View Full Version : Silverstone weather

Sianellen
4th July 2011, 15:08
http://live.autosport.com/commentary.php/id/369

I was just looking at this and early signs suggest it may rain. I was just wondering given how we don't really like the hard tyre, would it be better for Ferrari if it was a wet race? We seemed to do alright on the wet tyres in Canada. I just wondered other peoples views on this. :-)

scuderiafan
4th July 2011, 15:11
:Hmm

i know this seems bad, but i hope for Vettel to have problems. i like him as a driver, but the WDC is getting dulled, and a win at Silverstone, for him would be game over imo.

REDARMYSOJA
4th July 2011, 15:14
I think there is always a chance of rain at Silverstone.

M.K
4th July 2011, 15:19
In my opinion I don't think it would give us advantage, Vettel basically walked away after safety car in Canada as far I remember. McLarens was bloody fast in rain, without mistakes they both made it could easily be 1-2 for them. But who knows, maybe new ban rule would change positions and RBR will suffer from it, but it's hard to believe that.

sv_godspeed
4th July 2011, 15:19
i always like races where it rains - more interesting to watch (i almost fell asleep during the last race in Valencia)...but we dont seem to be great in changing conditions especially with the strategy calls in the pits...

Greig
4th July 2011, 15:31
No rain please :-D

schumi1
4th July 2011, 15:36
lets hope it rains

Grillo
4th July 2011, 16:11
I don't want rain on Q3 just to see how every car stands after the off-throttle EBD ban.

It would be nice some rain during the race though. :pray

Suzie
4th July 2011, 16:22
Who cares whether the rain affects Ferrari? What about ME?!!!!!

Katu
4th July 2011, 16:33
Who cares whether the rain affects Ferrari? What about ME?!!!!!

you'll surevive, you're not made from sugar, right? how much harm a little rain can do to you anyway?

Suzie
4th July 2011, 16:39
you'll surevive, you're not made from sugar, right? how much harm a little rain can do to you anyway?

The rain is no friend to naturally curly hair.

Katu
4th July 2011, 16:42

oh tell me about it, it's my enemy too

Ree
4th July 2011, 16:52

I know exactly what you mean.... except for the Spanish GP it's rained at every one that I've been too. I've invested in a coat with a hood so I can hide the hair when it starts to frizz :-)

scuderiafan
4th July 2011, 17:13

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/object3/69/96/n83009721162_474.jpg

A solution - the Hairmet! :-D

F1NAC
4th July 2011, 17:15
no rainnnnnnnnnn :-(

Julie B
4th July 2011, 17:22
Got my wellies so I'm OK :-D

Greig
4th July 2011, 17:38
bloody women and their hair!!!!

Suzie
4th July 2011, 17:42
IT IS IMPORTANT.

Rob
4th July 2011, 17:58
bloody women and their hair!!!!

:roll :lol

Tifosi
4th July 2011, 18:02
On the plus side (the only plus side) i would get to wear my Ferrari rainproof jacket that was infinitely appealing in the shop but is very rarely appropriate unless you are in an ambient temperature of 22 degrees with light to moderate precipitation - so largely pointless owning if you live in the uk.

Jose Lorca
4th July 2011, 21:45
Red Bull will still be fastest in Silverstone. The only way to completely neutralize Vettel this season is to ban EBD's - and that's not going to happen this year. For that reason, I'd like to see rain in qualifying, preferably enough to make the track damp with driver's on slicks - Alonso thrives in those conditions. As for the race, I'm hoping that remains dry.

bladeswing
5th July 2011, 01:13
Red Bull will still be fastest in Silverstone. The only way to completely neutralize Vettel this season is to ban EBD's - and that's not going to happen this year. For that reason, I'd like to see rain in qualifying, preferably enough to make the track damp with driver's on slicks - Alonso thrives in those conditions. As for the race, I'm hoping that remains dry.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92236

Off-throttle diffuser ban plans still on

By Jonathan Noble Saturday, June 11th 2011, 21:20 GMT

The FIA has told teams that it is not going to waver from its decision to ban off-throttle use of blown diffusers this year, with it set on outlawing the systems from next month's British Grand Prix.AUTOSPORT understands that the FIA wrote to F1 teams on Saturday morning in Montreal informing them that it was committed to not allowing them to continue off-throttle use of blown diffusers.

