PDA

View Full Version : European GP: Free Practice Sessions Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Rishu
24th June 2011, 04:57
Ok guys, wait is over, lets see if Ferrari can get its first win of the Season. Lets have a good start to the weekend

Forza Ferrari...... :ferrarifl

eugene22n
24th June 2011, 08:02
looking forward to an end to all the cars farting. and hopefully a win!

fratelliferrari
24th June 2011, 08:03
Does anyone have an English livestream of Free Practices? Please a link! Desperate and i really want to see it!

Hermann
24th June 2011, 08:05
http://www.f1turkish.net/p/canl-f1-yayn.html

Kyss4k
24th June 2011, 08:06
Does anyone have an English livestream of Free Practices? Please a link! Desperate and i really want to see it!

Yes, English stream would be great. :thumb

EDIT: oh thanks Hermann!

Forzi
24th June 2011, 08:07
BBC Stream: http://zonein.tv/474365

exeau
24th June 2011, 08:07
http://liveleaks.co.cc/livestream

NanoTheQuickest
24th June 2011, 08:08
I like the new rule, they now have to keep the quali engine mapping for the race, lets see if the RB can go get the pole?

exeau
24th June 2011, 08:11
it shouldn't change much of the performance for RB.. they are saying its the DRS that gives them better performance in quali

eugene22n
24th June 2011, 08:12
RB have always sounded most aggressive on the overrun.

eugene22n
24th June 2011, 08:21
"The 150° Italia is basically the same as in Montreal: no updates for this race. We are evaluating again an updated rear suspension" - Ferrari

Looks like they weren't kidding about the big package being for Silverstone. Nothing here ...

eugene22n
24th June 2011, 08:23
it shouldn't change much of the performance for RB.. they are saying its the DRS that gives them better performance in quali

we'll see at this race.

NanoTheQuickest
24th June 2011, 08:30
If it does not affect them more than the others I will be seriously surprised! Bring on quali...

eugene22n
24th June 2011, 08:32
the FIA banned this because they said the solutions were getting too aggressive particularly in Q. Just based on sound we know that we are not the ones that are most aggressive. No doubt this was targeted at RB so we should reap the benefit. The only question is how much.

SanderV
24th June 2011, 08:33
Morning all.

Looks like high temperatures, so hopfully no tyre heating problems for Ferrari. I think they also said that they had solved the problems with the hard tyres. If I'm correct this weekend the prime is the medium tyre. We'll see. Also curious about the engine mapping changes.

eugene22n
24th June 2011, 08:34
finally we are back out. might be testing that new rear suspension again.

eugene22n
24th June 2011, 08:38
no overrun is audible for us. still audible on the RB and MCL. Sounded a lot less than normal on the MCL but sounded the same on RB.

Rishu
24th June 2011, 08:39
Expect cars to be around 1.39s by the end of the 1st session

NanoTheQuickest
24th June 2011, 08:40
The boys are on it.. ya

SanderV
24th June 2011, 08:42
Can someone explain to me how one team's DRS can be better than other's?

eugene22n
24th June 2011, 08:44
1:37.587 was the poll last year.

eugene22n
24th June 2011, 08:46

basically the designs aren't all the same and some do a better job at stalling a larger region of air. I expect there is some variation with the speed of the systems as well.

bbc was saying something about Merc using the endplates to engage it now as oppossed to centrally.

NanoTheQuickest
24th June 2011, 08:46
I got the feeling that vettel ain't gonna show his index finger this weekend after quali!!!!

Hornet
24th June 2011, 08:47
Thats a whole lot of love for Lewis on BBC commentary, lol

NanoTheQuickest
24th June 2011, 08:48
Thats a whole lot of love for Lewis on BBC commentary, lol

he is the best blablabla:lol

johncnet
24th June 2011, 08:49
Alonso P1, it a good sign

NanoTheQuickest
24th June 2011, 08:50
It would be so nice if we became the team to beat for the rest of the season, wouldn't it?

johncnet
24th June 2011, 08:51
webber split alonso and massa

johncnet
24th June 2011, 08:52
damn webber take the P1

SanderV
24th June 2011, 08:54
basically the designs aren't all the same and some do a better job at stalling a larger region of air. I expect there is some variation with the speed of the systems as well.

bbc was saying something about Merc using the endplates to engage it now as oppossed to centrally.Thanks!

medeni73
24th June 2011, 08:58
at the moment we are the best of the rest, RB plays in another league again, Maccas are not showing their full potential yet (DRS off cos of aero-testing of new parts), Mercs struggle again it seems...but lets just wait and see what happens next... :)

Rishu
24th June 2011, 09:04

When the rear flap is closed, it should give plenty of drag, so it benefits when inclination of it is vertical, but when flap is open, maximum air should pass through it, so it should not be too much "vertical". Best rear wing is the one which can optimize this inclination best suited to the car dynamics

Sempre_Ferrari
24th June 2011, 09:04
at the moment we are the best of the rest, RB plays in another league again, Maccas are not showing their full potential yet (DRS off cos of aero-testing of new parts), Mercs struggle again it seems...but lets just wait and see what happens next... :)

ermmm...all this deduced just from watching 1 hour of FP1...I want that crystal ball of yours :-)

eugene22n
24th June 2011, 09:05
ah i was mistaken ... overrun is banned (limited to 10%?) starting with Silverstone not here ... bummer.

Here they just first enforcing the engine map freeze from Q to R.

medeni73
24th June 2011, 09:06
lol well its FP1 thread so I comment on this :) I cant wait for 3 FPs in order to comment on performance :)

I hope also that Vettel has been testing their new off-throttle mapping and ECU software settings for Silverstone, that would be good for us cos he's just plain bad! :)

Sempre_Ferrari
24th June 2011, 09:06
Glock still holds the race lap record around this venue with his best of 1m38.683s in the Toyota back in 2009.

Rishu
24th June 2011, 09:07
InsideFerrari

Second run for Felipe has just begun, same set of tyres for the Brazilian driver.

EDIT: Same goes for Fernando as well

Greig
24th June 2011, 09:12
Nice camera on Massa's car :-)

eugene22n
24th June 2011, 09:19
odd to see vettel so far from webber in practice. I hope thats the diff between their Q and R engine maps! lol

Greig
24th June 2011, 09:21
Massa trying new front brakes, wing and tweaked exhaust

luicchi
24th June 2011, 09:21
odd to see vettel so far from webber in practice. I hope thats the diff between their Q and R engine maps! lol

that would be funny....but i think he is in full tank fuel.

eugene22n
24th June 2011, 09:23
that would be funny....but i think he is in full tank fuel.

perhaps. i'm just too used to always seeing them at the top in fp or at least near it. do you recall a gap like this between them in any of the previous fp?

