PDA

View Full Version : Webber made to wait on future

ThetakedownUK
10th June 2011, 08:22
Whatever!!! You gotta love P.R bull..This dude is gone... Ive no doubt Shamilton will take his seat next and already signed a contract. Thats why Ramilton has been slagging off his team of late because he knows he wont be there next year..

http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsport/story/51097.html

Mark Webber will have to wait until later this year for Red Bull to discuss his future at the team, despite telling team principal Christian Horner he wants to stay for another season.

Webber had previously said that any future decision would be based on his motivation to continue racing in Formula One, and as a result the agreement between himself and Red Bull has been to extend his contract on a yearly basis. Horner said that Webber had informed him he wanted to continue next season, but said no talks would take place until later in the year.

"Mark's made it clear he wants to drive next year," Horner said. "With regard to points, Mark has had the best start to a campaign in his career in Formula One to date. However, he has struggled with the new Pirelli tyres, but he is working hard to get to grips with that. He is still a fierce competitor and pushing very hard, as we saw in Barcelona a few weeks ago when he achieved his first pole position of the year.

"As far as the future is concerned, at this stage in his career we have agreed to take one step at a time, and at the appropriate time we will sit down and talk about that future. We've only competed in six grands prix out of probably 19, so some time later in the summer we will discuss next year."

Despite appearing reluctant to tie Webber down to a new deal any time soon, Horner said the team was happy with his performances and that any new contract would be easy to agree.

"At the end of the day it's down to the team and Mark to continue our relationship. We have wanted to see whether he has the motivation and desire that he clearly has. As I say, he's had these issues with the tyres he's working hard to get on top of, but we're very happy with him within the team. Should we sit down, then conversations with him tend to be straightforward

Stormsearcher
10th June 2011, 08:34
Its plain to see i guess. Webber is out of RB. Question is who replaces him. Lewser or Nico or the returning Kubica. I dont see anybody else in that seat.
Where is webber headed? I think he might replace moo-bens at Williams. End of the road of rubens i think.

Hermann
10th June 2011, 09:06
Hamilton won't go anywhere, Nico as well, and if Webber leaves at the end of the season the only one who could replace him is Ricciardo maybe. But speculation is always fun- the last really exciting thing happening was Fernando signing for Ferrari one year earlier than planned :lou

Katu
10th June 2011, 09:25
Nico can't drive for RB. he already has contract with Merc and considering gossip also with Ferrari... if he happens to take RB's offer too, this would beat Button-gates anytime

Jose Lorca
10th June 2011, 09:25
I see this going two ways:

1. Webber signs with Red Bull as No.2 Driver
2. Webber is replaced

Webber's performances have been appalling, and we all know it. There's no way Red Bull will sign another contract on equal terms with Vettel. We all know that Red Bull are building their team around Vettel, (http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsport/story/31746.html) so it's clear that Webber's last chance at title success came in 2010.

ThetakedownUK
10th June 2011, 09:39
Hamilton won't go anywhere

Really?

The Daily Mail said: "The reality is that he will not abandon the team unless this season is a total disaster and there is a vacancy in a rival competitive team."

The newspaper also said Red Bull is a viable option for Hamilton in 2012, even though that team might risk destabilisation by ousting Mark Webber

Hermann
10th June 2011, 09:43
Really?

The Daily Mail said: "The reality is that he will not abandon the team unless this season is a total disaster and there is a vacancy in a rival competitive team."

The newspaper also said Red Bull is a viable option for Hamilton in 2012, even though that team might risk destabilisation by ousting Mark Webber

Yes, really. Trust me, he won't be leaving McLaren. Not in the near future that is. Daily Mail- well even a blind hen might find a corn sometimes :roll

But hey, speculation is bread and butter of forums. Don't let some pragmatic guy from Germany stop you :-D :wave

Stormsearcher
10th June 2011, 09:58
A year back i would have argued that Lewser wont leave Macca. But the way he is behaving off late seems to suggest two things-
1. He is trying to get out, slagging the team etc.,
2. He is really frustrated with the team/car/situation. That brat is used to driving a winning car and it must be getting to him that vettel atm has that.

So if this is the case, he could easily jump ship to RB. I dont think he is scared of vettel, and should RB offer a deal which gives him equal status in the team, you can bet he will take it.
Jenson cant lead the team, so that leaves one big seat a McLaren which no rookie or new comer will take. It has to be a experienced enough driver. Webber? On equal terms, i would easily bet on him taking Jenson.

