View Full Version : Montezemolo: Alonso & Massa in 2012

shostak
19th July 2011, 16:44
Montezemolo has confirmed both drivers today.

More info:
http://www.corriere.it/sport/11_luglio_19/montezemolo-alonso-massa-ferrari_8045473e-b211-11e0-962d-4929506ed0a9.shtml

My original source:

http://twitter.com/#!/joseluisf1

Mrs.Domenicali
19th July 2011, 17:56
Not really news considering LM said the same thing a few months back but anyhow......

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93185

Montezemolo insists Massa will stay on at Ferrari in 2012

By Michele Lostia and Pablo Elizalde Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 16:06 GMT

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo insists there are no doubts about Felipe Massa's presence at the Italian team next year.

Drivers such as Mark Webber have been linked to Ferrari's second seat as Massa continues to be overshadowed by team-mate Fernando Alonso.

The Brazilian has not won a race since the 2008 season and is yet to outqualify the Spaniard this year.

Despite speculation about Massa's future, di Montezemolo says there will be no changes to Ferrari's line-up next year.

"Massa and Alonso always bring something more," di Montezemolo was quoted as saying by Sky Italia.

"In the seventies, when I was a young sporting director, people would say that car and driver counted 50-50. Nowadays the car counts for more, but it's in that 30% that the driver can make a difference.

"Alonso is super, Massa is coming back: I think the drivers are not a problem. This is the time for gossip, but next year's drivers will remain Alonso and Massa."

He also backed Alonso's view that the team should not give up on the title despite the gap to the leaders, the Spaniard still 92 points behind Sebastian Vettel despite his win at Silverstone last week.

"[Alonso] is right to keep hoping [about the title], because hope dies last," di Montezemolo said. "We are all disappointed of not having been where we wanted to be at the start of the season, and this is why I'm pleased with the Silverstone victory, with a demonstration of superiority that gives us good hope.

"We'll count the points at the end. In the meantime we are working with next year in mind too."

He added: "The victory has certainly come at the right time, after a lot of work. I asked for a great reaction and I thank our men for the effort and the the capabilities shown.

"The fact that the first victory of the season has come at Silverstone, on the same track and in the same month when Ferrari won its first GP in 1951 demonstrates the team's strength and shows that Ferrari is always there and that a red car has been at the start of every race for the past 60 years.

shostak
19th July 2011, 18:04
Well, it's a reconfirmation then. :lol

SilverSpeed
19th July 2011, 18:59
Just to be absolutly sure he :-D

Forzi
19th July 2011, 22:59
Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo insists there are no doubts about Felipe Massa's presence at the Italian team next year.

Drivers such as Mark Webber have been linked to Ferrari's second seat as Massa continues to be overshadowed by team-mate Fernando Alonso.

The Brazilian has not won a race since the 2008 season and is yet to outqualify the Spaniard this year.

Despite speculation about Massa's future, di Montezemolo says there will be no changes to Ferrari's line-up next year.

"Massa and Alonso always bring something more," di Montezemolo was quoted as saying by Sky Italia.

"In the seventies, when I was a young sporting director, people would say that car and driver counted 50-50. Nowadays the car counts for more, but it's in that 30% that the driver can make a difference.

"Alonso is super, Massa is coming back: I think the drivers are not a problem. This is the time for gossip, but next year's drivers will remain Alonso and Massa."

He also backed Alonso's view that the team should not give up on the title despite the gap to the leaders, the Spaniard still 92 points behind Sebastian Vettel despite his win at Silverstone last week.

"[Alonso] is right to keep hoping [about the title], because hope dies last," di Montezemolo said. "We are all disappointed of not having been where we wanted to be at the start of the season, and this is why I'm pleased with the Silverstone victory, with a demonstration of superiority that gives us good hope.

"We'll count the points at the end. In the meantime we are working with next year in mind too."

He added: "The victory has certainly come at the right time, after a lot of work. I asked for a great reaction and I thank our men for the effort and the the capabilities shown.

"The fact that the first victory of the season has come at Silverstone, on the same track and in the same month when Ferrari won its first GP in 1951 demonstrates the team's strength and shows that Ferrari is always there and that a red car has been at the start of every race for the past 60 years.

sagi58
20th July 2011, 02:50
I wonder if Kimi is reading this and what his reaction might be?:angel

REDARMYSOJA
20th July 2011, 02:55
I wonder if Kimi is reading this and what his reaction might be?:angel

Why would it matter what Kimi thinks? He had his chance.

sagi58
20th July 2011, 02:57
As a fan of his, I would be curious for no other reason than to know!! :-)

Mr Alcatraz
20th July 2011, 03:28
As a fan of his, I would be curious for no other reason than to know!! :-)
I was a big proponent of Kimi and appreciated his service, but I don't think he gives a R@ts a$$ what goes on at Ferrari. He's moved on. :wave

Nova
20th July 2011, 04:33
Why would it matter what Kimi thinks? He had his chance.

