PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari, returning to the form we expect”· Posted by Felipe Massa

Rob
4th August 2010, 19:20
August 4, 2010 ·

I am back home in Brazil now for the summer break, having flown out of Budapest on Sunday night. It is good to be home after what was one of the busiest months I can remember in my time in Formula 1 and thankfully, it ended with a couple of good results that suggest Ferrari is returning to the form that we expect.

I think the Hungarian race result was about the best we could have hoped for, for several reasons; the pace of the Red Bulls, the fact the track is well known for not providing any overtaking opportunities and finally the fact I had a bit of bad luck in losing a place to Lewis (Hamilton) at the pit stop, when the Safety Car came out. But the luck swung back my way later on, when Lewis had an issue with his car and had to retire, which put me back to what you could call the “normal” position of fourth, which is where I had started from on the grid.

At the time, we opted for a double pit stop, with me coming in after Fernando, so why did we do this, instead of do what the winner Mark Webber did and just keep going on the soft tyres for longer? What Webber did was right, but only because of the pace he had in his car which allowed him to build up enough of a lead to pit without losing first place. This was the only reason and it would not have worked for us. Our double pit stop worked perfectly, because when I arrived at the garage, Fernando had already left and I only lost the place to Lewis because that can sometimes happen in the pits. Even with the double pit stop, I had the chance to fight for my position. To be honest, it was the right strategic decision.

In Germany, we seemed to have the fastest car and just a few days later, Red Bull were in a different league to all the other teams. They have nearly always been fastest, apart maybe from Bahrain and then Hockenheim. It is mainly related to the nature of the track. In Germany we and they qualified in much the same time and then we were quicker in the race, but in Hungary they were 1.2 seconds faster, which suggests to me that in Hockenheim they underperformed. Budapest was an important weekend for me on a personal level. Going back there after what happened a year ago and meeting the people in the circuit medical centre, who did such a fantastic job of getting me out of the car, in the ambulance and then into the helicopter was a great feeling. On Thursday I had dinner with the surgeon who operated on me and did an excellent job and all of this was something really special in my life. On track, I never thought about it when I was going through that corner, although I appreciated seeing the banners that some of the fans had in the grandstands with messages like “Welcome Back Felipe.” That was a nice gesture.

Now we have a long break, which means three weekends without racing and even though the momentum has picked up for Ferrari in the last couple of weeks, I am happy to have this pause. It is important for us drivers to have a rest after such a busy schedule in recent weeks and it is especially important for everyone in the team, who have worked so hard. I will be spending it at home with my family here in Brazil, relaxing and spending time with my son, which actually is quite a full time job!

www.ferrari.com

Rob
4th August 2010, 19:26
Going to the point that Felipe says about the pit stops. When he was arriving fernando was leaving, which he didnt have to wait behind him. Not loosing him time. But Hamilton pitted and before Felipe and left before him aswell. Where did he overtake him?

Silent Bob
4th August 2010, 20:33
Going to the point that Felipe says about the pit stops. When he was arriving fernando was leaving, which he didnt have to wait behind him. Not loosing him time. But Hamilton pitted and before Felipe and left before him aswell. Where did he overtake him?

Wasn't Hamilton behind Massa coming into the pits. He passed Massa only because Massa had to wait a bit longer for tires to arrive

Suzie
4th August 2010, 20:34
Thanks for posting this Rob :-)

Greig
4th August 2010, 20:37
I think he still lost some time, for them to get tyres ready and that's why Lewis jumped him.

512 TR
5th August 2010, 19:30
Who here believes the drivers are writing these short posts themselves at Ferrari.com? :lol

Rob
5th August 2010, 19:43
Wasn't Hamilton behind Massa coming into the pits. He passed Massa only because Massa had to wait a bit longer for tires to arrive

i must of missed very little bit of the begining of that stop. I looked up ans saw lewis go before felipe had stopped and jumped to the conculsion that he passed him before the pit lane. :-??

Rob
5th August 2010, 19:44
Thanks for posting this Rob :-)

:thumb

Suzie
5th August 2010, 19:46
Who here believes the drivers are writing these short posts themselves at Ferrari.com? :lol

I imagine that they get asked a few questions, or have a bit of a chat about their main thoughts, and then Luca Colajanni or whoever types it out and embellishes it slightly.

