PDA

View Full Version : Pat Fry to join Ferrari? (Autosport report)

Suzie
20th June 2010, 14:48
http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/84639

Former McLaren chief engineer Pat Fry is set to join Ferrari's technical strength according to reports in the Italian media.

The 46-year-old, who quit McLaren in May after working for the team for 18 years, has signed for the Italian squad according to Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport. It remains unclear when he will take up his position or what his role will be.

When asked to confirm the story, a Ferrari spokesperson refused to comment.

McLaren's managing director Jonathan Neale recently spoke of Fry's decision to leave the team in a media phone-in last month: "Whenever somebody of Pat's calibre leaves the team it is sad, and we like Pat very much and he is a fine engineer but people have their lives to lead and want to do other things.

"It doesn't give me any concern for the performance of the team or what we do for next year's car at all because we are still a team that has strength in depth and we are committed to maintaining that," he added. "Yes it's regrettable but Pat has to move on and do other things with his life and we have carried on as you would expect."

Asphalt_World
20th June 2010, 14:49
Would be very good news if it is true although I don't know what role he would take. However he has so much experience it would bring a lot to the team.

mandzipop
20th June 2010, 15:08
Now that it is on Autosport, it carries a lot more weight to it. He's on gardening leave for 6 months, so wouldn't be able to join until next year. Possibly a re-shuffle coming up?

epiclyaddicted
20th June 2010, 15:16
Hmm, Autosport reporting it now. Must have some basis to it then. :Hmm

mandzipop
20th June 2010, 17:06
I wonder what he could bring. As long at is not related to the MP4-24 I don't care.

Rob
20th June 2010, 18:27
came cross this, doesnt say alot, but the last line is interesting.......

www.onestopstrategy.com

McLaren's departed Fry heading to Ferrari
Sunday 20 June at 16:01 : Jun.20 (GMM) McLaren's recently-departed chief engineer Pat Fry is heading to Ferrari.

It emerged last month that the 46-year-old Briton, who joined from Benetton in 1993, has left the Woking based team for an unknown destination.

Fry shared McLaren's chief engineer role with Tim Goss, and was in charge of the 2011 car project.

Italian media sources on Sunday said Fry is headed to Ferrari, and will have an impact on the famous Maranello based team's next car.

mandzipop
20th June 2010, 18:36
came cross this, doesnt say alot, but the last line is interesting.......

www.onestopstrategy.com

McLaren's departed Fry heading to Ferrari
Sunday 20 June at 16:01 : Jun.20 (GMM) McLaren's recently-departed chief engineer Pat Fry is heading to Ferrari.

It emerged last month that the 46-year-old Briton, who joined from Benetton in 1993, has left the Woking based team for an unknown destination.

Fry shared McLaren's chief engineer role with Tim Goss, and was in charge of the 2011 car project.

Italian media sources on Sunday said Fry is headed to Ferrari, and will have an impact on the famous Maranello based team's next car.

I find that last line a bit strange too. He left Mclaren on 14th May. He has a 6 month gardening leave, so he can have no involvement with Ferrari until 14th November. The car will be virtually designed and ready for pre-season testing by then.

Greig
20th June 2010, 18:53
Do McLaren have him under constant watch? I am sure he can easily pop along to Maranello out of his own time and pop in or even give data and idea's....

Asphalt_World
20th June 2010, 19:07
I think a nice garden shed with a nice fast cable link, a PC running the appropriate software will do well enough to get him started.

TheProdigalSon
21st June 2010, 00:19
Good news if this comes to fruition, can really help the team.:thumb

mad_ani
21st June 2010, 03:14
Do McLaren have him under constant watch? I am sure he can easily pop along to Maranello out of his own time and pop in or even give data and idea's....

He's sure be under gardening leave...a time where he cant usually join any rival team for 6-7 months (although this varies depending on the contract)

In this period, If he did come to Marenello and give data or ideas, then Ferrari would be charged of spying and gathering Mclarens intellectual property....

