PDA

View Full Version : Pirelli is new F1 tyre supplier from 2011 to 2013

shostak
23rd June 2010, 14:15
Press Release

World Motor Sport Council

23/06/2010

The World Motor Sport Council met in Geneva on 23 June 2010. The following decisions were taken:

FORMULA ONE

Tyres
Pirelli has been selected as the single tyre supplier for the FIA Formula One World Championship for a period of three years, commencing in 2011. The sole supplier will undertake to strictly respect the sporting and technical regulations implemented by the FIA.

“Competitor’s staff” FIA Licence
A proposal relating to specific licences for members of staff of competitors entered in the FIA World Championships has been submitted to the Formula One Commission. This is under consideration for implementation in the FIA Formula One World Championship from the start of 2011, with a view to inclusion in other FIA World Championships in the future.

Safety Car
With immediate effect, no car may overtake until it has passed the first safety car line for the first time when the safety car is returning to the pits. However, if the safety car is still deployed at the beginning of the last lap, or is deployed during the last lap, it will enter the pit lane at the end of the lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.

General safety
With immediate effect, any car being driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically, or which is deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers, will be reported to the stewards. This will apply whether any such car is being driven on the track, the pit entry or the pit lane.

In order to ensure cars are not driven unnecessarily slowly on in-laps during qualifying or reconnaissance laps when the pit exit is opened for the race, drivers must stay below the maximum time set by the FIA between the safety car line after the pit exit and safety car line before the pit entry. The maximum time will be determined by the race director at each event prior to the first day of practice, but may be amended during the event if necessary.

The grid
From 2011, any driver whose best qualifying lap exceeds 107% of the fastest Q1 qualifying time will not be allowed to take part in the race. Under exceptional circumstances, however, which may include setting a suitable lap time in a free practice session, the stewards may permit the car to start the race. Should there be more than one driver accepted in this manner, the grid order will be determined by the stewards.

Driver adjustable bodywork
From 2011, adjustable bodywork may be activated by the driver at any time prior to the start of the race and, for the sole purpose of improving overtaking opportunities during the race, after the driver has completed two laps. The driver may only activate the adjustable bodywork in the race when he has been notified via the control electronics that it is enabled. It will only be enabled if the driver is less than one second behind another at any of the pre-determined positions around each circuit. The system will be disabled the first time the driver uses the brakes after the system has been activated. The FIA may, after consulting all the competitors, adjust the time proximity in order to ensure the purpose of the adjustable bodywork is met.

Aerodynamic influence
With the exception of the parts necessary for the driver adjustable bodywork, any car system, device or procedure which uses driver movement as a means of altering the aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited from 2011.

Weight
From 2011, the minimum weight of the car must not be less than 640 kg at all times during the event.

Fuel draining
With immediate effect, if a sample of fuel is required after a practice session the car concerned must have first been driven back to the pits under its own power.

Licences
Based on his career résumé and comparative F1 testing times, the World Council has approved the granting of a four-race probationary super license to Chinese driver Ho-Pin Tung.

Full details plus information on further amendments to the 2011 and 2012 Sporting and Technical Regulations will be available shortly on http://www.fia.com

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/wmsc/2010/Pages/wmsc_230610.aspx

107% rule again next year.

ferrari1.8t
23rd June 2010, 14:28
An Italian tyre manufacturer paired up with an Italian racing team! I have no complaints. I have always liked Pirelli, and who knows...maybe they will 'help' each other out as they are countrymen!:-D

Nova
23rd June 2010, 16:13
Steep learning curve for sure..I also read something about the rear wing somewhere...

Rob
23rd June 2010, 18:15
good news. But still think F1 needs a tyre war again. Just too spice up racing, unless Pirelli will make the compound drop offs extreme.

RedRebel40
23rd June 2010, 20:49
I hope they introduce bigger rims soon, this will spice up the show and give the cars more front end grip> more overtaking.

RedRebel40
23rd June 2010, 20:50
An Italian tyre manufacturer paired up with an Italian racing team! I have no complaints. I have always liked Pirelli, and who knows...maybe they will 'help' each other out as they are countrymen!:-D

don't think they will do this, the contract runs till 2013 and if they are unfair they will be forced to leave F1 again.

Tifoso
23rd June 2010, 22:10
Dang it :-s

vcs316
24th June 2010, 03:08
Press Release

Driver adjustable bodywork
From 2011, adjustable bodywork may be activated by the driver at any time prior to the start of the race and, for the sole purpose of improving overtaking opportunities during the race, after the driver has completed two laps. The driver may only activate the adjustable bodywork in the race when he has been notified via the control electronics that it is enabled. It will only be enabled if the driver is less than one second behind another at any of the pre-determined positions around each circuit. The system will be disabled the first time the driver uses the brakes after the system has been activated. The FIA may, after consulting all the competitors, adjust the time proximity in order to ensure the purpose of the adjustable bodywork is met.

