PDA

View Full Version : Alonso: Frustration will spur me on

vcs316
14th July 2010, 03:29
Fernando Alonso has pledged to turn his frustration at recent stewards' decisions into positive energy that will spur him back into the title fight.

Ferrari has been annoyed by a number of recent calls by the officials.

It lost out badly when its cars were caught behind the safety car in Valencia, and ended up tumbling down the order even though they had followed the rules to the letter – while others who transgressed in various ways ended up finishing higher even after penalties.

Then at Silverstone Alonso was given a drive-through penalty for cutting a corner overtaking Robert Kubica, where he would normally have just been ordered to let the Renault back past, had it not retired soon after the incident.

Because the safety car came out immediately after the stewards' penalty ruling, Alonso's punishment dropped him from fourth right to the back of the pack, from where he could only recover to 14th.

Having furiously accused the officials of 'manipulating' the race in Valencia, Alonso was expected to be in a rage again when he got out of the car in Britain, but instead he remained calm and said he accepted there was nothing he could do about the stewards' decisions.

Speaking in a video chat with fans on the Ferrari website, Alonso said he knew in Britain that the most constructive thing to do was to try and keep the team motivated and move on.

“Naturally, it’s frustrating,” he said.

“But it is precisely at times like these that you have to be stronger and united, looking to the future without losing motivation.

"We have to know how to make the most of the slightest opportunity and be ready to pick up every single point."

Alonso did acknowledge that the events of the British Grand Prix had fired him up even more to prove a point at Hockenheim in a fortnight.

"Races like this one at Silverstone just increase my will to race,” he said.

“I really want to get to the next round as quickly as possible, while using this energy in a positive and constructive way."

Having not won since the Bahrain season opener and not scored since his Montreal podium, Alonso is now 47 points adrift of leader Lewis Hamilton in the standings, and down to fifth place.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=48844&PO=48844