Greig
10th June 2011, 10:00
Really?

Daily Mail that well known good honest news source :lol

I don't seen any need for Red Bull to move for Hamilton, they have exactly what they want, Vettel on top

Jose Lorca
10th June 2011, 10:09
A year back i would have argued that Lewser wont leave Macca. But the way he is behaving off late seems to suggest two things-
1. He is trying to get out, slagging the team etc.,
2. He is really frustrated with the team/car/situation. That brat is used to driving a winning car and it must be getting to him that vettel atm has that.

I would go with the second option to be honest. Despite the fact that McLaren have been faster in the last 2 races (according to Lowe), Vettel keeps winning, and Hamilton can't handle being owned by Vettel. He thinks he's better than everyone else and blames the car, the team or other drivers for his failings.

Stormsearcher
10th June 2011, 10:16
On the other hand, as Greig pointed out, RB have what they want. I doubt they would bring in another top driver, especially one as cocky as lewis into the fray and spoil the harmony of the team; and who knows, end up losing both (as macca did with kimi and JPM).
So while RB seems to be the only team (other than ferrari) that lewis might consider moving to... i very much doubt those teams would want him at the moment. So it would be interesting to see who fills webbers spot. Possibly a rookie.

Rishu
10th June 2011, 10:20
Webber is a fine No.2, no need to change if I am CH. Though this year he is in the best position (as compared to LH, BJ & FA) to challenge Vettel, he is not exactly putting that much pressure on his team mate but enough to contribute to WCC & this is perfect situation for RB

ThetakedownUK
10th June 2011, 10:29
Daily Mail that well known good honest news source :lol

I don't seen any need for Red Bull to move for Hamilton

Lets see who is right by the end of the year.. Me or Greig.. LOL :thumb

Greig
10th June 2011, 10:41
Daily Mail or Greig, I will take my chances tbh :-)

Others have said the same as me, don't take things so personally :-)

ThetakedownUK
10th June 2011, 11:10

I wasnt..:wave

Mrs.Domenicali
10th June 2011, 11:33
I think it has been suggested if Mark Webber leaves they would first look at promoting someone from Torro Rosso up to the seat. I think Webber will still be there next year, mentions of Hamilton are probably to get Webber to sign a cheaper contract ;-)

Corey
10th June 2011, 12:02
Funny. Last year it was Webber who said at Silverstone he would never have signed the contract if he knew he'd be treated this way.(The new front wing issue) Now it's the other way around saying that the team needs a bit more time to see what they're going to do about the Webber-Redbull deal.

aroutis
10th June 2011, 12:25
Ok reality check here :
a. No way RBR would want someone to be on equal status with Vettel (just remember last season).
b. If they let Webber go, they'll go for someone else that will play second fiddle (reason ? a.)
c. No way would Lewis go somewhere that he would not be the favorite son (it's why he has no place in Ferrari right now, it's why he won't go to RBR while Vettel is their #1).

ThetakedownUK
10th June 2011, 13:01
Just another snippet from BBCF1 Website (bit more creditable that a daily rag ;-) )

Team principal Christian Horner said:"One of the questions we had was does he still have the motivation and desire. We believe he does and we're happy to continue."

Webber was not immediately available for comment

Look at this clip from 1min in. Love how drivers say one thing, then when they get told to back peddal they suddenly say the opposite...love it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHT-rVxJkbg&feature=related

Watch this clip from 50 seconds on.. Marks face says it all. Ive never liked Webber. IMO he is a very loud mouthed, over opinionated idiot...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-nkNJxJoLU

Aussie
10th June 2011, 15:53
Webber will stay if not Ricciardo will be next

scuderiafan
10th June 2011, 16:27

Tbh, i would take anyone over the daily mail (or daily fail as it is also known by). ;-)

raylinds
10th June 2011, 19:00
Webber is a fine No.2, no need to change if I am CH. Though this year he is in the best position (as compared to LH, BJ & FA) to challenge Vettel, he is not exactly putting that much pressure on his team mate but enough to contribute to WCC & this is perfect situation for RB

I agree.