Rishu
21st June 2010, 03:43
In this period, If he did come to Marenello and give data or ideas, then Ferrari would be charged of spying and gathering Mclarens intellectual property....

Good point

I am sure Ferrari does not need him desparately, they can wait till he is officially relieved by McCheaters.

What will be the fate of Dyre then?

Hornet
21st June 2010, 04:01
If Ferrari really wanted info from him, they will get it IMO.
We don't exactly need him to be physically present at Ferrari HQ

And I doubt McLaren have th capabilities or jurisdiction to monitor his private email

Or he could pass notes old skool spy style :lol

mad_ani
21st June 2010, 05:25
Good point

I am sure Ferrari does not need him desparately, they can wait till he is officially relieved by McCheaters.

What will be the fate of Dyre then?

possibly a reshuffle internally...well I hope and certainly believe Ferrari would not stoop down to low levels to get other teams data or property...:-)

mad_ani
21st June 2010, 05:27
If Ferrari really wanted info from him, they will get it IMO.
We don't exactly need him to be physically present at Ferrari HQ

And I doubt McLaren have th capabilities or jurisdiction to monitor his private email

Or he could pass notes old skool spy style :lol

lol, we could then send him a photocopier and a fax machine with numbers directly to Marenello's design dept....:lol

Agron
21st June 2010, 05:41
Where have all those people that suggested Ferrari were only hiring pure blooded italians gone? or maybe this guy has a half italian cousin or something?
Why is the same xenophobic and self righteous drivel always coming from the same place?

mad_ani
21st June 2010, 07:06
Where have all those people that suggested Ferrari were only hiring pure blooded italians gone? or maybe this guy has a half italian cousin or something?
Why is the same xenophobic and self righteous drivel always coming from the same place?

Well, its not a done deal yet and just a report in a news article... There is no news yet about what position he would occupy or when he would join Scuderia...6 months incubation would also mean that he would have stayed away from much of the design process of 2011 car...

Greig
21st June 2010, 08:14
He's sure be under gardening leave...a time where he cant usually join any rival team for 6-7 months (although this varies depending on the contract)

LOL no what a engineer takes with him in his head is always fair game, don't be so silly :-)

mad_ani
21st June 2010, 08:22
LOL no what a engineer takes with him in his head is always fair game, don't be so silly :-)

GARDEN LEAVE--Wikipedia definition :

In the United Kingdom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom), garden leave (or gardening leave[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_leave#cite_note-Gardening_leave-0)) describes the practice whereby an employee who is leaving a job (having resigned or otherwise been terminated) is instructed to stay away from work during their notice period, while still remaining on the payroll. This practice is often used to prevent employees from taking with them up-to-date (and perhaps sensitive) information when they leave their current employer, especially when they are leaving to join a competitor.
Employees continue to receive their normal pay during garden leave and are covered by any contractual duties, such as confidentiality agreements, until their notice period expires.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_leave#cite_note-Garden_leave-1)
The term can also be used when an employee is sent home whilst subject to disciplinary proceedings, when they are between projects, or where, as a result of publicity, their presence at work is considered counter-productive. The Tracey Temple (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracey_Temple) affair is an instance of the latter case.
The term is frequently used in Formula One (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One) motor racing to describe what happens when valued technical staff choose to move between teams. In an attempt to prevent proprietary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprietary) information about performance and design falling into competitors' hands, the engineer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer) in question is placed on garden leave, sometimes for many months, to ensure that when he is finally able to join his new employer his knowledge is no longer current (or useful).

Just posted a definition for you :-), before you accuse me of anything else...

Greig
21st June 2010, 08:25
And it still does not stop his own info in his head :-) don't be so silly, comparing 600 page documents with this LOL, it's an attempt to stop him working full time at Ferrari, nothing more....McLaren can't monitor what he says or does. Ferrari are not in the UK either ;-)

mad_ani
21st June 2010, 08:31
I never compared this with spygate or any 600 page document ;-)

Of course, engineers are hired for their intellect, but they are usually under payroll during garden leave, making him an employee of the former company...in this case Mclaren...

