Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Robert Kubica: Updates on his recovery

I love rally too, I even think it's ok that robert is allowed to do, if the team is ok with it, to be honest the chances of a rally driver dying during the rally (in well organized events) are about the same as we dying on traffic during our daily lives, during a race drivers are actually paying attention to the road and cars rather than texting.

My problem with many rally events are the roads that they choose, i think if you are going to choose a road, whatever surface it may be, you have to do everything you can to make it race safer, it used to be that the only thing they would prepare would be the rally cars, nowdays it's getting better, but still you see them going through roads that are pretty much death traps, and what's worse is that the crowd control is still very poor.

A guardrail would be there to try and dissipate the energy of the impact and not simply be there as a spear that will cut a rally car in half, cause that's the scariest part of this to me, if that's what it did with a rally car, imagine what would it do to a typical road car.

But i suppose this is a huge part of why people race, so that we can pin point the problems and the dangers and see what can be done to change it, and not turn a blind eye to the risks.

T
    he art isn't in never falling but in always getting up.

Quote Originally Posted by eleanor View Post
    literally translating is "wishing you a speedy return to health Robert" :)
    Thanks!!! :)
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by F1Jan View Post
    OMG how on earth did he get out of that car alive - some angels somewhere were looking out for him. Thank God he is alive and recovering.

Re all the comments about F1 drivers doing other things - I am sorry but it has always gone on - take a look at what Shuey has done in the past and still does - I guess the adrenalin rush goes with the territory of their lives lets face it I could not imagine the drivers taking up knitting. The reality is that there are always risks with life whether you are rushing down a mountain, driving a rally car or waiting to cross the road. I guess the teams will have to look in future as to whether they will allow it to happen again but is that not going to spoil the glamour and charisma of the F1 drivers and the F1 circus.

Nice touch from the teams to have the message on their cars - just goes to show that even in rivallery there is comradeship - just reminds why I follow this great additive sport.
    That wasn't the rally car, but some other accident....

I have always been a true F1 fan but I have also followed rallying and it is exciting to watch although my heart is with F1. The barrier incident is hopefully going to send a message out there to the organisers - sadly bad things have to happen before new measures can be put in place - I guess that's what's called an accident. I bet if you had to work out the stats of this happening in this way it would be of the measuring scale.

Kubi said that rallying actually helps him with F1:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89406

Although Kubica says his future participation in rallies is not certain once he is back to full F1 fitness, he insists he was right in pursuing the hobby.

"Had I not done it, I would have stayed home regretting it," he said. "So I did it and now I'm in this bed. But rallies aren't just a passion. They are though, severe training for F1.

"I drive better in F1 because I did many rallies last year. Rallying helps your concentration, especially since there is almost no more testing in F1. Performance in F1 comes from a series of details.

"Rallying has allowed me to work on certain aspects of myself where there are still margins to improve. It's important in a season like this with 20 races."
    Makes the lack of testing during the season seem even more stupid.
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89406

Thanks for the link Suzie.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post

Quote in full.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

I'm sure dodging knives like in a circus act would also improve his reflexes.... doesn't mean he has to do it though lol....

If he wants to improve his concentration, why not simply spend more times in a simulator?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I'm sure dodging knives like in a circus act would also improve his reflexes.... doesn't mean he has to do it though lol....

If he wants to improve his concentration, why not simply spend more times in a simulator?
    Do you think the simulator is enough? I am all for continuing testing.

Obviosuly it would be best if F1 could increase the amount of testing, but barring that, I'm completely against risking life and limb in a rally when the guy is an f1 driver first and foremost.... I'm starting to sound like a broken record lol....

In the good old days F1 drivers did all sort of other stuff like Le Mans 24h, rally, land speed records... They got hurt on regular basis. Some years back ex F1 drivers complained that drivers of today don't do enough for them to deserve the title the best in the world. When someone today does it is stupid and if they get hurt like Robert they are morons. We all have to except that they are special and that they own the life they have and not some company or team. What happened to Robert was really bad but it was his choice and his life and now it is his wounds and his pain. Teams / companies have their budget, risks and profit. They will survive just like us but for people like Robert it is not so certain. There are many people that for other people risk their lives on regular basis and we take it for granted. We are the hypocrits! Respect and hope for the best outcome!!!

I for one respect Robert (and all other drivers that want to do what ever they want) and wish him all the best and a speedy recovery. But I don't blame any one...

LIFE IS A DANGEROUS SPORT and we all have to live with it!
    (even if this sounds stupid it is just the way it is...)

Now slag me off all you like...