512 TR
5th August 2010, 21:41
I imagine that they get asked a few questions, or have a bit of a chat about their main thoughts, and then Luca Colajanni or whoever types it out and embellishes it slightly.

Only slightly? ;-)

Rishu
6th August 2010, 04:02
August 4, 2010 ·

Ferrari is returning to the form that we expect.

www.ferrari.com

Ferrari are but, Felipe isn't returing to form that we or rather i expect. I expect him to give more challenge to Fernando, same form that he displayed in 2008. having said that i remain optimistict that he will slowly but surely return to form:-)

bladeswing
6th August 2010, 06:21
i really wish felipe could drive the nuts out of the car. it would be nice seeing the two red cars' times so close, and faster than the rest. :-)

mad_ani
6th August 2010, 07:08
Ferrari were pretty much on pace in Valencia and Silverstone...guess Massa has found the setup more favorable to him by Gemany...hope his points will be vaulable in the WCC fight

Anni
6th August 2010, 10:14

Not Luc Colajanni is typing it, it´s Felipinho :-)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TYJrB8ZJQ8A/TDH0HpK4f5I/AAAAAAAAM3Y/TsZYtpTJeWU/s1600/25424524.jpg

justjesper
6th August 2010, 19:57
I think he still lost some time, for them to get tyres ready and that's why Lewis jumped him.

Yes it was a bit strange for me that Ferrari stacked them in the pit, but then again I did not see the whole race. So I can not say if it would had been better not to stack them.

justjesper
6th August 2010, 19:59
Ferrari are but, Felipe isn't returing to form that we or rather i expect. I expect him to give more challenge to Fernando, same form that he displayed in 2008. having said that i remain optimistict that he will slowly but surely return to form:-)

I think it shows that when you have not driven for some time then it's even harder to get up to speed.
I'm sure he will be much better next year :-)

Alonsomaniac
6th August 2010, 20:53
I too think that Felipe will get better and more consistent than he is now. Don't forget, he has come back from far.....we are all very lucky to see him in a Ferrari again.
I also think he will indeed be able to challenge Fernando occasionaly, but to be honest I think Fernando is the better driver of the two, although the difference is smaller than it seems right now.

Jack
6th August 2010, 22:09
If Ferrari wants a championship then Felipe must steal as many points as possible from Hamilton/Webber/Vettel. It's crucial for Felipe to return to the form he has had in previous years.

Rishu
7th August 2010, 03:42
I think it shows that when you have not driven for some time then it's even harder to get up to speed.
I'm sure he will be much better next year :-)

Yep. MS is one good example of your comment. 7 time Champion, & now struggling to even match his team mate

Rishu
7th August 2010, 03:45
I also think he will indeed be able to challenge Fernando occasionaly, but to be honest I think Fernando is the better driver of the two, although the difference is smaller than it seems right now.

Most of the drivers on grid have accepted that Alonso is the best driver on track, but you are right he needs to narrow that gap as much as possible

justjesper
7th August 2010, 03:56
Most of the drivers on grid have accepted that Alonso is the best driver on track, but you are right he needs to narrow that gap as much as possible

And where has any other driver ever said that. I like to see that.
Did Lewis say that ?
Did Mark Webber ?
How about Massa or Vettel ?
I bet there is no Driver who will say that Alonso is the best.
And before anyone gets a brain melt down , I'm not saying he is not good, so calm down.

Hornet
7th August 2010, 04:07
Yes it was a bit strange for me that Ferrari stacked them in the pit, but then again I did not see the whole race. So I can not say if it would had been better not to stack them.
The red bulls had the pace to let Webber stay out and turn it into an advantageous thing instead. But I doubt our pace can do something like that.

justjesper
7th August 2010, 04:16
just saw the race.
Of cause it's in hindsight but Massa would for sure had been in front of Vettel had we not stacked them. It looks more like the main goal is to try to get Alonso a title more, cause it cost the team.

Rishu
7th August 2010, 04:50
Did Lewis say that ?
Did Mark Webber ?
And before anyone gets a brain melt down , I'm not saying he is not good, so calm down.

http://www.f1network.net/main/s696/st160755.htm
http://forums.autosport.com/lofiversion/index.php/t133303.html
http://www.ethiopianreview.com/scitech/201001/?p=6777
http://topics.treehugger.com/article/0bVaele1JY9kW?q=Sustainable+OR+Sustainability

Enough?