Previous post :

Greig
21st June 2010, 09:13
No they wouldn't :-) McLaren cannot have any confidentially agreement for his own thoughts and ideas, for goodness sake LOL

NJB13
21st June 2010, 10:19
No they wouldn't :-) McLaren cannot have any confidentially agreement for his own thoughts and ideas, for goodness sake LOL

Beg to differ on this one. If something is developed by your employee, using your equipment, tools and existing intellectual property, then, it absolutely remains your property. I would be very much surprised if he wasn't covered by NDA's as well and I'd be equally sure, given a hint of a breach of any of these, it would be a case of "issue-writs-first" "ask-questions-later".
Given the above, I believe and hope that we would use his skills and knowledge based on our own intellectual property and knowledge along with everything that is in the public domain.

Salvador Dali
21st June 2010, 10:20

Oh come on Greig you know that what mad_ani said is true. He can't come to Maranelo or have any discusions about his work while on gardenig leave. Until he is a part of McLaren he can not use anything he has in his head for any other team.
This does not stop him/her to give the new employer all the info once he starts working for some one else.

Basiclly what you said Greig is true but not in the context mad_ani was trying to put forward...
It is not nice to twist words around and make fun of someone trying do give valid info on this forum.... --> respect...

Have a nice day sir

Greig
21st June 2010, 10:59
He can tell Ferrari things, do you think we have hired him without speaking to him, seeing some of his work and idea's? get real LOL

So where did we hire him if McLaren can ban him from Maranello LOL, he can use whatever he has in his head, McLaren do not own his mind and thoughts.....

Ferrari_Fanatic
21st June 2010, 11:10
He can tell Ferrari things, do you think we have hired him without speaking to him, seeing some of his work and idea's? get real LOL

So where did we hire him if McLaren can ban him from Maranello LOL, he can use whatever he has in his head, McLaren do not own his mind and thoughts.....

agreed! i wonder if Alonso has something to do with it (recommeded him)

mad_ani
21st June 2010, 11:19

Of course not...but he is paid by Mclaren during that time and any work or designs that come from him...would still be Mclarens property or credited to them.....If he develops different ideas he cannot put it to work or sneak up to Marenello and tell them the secret workings of Mclaren in THIS GARDEN LEAVE PERIOD...
If he develops ideas he would have to wait until he joins a company and them put it to use....Of course no one has a copyright on thoughts etc.. Please let us not fight over this...

If he comes to Ferrari and brings in good ideas...great for the team...and hopefully he can adapt well

Greig
21st June 2010, 12:37
Of course not...but he is paid by Mclaren during that time and any work or designs that come from him...would still be Mclarens property or credited to them.....If he develops different ideas he cannot put it to work or sneak up to Marenello and tell them the secret workings of Mclaren in THIS GARDEN LEAVE PERIOD...
If he develops ideas he would have to wait until he joins a company and them put it to use....Of course no one has a copyright on thoughts etc.. Please let us not fight over this...

If he comes to Ferrari and brings in good ideas...great for the team...and hopefully he can adapt well

No if he has fresh ideas then it's nothing to do with McLaren, no fight here, Ferrari have not hired him because of his name, he will have been to Maranello and spoke to Ferrari and gave them ideas and what he can bring, if he is signed.

mad_ani
21st June 2010, 13:19
No if he has fresh ideas then it's nothing to do with McLaren, no fight here, Ferrari have not hired him because of his name, he will have been to Maranello and spoke to Ferrari and gave them ideas and what he can bring, if he is signed.

Maybe I dont understand....

He is on Mclarens payrole...and by contract an employee of theirs for 6 more months ...he comes to Ferrari giving his "new" ideas...

:Hmm

Ethically correct???

Greig
21st June 2010, 13:27
When did F1 have ethics LOL, should he give them to McLaren then?

mad_ani
21st June 2010, 13:42
I believe and hope certain people do...maybe some employees who work hard...maybe good people are there once the politics of the sport is taken out...