Hornet
24th June 2011, 09:25
Another link for anyone who lose feed on the first link at Pg.1
http://www.vipbox.tv/watch/26909/1/european-grand-prix---practice-1.html

burak karakutuk
24th June 2011, 09:26
there is only one way to be better is : you have to create more downfore than others so it helps you to use drs system well.look at rb car,they run the drs most of corners.some speculation to limit drs zone in qualy like race.it will reduce the gap in qualy exactly

zeus2
24th June 2011, 09:27
Apparently Vettel is running the silverstone spec exhaust and engine mapping according to BBC.

Rishu
24th June 2011, 09:28
Apparently Vettel is running the silverstoe spec exhaust and engine mapping according to BBC.

So, some glimmer of hope ?? :-D

Rishu
24th June 2011, 09:31
Damn Timo, last runs compromised.........

Kyss4k
24th June 2011, 09:31
Apparently Vettel is running the silverstone spec exhaust and engine mapping according to BBC.

So he lost about 3 seconds per lap if that's true. Wow.

ruud king
24th June 2011, 09:32
Petrov second, but it's only Friday.....let's see what tommorow brings

luicchi
24th June 2011, 09:32
so what is the big difference between valencia rules and silverstone???i didnīt understand yet.

Ferrarichamp
24th June 2011, 09:34
vettel sandbagging :lou

Hornet
24th June 2011, 09:34
Nah... according to Red Bull, they can react to it, it won't effect them, (anything else I missed)... blasphemy:-G

NanoTheQuickest
24th June 2011, 09:35
It would be so enjoyable to see RB go down :twisted

Glimpse of worry from the faces at RB I saw!!!

Rishu
24th June 2011, 09:35
Nah... according to Red Bull, they can react to it, it won't effect them, (anything else I missed)... blasphemy:-G

May be Marko should jump into the cockpit to prove it......

zeus2
24th June 2011, 09:43
so what is the big difference between valencia rules and silverstone???i didnīt understand yet.

In Valencia only engine mapping is restricted, they can still use off throttle blown exhaust (albiet not as aggressively) whereas in Siverstone they will not be allowed to use off throtle exhaust at all.

Greig
24th June 2011, 09:48
Personally I think their whole car aero is designed around the EBD, and without it they might well suck, but we shall see, the high rake they run is also said to be down to the EBD. Certainly in-car shots today showed a car a whole lot more of a handful than we have seen previously, with that said they will probably take pole and win the race :-D

sv_godspeed
24th June 2011, 10:02
he's not getting anywhere close to that, especially going sideways! :lol

NJB13
24th June 2011, 10:21

The only change here is theteams cannot change engine mapping in parc ferme (after q).

From Silverstone engine overrun while off throttle is limited to +10%.

Also, there seems to be some misunderstanding on EBDs, there is no change this year for EBDs, they can and will function as they have all year so far. EBDs dont breach any 2011 rules so they will stay until next year when the rules can be added to and changed.

Kingdom Hearts
24th June 2011, 10:37
A good start, but we shouldn't be fooled by the RB, even with the regulation changes.

NanoTheQuickest
24th June 2011, 10:42
Cant wait for tomorrow, we will finally see some proper driver to driver battle to take the pole and not some clever system ruling over the galaxy. From what we saw they are the only one who seemed worried about the rule change by running different mapping specs during P1. Mcs and us don't seem too concerned so far, lets wait and see.????

[If they do run it at 100 % during Q3, they will have to be on fuel saving mode the all race If they want to finish (especially in Valencia)]

Greig
24th June 2011, 10:47
Cant wait for tomorrow, we will finally see some proper driver to driver battle to take the pole and not some clever system ruling over the galaxy.

What like Nando using his mass damper in 2005/6?

Greig
24th June 2011, 10:49
The only change here is theteams cannot change engine mapping in parc ferme (after q).

From Silverstone engine overrun while off throttle is limited to +10%.

Also, there seems to be some misunderstanding on EBDs, there is no change this year for EBDs, they can and will function as they have all year so far. EBDs dont breach any 2011 rules so they will stay until next year when the rules can be added to and changed.

:rotflhow can they function when the new rule says 10% they will not function the same at all.

dr.k
24th June 2011, 11:05
:rotflhow can they function when the new rule says 10% they will not function the same at all.

There will definitely be performance loss especially in slower corners where they are not running on full-throttle. But he is right that EBD stays the same and also some teams runs EBD without off throttle blowing.

NJB13
24th June 2011, 11:06

I was simply pointing out that EBD's are not subject to any ban or action because they do not breach any regulation. EBDs will stay in place after Silverstone. That's actually a fact. It's also fact that the FiA will change the rules for next year to ban EBD's - perhaps the FiA have got it completely wrong and just haven't realized that EBD's won't work without a lot of engine overrun :-)

EBDs were around before the overrun was added, so yes they work. Extreme overrun isn't used during a race. Firstly, they use way too much fuel and secondly they stress the engine. Overrun is a non-issue in a race. The effect of overrun is clearly seen in how the RB7 is up to a second faster in Q but nowhere near that during the race.

Greig
24th June 2011, 11:08
EBDs were around before the overrun was added, so yes they work. Extreme overrun isn't used during a race. Firstly, they use way too much fuel and secondly they stress the engine. Overrun is a non-issue in a race. The effect of overrun is clearly seen in how the RB7 is up to a second faster in Q but nowhere near that during the race.

So you have not noticed the RB pull a gap at the start or after the SC? yes they use them in the race as well as qual, so if they are not an issue in the race then why the change for Silverstone? if they are only used in qual then the new rule for Valencia negates any need to change the rules further for Silverstone. They all have over run in the race just probably not as extreme as in qualifying.

NanoTheQuickest
24th June 2011, 11:12
What like Nando using his mass damper in 2005/6?

ya hum,whatever Greig, my point is it is getting boring to see "A" car taking the pole and note its driver.

NJB13
24th June 2011, 11:15
So you have not noticed the RB pull a gap at the start or after the SC? yes they use them in the race as well as qual, so if they are not an issue in the race then why the change for Silverstone? if they are only used in qual then the new rule for Valencia negates any need to change the rules further for Silverstone. They all have over run in the race just probably not as extreme as in qualifying.

As I said, extreme overrun is only used in Q. A minimal overrun is used during the race, how much more than 10% I don't think anyone knows, but nothing like is used in Q. And as you have said, what is used in the race is small and only for possibly a few laps. Therefore, a complete non-issue as an in-race effect.

NJB13
24th June 2011, 11:21

A few laps and and nothing extreme - as I said, a complete non-issue.

zeus2
24th June 2011, 11:22
What I don't get about the Valencia rule change is, Don't all cars have the ability to change engine mappings on the fly? So whats to stop Red bull from running the extreme mapping in quali and then switch over to normal race maps on the first lap (Which I think they were pretty much doing already) :-??.