It's not a question of the risks that you take in your life, but the risks that you take when you are employed to an employer that pays the significant majority of your salary ;) At some point, everyone needs to learn responsibility... driving in some insignificant rally between tests is not responsible IMHO.... it has left Renault without a number 1 driver....

F1 in itself is a dangerous sport.... if I were arguing about the dangers of racing, I would not be a fan of F1 because I would think the risk would be too great.... instead, I understand the risk of F1, just like I understand the risks inherent with rallying.... but knowing that rallying is inherently risky, I find it irresponsible to expose one's self to that level of risk when their primary employer is relying on them for the season.... As it stands now, Renault will most likely not earn as much share of tv revenues as they would have had Kubica not been injured because their driver lineup is significantly weaker....

There is where we differ in opinion. I care only for human beings and Ferrari, I don't care one bit about Reno...

But I see your point and from a corporate point of view I guess it is valid.

It's not a question of the risks that you take in your life, but the risks that you take when you are employed to an employer that pays the significant majority of your salary ;) At some point, everyone needs to learn responsibility... driving in some insignificant rally between tests is not responsible IMHO....
    If you are employed that employer will pay you money for your good work. Responsibility and accidents are not the same...

We'll just have to agree to disagree

Personally, I think its more than that. Rallying is not the only other auto racing. There are many other racing that a F1 driver can get into just to keep themself busy with racing in a car off season.

Though I can understand if a driver wants to keep themself busy with racing, fearing they might slack off if they had to spend months sitting around doing nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvador Dali View Post
    There is where we differ in opinion. I care only for human beings and Ferrari, I don't care one bit about Reno...

But I see your point and from a corporate point of view I guess it is valid.

If you are employed that employer will pay you money for your good work. Responsibility and accidents are not the same...
    I agree wth Tony 100%. I'm sure as soon as Kubica comes around and is fit to drive again, he's going to care allot about how Reno feels about him returning , and what went down in the meantime. Without a doubt everyone wants him to fully recover quickly. . When he does, trhat's when the corporate points of view will determine how things go with his future.

Thumbs up

It's not a question of the risks that you take in your life, but the risks that you take when you are employed to an employer that pays the significant majority of your salary ;) At some point, everyone needs to learn responsibility... driving in some insignificant rally between tests is not responsible IMHO.... it has left Renault without a number 1 driver....

F1 in itself is a dangerous sport.... if I were arguing about the dangers of racing, I would not be a fan of F1 because I would think the risk would be too great.... instead, I understand the risk of F1, just like I understand the risks inherent with rallying.... but knowing that rallying is inherently risky, I find it irresponsible to expose one's self to that level of risk when their primary employer is relying on them for the season.... As it stands now, Renault will most likely not earn as much share of tv revenues as they would have had Kubica not been injured because their driver lineup is significantly weaker....
    Yes I have to agree here ... I cannot see them paying him a salary as another sport took him out. I agree totally with all you said here.
    "Michael showed that he is the greatest. He stole the show today. And he did that without even winning the race." comments from Willi Weber
    D:\estelle\My Folders\F1 Photos\Avitars\e960c1b2.jpg

Obviosuly it would be best if F1 could increase the amount of testing, but barring that, I'm completely against risking life and limb in a rally when the guy is an f1 driver first and foremost.... I'm starting to sound like a broken record lol....
    Risking life and limb? It's not everyday that you have a barrier go through your car like that. It was a rally, let's not act like he was trying to jump over 10 buses on a minibike. The odds of such a bizarre crash happening are the same as the odds of Webber being hit by a car while out mountain biking.
    Kubica wasn't bringing his employers into any disrepute, nor was he breaching his contract, so I don't see how his professional life can even be brought into this.

This isn't an matter of opinion. You can't go around claiming the guy is irresponsible for living his private life the way he wants to. He works for Renault, he doesn't live for them.

F1 drivers are just dangerous no matter what, it could be accidents during rally, or when attempting to throw sticks at people from a high altitude in their yatch... it's almost as if death is taking aim at them!!! lol

i'm glad robert seems to be doing fine, their bodies heals alot faster than of someone who isn't very fit. in a very real sense they fit themselves to take on alot of bumps.

T
    he art isn't in never falling but in always getting up.

Robert, see you soon

Robert, see you soon

This banner of support was an initiative designed by Adaco (the creator of http://www.losminidrivers.com ) and has been made and hung by the contribution of Forocoches forum members and other Spanish internet sites.

The banner will travel to Barcelona and there will be given to a journalist that it be forwarded to Robert.

Last edited by DIEK; 12th February 2011 at 21:04.