On second thoughts,,Maybe u are right...
An instance:(NO Alonso bashing here)

From Spygate 2007
Pedro dela rosa and Alonso did see Ferrari's data before discussing internally when they were at mclaren...Ethiclly correct?? IMO, No

Thats past and we have moved on..

steelstallions
21st June 2010, 13:47

I'm sure his wife could find a photocopy shop in Maranello somewhere, it's not like that would cause any problems :rotfl

Nova
21st June 2010, 14:23
I am not familiar w/this gentleman..is he good???

Ant Raikkonen
21st June 2010, 14:41
:-) It would be good to get Fry from Mclaren. It's On Autosport, so the story must carry some weight.
Nice little coup, that. He's been there nearly 20 years and may give Ferrari some very good ideas and direction, just what they may need :thumb

aroutis
21st June 2010, 14:44

Wrong. Any ideas of his own that have been applied in Mclaren are property of McLaren, and he cannot use them or pass them to anyone else.

What he can do however is use previous gained knowledge in other ways after he parts ways with his previous employer.

I have such clauses with my present employer so I know one or 2 things bout it.

Greig
21st June 2010, 15:54
Wrong. Any ideas of his own that have been applied in Mclaren are property of McLaren, and he cannot use them or pass them to anyone else.

What he can do however is use previous gained knowledge in other ways after he parts ways with his previous employer.

As I said fresh ideas, McLaren do not own his thoughts, ideas and mind, does not matter about your contract, maybe your contract owns your mind I don't know :-) If we have signed him then clearly we have had meetings, and I would suspect he has brought what he can bring to Ferrari to the table, which makes complete sense to me.

If he has fresh idea's and gives them now to Ferrari to implement, how on earth would McLaren know about it?

steelstallions
21st June 2010, 16:20

He certainly cannot implement like for like ideas on the Ferrari, but Ferrari will already have done work in areas similar to what he knows and it would be great to see if he can use both his knowledge and Ferrari's work in creating new idea's Mclaren could never call their own.

Nova
21st June 2010, 21:02
I am not familiar w/this gentleman..is he good???
Well it appears he is pretty good after doing some research....he was working on next years mac according to
crash...would probably depend how much of it he has down on paper...or cad b4 he can start creating..they also reported he was wanted by Merc n a few others...

Ferrarichamp
22nd June 2010, 06:48
Pat Fry, another Brit to work for Ferrari. I've sometimes wondered, how many Italians work for McLaren? :Hmm

mad_ani
22nd June 2010, 07:15
As I said fresh ideas, McLaren do not own his thoughts, ideas and mind, does not matter about your contract, maybe your contract owns your mind I don't know :-) If we have signed him then clearly we have had meetings, and I would suspect he has brought what he can bring to Ferrari to the table, which makes complete sense to me.

If he has fresh idea's and gives them now to Ferrari to implement, how on earth would McLaren know about it?

Hmm...guess it would make complete sense if Aldo Costa left ferrari today and approached another team tomorrow showing his ideas (garnered using Ferrari's resources, but not implemented yet) by meeting his future employer??

Greig
22nd June 2010, 07:23
Hmm...guess it would make complete sense if Aldo Costa left ferrari today and approached another team tomorrow showing his ideas (garnered using Ferrari's resources, but not implemented yet) by meeting his future employer??

Can you do me a favour and read what is written, i.e fresh ideas meaning new ideas and concepts he has done not at McLaren but while sat in the garden....on a side note the Williams walrus nose was created by a designer at Ferrari, when Ferrari said no thanks, they took it to Williams.....

If Fry has new fresh idea's that McLaren do not know about then why would he not give them to Ferrari or whoever he is going to join, he has to sell himself to teams too :-)

replica
22nd June 2010, 09:18
Ferrari has confirmed on Tuesday morning that former McLaren Chief Engineer Pat Fry has joined the Italian team as Assistant Technical Director. The 46-year-old Surrey man departed the Woking squad at the end of last month and will now be working alongside Aldo Costa.