ThetakedownUK
11th June 2011, 11:24
Interesting.. Now Mark himself is being cagey about next year.. Look at the video footage at the end. Clearly looked like a man who was uncomfatble..hehe

Red Bull's Mark Webber has cast doubt on whether he will stay at the team next year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13722506.stm

on Friday Webber said: "We'll see how we go. There's a bit to go yet in the summer. [I'll] keep thinking."

Greig
11th June 2011, 12:44
Who really cares tbh :-)

ThetakedownUK
11th June 2011, 13:12
Looks like its shaping up to be true. I reckon Webber to Williams next year and Ramilton to RBR... We will see :-D

Suzie
11th June 2011, 13:34
Looks like its shaping up to be true. I reckon Webber to Williams next year and Ramilton to RBR... We will see :-D

You seem to be transfixed with Webber's future at Red Bull... do you have a bet on or something? ;-)

Mrs.Domenicali
11th June 2011, 14:03
You seem to be transfixed with Webber's future at Red Bull... do you have a bet on or something? ;-)

Wake up Suzie ;-) c'mon we all know that Webber has to leave Red Bull for Massa to leave Ferrari for Rosberg to leave Mercedes for Hamilton to take on Schumacher and prove he is better and for Flavio Briatore to take over the world - or something :-)

ThetakedownUK
11th June 2011, 14:22

LOL no but maybe your onto something, might put a bet on :rock

Mrs.Domenicali
12th June 2011, 09:13
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92239

Webber: No rush to sort out contract

By Jonathan Noble Saturday, June 11th 2011, 22:20 GMT

Mark Webber says he remains in no rush to try and sort out a fresh contract with Red Bull Racing for 2012, despite claiming his current focus is on staying at the team for another year.

Red Bull Racing boss Christian Horner prompted speculation that Webber is in the driving seat to remain as Sebastian Vettel's team-mate for another year earlier this weekend when he revealed the Australian had told him he wanted to race on.

And although neither party plans to enter serious contract negotiations until the summer, Webber said in Montreal on Saturday that he saw no reason to be thinking of anything other than staying at Red Bull Racing.

"I am comfortable, mate," said Webber, when asked by AUTOSPORT about his reaction to what Horner had said:

"I'm very comfortable. I am happy here. The guys have done a phenomenal job for me in terms of on the floor. The boys and mechanics, I am very happy with all that.

"But we will just keep talking. We don't have to rush. There is time to talk so we will keep doing that."

When asked if he was looking at options elsewhere on the grid, Webber said: "No."

Webber's contract has most recently been renewed on a year-by-year basis, with the team and driver both keen to keep their options open as their partnership continues.

As well as a future path at Red Bull Racing, speculation has also linked Webber with a move to Ferrari - although the Italian outfit recently said that Felipe Massa would definitely be staying for 2012.

ThetakedownUK
13th June 2011, 11:20
Well Well Well.

Hamilton in fresh Red Bull link

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92327

McLaren looks set to have a fight on its hands to keep Lewis Hamilton on board for the long term after the British driver sounded out Red Bull Racing about future plans in Canada last weekend, AUTOSPORT has learned.

During an ultimately difficult event for Hamilton, who had gone into the Montreal grand prix as favourite for victory but suffered a troubled qualifying and an early exit from the race, fresh speculation emerged about what he intends to do after his current contract ends in 2012.

AUTOSPORT can reveal that Hamilton met for private talks with Red Bull Racing chief Christian Horner at the team's office buildings on Saturday evening - where the two spent at least 15 minutes together chatting in private.

Although it is not known exactly what they talked about, as one Red Bull source cheekily dismissed the get-together as nothing more than a 'social visit', it would be unlikely that the pair did not discuss future intentions.

There is no suggestion that it was anything more than a preliminary chat, or that the talks will definitely develop into something in the future, but Hamilton's actions are of intrigue amid signs of growing frustration at the competitiveness of McLaren at a time when Hamilton is in the prime of his career.

His crashes in Monaco and Canada, which have led to criticism of his mindset, are borne of the fact that he has to push so hard to try and beat Red Bull Racing.

Hamilton had started the season as Sebastian Vettel's main threat for title glory, and his challenge for the championship had looked strong when he grabbed victory in the Chinese Grand Prix.

However, since then McLaren has not made the progress that it had hoped with its car and Hamilton's difficulties in Monaco and Montreal – two races he had been expected to win – have left him 76 points adrift of Vettel in the standings.