How are they going to monitor all this ? I am assuming driver adjustibly bodywork means the f-duct as well. How will they monitor who is using it and who is not on the opening two laps? It is as simple as as pressing your knee to the nozzle to activate !!!!

I am sure FIA is going to botch it up again!!

mad_ani
24th June 2010, 07:10
We all do know that there will be adjustable wings for next year, but I haven't found any numbers yet, in the sense the angle that the flap would be allowed to change?

For the teams,esp smaller ones wouldn't it mean more expenditure in Wind tunnel testing?
optimising cars for an ideal set-up with the tire wear, with the fuel being consumed over the race distance?

2) There would be some separation distance when the following car would become totally engulfed in the wake and might render this small adjustment useless??

The added complexity of KERS comes into picture where the driver would have to engage the KERS button and go into the low drag mode and overtake along with other functions to control the car. Would it be safe to overly complicate things in this regard?

mad_ani
24th June 2010, 07:12
Passive F duct systems??...not sure if its on Merc's a couple of races before....where there is no driver movement??

NJB13
24th June 2010, 08:36
How are they going to monitor all this ? I am assuming driver adjustibly bodywork means the f-duct as well. How will they monitor who is using it and who is not on the opening two laps? It is as simple as as pressing your knee to the nozzle to activate !!!!

Don't be so sure on that! I have a photo taken at a secret FIA venue where they were testing some of their proposed driver monitoring gear on a rider.
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/spankyham/MonitorDrivers.gif

tifosi_kaka
24th June 2010, 08:51

I think you got it wrong, 'Driver adjustable bodywork' refers to adjustable front wing and rear wing. Drivers will only be able to use them when they're less than a second behind another car.

The ban on F-duct is covered in 'Aerodynamic influence', which says that no system using driver movement to an aerodynamic influence (e.g. Using arms to cover a hole at the side of the cockpit to activate f-duct) will be allowed.

Rishu
24th June 2010, 08:51
Don't be so sure on that! I have a photo taken at a secret FIA venue where they were testing some of their proposed driver monitoring gear on a rider.
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/spankyham/MonitorDrivers.gif

:rotfl

Tony79
24th June 2010, 09:06
Fuel draining
With immediate effect, if a sample of fuel is required after a practice session the car concerned must have first been driven back to the pits under its own power.

Poor Lewis.... No more pushing the car home!

vcs316
24th June 2010, 09:18
I think you got it wrong, 'Driver adjustable bodywork' refers to adjustable front wing and rear wing. Drivers will only be able to use them when they're less than a second behind another car.

The ban on F-duct is covered in 'Aerodynamic influence', which says that no system using driver movement to an aerodynamic influence (e.g. Using arms to cover a hole at the side of the cockpit to activate f-duct) will be allowed.

Oh ok, I just read that the f-duct is banned from next season. :-)

Another question::Hmm

How will the drivers know they are less than a second behind another car? How will they activate and deactivate the system? Wouldnt every driver claim that he thought he was less than a second behind and hence activated the system even though they weren't?

Am sorry, but i am very confused by this rule :oops

NJB13
24th June 2010, 09:23
Oh ok, I just read that the f-duct is banned from next season. :-)

Another question::Hmm

How will the drivers know they are less than a second behind another car? How will they activate and deactivate the system? Wouldnt every driver claim that he thought he was less than a second behind and hence activated the system even though they weren't?

Am sorry, but i am very confused by this rule :oops

This is not beyond current telemetry systems - or, they could use a "smoke and mirrors" system designed by the BBC commentary team. Under this system, a meter would be variable, for McCheaters it would be approximately 100 meters for Ferrari it would be about an inch.

vcs316
25th June 2010, 03:43
Drivers unimpressed by rear wing plan

Formula 1 drivers have expressed major reservations about the introduction of moveable rear wings next season - suggesting it could make the racing false and, more seriously, lead to safety worries.

The FIA gave the green light on Wednesday to plans for an adjustable rear wing to be introduced in 2011 - where drivers will be able to open up the slot gap in their rear wing for a straight-line speed boost to help overtake cars ahead of them.

With the rules dictating that the leading car will not be able to respond if his pursuer has got within one second of him in the previous sector, current drivers worry that the move could detract from the purity of F1.

Mark Webber said: "It is good for the PlayStation I think, but I don't know how well it is going to work in F1.