Having worked previously with Benetton as well as McLaren, Fry left the latter in May and will begin work at the Scuderia as July begins.

Pat moved into Formula 1 in the late 1980s by joining Benetton's Research and Development department as well as a stint with its test team, to which he returned in 1991 before being promoted to the Race Engineer role for driver Martin Brundle in 1992.

The move to McLaren came a year later, swayed by friend and colleague Giorgio Ascanelli (now Toro Rosso Technical Director). Fry became Race Engineer to future double Champion Mika Häkkinen in 1995 before moving to the test team in 1996 - despite hearsay linking the Englishman with Ferrari.

In 1997, Fry became David Coulthard's Race Engineer, working with the Scot until the end of the 2000 campaign before directing both cars in 2001. 2002 brought with it another promotion, to the job of Chief Engineer - a role held until his recent exit from the team.

Ferrari has also noted on Tuesday that the rest of its technical department structure remains unchanged, despite the new arrival.

mad_ani
22nd June 2010, 11:00
atleast we can fine tune our F duct and rest of the car by August..

Asphalt_World
22nd June 2010, 11:23
Excellent news. This can only be great for Ferrari.

Tiz
22nd June 2010, 11:41
I saw the report of his 1st July start on Yahoo sport. It is surprising that he is being allowed to start so soon after leaving McLaren unless they haven't started on their new car yet. Hope he will be good for Ferrari.

raylinds
22nd June 2010, 14:42

Technically you are correct. However, such contracts are extremely difficult to enforce. Unless there is a blatant exact copy a McLaren design, they should be okay. Taking an existing concept and implementing it in a different manner can be done. McLaren could bring legal action, but it would be hard to win. I have been under, and have put my employees under such contracts for most of my career and legally, it is a gray area. Employment contracts cannot be so restrictive as to impair one's ability to make a living. A good case could be made that his ideas and experience are necessary to gain future employment, so some leeway would be allowed.

nikhil4356
22nd June 2010, 14:54
Its good that Fry is joining Ferrari. Interested in the 6 months gardening leave and how ferrari management can tackle it .

But what I feel is that Ferrari doesn’t necessarily need innovative parts like F duct, or double diffuser, which aren’t even innovative. They are just calculated risks hoping that the FIA will allow them to use them. Sort of like grabbing a football players jersey in the box, and hoping not to get caught. If you are caught, you look the fool, if you aren’t caught it’s genius. There is alot of politics behind what FIA allows, and what they don’t as well. But maybe that is changing under Todt’s reign. There is a fine line, between innovation and sidestepping the rules, under a technicality.

What Ferrari needs is a better core concept. A better grasp on the rules as a whole, so that their solution to everything isn’t to copy everyone else. That’s what teams behind the eight ball have to do. Ferrari have been doing this the last 18 months. This years car is already a Redbull clone, and now they are adding the exhaust system. But it is never as good to copy, as it is to invent as you will understand the thoughts and philosphy behind it alot better.

Redbull’s pull rod suspension isn’t innovative either. It’s been used before in F1. Very few ideas are new, it’s just whether or not they will work in current regs, combined with will they be allowed to use them by FIA. It’s a risk, because no team wants to put their resources into developing something, only for it to be banned after a few races. So there is always an element of gamble. It is important for the sports credibility for the FIA to be seen as impartial in these situations.

However.. the better the core concept, the less you have to gamble. We can now look back and say that Brawn’s car last year was a one trick pony. Without the double diffusers, it was only a good car, and since others added their’s they have continously slipped backwards. But Brawn can defend its stigma “one-trick pony”, by citing that Williams and Toyota had the same trick and they had nowhere near the speed of the Brawn. Every part of that car was super-refined at the start of the season because (reputedly) it was the most expensive F1 car in history.

There was also alot of talk about finishing work on this years car to concentrate on next years car. Alot of the teams that do, it doesn’t even seem to help them. A good core concept is better then a few extra months in development.