Rob
24th June 2011, 11:24
its not EBDs that they are banning if you like. Its the hot and cold blowing engine maps. Whiich use more fuel and are helping the aero. RBR actually run cold blowing maps. They have alot more traction than any other teams that run these. So they are going to be hit hard.

Greig
24th June 2011, 11:25
A few laps and and nothing extreme - as I said, a complete non-issue.

So why have they changed the rules for Silverstone? when the new rules for Valencia will cover it? So you are happy the EBD does not break the regulation you ritually cite as long as it is not too extreme? Weird

Does not add up......let's say Red Bull run 100% mapping in Q3 and in the race 50%, how is restricting them to 10% a non issue?

NJB13
24th June 2011, 11:31
What I don't get about the Valencia rule change is, Don't all cars have the ability to change engine mappings on the fly? So whats to stop Red bull from running the extreme mapping in quali and then switch over to normal race maps on the first lap (Which I think they were pretty much doing already) :-??.

No, the changes that are done during the race are generally air/fuel mix changes. The overrun is a very sophisticated system that changes valve/firing positions on various pots and when fuel is pushed through. The overrun can effect all or some pots and can even be induced on specific banks. The purpose is to get the moving engine to produce an aero effect which is specifically banned/prohibited by Article 3.15. As I mentioned previously these overruns consume a lot of fuel and stress the engine so, it can only be used very sparingly. RB clearly use it in Q3 for one run and, the first 2 laps of a race to escape the DRS. I doubt they use it any other time because they would have to be carrying a lot of extra fuel in the hope that you might get to use it again.

NJB13
24th June 2011, 11:35
So why have they changed the rules for Silverstone? when the new rules for Valencia will cover it? So you are happy the EBD does not break the regulation you ritually cite as long as it is not too extreme? Weird

Does not add up......let's say Red Bull run 100% mapping in Q3 and in the race 50%, how is restricting them to 10% a non issue?

First of all any guess as to how much RB use in the race is just that a guess. What we do know is they can still use 10% and they only use it for a few laps. A non issue.

Why change to rule for Silverstone, because I believe the rules should be enforced. I don't think overrun is clever, I think it breaches Article 3.15, and the FiA has finally after dragging their heels for half a season, agreed with that view. I believe they should have bannedd it before the Australian GP for the same reason - it is a clear breach of Article 3.15. Nor do I don't think breaking rules is clever. :-)

Greig
24th June 2011, 11:37
First of all any guess as to how much RB use in the race is just that a guess. What we do know is they can still use 10% and they only use it for a few laps. A non issue.

Why change to rule for Silverstone, because I believe the rules should be enforced. I don't think overrun is clever, I think it breaches Article 3.15, and the FiA has finally after dragging their heels for half a season, agreed with that view. I believe they should have bannedd it before the Australian GP for the same reason - it is a clear breach of Article 3.15. Nor do I don't think breaking rules is clever. :-)

How do you know how long and what they can use it at? pure guess as well, so how can you say it's a non issue?

If they do not use it more than 10% in the race then the Silverstone new rule is pointless, so clearly they must use it more than that.

Over run was used last season, why did you not complain about it then?

Mrs.Domenicali
24th June 2011, 11:37
Going by the number of articles from senior management at Red Bull in recent weeks Newey, Horner and Marko it clearly is a big issue to them, otherwise why have they been moaning so much about mid season rule changes? if its a complete non issue to them they would have no reason to moan how the mid season rule changes are being brought in to help Ferrari ;-)

zeus2
24th June 2011, 11:42
No, the changes that are done during the race are generally air/fuel mix changes. The overrun is a very sophisticated system that changes valve/firing positions on various pots and when fuel is pushed through. The overrun can effect all or some pots and can even be induced on specific banks. The purpose is to get the moving engine to produce an aero effect which is specifically banned/prohibited by Article 3.15. As I mentioned previously these overruns consume a lot of fuel and stress the engine so, it can only be used very sparingly. RB clearly use it in Q3 for one run and, the first 2 laps of a race to escape the DRS. I doubt they use it any other time because they would have to be carrying a lot of extra fuel in the hope that you might get to use it again.

Stumbled upon scarbs article on it :-). Thanks for the explanation though. Going by that article Ferrari is supposed to be the least developed in Q-maps among the top three, which would also mean we will be the least effected by the new rules. Heres the link if anyone is interested in knowing more
http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/06/24/valencia-ban-on-engine-map-changes/

FerrariF60
24th June 2011, 11:55
hello everyone

does anybody have any links to FP2?

thanks.

NJB13
24th June 2011, 11:56
How do you know how long and what they can use it at? pure guess as well, so how can you say it's a non issue?

If they do not use it more than 10% in the race then the Silverstone new rule is pointless, so clearly they must use it more than that.

Over run was used last season, why did you not complain about it then?

Over run has been around for a long time, but in a small way and for a reliability purpose. This year it has been taken way beyond that, even you must be able to hear the difference.

At the end of last year, the FiA changed rules to stop the use of exhaust gases as an aero aid.

What Red Bull are doing is a clear beach of the specific rules as well as going against the spirit of the rules.

I will be pleased when Article 3.15 is finally enforced at Silverstone

Greig
24th June 2011, 11:58
Over run has been around for a long time, but in a small way and for a reliability purpose. This year it has been taken way beyond that, even you must be able to hear the difference.

At the end of last year, the FiA changed rules to stop the use of exhaust gases as an aero aid.

What Red Bull are doing is a clear beach of the specific rules as well as going against the spirit of the rules.

I will be pleased when Article 3.15 is finally enforced at Silverstone

So rule breaking was ok with you until it got too extreme? What rule changes did the FIA make regarding exhaust gases?

Red Bull are not the sole team doing it, and again why have the FIA changed the rules for this race and the next if it's a non-issue?

SanderV
24th June 2011, 12:01
http://www.f1turkish.net/p/canl-f1-yayn.html - thanks to Hermann

zeus2
24th June 2011, 12:02
hello everyone

does anybody have any links to FP2?

thanks.