Check this out:
    http://en.espnf1.com/renault/motorsp...ory/40726.html

Maybe Renault is leaning towards Heidfeld as their second driver.

Anybody got Laudas email address so can tell THE RAT where he can put his .........Robert Kubica is in a stable condition after undergoing further surgery on the injuries he sustained in his rallying accident a week ago.

Kubica had a second operation at the Santa Corona Hospital, following emergency treatment last Sunday, and spent nine hours in theatre as surgeons worked on his foot, shoulder and inner elbow. Further operations are still required on his arm.

"We finished the second surgical intervention on his upper arm, which was already compromised in a previous accident," orthopaedic surgeon Dr Francesco Lanza told reporters. "We gave him a bone graft and inserted a plate. We operated on the inner part of the upper arm but we still have to operate on the outer part."

While Kubica continues to make good progress, former world champion Niki Lauda slammed his decision to undertake rallying.

"It makes no sense for him to put his job and his life at risk like this," Lauda said. "Was it unreasonable? Of course it was. He has to ensure that he can do his job, and his job is Formula One. Only he is to blame for what happened to him. Did he have to be doing this? No."

Asked about Kubica's explanation that rallying helped him keep his reflexes in shape, Lauda was unimpressed. "That's nonsense," he replied. "Rally driving has nothing to do with Formula One. They are different sports."

But Sebastian Vettel gave his backing. "Anything can always happen around the next corner so this has nothing to do with his rallying activity, and it was not his first rally," he said. "I think I speak in the name of all when I say that he is recovering fast and that he will be able to get back into his beloved F1 cockpit very soon."

If you The RAT did your Job in 1976 in Japan James Hunt Not be WDC but you too scared of alittle bit of rain .

Well if that is what Lauda suggest, then maybe climbing up the ladder and replacing the light bulb would be considered as putting your job and life at risk

Quote Originally Posted by Sha1 View Post
    Risking life and limb? It's not everyday that you have a barrier go through your car like that. It was a rally, let's not act like he was trying to jump over 10 buses on a minibike. The odds of such a bizarre crash happening are the same as the odds of Webber being hit by a car while out mountain biking.
    Kubica wasn't bringing his employers into any disrepute, nor was he breaching his contract, so I don't see how his professional life can even be brought into this.

This isn't an matter of opinion. You can't go around claiming the guy is irresponsible for living his private life the way he wants to. He works for Renault, he doesn't live for them.
    Actually you increase the odds of a freak accident when you go racing on an ordinary countryside street that wasn't meant for racing.

There's a reason why there's no such guardrail in race circuit.

I have just heard on our news station and now read online here that Robert Kubica
    condition has worsened, has anyone got news of how his progress really is ?

Robert's physical and psychological condition has gotten worse," Kubica's girlfriend, Edyta Witas, was quoted as saying on TVN24's website.
    "Michael showed that he is the greatest. He stole the show today. And he did that without even winning the race." comments from Willi Weber

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari_gal View Post
    I have just heard on our news station and now read online here that Robert Kubica
    condition has worsened, has anyone got news of how his progress really is ?

I heard TVN24 was removed from the hospital for spreading false news.

He is ok (as much as possible).

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89482

There are so many conflicting reports and scaremongers out there. It's not easy to know who to believe.

14/02/11 Update on Robert The latest update on Robert is that his condition remains positive. He will stay in intensive care for the next couple of days to allow a complete check-up and to avoid another change of department before his final operation.

His good general condition means that the final surgery (on the elbow) is scheduled for Wednesday.

My right arm feels better now than when I was hit by a drunk seven years ago. It’s a tough workout, severe, for F1 it helps with concentration … whether I’ll still do it, we’ll see. It was nice to see Briatore, an exceptional person. Then Alonso, Lopez, Petrov, Alesi, Liuzzi — beautiful, the track never lets you see the true face of the people,” Kubica added thanking for the support shown by the other F1 drivers in the paddock.

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/motors...ia-time-28259/

Forza Jules

Agree totally with Lauda... senseless accident that could have been avoided.... hopefully the teams and drivers get together and agree to ban this type of activity during the race calendar and testing season....

Perhaps what happened to Kubica is a very hard slap on the face to those that have thought about banning testing or reducing it to a very NOT funny level.

Perhaps they should realize (remember?) that F1 is NOT supposed to be a cheap sport and indeed those that have deep pockets are those that have been and should be in this sport.

And yes, perhaps this is the time that they should reconsider at least putting more hours into REAL testing (and not just simulator hours).
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Thanks guys. Yes I agree, there are too many looking for sensational news for their papers and internet sites, so they dramatise everything ...