The performance in Canada last weekend was much more of a disappointment because he had gone into the weekend as clear favourite for the victory – only for McLaren to have made an error with the drag levels it needed to take the fight to Red Bull Racing and Ferrari in qualifying.

Longer term, Hamilton and his new management team of Simon Fuller's XIX Entertainment are widely known to be weighing up future intentions for when his current contract ends after 2012, and there must be some thought being given to the fact that McLaren has not been a pacesetter in F1 since his title season in 2008.

Hamilton's only real options for the future, in terms of giving him the best chance of having a frontrunning car, are either to remain at McLaren, or make the switch to Ferrari or Red Bull Racing.

Ferrari appears to be a closed door, however, with Fernando Alonso having signed a long-term deal and the Spaniard likely to be resistant to renewing a team partnership that turned so sour when he and Hamilton were together at McLaren in 2007.

And although Red Bull Racing would appear to be an unlikely destination, with the team currently so focused on Vettel, the capture of a top-line driver like Hamilton for 2013 could be viewed as a huge coup for Red Bull chief Dietrich Mateschitz.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh has played down talk of Hamilton's frustrations, however, and thinks there are no worries about his driver's mindset at the moment.

"I think he has had an unfortunate run," said Whitmarsh when asked by AUTOSPORT about Hamilton's current difficulties. "But I think he has to be the racer he is, and I am sure he will be. I am sure he is disappointed, but he is enjoying the win for the team."

Hamilton's latest links with Red Bull Racing are nothing new and earlier this season, on the back of McLaren's troubled pre-season testing programme, there was already speculation suggesting that the driver and team could get together from 2013.

At the time, however, Hamilton insisted that his focus remained wholly on McLaren – although he did not rule out a potential switch in the future.

"Of course, I'm going to be in Formula 1 for some time, and you never know which way the wind will take you," he said in March. "As I said, for now, I'm committed to trying to make this team the most successful it can be, and I feel we can do that."

Red Bull Racing also moved at the time to play down the prospects of partnering Vettel and Hamilton – although the idea was not totally dismissed.

"It's difficult to see how you could have two drivers of Lewis and Sebastian's calibre under one roof," said Horner, during a media briefing at Silverstone.

"There tends to be fireworks, as we saw with Fernando Alonso and Lewis. So we're very happy with the line-up that we have and we'll see how things evolve."

Despite the difficulties Hamilton is facing in his current situation, those who know the former world champion well have moved quickly to suggest he will lift himself out of the troubles he is facing.

Mercedes-Benz motorsport boss Norbert Haug, who has helped guide Hamilton's career for many years, thinks that the Briton is simply going through the kind of difficult phases that all drivers experience in their careers.

"I understand Lewis perfectly and I will defend him," Haug told AUTOSPORT. "He is a good driver, he is a friend and I do not share the criticism that is on him.

"We will support him and he is a great driver. There are phases that you have to go through. There are difficult times but he will deliver okay and he is one of the great guys in the field. Of course he gets a lot of criticism, but this will make him only stronger."

Mrs.Domenicali
13th June 2011, 13:19
Great - if Hamilton goes to Red Bull he can take Vettel out of the championship every race :lol

I don't know why but I can't see it happening, Red Bull seem quite happy with their lot at present.

ThetakedownUK
13th June 2011, 14:32
I agree, hope he takes out Vetel every race... :-)

Wonder what Christian Horner will call him if he wins a race? I mean he calls Sebastian "Seb". Maybe he will call him "Hammy"...lol

Few more links for Greig to get his disbelieving eyes into.. :-D
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92327
http://www.formula1onlive.com/2011/06/hamilton-in-new-red-bull-link-for-2013.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-2003011/Lewis-Hamilton-holds-private-talks-Red-Bull-chief-Christian-Horner.html
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/motorsport/3634335/Lewis-Hamilton-in-new-Red-Bull-link.html

EL NANO
14th June 2011, 07:39
Lewis will not leave Mclaren why would he when he is the golden child there? Why would he go to a team were he would b number 2? One thing is clear RB is putting everything into VET and the bubble is bound to burst evEntually...

