PDA

View Full Version : Heidfeld targets Alonso scalp

Rishu
9th June 2011, 15:57
Nick Heidfeld says he is targeting beating Fernando Alonso to fifth place in the drivers' championship.

Renault made an encouraging start to the season with two podiums from the first two races, but has so far failed to match the development rate of Ferrari as they both chase Red Bull and McLaren. Heidfeld's eighth place in Monaco moved him back above Nico Rosberg in to sixth in the standings, and he said that despite the 40 point gap, overhauling Alonso was his overall aim.

"I think it's quite a long distance if you look at the points," Heidfeld said. "But nevertheless that's my target; I believe it's the teams target as well to move forward. I think that right now we're not in the strongest position but on the positive side we still manage to score points and I know that we have learned and understood a lot about the car over the last couple of weeks and there's development coming. It will not be here this weekend in one go, but I know that we will move forward and hopefully quicker than the others."

Heidfeld also said that qualifying was an area he was looking to improve on having started the last two races in 15th and 24th places, but that there would be opportunities to gain positions during the race in Montreal.

"Of course it always helps to have a good qualifying. I think here in Canada overtaking is possible anyway, and we are obviously working hard - everybody in the team - to improve on all parts; on the car, on qualifying, and looking forward to maximising the potential there as well."

http://en.espnf1.com/canada/motorsport/story/50998.html

:rotfl

His first target should be to win his first race :-)

luicchi
9th June 2011, 16:05
his target it´s to hit the first wall ...
this guy since the beginning of the season that speaks in beating Ferrari and blablabla, and now Alonso ...
Heidfeld get real, you're being silly and inappropriate...

scuderiafan
9th June 2011, 16:07
eh, Nick. Renault started the year 3rd fastest, now they are looking at Sauber, who are closing in. Renault dont have the resources, and 'Quick Nick' should do his talking on the track, rather than saying stupid things.

brava
9th June 2011, 16:13
Didn't know Heidfeld was so funny guy :lol

Katu
9th June 2011, 16:16
good old nick, i already forgot what a joker he is
nick should first start with beating his teammate in qualifying... then talk about beating someone in points deparment

Rishu
9th June 2011, 16:30
I would have taken those words seriously if Robert Kubica was driving car number 9

F2008
9th June 2011, 16:34
The Renault car has been pretty good so far but he should watch out for Massa really.

Jose Lorca
9th June 2011, 17:01
Renault don't have the resources to even get close to Ferrari - and Alonso is much much better as a driver.

- Alonso is in the 3rd fastest car
- Heidfeld is in the 5th fastest car

I remember those roles were reversed in 2008, and there was a battle for 5th in the Championship. Look who won that fight.

Tony
9th June 2011, 17:23
Don't understand what's so funny? Alonso's goal is to beat Vettel, is that any more likely than Heidfeld catching Alonso?

TheProdigalSon
9th June 2011, 17:27
Don't understand what's so funny? Alonso's goal is to beat Vettel, is that any more likely than Heidfeld catching Alonso?

2 time WDC winner in historic team versus No time grand prix winner that is getting trounced by his team mate.

Suzie
9th June 2011, 17:27
Nick just wants to get the most points possible and obviously sees 5th as a realistic target. No need to laugh at what the guy is saying :-)

de Portago
9th June 2011, 17:29

I don't know.

But it sound hilarious coming from the guy who is making a plonker like Petrov look fast and who holds the record of highest number of races entered without a win in the current grid.3

They should change his nickname from Quicknick to Movingchicane :lol

Meiga
9th June 2011, 17:39

Well, I think that we all certainly hope it is! He was not that far away last season, and I for one still believe Ferrari can come back strong. So yep, the red cars are targeting the red bulls - and after all this is F1, not Sanfermines! ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKouN9IRVcg&feature=related

de Portago
9th June 2011, 17:54
Well, I think that we all certainly hope it is! He was not that far away last season, and I for one still believe Ferrari can come back strong. So yep, the red cars are targeting the red bulls - and after all this is F1, not Sanfermines! ;-)

Bullfighting is the only art in which the artist is in danger of death and in which the degree of brilliance in the performance is left to the fighter's honor.
Ernest Hemingway

shostak
9th June 2011, 18:00
Bullfighting is the only art in which the artist is in danger of death and in which the degree of brilliance in the performance is left to the fighter's honor.
Ernest Hemingway

Sorry, but for me bullfighting is not art, that is torturing and killing bulls. Not all spanish people are in favour of bullfighting.

crewskas
9th June 2011, 18:08
Sorry, but for me bullfighting is not art, that is torturing and killing bulls. Not all spanish people are in favour of bullfighting.