Give this a shot
http://www.vipbox.tv/watch/26910/1/european-grand-prix---practice-2.html

FerrariF60
24th June 2011, 12:09
Give this a shot
http://www.vipbox.tv/watch/26910/1/european-grand-prix---practice-2.html

it doesn't work, says server not found :-s

Kyss4k
24th June 2011, 12:11
it doesn't work, says server not found :-s

http://www.smotrisport.com/v-2/8/182/v-298229.html

Working fine :thumb

FerrariF60
24th June 2011, 12:15
http://www.smotrisport.com/v-2/8/182/v-298229.html

Working fine :thumb

maybe cause i'm at work it doesn't WORK...but i used to be able to see free practices at work in the past...like 2 races ago

racingbradley
24th June 2011, 12:15
Going by the number of articles from senior management at Red Bull in recent weeks Newey, Horner and Marko it clearly is a big issue to them, otherwise why have they been moaning so much about mid season rule changes? if its a complete non issue to them they would have no reason to moan how the mid season rule changes are being brought in to help Ferrari ;-)
Maybe they have it sussed and are keeping "modest" pretending it's a big issue when all the time they are laughing in the garage. ;-) :-??

Hornet
24th June 2011, 12:18
Another link from vipbox, this is stream 5

http://www.vipbox.tv/watch/26910/5/european-grand-prix---practice-2.html

zeus2
24th June 2011, 12:20
maybe cause i'm at work it doesn't WORK...but i used to be able to see free practices at work in the past...like 2 races ago

There are other links on the top of the video in the link I posted. Try some of those, one of them should work..

NJB13
24th June 2011, 12:20
So rule breaking was ok with you until it got too extreme?
No. as I explained, over run used for the purpose of reliability of the engine is acceptable. Over run to create aero is what is against the rules.

What rule changes did the FIA make regarding exhaust gases?
They closed the front of the diffuser, where the exhaust was blown in last year.

Red Bull are not the sole team doing it, and again why have the FIA changed the rules for this race and the next if it's a non-issue?
When a team breaks the rules it should be stopped immediately irrespective of how effective the beach is. Did the FiA wait to see how effective out gurney flap was before deciding to ban it?

Greig
24th June 2011, 12:23
No. as I explained, over run used for the purpose of reliability of the engine is acceptable. Over run to create aero is what is against the rules.

They closed the front of the diffuser, where the exhaust was blown in last year.

When a team breaks the rules it should be stopped immediately perspective of how effective the beach is. Did the FiA wait to see how effective out gurney flap was before deciding to ban it?

But it was not against the rules, until the FIA changed the rules, but here we go again, let's not pollute another thread because of your stubbornness :-)

I have yet to see any article or team member not say this as a rule change, but really you believe nothing has changed and no rulings have changed, the rest of the paddock do. We have a ruling change for this race, and another more stricter new ruling for Silverstone, how anyone can deny that is beyond me :-)

FIA have known how effective it was since last season when RB used the same in Q3, they are changing their ruling now to interfere with the titles, nothing more nothing less. If the title was close then the FIA would not be interested in changing their ruling on this matter this year.

medeni73
24th June 2011, 12:25
It seems we have closed the gap on hard tires indeed, Alonso just 0.170 off from RBs... not a bad sign...

Rishu
24th June 2011, 12:27
Looking at Maldonado's time, Pole should be in late 36's

FerrariF60
24th June 2011, 12:27
There are other links on the top of the video in the link I posted. Try some of those, one of them should work..

thx, i tried some other ones and it works

burak karakutuk
24th June 2011, 12:28
Well we are best in first sector,so close in sector 2 but must improve last sector.Looking good so far

medeni73
24th June 2011, 12:29
And it seems that Massa having more problems again with hard tires...

medeni73
24th June 2011, 12:38
In first two sectors we have them...but damn 3rd one is a nut for both our drivers...

FerrariF60
24th June 2011, 12:41
the heck was button doing?? sleeping; getting in Alonso's way
or should i say, NOT gettting outta the way

Hornet
24th June 2011, 12:43
I thought I saw a HRT blocking Alonso's way at the final turn

medeni73
It was HRT...

zeus2
the heck was button doing?? sleeping; getting in Alonso's way
or should i say, NOT gettting outta the way

So I assume you found a link that's working ;-).

FerrariF60
24th June 2011, 12:47
So I assume you found a link that's working ;-).

yes it's working very good...

thanks again.

Forza Ferrari for a 1-2 this weekend

SanderV
Alonso's car is looking pretty stable. Last sector still a bit difficult. Don't know about Massa yet.

puto.havana
Ok so Alonso only 2 tenths off the pace atm. Not too shabby. Car looked a little twitchy in the last sector though.

burak karakutuk
24th June 2011, 12:48
yes karthikeyan was on alonso's way.waht a stupid mistake he did crawling ahead of alonso.then turns to pit.some kind of unnecessary guy

FerrariF60
holly Quick NICK
where did he pull that off of???

brava
What's up with Heidfeld?

SanderV
24th June 2011, 12:49
Big lockup again from Alonso

SanderV
What's up with Heidfeld?

Softs.

luicchi
What's up with Heidfeld?

in soft tyres....there is no miracles...lol

burak karakutuk
Today Alonso and Massa both stable,but Alonso has some brake issues some blokaj

FerrariF60
Softs.

ah....didn't notice that

puto.havana
24th June 2011, 12:50
What's up with Heidfeld?

I dunno, first man on the softs maybe?

Forzi
24th June 2011, 12:51
I'm itching to see us on the softs :-)

Kyss4k
24th June 2011, 12:52
I just noticed that these times was set on medium tyres. That is good to know that we are competitive on that quite hard compound.

puto.havana
24th June 2011, 12:53
Well I thought the problem had been fixed with new suspension.

puto.havana
24th June 2011, 12:55
So are we gonna go out and set a soft laptime?

FerrariF60
24th June 2011, 12:56
So are we gonna go out and set a soft laptime?

yes, what's the hold up??? i wanna know how quick we are on the SOFTS

FerrariF60
24th June 2011, 12:59
it seems we're losing quite a bit in S3
at least looking on massa's time

Hornet
24th June 2011, 12:59
Wonder whats that about in Torro Rosso garage with the Ferrari guy in there talking to them

Forzi
24th June 2011, 13:00
Considering Felipe went a lil wide twice on the lap, we're more or less in the same level as RedBull. I hope McLaren will stay down for the rest of teh weekend.

puto.havana
Why is one of our guys being held hostage in the Torro Rosso Garage?!?!

(Only joking I know he is the engine tech assigned to Torro)

FerrariF60
now McCheats look pretty quick...what the!!!!

puto.havana
Pah, bloody Hamilscum.

medeni73
WOW Maccas out of nowhere !!!

SanderV
24th June 2011, 13:01
it seems we're losing quite a bit in S3
at least looking on massa's time

Red Bull very strong in S3. Losing some 3 tenths to them.