"We need to put some good research into it, understand it and make sure it is beneficial for everyone – the drivers, the show, the spectators and safety, which is a big thing."

He added: "Overtaking moves should be about pressurising, being skillful, and tactical. Yes we want to see more overtaking, of course we do, we know that, but we also need to keep the element of skill involved in overtaking and not just hitting buttons, like KERS, like adjustable rear wings.

"We need to get the balance right in having skillful races between each other, and not an IRL [IndyCar] race where you pass each other four times per lap and everyone gets bored of that."

Robert Kubica backed up Webber's views that the moveable wing may not bring the added dimension to the spectacle that the teams hoped for in coming up with the plan.

"If the wings move a lot we will see the cars overtake in a straight line and I don't think there is a lot of excitement to see that," said the Renault driver. "It still will be the same for everyone and we will see how it will be working. The [adjustable] front wing was introduced to help overtaking by following the other cars, and we have seen it didn't work out."

Lotus driver Jarno Trulli reckoned that there could be major safety concerns about the wing – and thought that it could be an idea for the FIA to introduce a standard unit.

"I've only read a little bit about the new regulations and the one I do not appreciate is the movable rear wing, just on the question of safety," said the Italian. "This may only be my stupid concern. I'm not reading into it too much and we will talk with the engineers but we have to make sure we can run it in a way that it is safe.

"I have the lost the rear wing a couple of time and it is one of the most dangerous things you can have happen to you because you are no longer in control of your car. Normally it fails at very high speed and you're going to end up hitting the wall. I do not want to have the worry of my rear wing failing. The front wing is slightly different even though it is still a problem, the rear wing is worse.

"I've had rear wing failures with Renault and Toyota, in testing, at Monza with Jordan and I have always been very lucky, but if you are not lucky it is bad."

He added: "We are definitely all looking for a better show and more overtaking, that's clear, and if this can help then it's very welcome but it's looking a bit too complicated with the conditions under which you can use it.

"My only concern is the rear wing. I will suggest to the FIA that they should design and give the same rear wing to everyone because if any there is no standardised wing, this might result in a failure and we do not want this."

Force India's Adrian Sutil added: "It's again very good for the show. I think it's not so good from a driving point of view, because if you defend your position well it doesn't really matter.

"If there's a car behind you and he has the advantage of the slipstream anyway, and then he turns down the wing and he will gain another five or 10 km/h. I don't know. There are just too many things going on, really."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84716

Raz
25th June 2010, 04:42
YESS Pirelli!!! P-Zero Rossos

vcs316
1st July 2010, 11:42
Moveable rear wing idea could be ditched

Plans for adjustable rear wings next year are not set in stone, according to Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) chairman Martin Whitmarsh.

The idea, that gives chasing drivers the ability to reduce drag and therefore make overtaking easier, was championed by FOTA and recently rubber-stamped by the FIA. But there has been some opposition since the announcement; primarily by those who think it is an unnecessary and artificial ploy, and also those who are concerned about safety.

"We will see whether people are convinced by it or not," said Whitmarsh.

He admitted the moveable rear wing was developed due to "fan-based pressure" to improve the spectacle of overtaking, but said it is not certain the innovation will actually debut.

"I think we have got to do a little bit more work on deployment and the sporting regulations that accompany it, and if we get that right we'll give it a go," said Whitmarsh. "If detracts or isn't right, it's easy to take it off. But let's have a look at it; it's a bit of an experiment."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

------------------------

Good news!! Didn't understand the concept anyway :-D

mad_ani
1st July 2010, 12:00
Moveable rear wing idea could be ditched

Plans for adjustable rear wings next year are not set in stone, according to Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) chairman Martin Whitmarsh.

The idea, that gives chasing drivers the ability to reduce drag and therefore make overtaking easier, was championed by FOTA and recently rubber-stamped by the FIA. But there has been some opposition since the announcement; primarily by those who think it is an unnecessary and artificial ploy, and also those who are concerned about safety.

"We will see whether people are convinced by it or not," said Whitmarsh.

He admitted the moveable rear wing was developed due to "fan-based pressure" to improve the spectacle of overtaking, but said it is not certain the innovation will actually debut.