The FIA originally intended to ban the systems from the Spanish Grand Prix, but that decision was delayed after the governing body was made aware of 'unintended consequences' of such a move.

However, ahead of a meeting of the F1 think tank Technical Working Group in London on Thursday, the FIA says that it is set on its course of action.

As well as outlining its decision to make off-throttle blown diffusers illegal from the British Grand Prix, it suggests a change to the technical regulations for 2012 that will outlaw teams from using blown diffusers at all.

There's a ban effective from Silverstone on the use of EBD's, although the exhausts are still blowing gases through the diffuser, but minimal when off throttle. this is mainly due to the layout of the exhausts. maybe that will be big enough to slow RBR / Vettel down as their cars design is built around this / aerodynamics? From 2012 the exhaust layouts will be different to rid of EBD's completely.

Ferrari Man
5th July 2011, 15:46
Well i surely don't want rain this weekend at all. Look back to canada and in the wet conditions Vettel was pulling miles away from Alonso who was under pressure from Massa. Rain is a gamble unless you're a certain Micheal Schumacher from his first career...

racingbradley
5th July 2011, 16:06
Forget the hair. ;-);-)
In rain and with hard tyres wouldn't we struggle to get heat into them????? We have enough problems without a wet Silverstone. :roll

Greig
5th July 2011, 16:06
We won't need them if it rain's :-)

We should have solved the tyre issue by now I hope :-)

racingbradley
5th July 2011, 16:22
We won't need them if it rain's :-)
We should have solved the tyre issue by now I hope :-)

Of couse silly me!!!!!! :roll
Hopefully we have solved the problem with the hard tyres though as it could be dull and miserable if not raining----english weather.:-)

REDARMYSOJA
5th July 2011, 17:31
Maybe if we had rain tires made from women's hair. :Hmm

Greig
5th July 2011, 17:51
:rotfl

sagi58
5th July 2011, 18:12
Maybe if we had rain tires made from women's hair. :Hmm What would you call them?
1) Lovely locks;
2) Curly cues;
3) Spring rolls; or,
4) Dastardly divas?

:angel

REDARMYSOJA
5th July 2011, 19:06
Come to think of it, it wouldn't work because they wouldn't want to get wet. :doh

sagi58
5th July 2011, 19:10
No problem!! They can use the hot air from the diffuser to dry it all "nice nice"!!;-)

Katu
5th July 2011, 19:36
Maybe if we had rain tires made from women's hair. :Hmm

you would need asian woman's hair then, i've heard they have the best;-)

siberianlady
5th July 2011, 20:34
Well if we have to suffer downpours, storms, gales and being struck by lightning in Spa then am sure you folks can survive a bit of rain in Silverstone!

Suzie
5th July 2011, 20:37
I've never been as soaked at Spa as I have been at Silverstone in the past... or Monza for that matter!

siberianlady
5th July 2011, 20:42
I've never been as soaked at Spa as I have been at Silverstone in the past... or Monza for that matter!

suzie- you should have been with us last year.......it rained non stop Weds night through to Monday......and one of our guys did actually get struck by lightning as he was trying to charge his mobile phone on his motorbike......the thing exploded in his hand but thank goodness he was OK. And campsite blew away in the storm completely after the race........not to mention the mud! Have also heardf about similar in Monza so hope silverstone is not that bad for you this weekend........a few drops of rain is fine but time to dry out and get warm is also necessary........hope you have a great time!