FerrariF60
yeah baby...ALONSO P1

puto.havana
Lovely 1:38.1

medeni73
WOW WOW !!! ALONSO !!!

puto.havana
24th June 2011, 13:02
Go Massa go!!!!

puto.havana
24th June 2011, 13:02
Unlucky Massa

FerrariF60
24th June 2011, 13:05
ALONSO'S ON FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!

puto.havana
ALONSO'S ON FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep he is!! Go Fred go!!

luicchi
i predict that this engine map changing is gonna make things better to us....lol ...alonso making miracles...oh dear that tyres

Hornet
Alonso beat his own time despite locking up
Look good for us this weekend

Sempre_Ferrari
24th June 2011, 13:06
65 min: Despite a major lock-up into the final corner, Alonso improves the benchmark to a 1m37.968s.

puto.havana
24th June 2011, 13:06
Alonso beat his own time despite locking up
Look good for us this weekend

Well lets see how it goes - things can still come a cropper.

luicchi
24th June 2011, 13:07
ok....this is gonna be funny...

VETTEL is 0,297 of the pace....lolololol

burak karakutuk
24th June 2011, 13:09
So much blokaj and it is becoming dangerous but Fernando overcomes well

zeus2
24th June 2011, 13:11
Whats up with all the locking up though, pushing too hard or brake problems?

FerrariF60
24th June 2011, 13:12
ok....this is gonna be funny...

VETTEL is 0,297 of the pace....lolololol

That is FUNNY...hope this will become a trend

burak karakutuk
24th June 2011, 13:13
Whats up with all the locking up though, pushing too hard or brake problems?

pushing too hard i think

luicchi
24th June 2011, 13:14
That is FUNNY...hope this will become a trend

me too...i think we all do....:-D:ferrarifl

ferrari4life
24th June 2011, 13:15
I would be happy just to see Webber beat Vettel then we can stop with all the Vettel is the best thing since slice bread talk.

FerrariF60
24th June 2011, 13:16
I would be happy just to see Webber beat Vettel then we can stop with all the Vettel is the best thing since slice bread talk.

+10000000000000

well said mate

Rishu
24th June 2011, 13:20
Relax guys, lets wait for tomorrow..... that will give us true picture

FerrariF60
24th June 2011, 13:21
are we doing any long runs??
if so how are our times in comparison with others?

burak karakutuk
24th June 2011, 13:23
are we doing any long runs??
if so how are our times in comparison with others?

yes all of grid is trying long runs now.it is a classic in last 15 minutes of session

SanderV
24th June 2011, 13:31
It should be pretty close beteen RB, McL and Ferrari. We'll see tomorrow.

Kingdom Hearts
24th June 2011, 13:36
We look good but I'm gonna wait till tomorrow to get my hopes high, anyway, very good job today.

stefa
24th June 2011, 13:36
It is always good to finish practice session on first place. Even this is just Friday, I am happy for the team and drivers. We looked good today!

Stormsearcher
24th June 2011, 13:37
Looking good so far. We expected to be in the top 5 in anycase. This is pleasant.
But our race pace is not looking great is it?

F1NAC
24th June 2011, 13:47
What about our long stint's ?? times ?

Ferrari_Fanatic
Looking good so far. We expected to be in the top 5 in anycase. This is pleasant.

depends on how much fuel was in Alonso predicted a good race, Fingers crossed :pray

zike
????????????????????
How did you come to that conclusion

Alessandra
24th June 2011, 13:56
Now that we're all confident that we have a Ferrari front row lock-out tomorrow ;-)I thought I'd pass on this little snippet from James Allen

"Fangio still holds the record for the highest winning percentage in Formula One winning 46.15% of the races he started, compared to Schumacher’s 33.09%."

That sounds like a really worthwhile statistic to me rather than basing the "greatest driver ever'" contest on purely the number of races won. I suppose someone has worked out the stats. re. highest points scored by a driver in a season taking into account the change in number of GPs and and change in race position points?

theforce
24th June 2011, 14:01
Either way, its good to see a Ferrari leading the timesheets.

Jose Lorca
24th June 2011, 14:17
I think Red Bull are still the fastest, but we are still looking quite strong -- as close as 2 tenths to RB imo. Mclaren arent too far back either but I think we are ahead of them, slightly.

Hopefully we can beat Vettel but they look better in sector 3, which I guess was to be expected. Where is the Monaco-spec engine cover? I know its not as effective here as it would be at Monaco or Silverstone, but it should still give us an advantage here.

Kyss4k
24th June 2011, 14:55
You can't even try to guess who is fastest with race fuel load because almost every lap of every driver was spoiled by traffic. We will have to wait to race and we will see. But I am confident about our quali pace. Now, when Bulls don't have that ace in sleeve (I guess this mega Q3 laps by Bulls was due to that extreme quali engine maps) there is quite a good chance for pole.

i'am back
24th June 2011, 14:59
pole is crucial here like monaco!!!!

zeus2
24th June 2011, 15:19
sarahholtf1 on twitter
Fernando Alonso reckons he'll need a miracle to stop Red Bull taking yet another pole position. And that's from Friday's fastest man

Huh! whats that about? :-??

Hermann
24th June 2011, 15:23
sarahholtf1 on twitter
Fernando Alonso reckons he'll need a miracle to stop Red Bull taking yet another pole position. And that's from Friday's fastest man

then lets hope for a miracle :pray

FerrariF60
24th June 2011, 15:24
sarahholtf1 on twitter

well if the MAN himself (Alonso) thinks that, then we could be in real trouble.
maybe it's just talk to make red fools feel better; i'm :pray that it isn't the case and that we'll take pole on saturday

NJB13
24th June 2011, 15:28
But it was not against the rules, until the FIA changed the rules, but here we go again, let's not pollute another thread because of your stubbornness :-)
Maybe "15 all" on the stubbornness front :-)

I have yet to see any article or team member not say this as a rule change, but really you believe nothing has changed and no rulings have changed, the rest of the paddock do. We have a ruling change for this race, and another more stricter new ruling for Silverstone, how anyone can deny that is beyond me :-)
They are finally implementing article 3.15 - unchanged since the start of the year. How anyone can't see that is beyond me :-)

FIA have known how effective it was since last season when RB used the same in Q3, they are changing their ruling now to interfere with the titles, nothing more nothing less. If the title was close then the FIA would not be interested in changing their ruling on this matter this year.
I agree the FiA is not honest in how and when they implement and follow rules - I'm on the record many times stating that. But the real injustice of their motives is that they knew about this at the start of the year and could have acted then - but they didn't - and I believe their motives for not acting then were just as manipulative as they are for the timing of their acting now.

In the end, I'm sure the FiA's explanation of the ban will be that the overrun breaches article 3.15 - and we both know that has not changed since the start of the year.