"I think we have got to do a little bit more work on deployment and the sporting regulations that accompany it, and if we get that right we'll give it a go," said Whitmarsh. "If detracts or isn't right, it's easy to take it off. But let's have a look at it; it's a bit of an experiment."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

------------------------

Good news!! Didn't understand the concept anyway :-D

Would hardly make a difference given that a cars aerodynamics is greatly infulenced by the forntal aero package....no detailed explanations were give about the concept and of course does seem ridiculous considering that Kers is back as well....the drivers would have had to push kers and adjust wings and bloody hell...drive at250kmph.....

mad_ani
1st July 2010, 12:10
http://www.f1technical.net/news/15073?sid=90df46a174ea748437a91d80356ba39a

In a sudden turn of events, it is reported that Kimi Raikkonen is being considered to test the 2011-spec Pirelli tires, possibly taking the job away from current Mercedes reserve driver Nick Heidfeld. Although Finnish publication 'Turun Sanomat' quoted Pirelli's own Paul Hembery as saying, "I don’t know whether Kimi Raikkonen would be interested."
"Currently, Kimi is totally focused on what he is doing," said Steve Robertson, manager to Raikkonen. "But if Pirelli approaches us, of course we will discuss it. Then, it would depend on whether Kimi is interested in this sort of challenge, and how it would fit into his schedule."

Pirelli's personal testing with either a GP2 or non-current F1 car would commence before the end of season, with the teams then receiving two sets each to test themselves after the season finale in November.

mad_ani
1st July 2010, 12:13
Well non current F1 car??? Well with fuel loads the weight distribution is going to be a hell lot different and GP2 cars may not produce the lateral G forces to test a rubber compound....

Wonder if Bridgestone can provide some info to them so that the competetiveness is maintained...

Hornet
1st July 2010, 12:53
I think its a good idea to bring Kimi back to test them, a driver with lots of experience in F1 (and up to previous season), worked with top teams before, and yet at the same time is not currently tied to any F1 team

Its only fair they get someone outside of F1, and Kimi has just left F1 this year, his still quite up to date

epiclyaddicted
1st July 2010, 12:53
Why would Pirelli need Kimi for testing? There are loads of current F1 test drivers (Heidfeld, Fisichella, Gary Paffett, etc.) who are sitting round doing pretty much nothing. So why not just use one of them instead?

And for testing, you need lots of feedback, and for that, you need a driver who actually talks instead of answering everything with a "yes" or "no"... :-D

epiclyaddicted
1st July 2010, 16:13
From Autosport: (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84907)

F1 spec tyres to boost GP2 in 2011

GP2 teams have given an enthusiastic welcome to the news that the series will race on Formula 1 tyres for the first time next season when Pirelli takes over as supplier.

Under the new three-year deal, GP2 will run its entire season on one of the harder compounds being prepared for F1. Up to this point, it has used a bespoke Bridgestone Potenza.

The change will also mark a switch to F1-style narrower front tyres, and will coincide with the introduction of the new-generation GP2/11 car.

It comes as part of an ongoing push by the series to retain as many links to F1 as possible - and iSport team boss Paul Jackson says it will make GP2 even more important for drivers trying to prepare for F1.

"The change will keep the relevance for the drivers coming out of here into F1," Jackson told this week's AUTOSPORT magazine.

"They're used to the tyre, which is a big factor. So I think it will be a really good situation."

ali355
1st July 2010, 18:31
YESS Pirelli!!! P-Zero Rossos

Awful tyres. Had them on my Jag and they were horrible. Switched to Vredestein ultracs and the handling is transformed.
Anyway back on topic- maybe less data would be a better thing given some of the best racing seen this year was in Canada where Bridgestone had limited data on tyre degradation?
GP2 cars running on f1 rubber is a great idea- it will be one less thing for rookies graduating into f1 to worry about

crewskas
1st July 2010, 18:40
Awful tyres. Had them on my Jag and they were horrible. Switched to Vredestein ultracs and the handling is transformed.

Pirelli are awful, but Vredestein are not that good too...
You should try Uniroyal Rainsport 2...
I'm just amazed...

Ste
1st July 2010, 20:52
http://www.f1technical.net/news/15073?sid=90df46a174ea748437a91d80356ba39a

Kimi + Development = Disaster.

Seems like a strange idea since he's one of the drivers known to be completely un-interested in development.

Suzie
1st July 2010, 20:58
Forshure thesh tyres are good yesh.

hogo
2nd July 2010, 05:21
Kimi + Development = Disaster.

Seems like a strange idea since he's one of the drivers known to be completely un-interested in development.

This is a good idea actually. Bad tires will result in more exciting races. So go Kimi, show your testing skills!

Ant Raikkonen
2nd July 2010, 10:55
Forshure thesh tyres are good yesh.

Sean Connery? :-D

Ant Raikkonen
2nd July 2010, 11:01
Kimi testing for Pirelli? :haha:

I'm gonna grasp that with irony.

Agron
2nd July 2010, 11:30
This is a good idea actually. Bad tires will result in more exciting races. So go Kimi, show your testing skills!XDDDDDDDDD

Ant Raikkonen
2nd July 2010, 13:36
Pirelli has a new range of ice creams?