Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fernando Alonso to retire from Formula 1 at end of 2018 season

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    If their current established driver can leave them and take a sideway step to Renault, what makes you think Alonso would want to join them, especially when he has seen Honda’s progress first hand. You are free to believe whoever you want, but I can never trust Horner even if he is last man alive
    First of all Honda would never have him back with them after all the public criticism he has made of them, and as you can see mcclaren still at the back of the pack now with Renault, and what makes me think he would want to join red bull? Because all he wants to do is win again in F1, and if he had that chance as he himself said, he would take it instead of leaving the sport

Quote Originally Posted by T99 View Post
    First of all Honda would never have him back with them after all the public criticism he has made of them, and as you can see mcclaren still at the back of the pack now with Renault, and what makes me think he would want to join red bull? Because all he wants to do is win again in F1, and if he had that chance as he himself said, he would take it instead of leaving the sport
    Is RedBull winning? Do you see them winning in next two years? The F1 that I’m watching, I can see only two teams or two drivers winning

Is RedBull winning? Do you see them winning in next two years? The F1 that I’m watching, I can see only two teams or two drivers winning
    If Red Bull offered Alonso a seat for 2019 he would have taken it. Red Bull has won races and is at least a top 3 team. I can't see Red Bull wanting to pair Alonso with Max. Would make Hamilton and Rosberg look like a small lovers spat.

When I said winning I was talking about winning races..

Fernando Alonso to retire from Formula 1 at end of 2018 season

When I said winning I was talking about winning races..
    He’s not interested in that, was winning races with Ferrari also, he was targeting Championships, obviously things went horribly wrong for him.

As much as I like him but truth is, whatever he can say he doesn’t regret leaving Ferrari, I’m sure he does. ‘Personally’ (and I don’t want any Seb fanboy to take it personally), I think he would’ve wrapped up titles in last year & this year’s Ferrari. His decision made sense at that time, in hindsight it has been a terrible call

He’s not interested in that, was winning races with Ferrari also, he was targeting Championships, obviously things went horribly wrong for him.

As much as I like him but truth is, whatever he can say he doesn’t regret leaving Ferrari, I’m sure he does. ‘Personally’ (and I don’t want any Seb fanboy to take it personally), I think he would’ve wrapped up titles in last year & this year’s Ferrari. His decision made sense at that time, in hindsight it has been a terrible call
    The way his career has gone downhill in the past 5 years, I think he would take a seat in a car just capable of winning races

Alonso's biggest problem is the lack of patience combined with the politics. Back in 2014 when Ferrari wasn't very competitive Alonso decided to leave. Räikkönen with much worse results gave positive comments that Ferrari will come back. Vettel was brought in to replace Alonso and the results came back after two more harsh years.

If you got the Ferrari seat stick with the Ferrari seat.

Regarding this opinion of some members who really regret Alonso and consider that he will do wonders in last year Ferrari.

Of course we'll never know. My personal opinion is that it's far from that and, compared to what Vettel achieved, probably it would have been better at some tracks and worse on others.
    So, pretty close, overall. I believe Vettel did extremely good in his Ferrari years, I am very happy with him. I'm not a fanboy, I hated the guy when he beat Ferrari/Alonso in all those years but I knew, I always knew it was not only the car!! It's really hilarious when someone compares RB car from 2010-2013 with last years Mercedes.

Coming back to Alonso, he find himself again in a sort of a scandal with C. Horner, about a contract offer Alonso supposedly received but publicly denied by Horner.
    After leaving (or beeing force to leave) Ferrari, Alonso really lost a lot of my respect and I am happy that we have Vettel now (who would have believed this in 2012 ?!).

I am not taking Seb's side, but I really believe no one on the current grid, would have won the title with last year's Ferrari. As for Fred I am not a fan. I know he has great speed but lacks team effort and I believe that is how we caught Mercedes, with great team spirit. Seb, Kimi and Ferrari have worked together and did it

He’s not interested in that, was winning raceos with Ferrari also, he was targeting Championships, obviously things went horribly wrong for him.

Merc was the superior car last, we were better at certain tracks (Monaco, Hungary, Singapore ) but they were too few compared to Merc tracks and with bigger lap time differences. Bottas was 0.045 sec away at Ferrari track Monaco :) Add to this the bad reliability we had...