Suzie
5th July 2011, 20:49
Thanks :) I was lucky last time I was at Spa in 2009 - it was sunny all weekend.

siberianlady
5th July 2011, 20:54
Thanks :) I was lucky last time I was at Spa in 2009 - it was sunny all weekend.

Agree-2009 was brilliant....we had Rosberg all day doing film stunts on our campsite....was good fun! Been every year since 2005..........can't wait for this year!

Alessandra
5th July 2011, 21:29
A thread after my own heart!

I have no problem with curly hair, in fact at my age I'm just happy to have any hair at all. But it does need drying with hot air.
It's difficult finding a free power point for your common hairdryer on a a camp site unless you go to the ladies' showers between 11.00 p.m. and 5 a.m.
I'm not happy wandering around in the dark - last year I got completely lost on my way back from the loos at 10.30 p.m. and was on the point of lying down in a ditch and crying until the sun came up the next morning when hoped I might be rescued.
Then I realised I was standing next to our caravan.

So, what I need is a small battery operated hair dryer. Do they exist? I don't think so. Perhaps Adrian Newey could be persuaded to turn his attention to this pressing matter. (You see how craftily I weave this drivel back to F1 - I'm sorry I'm just so excited!).

Otherwise, anyone seeing a small, not very young, fair-haired woman with soaking wet hair - that's me folks!!:-) I hope to say hello to at least one person from the Scuderia site:wave

siberianlady
5th July 2011, 21:45

I have no problem with curly hair, in fact at my age I'm just happy to have any hair at all. But it does need drying with hot air.
It's difficult finding a free power point for your common hairdryer on a a camp site unless you go to the ladies' showers between 11.00 p.m. and 5 a.m.
I'm not happy wandering around in the dark - last year I got completely lost on my way back from the loos at 10.30 p.m. and was on the point of lying down in a ditch and crying until the sun came up the next morning when hoped I might be rescued.
Then I realised I was standing next to our caravan.

So, what I need is a small battery operated hair dryer. Do they exist? I don't think so. Perhaps Adrian Newey could be persuaded to turn his attention to this pressing matter. (You see how craftily I weave this drivel back to F1 - I'm sorry I'm just so excited!).

Otherwise, anyone seeing a small, not very young, fair-haired woman with soaking wet hair - that's me folks!!:-) I hope to say hello to at least one person from the Scuderia site:wave

You come to Spa next time and we'll look after you! Have a super time and let's hope for a great show from our fave red team!

ferenc_k
5th July 2011, 21:59

Actually there is such a thing: so called Cordless Rechargeable Travel Hairdryer. Currently unavailable at Amazon, but there is a chance at eBay to find one.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003F82PMA/?tag=manycheapbiz-20

NJB13
6th July 2011, 01:38
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/spankyham/SilverWeather.jpg

Alessandra
6th July 2011, 06:23
Siberianlady: I'd love to come to Spa, it's top of my list - assuming I can afford it - next year. see you then.:-D

ferenc-k: Thank you very much. I'll get on to that straight away. Brilliant!:thumb

Tifosi
6th July 2011, 08:57
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/spankyham/SilverWeather.jpg

Your forecast is better than Greig's Spanky. I'll take yours ;-)

NJB13
6th July 2011, 09:08

What I find vaguely amusing about forecasts is that most of the time, all the science and experts collectively can't get close to an accurate/reliable forecast for tomorrow, yet, when it comes to global warming they want us to believe they can be accurate to a fraction of a degree some twenty years into the future :-)

racingbradley
6th July 2011, 09:31
Yeah I rather like it too. Hope it's spot on this weekend. :thumb

scuderiafan
6th July 2011, 10:09
What I find vaguely amusing about forecasts is that most of the time, all the science and experts collectively can't get close to an accurate/reliable forecast for tomorrow, yet, when it comes to global warming they want us to believe they can be accurate to a fraction of a degree some twenty years into the future :-)

:thumb. very good point.

sagi58
6th July 2011, 10:12
...all the science and experts collectively can't get close to an accurate/reliable forecast for tomorrow, yet, when it comes to global warming they want us to believe they can be accurate to a fraction of a degree some twenty years into the future :-) Maybe that's the difference between "expert and genius"??:lol

Tifosi
6th July 2011, 10:57

This is true. It's the same as how we are expected to believe governments and politicians even though we have evidence of all the lies they've given us in the past. People expect the weather forecast to be accurate right up until its proved wrong, even though its very often wrong.