Lithium
14th June 2011, 08:55
Great - if Hamilton goes to Red Bull he can take Vettel out of the championship every race :lol

I don't know why but I can't see it happening, Red Bull seem quite happy with their lot at present.
This. Some would say Webbo is a perfect No. 2 at the moment. Not good enough to challenge Vettel, but still there or thereabouts to take points off the competitors. I just don't see why would they ever want to bring in a driver capable of challenging Vettel, this wouldn't make sense. I say they'll stay with Webbo or maybe bring in one of the RBR junior drivers (most likely Ricciardo in this case).

Lithium
14th June 2011, 09:09
Lewis will not leave Mclaren why would he when he is the golden child there? Why would he go to a team were he would b number 2? One thing is clear RB is putting everything into VET and the bubble is bound to burst evEntually...
I'm not really sure if that's still the case. Button seems to have really clicked with McL. Uncle Ron is gone. And even if Button is usually somewhat slower, the team likes him a lot, including Whitmarsh... McL are probably getting a bit tired of Lewis' antics and him blaming everyone but himself. I don't even remember how many times Lewis expressed his displeasure with team strategies live over the radio (including last year, saying things like 'terrible decision', etc.). And while Button isn't always happy, he's a good PR man aka 'cool guy' and that's what the team likes. He's also capable of being very fast and winning. Thus I wouldn't be too surprised if Lewis wants to jump the ship, especially if there's a chance to be in a faster car designed by Adrian Newey.

REDARMYSOJA
14th June 2011, 15:06
I'm not really sure if that's still the case. Button seems to have really clicked with McL. Uncle Ron is gone. And even if Button is usually somewhat slower, the team likes him a lot, including Whitmarsh... McL are probably getting a bit tired of Lewis' antics and him blaming everyone but himself. I don't even remember how many times Lewis expressed his displeasure with team strategies live over the radio (including last year, saying things like 'terrible decision', etc.). And while Button isn't always happy, he's a good PR man aka 'cool guy' and that's what the team likes. He's also capable of being very fast and winning. Thus I wouldn't be too surprised if Lewis wants to jump the ship, especially if there's a chance to be in a faster car designed by Adrian Newey.

Agree 100%. We might be seeing Button taking the team from Hamilton. There must be people inside McLaren that feel the same way about Lewis as others outside, especially with his propensity to throw the team under the bus.

sv_godspeed
14th June 2011, 15:13
(vagabond comment ALERT!) - Hammy to Bulls, Kimi to Macca?

Rob
14th June 2011, 19:18
As good as it sounds, Ramilton Vetts team mate, crashing him out every race :lol I can not see Vettel letting RBR take on Lewis. Vettel is the Golden child there. Wouldnt work, Webber is their number 2 and he does good job for them (i.e doesnt really challenge Vetts)

Suzie
14th June 2011, 19:20

Agreed. Whitmarsh seems to favour Button in the same way Uncle Ron favoured Lewis (to my eyes anyway)... and I think Whitmarsh was the person who brought Button into the team?

scuderiafan
14th June 2011, 19:22
i do see Button becoming more and more liked in McLaren. i think a lot of people were dissatisfied with his attitude in 07, and liegate (Pat Fry aswell), but they were kept honest by Ron. now he aint there, and i think that is coming out.

i remember one engineer saying that they were sad to see Alonso go, and that he was actually a bit more liked by mechanics and engineers.

all speculation of course, but Button may be getting the same feeling from the mechanics, and Lewis putting them down every race wont be helping relations., (apparently its okay now, as they are 'speaking their mind' :lol)

Rob
14th June 2011, 19:23
i think he did Suzie. And it does seem that way atmo. Button can call shots from the car in the race, instead of relying on the team to tell him when to pit etc. He has settled in there really well, alot better than alot of people, myself included had expected.

ThetakedownUK
14th June 2011, 19:57
Lets Hops we have a Ramilton / Vetel Repeat every race...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuFpD1VZixY

grinchy
14th June 2011, 21:05
(vagabond comment ALERT!) - Hammy to Bulls, Kimi to Macca?

I wondered how long it would be before kimi got a mention!

Mrs.Domenicali
14th June 2011, 21:10
Be afraid....as well as allegedly meeting with Christian Horner, the one man crash magnet was allegedly also spotted meeting with Stefano Domenicali (and probably countless other F1 team bosses) ;-) yet another person to cram into the ever dwindling space in Felipe Massa's car.