I'm equally confident that the overrun really is a breach of 3.15, so I'm sure no team will appeal their ruling and, if they did, they would loose. :-)

burak karakutuk
24th June 2011, 15:48
Alonso has a confidence that we can run tyres well,he is also saying track is very suit for us.New suspension is working right?:-)

Bonjers
24th June 2011, 15:59
Fernando is just being sensible, he says the same whenever we're looking good in practice. You can't really disagree with him either with RB's quali pace so far this season.

sv_godspeed
24th June 2011, 16:01
You can't even try to guess who is fastest with race fuel load because almost every lap of every driver was spoiled by traffic. We will have to wait to race and we will see. But I am confident about our quali pace. Now, when Bulls don't have that ace in sleeve (I guess this mega Q3 laps by Bulls was due to that extreme quali engine maps) there is quite a good chance for pole.

seems ominous for the race itself - how many times will we have to lap the HRTs and Virgins?

Homan13PSU
24th June 2011, 16:01
sarahholtf1 on twitter

Well, let's just look at Canada. 'Nando was the fastest through FP2 and 3 and who ended up taking pole?

Stormsearcher
24th June 2011, 16:02
????????????????????
How did you come to that conclusion

heard the commentator say we were doing 1. 44 something on the long runs while button n lewis were doing 1.43 something and vetterl was in the 1.42s.
Hope i heard it wrong, or we were trying much higher fuel loads to test those stupid pirellis.

Greig
24th June 2011, 16:02
Maybe "15 all" on the stubbornness front :-)

They are finally implementing article 3.15 - unchanged since the start of the year. How anyone can't see that is beyond me :-)

I agree the FiA is not honest in how and when they implement and follow rules - I'm on the record many times stating that. But the real injustice of their motives is that they knew about this at the start of the year and could have acted then - but they didn't - and I believe their motives for not acting then were just as manipulative as they are for the timing of their acting now.

In the end, I'm sure the FiA's explanation of the ban will be that the overrun breaches article 3.15 - and we both know that has not changed since the start of the year.

I'm equally confident that the overrun really is a breach of 3.15, so I'm sure no team will appeal their ruling and, if they did, they would loose. :-)

Seriously I have never once said they have changed a regulation they have changed their ruling of that regulation, if you can't accept that then sorry to say your just being stupid for the sake of it. You are simply incapable of seeing that for some bizarre reason, but in all honesty the whole subject bores me as does your constant ignorance to what the FIA has done.

Lithium
24th June 2011, 16:17
sarahholtf1 on twitter

It could mean that RBR are still faster (which wouldn't be much of a surprise), but it also could be that Nando wants to put more pressure on RBR and and not play up our own expectations too high. Let's face it, it would be stupid to say 'we will challenge for pole', especially when RBR have had pole position monopoly this season (so far). Anyways, it will all clear up tomorrow.

scuderiafan
24th June 2011, 16:24
nice, but i have a feeling that noone has shown their true pace yet.

Ferrari look very good though, and nice to see.

Tifoso
24th June 2011, 16:26

Ferrari look very good though, and nice to see.

Thanks mate :-)

REDARMYSOJA
24th June 2011, 16:29

I agree. Therefore I am curbing my enthusiasm until after the race.

Kyss4k
24th June 2011, 16:56
seems ominous for the race itself - how many times will we have to lap the HRTs and Virgins?

Yes, but you can't say... oh I don't have enough power to explain it today... :lou

scuderiafan
24th June 2011, 17:12
It seems the McLarens are now struggling with the tyres.

here is Ferraris take.

A reasonable start to the Valencia weekend, which kicks off a very busy cycle of four races in five weeks. Allowing for all the usual unknown factors on a Friday –different work schedules and fuel loads – the two Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro drivers displayed a good level of competitiveness in both sessions. Fernando Alonso was quickest in FP2, having been third in FP1, while Felipe Massa was sixth in the morning and fifth in the afternoon.

Fernando Alonso: “Overall, a positive start to this Valencia weekend, my second home race. We got through all our planned programme, working mainly on tyres, where the chief element at this Grand Prix is the first appearance of the Medium. It was important that we were able to do so many laps, because on a circuit like this one, getting a lot of kilometres under your belt helps you gain confidence in the car, looking for the limits and thereby improving performance. The track characteristics are well suited to our car, but it is too early to say where we are compared to the others. Already, in the past, we have gone well on the first day only to see ourselves losing out by a second in qualifying, therefore I don’t even want to consider today’s time sheet. In FP1 and FP2 you try so many things and the track changes very quickly – even more so on a street circuit like this one – so it is really impossible to make predictions. The car seems to handle well, therefore we can tackle qualifying with confidence, aware that we are up against very strong rivals: it’s not by chance that Red Bull have always taken pole in the first seven races of the year and clearly they are still the favourites. Overtaking here will be easier than in Monaco, but grid position will nevertheless be important.”

Felipe Massa: “I’d say it was a good day, better than many other Fridays this season. From what we could understand after three hours of free practice, the car is pretty competitive and I don’t expect the situation to be that different to the one we saw two weeks ago in Canada. It’s true it is only Friday, but at least it’s a positive start! The tyres worked well: both the Prime and the Option delivered more grip than we had been expecting going into the weekend. Sure, there’s a big difference between the two compounds, but the Medium, with higher temperatures than we saw in Canada, did not do badly. Now we must make the right decision regarding set-up on the car for the next two days. The car balance is not yet perfect – for example we are still locking the fronts too often under braking – but we are working in the right direction. Let’s hope we can put up a fight in qualifying, just as we did in Canada.”

Pat Fry: “Another busy day’s work, divided up as usual into working on development of new solutions and preparing for the race weekend. The track was not as dirty as expected, which allowed us to gather a lot of interesting data to evaluate over the next few hours in order to define our technical choices for the next two days. We still have to fine tune the car, so it is still a bit early to say if we will be as competitive as we were over the past two races. In particular, we must try and improve our performance in the third and final sector of the track. The Medium compound tyre makes its debut here: from what we could see, it offers less grip than the Soft, which is the other tyre for this Grand Prix, but we have not yet found out how it lasts over a long run as we worked mainly with the Option, as did so many other teams.”

Alonsomaniac
24th June 2011, 17:36
Vettel starting to sound like Hamilton?? : "Worried about this afternoon? Noooh, I wasn't concentrating on speed, just trying some new parts."

luicchi
25th June 2011, 08:56
good morning, people! ok letīs how its gonna be today...:ferrarifl

Katu
25th June 2011, 08:57
weather looks stunning in Valencia

Hornet
25th June 2011, 08:59
If anyone needs this
http://www.vipbox.tv/watch/26911/5/european-grand-prix---practice-3.html

Katu
25th June 2011, 09:00
hamilton's overalls look again hideous

Rishu
25th June 2011, 09:01
If anyone needs this

Thanks mate

burak karakutuk
25th June 2011, 09:01
good mornig it is good:-):pass:ferrarifl

zeus2
25th June 2011, 09:03
Track temp 35° and rising, good for us.

