PDA

View Full Version : Alonso adamant Ferrari will catch its rivals eventually this year

Mrs.Domenicali
25th June 2011, 16:24
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92641

Alonso adamant Ferrari will catch its rivals eventually this year

By Pablo Elizalde Saturday, June 25th 2011, 15:25 GMT

Fernando Alonso is convinced his Ferrari team will catch the leading teams this year after another solid performance in qualifying for the European Grand Prix.

The Spanish driver, who was fighting for victory in the previous two races in Monaco and Canada, will start tomorrow's race from fourth place.

Alonso said he was not disappointed with the result, as he is aware of the strength of Red Bull and McLaren.

And the Ferrari driver is encouraged by the progress made by his team, which he believes will be able to get closer to its rivals soon.

"I don't think this was a disappointing qualifying, because even if there were those outside the team who built up expectations, within it, we were well aware of the situation," said Alonso.

"The aim was to fight with the McLarens and we did just that. Maybe we had hoped to be ahead of both, but instead we find ourselves splitting the two drivers.

"I reckon that tomorrow we could see different strategies in terms of pitstops. Our aim is to finish on the podium and we are in with a chance.

"The development work on the car is progressing well, but we are a long way behind in terms of aerodynamics, which to put a time value on it means two or three months. It will not be easy to catch up but we will do all we can to succeed."

Alonso also claimed it was no surprise to see Sebastian Vettel on pole again despite the rule changes introduced this weekend.

"I did not expect that the very slight change introduced to the rules would change the order of things and that was the case: Red Bull was and still is the favourite.

"We will see if at Silverstone, where there are more significant changes coming, something will happen, but we need to keep in mind that everyone or almost everyone will suffer a drop in performance."

Team-mate Felipe Massa qualified in fifth position after a tough qualifying, but the Brazilian was also pleased with the development rate of his team.

"It wasn't an easy qualifying, even if fourth and fifth places is definitely not a bad result," he said. "Maybe the others, especially McLaren, managed to find a little something extra between practice and qualifying, while Red Bull continues to be very strong, as was predictable.

"We have become more competitive over the past three races and our aim is to keep going down this path. We must push on the development of the car, especially as next year's regulations will be more or less the same, therefore any work we do now could be helpful in the long term too."

FerrariF60
25th June 2011, 16:30
we may see a win or two from Ferrari this year, but NOTHING too drastic like winning the WDC....no freaking way
next year, may be a different ball game....that is if we for ONCE decide to go AGGRESSIVE in our design

Ferrarichamp
25th June 2011, 16:35
question is, where will we win? now that monaco and canada are behind us. I'm hoping for a miracle in Monza.

FerrariF60
25th June 2011, 16:37
question is, where will we win? now that monaco and canada are behind us. I'm hoping for a miracle in Monza.

realistically, Monza is our only chance this year...knowing that we have a good top speed, and it is a SPEED circuit...unless the McCheats are gonna rain on our parade AGAIN

NJB13
25th June 2011, 16:46
Come on lads, chins up, we can do better than that. What I've decided to do is simply enjoy each race for what it is and, lets see after a few more races how the landscape looks. No matter what, we can always enjoy a win no matter where or when it is.

Forza Ferrari!!!!!
:-D

NJB13
25th June 2011, 16:47
Come on lads, chins up, we can do better than that. What I've decided to do is simply enjoy each race for what it is and, lets see after a few more races how the landscape looks. No matter what, we can always enjoy a win no matter where or when it is.

Forza Ferrari!!!!!
:-D

Ferrarichamp
25th June 2011, 16:58
btw, what do Alonso and Adam Ant have to do with each other? :Cube

SilverSpeed
25th June 2011, 19:41
Ah well maybe by Singapore our car is better and we can go for that one again where brakes and stable power out of corners is important.

FerrariF60
25th June 2011, 19:50
Ah well maybe by Singapore our car is better and we can go for that one again where brakes and stable power out of corners is important.

brakes and stable power coming outta corners are very important here too mate, and we ain't got here either....car looks too nervous and unstable under braking; from the onboard footage of alonso he was playing with the brake balance lever all the time throughout the lap....no wonder he couldn't put a half decent lap together
i guess P4 is all we could have done today....i was hoping we could have beat McScum's Lewser to P3

hopefully Alonso will have another rocket launch start tomorrow and scoots up to P2 by first corner....

Brakefade
25th June 2011, 20:44
I think Ferrari should put a team together to simply look for loopholes in the rule book, as exploiting loop holes seems to be RB game.

bkircher
26th June 2011, 01:38
"Eventually," perfect word. Best chances to win this year, singapore, monza, and spa.

Stormsearcher
26th June 2011, 05:21
This Silverstone upgrade must be one big mother of an upgrade. Alonso, and earlier fry.. talk about it like its going to completely transform the car. :-)
I really hope it lives up to the expectations we as fans, and the team and drivers are putting on it. :pray

Stormsearcher
26th June 2011, 05:22
I think Ferrari should put a team together to simply look for loopholes in the rule book, as exploiting loop holes seems to be RB game.
lol.. great idea. :thumb
basically putting together another redbull team. :-P

Stormsearcher
26th June 2011, 05:24
hopefully Alonso will have another rocket launch start tomorrow and scoots up to P2 by first corner....

Na. We want a start like barcelona... straight to P1. And let lewser take out the bulls and hopefully his team mate too. His skill is getting better each race.

Stormsearcher
26th June 2011, 05:25
realistically, Monza is our only chance this year...knowing that we have a good top speed, and it is a SPEED circuit...unless the McCheats are gonna rain on our parade AGAIN

McCheats are just as fast as we are in a straight line.. if not faster. Having said that, i dont think its going to be barren. I am willing to bet we will win atleast 2 races this year. :-D

Corey
26th June 2011, 05:33
I'd love a perfect start from the Ferraris, and I think Alonso is capable of doing it. The only fear is a repeat of what happened in Barcelona after the pitstops.

Stormsearcher
26th June 2011, 05:34
I'd love a perfect start from the Ferraris, and I think Alonso is capable of doing it. The only fear is a repeat of what happened in Barcelona after the pitstops.

unlikely. The mediums arent as rubbish as the hards. Think if we get ahead, with some clever pitstop timing/strategy we can stay ahead.

Aussie
26th June 2011, 21:41
Vette has about 100 points over Alonso. Unless vettel has about 6 dnf he has got this in the bag :(

Rookie
27th June 2011, 02:48
The Key word is: "Eventually..." I'm really baffled how did redbull manage to become a mid pack team to a very dominant title contender in the span of 3 years(Yes, its 3 years couting from 07-09 were they started having a very aero efficient car; albeit Newey joined in 06 but had full design control in 07.) Is it all really credited to his genius? Or are we having to go back to the time of F1 that its the car designers who make the most difference rather than driver skill?