Totally agree with you...!

I can't stand people having fun with animals by slowly killing them, just for a show...

It's disgusting and all it does, is showing how brutal our kind is...

de Portago
9th June 2011, 18:30
This is not the place to discuss the matter. But in any event, you are qualifying something that you obviously do not understand. But anyway....

shostak
9th June 2011, 18:53
This is not the place to discuss the matter. But in any event, you are qualifying something that you obviously do not understand. But anyway....

Mahatma Gandhi: "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

And i finnish the offtopic messages now.

crewskas
9th June 2011, 19:04
I didn't know you have to be an expert in bullfighting to judge if it is a brutal show for fun...

Maybe we should do it, in cats/dogs/horses/bears...

So much fun...

And what an art. :-)

Speechless...

Nothing left to say on this matter so I finish too with the offtopic messages. It seems as a humankind we still need moral improvement.

Suzie
9th June 2011, 19:05
Totally agree with you...!

I can't stand people having fun with animals by slowly killing them, just for a show...

It's disgusting and all it does, is showing how brutal our kind is...

:thumb

Tony
9th June 2011, 19:09
Right so back to Alonso and Heidfeld.... I think most of you agree that even a skilled driver cannot overcome a significantly faster car.... therefore, if Renault make larger strides than Ferrari, it is entirely possible for Heidfeld to catch Alonso.... I see no problem with setting goals for yourself and your team.... it's not like Renault is aiming their crosshairs at Red Bull....

TheProdigalSon
9th June 2011, 19:12
Right so back to Alonso and Heidfeld.... I think most of you agree that even a skilled driver cannot overcome a significantly faster car.... therefore, if Renault make larger strides than Ferrari, it is entirely possible for Heidfeld to catch Alonso.... I see no problem with setting goals for yourself and your team.... it's not like Renault is aiming their crosshairs at Red Bull....

First he needs to stop getting out qualified by his team-mate. Renault (or whatever there called) simply can't keep up over the course of a season with the top teams, they were aiming for victory at monaco but were knowhere to be seen.

de Portago
9th June 2011, 19:17
And what an art. :-)

Speechless...

Thus, Hemingway, Picasso, Lorca, Ferruccio Lamborghini and others were a bunch of blood-lover illiterartii.

Good then.

Bullgifhting is a culturally important tradition and a fully developed art form on par with painting, dancing and music, and if it were to be banished from the face of earth the Spanish bull would dissapear as an animal species.

Tony
9th June 2011, 19:29
Guys can we please stop debating the merits of bull fighting before this thread gets closed.... this will turn into one of those political discussions regarding animal rights....

Tony
9th June 2011, 19:31
First he needs to stop getting out qualified by his team-mate. Renault (or whatever there called) simply can't keep up over the course of a season with the top teams, they were aiming for victory at monaco but were knowhere to be seen.

I again ask what is wrong with setting goals for his team? There is a 74 point gap between Alonso and Red Bull and only a 40 point gap between Heidfeld and Alonso....

de Portago
9th June 2011, 19:31
Some automotive connection for ya:

(Lamborghini) Identity

The world of bullfighting is a key part of Lamborghini's identity. In 1962, Ferruccio Lamborghini visited the Seville ranch of Don Eduardo Miura, a renowned breeder of Spanish fighting bulls. Lamborghini, a Taurus himself, was so impressed by the majestic Miura animals that he decided to adopt a raging bull as the emblem for the automaker he would open shortly.

After producing two cars with alphanumeric designations, Lamborghini once again turned to the bull breeder for inspiration. Don Eduardo was filled with pride when he learned that Ferruccio had named a car for his family and their line of bulls; the fourth Miura to be produced was unveiled to him at his ranch in Seville.