RedDragon
22nd June 2010, 21:42
taken from mad_ani's post

In the United Kingdom, garden leave (or gardening leave[1]) describes the practice whereby an employee who is leaving a job (having resigned or otherwise been terminated) is instructed to stay away from work during their notice period, while still remaining on the payroll.

According to this, any new ideas he comes up with during his leave don't belong to McLaren because he is instructed to stay away, therefore he can not present any new ideas to them.

note found on a new fax machine in Ferrari HQ
*this fax machine will self-destruct in 30 seconds* :-)

MMREDDY
23rd June 2010, 02:46
He is going to work for Ferrari from July 1st 2010 onwards

mad_ani
23rd June 2010, 02:46
Now that he is on board...are Ferrari now desperate for talent outside their team??Do we not have enough people that can win us the championship...The bigger question

IS THIS THE ARRIVAL OF THE NEW DREAM TEAM for FERRARI?

whoz next, Newey?

vcs316
23rd June 2010, 03:38
Ferrari confirms Fry recruitment

As had been anticipated, Ferrari has confirmed that highly-respected former McLaren chief engineer Pat Fry is to join the Scuderia in the capacity of assistant technical director.

Fry will work under technical director Aldo Costa, but whilst the Englishman’s appointment had been expected to take effect from the 2011 F1 campaign, he will in fact begin his new role at Maranello from as soon as 1 July, meaning he will in all likelihood be able to have a significant input into the design of next year’s car.

Fry spent the best part of two decades at McLaren, having entered the sport with a background in electronics engineering and missile technology before going on to engineer current BBC F1 commentator Martin Brundle at Benetton in 1992. During his 18 years spent at Woking, the 46-year-old acted as race engineer to both double world champion Mika Hakkinen and 13-time grand prix-winner David Coulthard, and subsequently progressed to take charge of both of the team’s cars.

As such, he will take a wealth of invaluable expertise with him to his new employer, including detailed knowledge of the initial design phases of next season’s McLaren, with which he had been heavily involved prior to his departure from the ultra-successful British outfit earlier this year. Fry will join fellow English-language natives Rob Smedley and Chris Dyer in the upper hierarchy of the Prancing Horse’s race team.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/22062010/23/ferrari-confirms-fry-recruitment.html

Agron
23rd June 2010, 05:27
Oh how Greig is going to LOL after this...

Anyway, great news, not only Ferrari gets a highly qualified engineer with a huge amount of experience, but also they could probably get from him the most detailed first hand legal info you could get about McLaren's organization, way of working, R+D ideas and concepts, and of course detailed data on this and next year's cars. And they get those right now.
No matter how you look at it, this is very bad news for McLaren.

Greig
23rd June 2010, 07:45
Now that he is on board...are Ferrari now desperate for talent outside their team??Do we not have enough people that can win us the championship...The bigger question

IS THIS THE ARRIVAL OF THE NEW DREAM TEAM for FERRARI?

whoz next, Newey?

You really are predictable, so now we sign people because we are desperate, why do you post here, its now really boring, once again you use anything Ferrari do to create a negative view.

mad_ani
23rd June 2010, 09:58
You really are predictable, so now we sign people because we are desperate, why do you post here, its now really boring, once again you use anything Ferrari do to create a negative view.

From the thread "should we get Adrian Newey", your post :

Why not? Ferrari should be actively seeking to hire the best, and if Ferrari feel he is the best we should get him.

Lol, there is nothing negative, but a sense of urgency to get back to be the best..If viewed in negative light..its negative....

Greig
23rd June 2010, 10:03
Indeed, but I don't associate signing the best as desperation or saying our team is not good enough, such as you, as I said very boring, instead of being happy Ferrari sign someone well respected you use it as a tool to put down the current team and suggest Ferrari are desperate, some fan!

