PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari's idea for new engines

Ken
6th June 2011, 09:32
Did anyone see this ??

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Ferrari-proposes-V6-ahead-of-Todt-meeting,24176.html

This would be more like F1 than an inline 4 cllinder

Looks like we have offered an alternative to JT's silly plan.

Would this alternative be acceptable ??

Hornet
6th June 2011, 10:06
Well, if Jean Green Todt is hell bent on removing V8, then a turbo charged V6 is certainly a good compromised, and also beneficial to these large car manufacturer as well, Ferrari, Renault, Mercedes. Who the hell use 4 cylinder in those fast luxurious road cars anyway right?

Ree
6th June 2011, 10:29
Sounds like a good compromise but I would be happier if they would just leave things alone for a while. The FIA talk of reducing costs and then constantly change the rules meaning teams have to pump in huge amounts of money in R & D.

xpman
6th June 2011, 10:51
http://youtu.be/deOcapJG8y0

The Turbo days :-) Ferrari used V6 turbos . Lov see the V6 Turbo's back in a Ferrari
IMO the 126c is my fav of All Ferrari F1 cars.

Ken
6th June 2011, 11:21
http://youtu.be/deOcapJG8y0

The Turbo days :-) Ferrari used V6 turbos . Lov see the V6 Turbo's back in a Ferrari
IMO the 126c is my fav of All Ferrari F1 cars.

Those were the days when cars ran nose to tail, maybe the FAI rule book has become to severe and its the problem ??

hogo
6th June 2011, 11:38
Sounds like a good compromise but I would be happier if they would just leave things alone for a while. The FIA talk of reducing costs and then constantly change the rules meaning teams have to pump in huge amounts of money in R & D.

Exactly, hypocrisy at it's best.

omar_baki
6th June 2011, 15:44
This is Foruma 1 for god's sake. V6's have no place in this sport. I don't think V8's do either. Its V10+ or nothing. They killed the sport when they went to V8's. I just don't know how many times you can keep stabbing a dead corpse.

DINO 246
6th June 2011, 16:39
IMO a turbo 6cyl is not a bad idea. F1 should be in the forefront of automotive technology. Just think of everything passed down to the cars we drive from racing. The 8cyl has always been king in the US, but with our current gas prices people are beginning to rethink this. The 6cyl will relate more to the cars we drive today. However there is nothing that beats the sound and performance of a 12cyl Ferrari!

scuderiafan
6th June 2011, 16:42
im sure that in a couple of years, whatever the engine they could have it making 800+ bhp.

main thing i want is NO ENGINE FREEZE!

i know it wont happen because of the costs, but the engine suppliers could afford it.

so maybe limit the power and torque to around 800-900bhp, but allow development in other areas like efficiency.

Kyss4k
6th June 2011, 17:51
im sure that in a couple of years, whatever the engine they could have it making 800+ bhp.

main thing i want is NO ENGINE FREEZE!

i know it wont happen because of the costs, but the engine suppliers could afford it.

so maybe limit the power and torque to around 800-900bhp, but allow development in other areas like efficiency.

Exactly! This is what FIA wants. I mean they want the new engines to be green right? So why just don't let teams develop engines in terms of effiiciency (fuel consumption...). It would be good for FIA and for the teams as well because less fuel = better speed.

I would just set some limitations of max hp, rpm emissions and let the manufacturers think. You can do it with V10? Great for us! You can do it with R/V4 good for FIA.

Tifoso
6th June 2011, 18:04
I like this idea very much. :-)

Let's go back to V10's, though :-D

Ken
6th June 2011, 21:29
If developing fuel efficient engines is the FIA's goal

How about an idea taken from a very specialized form of model aircraft racing.

The aircraft has to be built to a very strict set of rules regarding the air frame and has to pass safety checks and measurements.

But here is the bit the aeroplane is only allowed to carry a precise amount of fuel in order to complete the distance of 130 miles for heats and 160 miles for the final.

That is the fuel tank in this example is not allowed to be any greater than 7.5 cc's, note the engine size is only 2.5 cc's swept volume.

This amount of fuel is not sufficient to complete the distance and when originaly introduced we needed 4 refuelling stops to go the distance and as time progressed with the advance of of model engine technology we got it down to 2 pit stops (gawd we were good ).

So our governing body decided to reduce the tank size to only 5 CC's to make sure there would be a minimum of 3 pit stops and guess what a couple of very clever russians developed a 2.5 cc engine that could get the distance done with only 2 pit stops and still kept the speed of model up in the 90 MPH zone.

Therefore my arguement goes forget about no of cylinders and turbo or not Just say to the teams the race must be completed using a restricted size of fuel tank.

Now wouldnt that have the engine manufacturers, the aero guys and designers scratching their heads trying to work out whether a small mean engine needing to pit less but not so quick Vs a large fast engine maybe having to pit a few times to complete the distance .

I should be in JT's job :-D

voiko
6th June 2011, 21:47

The aircraft has to be built to a very strict set of rules regarding the air frame and has to pass safety checks and measurements.

But here is the bit the aeroplane is only allowed to carry a precise amount of fuel in order to complete the distance of 130 miles for heats and 160 miles for the final.

That is the fuel tank in this example is not allowed to be any greater than 7.5 cc's, note the engine size is only 2.5 cc's swept volume.

This amount of fuel is not sufficient to complete the distance and when originaly introduced we needed 4 refuelling stops to go the distance and as time progressed with the advance of of model engine technology we got it down to 2 pit stops (gawd we were good ).

So our governing body decided to reduce the tank size to only 5 CC's to make sure there would be a minimum of 3 pit stops and guess what a couple of very clever russians developed a 2.5 cc engine that could get the distance done with only 2 pit stops and still kept the speed of model up in the 90 MPH zone.

Therefore my arguement goes forget about no of cylinders and turbo or not Just say to the teams the race must be completed using a restricted size of fuel tank.

Now wouldnt that have the engine manufacturers, the aero guys and designers scratching their heads trying to work out whether a small mean engine needing to pit less but not so quick Vs a large fast engine maybe having to pit a few times to complete the distance .

+1!!!!

Kyss4k
7th June 2011, 09:26

Yea, exactly what I said. This is imo the best possible way for us, FIA, teams and world.