The automaker would continue to draw upon the bullfighting connection in future years. The Islero was named for the Miura bull that killed the famed bullfighter Manolete in 1947. Espada is the Spanish word for sword, sometimes used to refer to the bullfighter himself. The Jarama's name carried a special double meaning; intended to refer only to the historic bullfighting region in Spain, Ferruccio was concerned about confusion with the also historic Jarama motor racing track.

The Diablo was named for a legendary bull, while the Countach broke from the bullfighting tradition.

After christening the Urraco after a bull breed, in 1974, Lamborghini broke from tradition, naming the Countach not for a bull, but for countach!, an exclamation of astonishment used by Piedmontese men upon sighting a beautiful woman. Legend has it that stylist Nuccio Bertone uttered the word in surprise when he first laid eyes on the Countach prototype, "Project 112". The LM002 sport utility vehicle and the Silhouette were other exceptions to the tradition.

The Jalpa of 1982 was named for a bull breed; Diablo, for the Duke of Veragua's ferocious bull famous for fighting an epic battle against "El Chicorro" in Madrid in 1869; Murciélago, the legendary bull whose life was spared by "El Lagartijo" for his performance in 1879; Gallardo, named for one of the five ancestral castes of the Spanish fighting bull breed; and Reventón, the bull that defeated young Mexican torero Félix Guzmán in 1943. The Estoque concept of 2008 was named for the estoc, the sword traditionally used by matadors during bullfights.

Aventador
The etymology of the name comes from Lamborghini's traditional fascination with the world of bullfighting. In this case, the Aventador was named for a Spanish fighting bull from the breeding stables of the sons of Don Celestino Cuadri Vides. Signed number 32 on his hide, Aventador gained fame in 1993 in the town of Zaragoza, Spain after a notably spirited, bloody and violent battle with a torero that earned it the “Trofeo de la Peña La Madroñera" for its courage.

Tony
9th June 2011, 19:33
Does no one listen....

crewskas
9th June 2011, 19:35
Hemingway, Picasso, Lorca, Ferruccio Lamborghini and others were a bunch of blood-lovers

Exactly...

I don't think I have to search and mention how many artists and big minds (and not tractor manufacturers like Lamborghini :lol ) are against it.
Because the list is certainly larger than this bunch of blood-lovers...
Keep painting, dancing and music if you like.
Leave the bulls alongside with their cows and I'm pretty sure the Spanish bull will still be there for centuries...
Unless you can prove of course, bulls and cows have disappeared from anywhere else in the world... :-)

REDARMYSOJA
9th June 2011, 19:43
Does no one listen....

Doesn't appear so. Perhaps you should be more forceful in your persuasion. ;-)

Suzie
9th June 2011, 19:46
Would rather not read about glorified animal murder on an F1 forum, thanks all the same.

Greig
9th June 2011, 19:46
what a load of bull

Tony
9th June 2011, 19:49
Doesn't appear so. Perhaps you should be more forceful in your persuasion. ;-)

Yeah, I tried lol....

Greig
9th June 2011, 19:54
Montoya rules

jajajaja

REDARMYSOJA
9th June 2011, 20:05
This modding is hard work. I think we all deserve ice cream and a coke. If it's good enough for Kimi..

Greig
9th June 2011, 20:06
If we lock every thread then I can always be right?

Tony
9th June 2011, 20:10
Haha, you can be right about everything except for Montoya lol.... I still wish I could have met that guy in person so I could have.... err, nevermind lol....

This modding is hard work. I think we all deserve ice cream and a coke. If it's good enough for Kimi..

LOL I'll send you a magnum.... the ice cream i mean.... lol.....

Tony
9th June 2011, 20:11
what a load of bull

By the way nice pun lol....

REDARMYSOJA
9th June 2011, 20:15
If we lock every thread then I can always be right?

You are always right, and it's very irritating I might add. :-D

REDARMYSOJA
9th June 2011, 20:16
LOL I'll send you a magnum.... the ice cream i mean.... lol.....

Good, they're still not in the stores here. I was begining to think I'd have to write to Kimi for one.