Bored of your constant belittling everything Ferrari does, I am sure I am not the only one....

racingbradley
23rd June 2010, 11:58
Yes it's boring reading negative posts about our team. Personally I am glad that someone well respected with a wealth of experience is joining us.:-)
If Adrian Newey would like to add Ferrari to his CV, I am sure we would welcome him too!!! ;-);-);-)
That doesn't mean we are desperate but why not take the opportunity to use experienced people who have been successful with our opponents????

Nova
23rd June 2010, 16:16
He's a plant...will come in for 2 years, steal all of our secrets, design a crummy car, then go back to mac....:-D hey, I like conspiracy theroiys..therorirs...theroes..fugitabodit////...

Rob
23rd June 2010, 18:10
this is great news.You always want too add and make the team stronger. Im sure he will fit in well and find the familt atmosphere just what he needs and likes. Sure he will bring good fresh ideas and help too make 2011 challenger the car for next year.

I read in posts that people say he aint allowed or cannt suggest ideas that may be Mclaren, well look at what Pedro done at Sauber, they rocked up with thier version of the "f-duct" couple races after Mclaren unvielled it.

Tony
24th June 2010, 07:17
For a second I thought Ferrari hired Nick Fry and was wondering what the heck everyone was talking about lol....

vcs316
24th June 2010, 09:22
Ferrari poaching McLaren's Fry 'wise' - Verstappen

Ferrari is "wise" to have poached an experienced engineer from McLaren, according to former Grand Prix driver Jos Verstappen.

Briton Pat Fry, McLaren's former joint chief engineer who was with the Woking team for 17 years and recently working on the 2011 car, will start his new role at Ferrari next week as assistant technical director.

"Getting Pat Fry is a wise move," Verstappen wrote in a column for the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf.

"Like last season, you could say again that Ferrari's performance has not been good enough.

"It is not the drivers' fault -- in particular, I estimate Alonso very highly.

"But in recent years Ferrari has lot some very important people and I think they are still affected by that," he added.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=374458

Ferrari_Fanatic
24th June 2010, 11:11
maybe this is the start of the dream team!

i just know an alonsomainia era is coming!

vecchiasignora
6th November 2010, 10:16
Since the day he arrived, and we are on the way up!And Mclaren on the way down!

Mrs.Domenicali
6th November 2010, 11:12
F1 engineers move about all the time, its no big deal. Look at Nick Tombazis he was at Ferrari went to McLaren and came back again. :-)

Grillo
6th November 2010, 11:16
Since the day he arrived, and we are on the way up!And Mclaren on the way down!

Funnily enough I thought that same thing a few days ago. :-)

scuderiafan
6th November 2010, 11:41
I think he also helped with our F Duct issues.
Good man

steelstallions
7th November 2010, 04:52
Wasn't we discussing this in July? http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/06/22/mclarens-pat-fry-joins-ferrari/

Or was there another top Mclaren employee leaving them for Ferrari?

I know this sounds territorial, but regardless of how good Pat Fry is, he has been part of the enemy for a long time, and I am wary of him joining. Is he cutting all ties from the decades he was with McCheaters? Does he dump all his friends who still work for them. Would he not feel inclined to let slip to a mate Ferrari are working on this area of the car.
Sorry I don't trust Mclaren and anyone who's embedded in their history for so long makes me suspicious.
We don't need him, let him enjoy his gardening leave.

Katu
7th November 2010, 06:10
I know this sounds territorial, but regardless of how good Pat Fry is, he has been part of the enemy for a long time, and I am wary of him joining. Is he cutting all ties from the decades he was with McCheaters? Does he dump all his friends who still work for them. Would he not feel inclined to let slip to a mate Ferrari are working on this area of the car.
Sorry I don't trust Mclaren and anyone who's embedded in their history for so long makes me suspicious.

I think these people are professionals and of course they have friends and ties in old team but this is far more serious business that bromances you have in normal offices. they are not bunch of woman who go gossiping in every chance possible. i wouldn't be that suspicious

steelstallions
7th November 2010, 06:48
I think these people are professionals and of course they have friends and ties in old team but this is far more serious business that bromances you have in normal offices. they are not bunch of woman who go gossiping in every chance possible. i wouldn't be that suspicious

Consider the quotes from current drivers over the years to the press from this same industry, if they are human enough to do this to a media organisation, what on earth do they say behind closed doors.