Katu
25th June 2011, 09:08
InsideFerrari Scuderia Ferrari
At the moment the two cars have different front wings: triplane for Fernando, biplane for Felipe.

vcs316
25th June 2011, 09:08
If anyone needs this

Thank you!

m schumy
25th June 2011, 09:16
InsideFerrari

It is time for the first run, on Prime tyres

Rishu
25th June 2011, 09:19
Out come the Ferraris

Rishu
25th June 2011, 09:23
Alonso is looking in sublime touch :-)

luicchi
25th June 2011, 09:25
now in a front wing camera i could see our wing flexing a bit...iīm sure

Rishu
25th June 2011, 09:28
Ok, time to see Vettel........

luicchi
25th June 2011, 09:30
looking very good in the hard tyres our car...:-D

Kyss4k
25th June 2011, 09:33
For one moment I thought we are much quicker than the others... :roll

luicchi
25th June 2011, 09:38
Rb itīs going to play in the limits of itīs engine today and tomorrow...letīs see if the engine does not break....:pray to break...lolol

Rishu
25th June 2011, 09:39
Some set up change on Fernando's car while Felipe is leaving it as it is for the run on Option tyres

luicchi
25th June 2011, 09:41
Today and tomorrow i believe that we are gonna be very strong.

m schumy
25th June 2011, 09:47
Fernando P1

Rishu
25th June 2011, 09:48
Alonso 9 tenths up on Rosberg, 6 tenths on Felipe

tifosi_kaka
25th June 2011, 09:48
Actually it's a bit of a stupid question, but due to my deficiencies in English I never understand why Prime is the harder compound (e.g. Medium in Valencia) and Option is the softer ones? Would appreciate if anybody can explain it. Thanks!

Did Vettel set the 38.6 on primes? That's scary!

Rishu
25th June 2011, 09:49
I think RB is still half a second faster than us

scuderiafan
25th June 2011, 09:49
3rd sector Felipe fastest.

luicchi
25th June 2011, 09:51
I think RB is still half a second faster than us

i dont think that much...maybe 0.2 or 0.3 and still we gonna to improve...we will see...in qualy

Rishu
25th June 2011, 09:51
Actually it's a bit of a stupid question, but due to my deficiencies in English I never understand why Prime is the harder compound (e.g. Medium in Valencia) and Option is the softer ones? Would appreciate if anybody can explain it. Thanks!

Did Vettel set the 38.6 on primes? That's scary!

Its not a stupid question, harder tyre is always "Prime", softer of the two is "Option". And yes Vettel did that on Primes

Kyss4k
25th June 2011, 09:52
i dont think that much...maybe 0.2 or 0.3...we will see...in qualy

I think that they are much stronger here than the were in Canada. :-( I guess it is 0.5 at least... hope I am wrong.

burak karakutuk
25th June 2011, 09:53
Ferrari seems to very intense and convinced to me.Alonso drives like warrior but i think Redbull is still 0.1-0.2s faster.We need to push hard in sector 3 because there is the only place that they take advantage

scuderiafan
what about mcLaren?

Rishu
i dont think that much...maybe 0.2 or 0.3 and still we gonna to improve...we will see...in qualy

Vettel 1 sec down on Alonso & Option is about 1.7s quicker than Primes

zeus2
25th June 2011, 09:54
Red Bull do look to be about 4-5 tenths faster than us. Maybe they're risking it a bit with the engine mapping.

burak karakutuk
25th June 2011, 09:56
what about mcLaren?

Mclaren looks like they are not so happy with new middle compound

scuderiafan
25th June 2011, 09:58
Mclaren looks like they are not so happy with new middle compound
Seb now on options. lets see how much faster they really are.

EDIT: ah, getting held up, and still 0.4s up. :Hmm

Bonjers
25th June 2011, 09:59
Vettel held up a bit but still comfortably fastest.

burak karakutuk
Seb now on options. lets see how much faster they really are.

EDIT: ah, getting held up, and still 0.4s up. :Hmm

yes certainly they are faster than us and always improving time sheets easily:-s

Ferrarichamp
Vettel should easily get pole.

burak karakutuk
25th June 2011, 10:01
I guess today we will capture the second position with Fernando.What say you guys?

scuderiafan
25th June 2011, 10:02
Vettel even faster. wth!

FIA with egg on face?

but isnt s3 the downforce dependant sector? McLaren are awful through there, and losing a lot of time there.

Rishu
25th June 2011, 10:03
McLaren are awful through there, and losing a lot of time there.

They'll be on pace come Quali,they always do

luicchi
in qualy our focus is Vettel...we can be faster than him...iīm sure....i think that webber is in silverstone configuration map... and vettel in the limit map...iīm gonna laugh when the renault engine break.

Greig
Vettel even faster. wth!

FIA with egg on face?

but isnt s3 the downforce dependant sector? McLaren are awful through there, and losing a lot of time there.

Depends on fuel loads, and they can still run their mapping in practice

zeus2
I think Fernando can go a bit faster but pole is outta reach, unless Seb makes a mess of it.

Rishu
25th June 2011, 10:04
Depends on fuel loads, and they can still run their mapping in practice

Fair, but why would they do so? Scare others?

Greig
25th June 2011, 10:05
Fair, but why would they do so? Scare others?

Yep to make out they ain't lost anything

burak karakutuk
Here is a good cnahce again come on Ferrari do it this time please:-)

scuderiafan
They'll be on pace come Quali,they always do

probably. they are struggling on the mediums,

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92573

good to know that it wasnr just glory runs yesterday, and we are genuinly fast. hope Vettel was maybe running the maps, as that is astonishing speed if without them

Rishu
25th June 2011, 10:07
Yep to make out they ain't lost anything

if thats the case, then looking at Webber's time, it should be tight

Tech_Skill
25th June 2011, 10:07
Vettel even faster. wth!

FIA with egg on face?

Well, Lets see what happens in Quali as the mapping red bull pick for there they have to use for the race. Also, their whole car is designed around the EBD no? I dont think its a matter of simply forcing red bull into a less aggresssive engine mapping and then assuming that is going to hurt them as much as people suspect because its the entire package of car that has been designed around channeling air to the diffuser (the smaller kers unit or the fact that their kers in a different part of the car so as not to mess with the aero flow to the rear????)

Silverstone is where they may feel real pain perhaps.

scuderiafan
25th June 2011, 10:09
Well, Lets see what happens in Quali as the mapping red bull pick for there they have to use for the race. Also, their whole car is designed around the EBD no? I dont think its a matter of simply forcing red bull into a less aggresssive engine mapping is going to hurt them as much as people suspect because its the entire package of car that has been designed around channeling air to the diffuser (the smaller kers unit or the fact that their kers in a different part of the car so as not to mess with the aero flow to the rear????)