Alonso couldn't handle a rookie in the same car, he wouldn't have handled a much experienced Lewis in a better car. I believe to think otherwise is just an Alonso fan's fantasy.

The people who are managing the top teams are not idiots. Certainly not Sergio Marchionne. Kimi was out of contract last year and the year before. Why not pick up the guy who would have wrapped up the last year's and this year's title? Nobody of course believes in this. RBR have one of it's drivers leaving this year, yet doesn't consider Alonso. These speak volumes...

The way his career has gone downhill in the past 5 years, I think he would take a seat in a car just capable of winning races
    I really don’t think so, at his age & 309 entires, with two titles under the belt, winning just odd races would not mean much to him, of course you think differently

Quote Originally Posted by DelMar View Post

The people who are managing the top teams are not idiots. Certainly not Sergio Marchionne. Kimi was out of contract last year and the year before. Why not pick up the guy who would have wrapped up the last year's and this year's title? Nobody of course believes in this. RBR have one of it's drivers leaving this year, yet doesn't consider Alonso. These speak volumes...

Ferrari and Mercedes want lapdogs to support their main driver, they will never hire Alonso, the same way they didn't hire Ricciardo, or is Ricciardo not teamplayer?, is Ricciardo toxic?, XD

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom Hearts View Post
    Ferrari and Mercedes want lapdogs to support their main driver, they will never hire Alonso, the same way they didn't hire Ricciardo, or is Ricciardo not teamplayer?, is Ricciardo toxic?, XD
    There has been openings in the last few years again and again at Merc, Ferrari and RBR:
    Rosberg retirement.
    Bottas on year by year contracts.
    Kimi on year by year contracts.
    Kvyat out, now Ricciardo out.

Yet no one really wanted to bring the guy "who would have wrapped up this year and last year's title" Right... These people running the teams should be in the lowest %10 percentile in terms of intelligence in the society.

There has been openings in the last few years again and again at Merc, Ferrari and RBR:
    Rosberg retirement.
    Bottas on year by year contracts.
    Kimi on year by year contracts.
    Kvyat out, now Ricciardo out.

Yet no one really wanted to bring the guy "who would have wrapped up this year and last year's title" Right... These people running the teams should be in the lowest %10 percentile in terms of intelligence in the society.

You really don't get the part where they will never put Alonso alongside Hamilton or Vettel, isn't it?, they don't want two top driver together. You sound bitter, chill, Alonso didn't stole your girlfriend or scratch your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom Hearts View Post
    You really don't get the part where they will never put Alonso alongside Hamilton or Vettel, isn't it?, they don't want two top driver together. You sound bitter, chill, Alonso didn't stole your girlfriend or scratch your car.
    Ferrari paid Kimi $51 million dollars at the end of 2009 to terminate him (not to drive :) and sign Alonso. in 2006 they signed Kimi and Micheal pretty much had to retire.

What you don't get is that the teams' purpose are not to entertain the whims and desires of their drivers but to win, PERIOD. Ferrari sacked couple of top engineering guys which went to the rival team. If the team management believes there is a better guy that would bring the championship, they will not hesitate to get it. If that requires sacking the current driver, so be it.

No sane management will forsake a clear path to victory, if they will believe there is one. The reason the top teams don't even consider Alonso is that they don't believe it will improve their chances, on the contrary they believe it will be make it worse due to the character and attitude of Alonso.

they will not hesitate to get it. If that requires sacking the current driver, so be it.
    Yeah that's why they keep Kimi in the team and don't hire Ricciardo, because Ricciardo is not better than Kimi. The same goes for Bottas, because we all know Ricciardo is worst than Bottas, give me a break.
    Last edited by Kingdom Hearts; 26th August 2018 at 12:39.

Your forgetting that ex. Ferrari has #1,#2 drivers. That is a little bit catering to the #1 driver, IMO allot not a little. To win period would be to have if ever available say the two top drivers on the same team fighting to win WDC and more important score as many WCC points. Ferrari wise, "It ain't gonna happen!". Seb not only Alonso thinks #1, #2 driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Lega Verde View Post
    Alonso's biggest problem is the lack of patience combined with the politics. Back in 2014 when Ferrari wasn't very competitive Alonso decided to leave. Räikkönen with much worse results gave positive comments that Ferrari will come back. Vettel was brought in to replace Alonso and the results came back after two more harsh years.

