PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari not getting carried away with expectations after British Grand Prix win

scuderiafan
11th July 2011, 16:04
Ferrari says it will not get carried away with dreaming it is back in World Championship contention, despite Fernando Alonso's British Grand Prix victory.

The Spaniard delivered Ferrari's first win of 2011 in mixed conditions at Silverstone where, after capitalising on Red Bull's mistakes in the pits, he drove away at the head of the pack.

Yet although a raft of updates - including a new rear wing, diffuser and brake ducts - delivered a tangible step forward in pace, team principal Stefano Domenicali wants to wait a few more events to see if his team now has the genuine form to challenge Red Bull regularly for victory.

"It was an incredible performance," he said. "We were expecting an improvement for sure. But, it was so big to be honest, we need to be cautious, we need to understand the data, and we need to understand what the others are doing.

"We saw that the performance of our car during the weekend was always good in all conditions, wet, soft tyres, hard tyres, even on Saturday was not too bad, so I am pleased for that.

"But as always we need to bring along race-by-race the results, and we [will] try to understand because maybe it will be different for the next grand prix."

Domenicali wants the team to adopt Alonso's philosophy of concentrating one race at a time – and he thinks the outfit has also benefited from not getting distracted by the row over off-throttle blown diffusers.

"We don't have to be focused as a lot of people are doing on this saga of the hot and cold gases, I think all the people are fed up about this," he added.

"We need to look ahead and consider we had a good performance that I hope will be the basis for the next part of the season where we will try to be very strong and try to attack without looking at the classification, and maximise the points, to see where we are going to be in seven races."

Domenicali hopes that the team can bring further upgrades to its car for the German Grand Prix, at which a good performance would go some way to convincing the team that it can look forward to a strong second half to the campaign.

"For sure we will try to put some other updates on the car and then we will see what we have," he said. "That is our objective.

"Our aim is to win some other races and for sure that will be the approach with which we will arrive at the Nurburgring.

"Let's wait and judge after a couple of races, and then we will see if we confirm this kind of situation. Now we are focused on our job.

"But I am sure Red Bull and McLaren will push like hell to understand the performance. It is a never-ending story, and if they are going to be better at the Nurburgring we will see. For sure they will push like hell in order to make sure there are some more upgrades and be strong."

When asked how much he believed the victory at Silverstone was down to car updates, and how much to the blown diffuser regulation tweaks, Domenicali said: "I don't know.

"I think that anyone can say something different, because no one really knows what they are talking about. I hear in this period so many things from one second to three tenths [of a second]. It is like playing with dice. I don't know.

"I want my people to be focused on the development of the car and try to maximise the performance of the car. I said: 'don't follow the discussions, try to be focused on the job'."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93034

Tifoso
11th July 2011, 16:07
Alonso didn't get the memo :-D

Tuttosport: Alonso: "Ora vinciamole tutte"

"Now let's win them all (the remaining races)" :-D

scuderiafan
11th July 2011, 16:09

:lol :ferrarifl :ferrarifl

just like Suzuka 2000, after a long wait, the floodgates will open.

NJB13
11th July 2011, 17:06
:lol :ferrarifl :ferrarifl

just like Suzuka 2000, after a long wait, the floodgates will open.

Now that's a great thought... I feel like Homer being let loose in the Duff brewery

Ferrari Man
11th July 2011, 19:07
ye we may keep our feet on the ground and see what the next two races bring with the ban been reinstated. We turned the car's performance around in a massive step. I m just hoping it's not down to the rb's and macs been hurt by the ban and when the ban is lifted that we'l be back in third place pegging wise..

Alonsomaniac
11th July 2011, 20:13
Forget the championship , just go flatout for all the racewins we can get and we will still have a lot of happy weekends to come this season.:-D

Jose Lorca
11th July 2011, 21:27
Forget the championship , just go flatout for all the racewins we can get and we will still have a lot of happy weekends to come this season.:-D

I believe that Alonso should not have the Championship on his mind in the next couple of races, and instead he should just focus on doing his best at every race. What I will say is that Vettel could easily be suffer as a result of driver error, bad lack, mechanical failures/car problems and collisions with other drivers, etc. If that were to happen 2 or 3 times, the Championship is suddenly back in our hands.