Silverstone is where they may feel real pain perhaps.

Horner said something along the lines of the Merc teams getting hit with the 'hot-blowing ban' in Silverstone.

might be winding Mac up, but apparently they do some sort of trick with the exhausts, and can keep it going through the whole race.

NJB13
25th June 2011, 10:12
I guess today we will capture the second position with Fernando.What say you guys?

I'm going for an all red front row from Q today :-)

Rishu
25th June 2011, 10:13
I'm going for an all red front row from Q today :-)

RED fools?? :-D

zeus2
25th June 2011, 10:14
I doubt RB'll run a different mapping in quali than the one they ran in FP3, doesn't make sense to try something you don't intend to use. They've probably decided to take a more aggressive aproach on Vettel's car regarding mappings (aleast thats what I think).

scuderiafan
25th June 2011, 10:15
European GP - Music on track

http://cdn.ferrari.com/Site_Collection_Image_260x200/110624_guetta_110046eur_260x200.jpg

Valencia, 24 June – Valencia sees another F1 Rocks event linking up with F1, as it has done since 2009 and one of the top DJs at the event was Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro special guest, David Guetta who was here with the team for this first day of practice for the European Grand Prix. Before his performance tonight at the Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciensas, the popular French DJ and music producer came to see the team in action from the pits. Guetta is a big racing and sports car fan and he was enthralled as engineers explainied what was going on prior to him meeting the Scuderia drivers, Felipe Massa and Fernando Alonso.

Kingdom Hearts
25th June 2011, 10:15
Webber couldn't do his lap properly, P3 for any of the Ferrari drivers will be fantastic, secretly hoping for something special from Alonso.

Tech_Skill
25th June 2011, 10:16
I doubt RB'll run a different mapping in quali than the one they ran in FP3, doesn't make sense to try something you don't intend to use. They've probably decided to take a more aggressive aproach on Vettel's car regarding mappings (aleast thats what I think).

Red bulls engine failures from last season, where they in any related to their agressive engine map?

Greig
25th June 2011, 10:18
BBC said they have been practicing changing the steering wheel in pitstops, maybe that is how they will get around running the full map till the first stop, if true shows how much they need it.

NanoTheQuickest
25th June 2011, 10:19
They are going to do their best trying to win the last race of the season which they can actually win without struggling, then they'll have poo poo down their pants!!!

Go Ferrari Go

NJB13
25th June 2011, 10:20
RED fools?? :-D

Hey! :-)

I know that you know there's only one red for me ... Wooo Hooooooo Forza Ferrari

NanoTheQuickest
25th June 2011, 10:22
BBC said they have been practicing changing the steering wheel in pitstops, maybe that is how they will get around running the full map till the first stop, if true shows how much they need it.

Basically one with the magic button and the other without!?

Rishu
Hey! :-)

I know that you know there's only one red for me ... Wooo Hooooooo Forza Ferrari

Sure. All the best for Quali :thumb

scuderiafan

really?

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx?ref=IE8Activity&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.trf1.net%2Fformula1_haberler%2F 21199-newey-fia-nin-kural-degisikligine-tepkili.html

Google translate :roll

but apparently, Newey had an off the record conversation with a Brazilian reporter, and there were many words, that he couldnt say, and that arent appropriate for the forum either :lol

he is not happy, i guess.

zeus2
25th June 2011, 10:23
Red bulls engine failures from last season, where they in any related to their agressive engine map?

Probably not. But I won't mind being wrong :-).

Thats pretty clever, if they can manage it.

Rishu
25th June 2011, 10:23

It makes mockery of FiA if its true

Greig
25th June 2011, 10:24

Not really, the FIA said you can change the map at the first stop, but at Silverstone it won't matter as the real rule change comes in.

zeus2
25th June 2011, 10:27

More like the FIA making a mockery of themselves. They didn't mention anything about changing mappings during a pitstop, just assumed no one would do it cause it would take too long.

Rishu
25th June 2011, 10:30
More like the FIA making a mockery of themselves. They didn't mention anything about changing mappings during a pitstop, just assumed no one would do it cause it would take too long.

Any clarity on what FiA said? because according to Greig, they allowed to change it during pit stop

NanoTheQuickest
25th June 2011, 10:31
I'm glad this is coming to an end, because RB's trickery to win races are starting to wind me up!!!!

NJB13
25th June 2011, 10:35
Any clarity on what FiA said? because according to Greig, they allowed to change it during pit stop

The only change for this race is that the Parc Ferme has a strict implementation. NOthing is supposed to be changed on the cars once they are in Parc Ferme. Until now, teams would change the software for the engine management while the cars were in PF. Now they can't do that. Team might try and get around that in Valencia by changing steering wheels - the new/changed one will have the new software already loaded - or they might simply plug a laptop in and try and download the new software at their first pitstop. Be great if RB tried that and a) cooked their donk running the overrun for too many laps and b) they had lots of problems changing the software and spent an eternity in the pits.

Tech_Skill
25th June 2011, 10:35
Thats pretty clever, if they can manage it.

You have to admire red bull sometimes, in regards to innovation and thinking on their feet

scuderiafan
25th June 2011, 10:36
i cant see RedBull changing wheels during pitstops. would take far too long, and i think could be a little like the pitstops at LeMans.

zeus2

from scarbs
Renault also were able to confirm “Some parameters are adjustable from the steering wheel, but not all. In Valencia, you can officially change your exhaust setting during the first pitstop, but you would need to plug a computer to the car, so it would take ages”.

So I assume it is permitted. They're just assuming its not practical. I doubt changing of steering wheel will have any effect on engine mapping, probably just doing routine pitstop practices for such scenarios.

Greig
The only change for this race is that the Parc Ferme has a strict implementation. NOthing is supposed to be changed on the cars once they are in Parc Ferme. Until now, teams would change the software for the engine management while the cars were in PF. Now they can't do that. Team might try and get around that in Valencia by changing steering wheels - the new/changed one will have the new software already loaded - or they might simply plug a laptop in and try and download the new software at their first pitstop. Be great if RB tried that and a) cooked their donk running the overrun for too many laps and b) they had lots of problems changing the software and spent an eternity in the pits.

They could probably plug the laptop in and still be quicker than our stops :-)

Greig
25th June 2011, 10:37
i cant see RedBull changing wheels during pitstops. would take far too long, and i think could be a little like the pitstops at LeMans.

They changed Webber's in Canada?, driver can take it off very quickly

Rishu
25th June 2011, 10:38

Well, I would very interested to see their pit stops, great, if they can manage in 4 secs

scuderiafan
25th June 2011, 10:39
They changed Webber's in Canada?, driver can take it off very quickly

didn't see that. did they lose any time?