teams like Ferrari that allowed it to happen. The foresight to see the rotten advantage Mercedes was given for returning to Formula 1
    by allowing the v6 turbo hybrid.

Don't worry it's a long season and keep positive. Eventually it will go our way, reliability, budget might come into play. The Bulls will run out of budget cap IF respected.

Several differences.

When the regulations went to hybrid, it wasn't so much that Mercedes were brilliant, as it was Ferrari, Renault, Red Bull, and Honda all dropped the ball, horribly. There were then restrictions in development that catching up to them in the PU department almost impossible. They didn't get any real competition until 17', and then they showed they had reserve the development to still outpace Ferrari in 17' and 18'. Then in 19' Ferrari were punished for exploiting a grey area of the rules, and that took us out. It was until Honda got their **** together, that Red Bull were able to challenge them, and boy did Mercedes show how unglued they can become under pressure. I give Red Bull credit for taking them down.

Lets also not forget the FIA tolerance for Mercedes doing clearly illegal tests, flex wings that were allowed (and still allowed), DAS, burning oil. It helps them politically that they have Hamilton, too. The stewards love affair with Hamilton has helped many rulings go Mercedes way.

This year, Red Bull got the new regulations just as right as we did.

Several differences.

When the regulations went to hybrid, it wasn't so much that Mercedes were brilliant, as it was Ferrari, Renault, Red Bull, and Honda all dropped the ball, horribly. There were then restrictions in development that made catching up to them in the PU department almost impossible. They didn't get any real competition until 17', and then they showed they had reserve the development to still outpace Ferrari in 17' and 18'. Then in 19' Ferrari were punished for exploiting a grey area of the rules, and that took us out. It was until Honda got their **** together, that Red Bull were able to challenge them, and boy did Mercedes show how unglued they can become under pressure. I give Red Bull credit for taking them down.

Lets also not forget the FIA tolerance for Mercedes doing clearly illegal tests, flex wings that were allowed (and still allowed), DAS, burning oil. It helps them politically that they have Hamilton, too. The stewards love affair with Hamilton has helped many rulings go Mercedes way.

Several differences.

When the regulations went to hybrid, it wasn't so much that Mercedes were brilliant, as it was Ferrari, Renault, Red Bull, and Honda all dropped the ball, horribly. There were then restrictions in development that made catching up to them in the PU department almost impossible. They didn't get any real competition until 17', and then they showed they had reserve the development to still outpace Ferrari in 17' and 18'. Then in 19' Ferrari were punished for exploiting a grey area of the rules, and that took us out. It was until Honda got their **** together, that Red Bull were able to challenge them, and boy did Mercedes show how unglued they can become under pressure. I give Red Bull credit for taking them down.

Let’s hope we don’t see Mercedes sniff another championship any time soon. Or at least I hope they keep the cars equal so Russell can keep exposing Hamilton.

I don't understand why we have not brought specific track related aerodinamical spec. We have the same spec for low DF track and high DF track

The problem is NOT straight lime speed by it self. Surprisingly we had problems in traction zones. Lec couldn't keep up with Ves in the twisty S and the left handed before the straight and then on the last left handed before the finish line!!! He was closing on speed in the end of the straights but every time he had to start the chase with 0,65 to 0,8 gap!!!! That wasn't enough. Ves also couldn't pass with that difference at the beginning. When he made the pass he had so good traction at the last left handed that he was on Lecs diffuser from the beginning and easily pass him with DRS on the straight.
    Lec himself mentioned the unexpected problem in the slow corners. This and the worst tire management. We had the pure performance (lec was posting FL from time to time and Ves FL was like 1 tenth faster not more) but we couldn't keep it for long because we would destroy the tires. IF we could solve this problems with the upgrades (and add some performance) I wouldn't care so much about straight line speed !!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    The problem is NOT straight lime speed by it self. Surprisingly we had problems in traction zones. Lec couldn't keep up with Ves in the twisty S and the left handed before the straight and then on the last left handed before the finish line!!! He was closing on speed in the end of the straights but every time he had to start the chase with 0,65 to 0,8 gap!!!! That wasn't enough. Ves also couldn't pass with that difference at the beginning. When he made the pass he had so good traction at the last left handed that he was on Lecs diffuser from the beginning and easily pass him with DRS on the straight.
    Lec himself mentioned the unexpected problem in the slow corners. This and the worst tire management. We had the pure performance (lec was posting FL from time to time and Ves FL was like 1 tenth faster not more) but we couldn't keep it for long because we would destroy the tires. IF we could solve this problems with the upgrades (and add some performance) I wouldn't care so much about straight line speed !!!
    Yes correct. It’s been two races (Imola & Miami) where we struggled with Tyre management
    Interestingly Leclerc mentioning he loosing speed around the corners. Which was our strong zone. I assume it’s down to hard suspension which they have gone for this race. I may be wrong.