If you got the Ferrari seat stick with the Ferrari seat.
    you make it sound like Alonso gave Ferrari only one season to prove themselves and all the cars before 2014 were brilliant. and Kimi stays there because he knows very well that not a single team is ready to pay for his joy to drive that much money
    not gonna change my profile picture

CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Katu View Post
    you make it sound like Alonso gave Ferrari only one season to prove themselves and all the cars before 2014 were brilliant. and Kimi stays there because he knows very well that not a single team is ready to pay for his joy to drive that much money
    Alonso got the benefit to fight for the championship on his first year on Ferrari. That is something that true Ferrari legend Schumacher didn't have.

His third year was a close one as well. Only three points behind the Vettel. Schumi's Ferrari was finally very competitive on his third year back in 1998. He missed the WDC on the last race.

He was three times second and once a fourth during V8 era on Ferrari. These are solid results. His inpatience showed during the first hybrid year. Because of the bad results he shifted to McLaren Honda and the rest is history. McLaren is in ruins, Honda now with Toro Rosso is finally showing some promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Katu View Post
    Ferrari has nothing to prove to noone. Ferrari is Ferrari and it's the privilege of drivers, Alonso not excluded to work for the team.

Whoever has not realized that, find themselves at the wrong end of the equation, Prost included.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Ferrari has nothing to prove to noone. Ferrari is Ferrari and it's the privilege of drivers, Alonso not excluded to work for the team.

Whoever has not realized that, find themselves at the wrong end of the equation, Prost included.
    Alain Prost was wrong in 1991. But everyone is allowed to make one mistake in life. One mistake should be forgotten. Afterall his 1990 season is probably the best Ferrari season ever. Alain Prost is still probably the greatest racing driver ever born. That's my opinion.

Alonso's exit is all Briatore's fault. That sly Italian cheat kept giving him a bad reputation by bad mouthing ex teams (Ferrari / McLaren / Renault included). Alonso's attitude and trying to be funny on the radio didn't help either. Shows lack of professionalism if you ask me but Briatore moulded him into having this "I am the best" attitude. Winning in F1 is never just the driver, it's an overall package so if there is no harmony within a team there will be no wins / titles.

and NO, Alonso would have not won in last years' Ferrari as he would have the team in shambles by that time. Ferrari took an upwards turn as soon as he was gone and a few other engineers from his era. One great thing Sergio did and believed in.

P.S. I like Alonso and am in no way diminishing his skill value. He is up there when it comes to aggressive overtaking with the likes of Daniel Riccardo imo. As a driver in a team unfortunately he is too much to handle and it is unfair the way he bad mouths everyone to look good.
    Last edited by WRX202; 27th August 2018 at 10:47.

Quote Originally Posted by 512 TR View Post
    Alain Prost was wrong in 1991. But everyone is allowed to make one mistake in life. One mistake should be forgotten. Afterall his 1990 season is probably the best Ferrari season ever. Alain Prost is still probably the greatest racing driver ever born. That's my opinion.
    I love Prost myself, but he should not have spoken the way he did bout the car. And that's why he was sacked.
    One should think of Gilles and the cars he (sometimes) had to drive and yet...
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by WRX202 View Post
    Alonso's exit is all Briatore's fault. That sly Italian cheat kept giving him a bad reputation by bad mouthing ex teams (Ferrari / McLaren / Renault included). Alonso's attitude and trying to be funny on the radio didn't help either. Shows lack of professionalism if you ask me but Briatore moulded him into having this "I am the best" attitude. Winning in F1 is never just the driver, it's an overall package so if there is no harmony within a team there will be no wins / titles.

and NO, Alonso would have not won in last years' Ferrari as he would have the team in shambles by that time. Ferrari took an upwards turn as soon as he was gone and a few other engineers from his era. One great thing Sergio did and believed in.