I just chose the best one :-)

sv_godspeed
6th July 2011, 13:33
suzie- you should have been with us last year.......it rained non stop Weds night through to Monday......and one of our guys did actually get struck by lightning as he was trying to charge his mobile phone on his motorbike......the thing exploded in his hand but thank goodness he was OK. And campsite blew away in the storm completely after the race........not to mention the mud! Have also heardf about similar in Monza so hope silverstone is not that bad for you this weekend........a few drops of rain is fine but time to dry out and get warm is also necessary........hope you have a great time!

Spa 2010? i was there and 'twas an absolutely fascinating race except that Rammy won and Fernando took a walk through the Belgian countryside...and funny you talk about mud - there was plenty on my backside since we spent most of Sat/ Sun on the hill next to the Kemmel straight...

redsteph
6th July 2011, 20:14
I would like it to be sunny all weekend and then it can rain for the race.

yes I will be in a tent ;o)

siberianlady
6th July 2011, 20:40
Spa 2010? i was there and 'twas an absolutely fascinating race except that Rammy won and Fernando took a walk through the Belgian countryside...and funny you talk about mud - there was plenty on my backside since we spent most of Sat/ Sun on the hill next to the Kemmel straight...

We also watched from Kemmel so if you were covered in mud we know who you are! Gave up Gold to go back there in fact......hope to see a load of you folks there soon......we go every year!

siberianlady
6th July 2011, 20:42
Siberianlady: I'd love to come to Spa, it's top of my list - assuming I can afford it - next year. see you then.:-D

ferenc-k: Thank you very much. I'll get on to that straight away. Brilliant!:thumb

Alessandra- we'd love to see you there so save your pennies for next year....we'll be there as every year!

sagi58
7th July 2011, 00:58
D'ya think that maybe Vettel has the same problem:

http://cdn1.iofferphoto.com/img/item/188/749/334/horn-broken-watch-for-finger-bumper-sticker-ffc21.jpg

sv_godspeed
7th July 2011, 15:55
We also watched from Kemmel so if you were covered in mud we know who you are! Gave up Gold to go back there in fact......hope to see a load of you folks there soon......we go every year!

i can afford only 1 race a year, and this year its the Nurburgring...:-s

Corey
7th July 2011, 16:01
Even though wet races can be exciting, and as Massa states, our car is in general pretty good in wets. I'd still don't want what happened in the Canadian GP to repeat itself again, unless we are on pole and everything is going towards out direction. ;-)

RedRebel40
7th July 2011, 16:42
I was at the 2005 SPA GP, at night under my camping tent there was a river because of the heavy rainfall.

watto2
7th July 2011, 19:38
Silverstone has its own climatic arrangements with the "Man Upstairs". The best spectator option is Wellies, Waterproof trousers, Barbour Jacket, Umbrella and 4X4 (preferably a Land Rover) to ensure quick exit from the muddy car park before all the "Lewis Loonies " in their pap mobiles carve up the surface trying to imitate their hero. I aint got no hair so the rain won't bother me too much. A wet race would be a leveller as we saw in Canada, shame we have to rely on it to equalize the field though as I wouln't bet on the rule changes making the R.B. cars slower in the dry.

siberianlady
7th July 2011, 21:27
I was at the 2005 SPA GP, at night under my camping tent there was a river because of the heavy rainfall.

My first ever GP......so threw tent away and now hire a camper......except last year it leaked! There's no place like Spa! Lol