Hermann
7th August 2010, 04:51
Did Lewis say that ?
Did Mark Webber ?

You are wrong though, it has been posted here i think. In an anonymous survey for the current active F1 drivers Fernando got the most votes for the best active driver. Hamilton only got 2 votes, Fernando 9.

Oh Rishu you beat me to it lol...

Rishu
7th August 2010, 04:56
Oh Rishu you beat me to it lol...

:-D

mad_ani
7th August 2010, 04:56

Maybe thats not what the Renault guys think of Alonso, according to the article...

Renault team boss Eric Boullier has lashed out at Fernando Alonso and the team's previous management following their disastrous 2009 campaign both on and off the track.

Despite having double World Champion Alonso on their books, the Enstone outfit finished eighth in the Constructors' Championship last year with just 26 points.

Away from the track things were much worse for the team as they were slapped with a suspended ban and lost major sponsors for fixing the result of the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix. The team also had to deal with the "will he or won't he leave for Ferrari saga" involving Alonso.

'No management to guide the team, and drivers which were not easy to work with, very arrogant and not pushing the team in the right way'...
Eric Boullier
Boullier, who took over as team principal at the start of this year following Flavio Briatore's ban, says the Alonso situation and drivers being "very arrogant" were some of the reasons for their poor showing last year.

"We knew on paper the team was capable of winning Championships, but also to be eighth last year," Boullier is quoted on Autosport.

"We started to understand where we could put the team back in a better position - and this is what we are doing now.

"I think there was a lack of management, a lack of guidance from the top management, a lack of clear objective. It's difficult to say, because I don't want to criticise anybody.

"[But] the drivers' situation... Alonso back at Renault after the McLaren situation, and being signed for Ferrari... a driver is a key asset for the team and if the driver is not motivated, not pushing the team enough... because he knew he was moving on.

"That was a key thing for me, and this is what [Robert] Kubica did. He brought a lot of freshness and a lot of motivation. The lack of results was bringing the team down, because they are very devoted - so no results were clearly very demotivating for them.

"No management to guide the team, and drivers which were not easy to work with, very arrogant and not pushing the team in the right way. That was clearly the main two components of what was wrong."

Renault are performing much better this season and are fifth in the standings with Kubica a podium visitor twice this year.

Boullier has nothing but praise for the Pole.

"The biggest strength is the devotion of the people," he said. "Competence, devotion and team spirit - this is very important, because it's when you can get the best from the people.

"The key for me is that the driver pushes the team because he wants to win, he clearly wants to do the best he can. That will change the scenario completely. For me that was the biggest weakness of the team last year, drivers not committed."

He may be good compared to a whole lot of other drivers.....but its hard to argue who the best is amognst the rest...and certainly Vettel or lewis or Button will not accept tht Alonso is the best...

Rishu
7th August 2010, 05:00
He may be good compared to a whole lot of other drivers.....but its hard to argue who the best is amognst the rest...and certainly Vettel or lewis or Button will not accept tht Alonso is the best...

The poll must be having a condtion in which you can not vote for yourself:-):-D

Eric Boullier is stupid if he is blaming Alonso for teams lack of performance. What is he doing? For what is he taking his salary?

justjesper
7th August 2010, 06:01
http://www.f1network.net/main/s696/st160755.htm
http://forums.autosport.com/lofiversion/index.php/t133303.html

Enough?

Ok. I take it back :-)

Rishu
7th August 2010, 06:02
Ok. I take it back :-)

:thumb

mad_ani
7th August 2010, 07:45
The poll must be having a condtion in which you can not vote for yourself:-):-D

Eric Boullier is stupid if he is blaming Alonso for teams lack of performance. What is he doing? For what is he taking his salary?

Well, I'll ask Alonso then...and see who he thinks is the best....

actually I think I know the answer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9oUii8XHYY

see 2:15 of that video :-)

Rishu
7th August 2010, 09:07
Well, I'll ask Alonso then...and see who he thinks is the best....

Alonso was voted the best "active" driver, not the all time best:-)