P.S. I like Alonso and am in no way diminishing his skill value. He is up there when it comes to aggressive overtaking with the likes of Daniel Riccardo imo. As a driver in a team unfortunately he is too much to handle and it is unfair the way he bad mouths everyone to look good.
    Could not have said it better myself !

That "Sly Italian" is a multi billionaire! BTW what's wrong with being Italian? Flavio way back helped get Schumy going in F1 .

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    That "Sly Italian" is a multi billionaire! BTW what's wrong with being Italian? Flavio way back helped get Schumy going in F1 .
    Trust me nothing is wrong with being Italian, my father is Italian and hence half of my family is. I'm just stating facts (he is Italian after all) He is a billionaire yes always on the headlines for tax evasion and shady deals. Having helped Schumi is nice of course but only cause he saw a business opportunity like every manager in the sport. Flavio himself admitted his satisfaction was double when Alonso won coz he took the title away from Ferrari and Michael (sort of revenge). But anyways, he is no good. Got banned for making one of his drivers crash (for heavens sake how low can one go?!) to grant Alonso a win. With that attitude no wonder Alonso had to carry such a dark label on his back.

Quote Originally Posted by WRX202 View Post
    Trust me nothing is wrong with being Italian, my father is Italian and hence half of my family is. I'm just stating facts (he is Italian after all) He is a billionaire yes always on the headlines for tax evasion and shady deals. Having helped Schumi is nice of course but only cause he saw a business opportunity like every manager in the sport. Flavio himself admitted his satisfaction was double when Alonso won coz he took the title away from Ferrari and Michael (sort of revenge). But anyways, he is no good. Got banned for making one of his drivers crash (for heavens sake how low can one go?!) to grant Alonso a win. With that attitude no wonder Alonso had to carry such a dark label on his back.

https://www.grandprix247.com/2018/08...onso-for-2019/

Despite denials from Red Bull team principal Christian Horner, Alonso insists he was offered a spot with the energy drinks outfit after Daniel Ricciardo defected to Renault.

But apart from Red Bull’s alleged offer, Alonso claimed, “I did refuse four or five offers. I don’t think that my targets or my challenges for next year were any more in Formula One at this point.”

“The offers that I had, including that one, they were not for winning because they are probably all the offers that I had on performance, they are more than one second away from pole position.”

If he was referring to Renault, then he was way off the mark.

When asked by Crash if Alonso was ever on their radar, the French team’s chief Cyril Abiteboul replied, “Frankly, despite the fact that I have huge respect for Fernando, who is probably one of the best drivers in the world, the answer is no.”

“We could feel that he is at the point in his career where he wants a car that is immediately capable of going in for wins. That’s what he’s expecting, or there is going to be more frustration.”

“We are not in that position. We need to have drivers who can understand the project, who can buy into a support the project on a long-term basis. I don’t think this is what Fernando was looking for. So the short answer is no.”

“If you look at the three options that we had, I must say, doing more years with Carlos, going with Esteban, or Daniel, all three options were all very valid, and would almost have been equally satisfied with all three options.”
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

I think that the picture where Alonso and his manager mocked Ferrari after he left the team says it all about both their characters really.

Just in case you don't know what I'm talking about:

https://www.auto123.com/en/racing-ne...p?artid=173168

They do look like the 2 most ridiculous F1 clowns in the sport's history: a driver who blackmailed his own team (because he was being trashed by a rookie) & his cheating manager.

Still, while Alonso has his own flaws (in and mostly outside the cockpit) I think that the way his career went was because of how he was managed / counseled(by that arrogant cheater) than just his own fault.

He had 5 real occasions to win the WDC(2005, 2006, 2007, 2010 and 2012) and he managed to get 2, which is not that bad but based only on his talent he definitely deserved 3-4 WDCs by now. Yet it could have been much worse: if McLaren & Ferrari were more reliable in 2005 and 2006 he would have ended with no WDCs. Not winning in 2007 and 2010 were his own fault(crash in Japan 2007, crash in FP Monaco 2010, fail to give back position to Kubica at Silverstone 2010) while in 2012 he had just bad luck. Had he stayed at Ferrari and drove like he did in 2012 I am convinced that he would have wrapped the WDC in 2017 and this year too.