Our car is a race winner and we have the best driver on the grid. For now let's keep pushing to make this car even faster (which will also help us in 2012) but let's not completely lose hope of winning the Championship until is mathematically impossible.

puto.havana
11th July 2011, 21:31
Wise words from Stefano. Lets wait and see what the next few races bring us. Hopefully we can still a few to Fed Bull and McFilth. Hopefully the seeds we have sown now we will be able to reap in 2012!!:-)

killer
12th July 2011, 01:44

You just KNOW this guy's getting invited to the company picnic, no?

http://pix.crash.net/motorsport/360/PAPHOTO4_349562.jpg

It will be a good day when we get our championships back.

Elvis
12th July 2011, 01:49
I believe that Alonso should not have the Championship on his mind in the next couple of races, and instead he should just focus on doing his best at every race. What I will say is that Vettel could easily be suffer as a result of driver error, bad lack, mechanical failures/car problems and collisions with other drivers, etc. If that were to happen 2 or 3 times, the Championship is suddenly back in our hands.

Our car is a race winner and we have the best driver on the grid. For now let's keep pushing to make this car even faster (which will also help us in 2012) but let's not completely lose hope of winning the Championship until is mathematically impossible.

For that to happen, I think Ferrari (especially Alonso) should out qualify him and hopefully other drivers, especially Webber and Hamilton, push him down in the midfield pack at turn 1.

da_one
12th July 2011, 02:28
EBD aside, I believe we will have more updates to come to be closer or equal RB's pace. Fernando does not need a faster car, he just needs a car that can challenge and his driving skills will do the rest!

I can see more wins in the coming races, and there is still an outside chance of winning the driver's championship (constructors' is a done deal I'm afraid). However, we need Felipe to step up and take points away from Vettel. Webber will play second fiddle for the rest of the season while both Maclaren drivers have been inconsistent, not to mention that RB at the hands of Vettel is clearly quicker than them anyways so we can't rely on them as well.

Whether we win the title or not, I am still proud of the team since they did not give up in spite of the inherent flaws of the car in the beginning of the season. Kudos to Fernando and Felipe as well for keeping their head down and remaining focused. It was so easy to blame the team for their lack of pace, instead they just did their job on track and supported the team all the way. :thumb

Here's hoping for a Ferrari fight back and a strong second half! Forza Ferrari! :clap

sagi58
12th July 2011, 02:29
Here's a good read:

(Reuters) - Ferrari's first win of the Formula One season owed something to luck, something to changes in the engine regulations and a lot to hard work and the sheer talent of Fernando Alonso (http://http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/07/11/uk-motor-racing-prix-idUKTRE7691EC20110711).

ajpat
12th July 2011, 02:35
Ferrari would not have signed the 'diffuser' agreement at the last moment if they know more than they are letting out. I feel they have cracked the RB winning "code" and feel pretty confident to win more races with or without the rules in place. You dont really expect a team like Ferrari to sit back after having smelt victory-THEY SMELL BLOOD.

zeus2
12th July 2011, 03:46
Here's a good read:

Thanks for that. btw I think your link has double https, you might want to fix that. :thumb
Also have a listen to the audio press conference of Domenicalli after the race in the audio gallery on ferrari.com, its particularly funny at around 7.15 in the timeline

sagi58
12th July 2011, 16:17
...btw I think your link has double https, you might want to fix that. :thumb...

Thanks!! At one point, while I "fixed" it, there was a triple set of https!! :ouch

Here it is... again...

(Reuters) (http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/07/11/uk-motor-racing-prix-idUKTRE7691EC20110711) - Ferrari's first win of the Formula One season owed something to luck, something to changes in the engine regulations and a lot to hard work and the sheer talent of Fernando Alonso (http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/07/11/uk-motor-racing-prix-idUKTRE7691EC20110711)