Expecting ferrari to bounce back hard & brining the pace back similar to Australia.

Several differences.

Agree with everything. Just making light of the bolded area.

When Honda came in in 2015 with Mclaren, Mclaren had their size zero concept (ended in 2017). Both Honda and Mclaren were bumping heads i.e. Honda spent over 66 PU's for the whole 3 seasons it was with Mclaren (not including the ones that got bench tested). So initially, Mclaren and Honda were at odds with each other so they split and Mclaren went with Renault.

It was when Toro Rosso (now Alpha Tauri) picked up Honda that the marriage was made in heaven. Alpha Tauri went with the mindset early on, you (Honda) buld the engine how you see fit and we (Toro Rosso) will build our car around the Honda engine.
    It worked the first year and then RedBull picked up Honda the following year...and the rest is history.

Honda was the laughing stock on the grid when they first came into F1. Their engine was like the plague. Now, things are quite different. One thing about the Japanese mind set that I have learned, they never quit and in this case with regards to Honda, they faced humiliation in the F1 world rather than quit and head back to Japan to face utter failure which is a no-no in the Japanese culture.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

i dont know how to put my disappointment in the right way, but apparently, the advantage during the early part of the season is evaporated, due to the upgrade brought by RBR and most importantly how the team react.

they had the opportunity on a silver platter with 2 DNF from max, and yet the team can't keep the advantage, at least till Miami.

I don't know what's in Binotto's mind, or maybe he and the team are well known about the potential of this year car and just waiting for the right moment to unlock it to its highest potential, and more updates waiting on the pipeline.

As much as like like and support Charles, last year's battle has taken Max at another level, he is driving in a different league

It is 23 races long season. Every point counts. Double podium with 2nd and 3rd is really not bad result. We all preferred win, but Ferrari lacks straight line speed. Next two races are crucial. Those two needs to be Ferrari (CL) wins, with CS preferably 2nd in both occasions!

a double podium is OK, but we were lucky that Perez was off the pace. He was driving the fastest car, yet couldn't really challenge Sainz even when he had full power. Had he been quicker, he could have overtaken Sainz in the early part of the race and likely ended up on the podium.

Quote Originally Posted by Yovan View Post
    i dont know how to put my disappointment in the right way, but apparently, the advantage during the early part of the season is evaporated, due to the upgrade brought by RBR and most importantly how the team react.

they had the opportunity on a silver platter with 2 DNF from max, and yet the team can't keep the advantage, at least till Miami.

I don't know what's in Binotto's mind, or maybe he and the team are well known about the potential of this year car and just waiting for the right moment to unlock it to its highest potential, and more updates waiting on the pipeline.
    Here's my take with regards to RedBulls upgrade spending vs Ferrari's upgrade spending. RedBull currently is the rabbit in the race. They're spending like crazy to keep up with Ferrari while depleting their budget cap. Ferrari are cautiously waiting by the sidelines with very little upgrades and keeping their budget cap in the balance of a 23 race season. I would the same mindset is at Mercedes as well. So, we could see a strong resurgence with Ferrari thourghout the season.....and possibly Mercedes as well while RedBull slowly wains and falls short due to their spending way too early because of the budget cap. That's my take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    a double podium is OK, but we were lucky that Perez was off the pace. He was driving the fastest car, yet couldn't really challenge Sainz even when he had full power. Had he been quicker, he could have overtaken Sainz in the early part of the race and likely ended up on the podium.
    Or Perez could have overtaken Sainz after the Norris-Gasly incident when Perez switched to medioum IF Perez had his normal engine mode instead of having a 25hp deficit.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Or Perez could have overtaken Sainz after the Norris-Gasly incident when Perez switched to medioum IF Perez had his normal engine mode instead of having a 25hp deficit.
    he was off the pace, that's the point I'm making.

Another bad weekend. Running a higher downforce wing and still experiencing worse tyre deg, getting overtaken and failing to overtake back makes it even worse. Failing to put pressure on them during the safety car period with a pit stop was the icing on the cake. So passive.

Unless the vmax and tyre Deg differential can be addressed with the next upgrade, they'll lose the lead and won't get it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    he was off the pace, that's the point I'm making.
    Off of who's pace.....Max or Lecler??? Of course he was off their pace.....everyone was. Perez is the king of tire management so he just stays behind to manage his tires because he plays the long game with tire strategy.....against Sainz. Once he switched to mediums after the SC, had Perez had his normal engine mode, he would have overtaken Sainz....but no where near the pace of Max or Leclerc.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Off of who's pace.....Max or Lecler??? Of course he was off their pace.....everyone was. Perez is the king of tire management so he just stays behind to manage his tires because he plays the long game with tire strategy.....against Sainz. Once he switched to mediums after the SC, had Perez had his normal engine mode, he would have overtaken Sainz....but no where near the pace of Max or Leclerc.
    he was off Sainz pace even with full power...