Regardless that it is a serious business, Stepney and CO proved its not immune from deliberate sabotage, let alone unprofessional hints from Pat Fry to an old mate struggling at Mclaren for new idea's.

I am only saying he is human and his world revolved around the enemy for a very long time and I doubt like most humans he has severed all ties just because he left.

scuderiafan
7th November 2010, 09:24
I heard that h wanted to join with Alonso again, as i think he designed the 07 McLaren. If i were him, i would be annoyed to lose the title like they di by favouring the wrong driver, and maybe he liked Alonso and wanted to rejoin with him.
I don't know, these are all rumours.:Hmm

Greig
7th November 2010, 09:34

Errrr I am sure he is working at Maranello for months now.....

steelstallions
7th November 2010, 20:42
Errrr I am sure he is working at Maranello for months now.....

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Pat+Fry+F1+Grand+Prix+Hungary+Previews+yJ9ahIL3U-jl.jpg

Yep, been on the scene since Hungary, I thought it was old news that never happened,as I heard no more since June, even with goggle it took a while to get any stories past June.

Glad to take back my words but I will be suspicious still anyway. :-G

Poltergeistes
8th November 2010, 03:05
Isn't he the one who had been sacrificed by mclaren during the liegate involving lewis hamilton in the opening race of 2009 in australia? when lewis tried to lie and get away with it but got caught? and to not let lewis get the big penalty mclaren decided he, pat fry was the one to take the fault? i know officially it was Ryan who got sacked, but there were many rummors saying that fry was also not satisfied with the way things were being done in the team ever since fernando was at the team (the way mclaren has to always work 100% for lewis). i think he was one of the guys at mclaren who wanted to work with fernando.

if that was Pat Fry... (and im almost 100% sure this is the guy) this is exactly what mclaren would deserve, if he had helped us in any input specially about mclaren's F-Duct.

I know that at the time it was said that he made the decision, that he was going to take the blame, doing it for the best of the team, but clearly it was all about ron dennis needs to protect lewis hamilton, from something he did very wrong, and sacrificed someone who had been working for the team for 2 decades, so that his spoiled childish driver would get away with it, he always needs to come first, and i don't think pat agreed with that.

Good for Pat! after all to work for the scuderia is the goal of everyone that works in F1!

Hermann
8th November 2010, 03:20
Isn't he the one who had been sacrificed by mclaren during the liegate involving lewis hamilton in the opening race of 2009 in australia? when lewis tried to lie and get away with it but got caught? and to not let lewis get the big penalty mclaren decided he, pat fry was the one to take the fault?

if that was Pat Fry... (and im almost 100% sure this is the guy) this is exactly what mclaren would deserve, if he had helped us in any input specially about mclaren's F-Duct.

I know that at the time it was said that he made the decision, that he was going to take the blame, doing it for the best of the team, but clearly it was all about ron dennis needs to protect lewis hamilton, from something he did very wrong, and sacrificed someone who had been working for the team for 2 decades, so that his spoiled childish driver would get away with it.

Good for Pat! after all to work for the scuderia is the goal of everyone that works in F1!

That was Dave Ryan. He was suspended and left the team (or better, he was 'officially' fired) on April 7th 2009 (at least thats the last entry on Wiki).

Poltergeistes
8th November 2010, 03:40
That was Dave Ryan. He was suspended and left the team (or better, he was 'officially' fired) on April 7th 2009 (at least thats the last entry on Wiki).

Yes thank you Dave ryan is his full name, i didn't clarify what i meant on my first post that's why i edited it, i meant pat fry would follow leaving that after that incident for firing ryan over something hamilton did wrong, that he wasn't a bloke that was ever happy about sacrificing just everybody else in the name of lewis. reportedly started feeling that way after how mclaren treated fernando.