Had his chance n became the WDC for Ferrari...what more could I ask for..how many drivers get to do that?

sv_godspeed
20th July 2011, 08:18
I was a big proponent of Kimi and appreciated his service, but I don't think he gives a R@ts a$$ what goes on at Ferrari. He's moved on. :wave

agree whole-heartedly!

i still have a small grudge against Ferrari for "letting him go" the way they did. i accept he wasn't at his best in 2009, but the way it was done was rather unceremonious and i dont think he really will be bothered by goings-on at SF any longer...

Stormsearcher
20th July 2011, 08:28
Not really surprised at this. Good for the stability of the team. I think they make good team mates. :-)

coolrunnings_99
20th July 2011, 09:04
It is not true, that ferrari cars have been at the start of every GP for the past 60 years.
Few people know it, which doesnt change the above fact, especially since LM is one of those few.

Kingdom Hearts
20th July 2011, 09:11
The right choice, Massa is improving and if we can confirm this weekend that the car it's at the same level of the RB (or a little behind), Felipe is going to be on the top 4 all season long, unless he is unlucky or bad pit stops.

racingbradley
20th July 2011, 09:41
I just think they are a great pairing and as well as driving for Ferrari there is also the PR which both appear to excel at. :-D
Ferrari are in the business to sell cars and our drivers fit the Ferrari brand. :-)

Greig
20th July 2011, 10:09
It is not true, that ferrari cars have been at the start of every GP for the past 60 years.
Few people know it, which doesnt change the above fact, especially since LM is one of those few.

Did we race after Gilles died mate? seem to remember reading we just packed up and went home?

F2008
20th July 2011, 10:21
Ferrari withdrew from the race in Zolder 1982 + they did not compete at all in Austria 1976 after Lauda's crash.

Greig
20th July 2011, 10:51
So Massa out in 2013 rumours can start soon then :-D

F2008
20th July 2011, 10:53
Also no Ferraris at the
- 1959 British Grand Prix
- 1960 United States Grand Prix
- 1961 United States Grand Prix
- 1962 French Grand Prix
- 1962 United States Grand Prix
- 1962 South African Grand Prix
- 1966 British Grand Prix
- 1966 Mexican Grand Prix
- 1967 South African Grand Prix
- 1968 Monaco Grand Prix
- 1969 German Grand Prix
- 1973 Dutch Grand Prix
- 1973 German Grand Prix
- 1982 Swiss Grand Prix

NJB13
20th July 2011, 12:32
In the 1960 US GP and 1966 British GP a Cooper raced with a Ferrari engine.

Rob
20th July 2011, 12:39
i dont think Scuderia Ferrari were at Watkins Glen US GP 1964, they withdrew if remember right and Big John raced the North American Racing Team Ferrari 158 it was a white and blue 1.

racingbradley
20th July 2011, 13:04
Also no Ferraris at the
- 1959 British Grand Prix
- 1960 United States Grand Prix
- 1961 United States Grand Prix
- 1962 French Grand Prix
- 1962 United States Grand Prix
- 1962 South African Grand Prix
- 1966 British Grand Prix
- 1966 Mexican Grand Prix
- 1967 South African Grand Prix
- 1968 Monaco Grand Prix
- 1969 German Grand Prix
- 1973 Dutch Grand Prix
- 1973 German Grand Prix
- 1982 Swiss Grand Prix

So the 1960's saw a lot of races minus Ferrari. :Hmm
I guess there were reasons. That's an interesting piece of research for a boring wet night!!!!:-) Shall have to get on it soon.:-)

sagi58
20th July 2011, 13:07
Also no Ferraris at... That's a lot of races!! Is there somewhere I can read about why they didn't compete?

racingbradley
20th July 2011, 13:07
So Massa out in 2013 rumours can start soon then :-D

A few race wins and maybe just podiums could change that. ;-)

coolrunnings_99
20th July 2011, 14:05
On one occasion, Enzo ordered them not to compete.
On more then one occasion, come to think of it.
Not couse of FIA homologation issues regarding protoytpes, which had everything to do with with NART, and white&blue F2/F1 ferrari cars.

The occasion I was reffering to, was an order from Enzo, to go back to the drawing boards and not compete as backmarkers.
It does take a special kind of person, to issue such an order.
Also, it takes a certain kind of person, not to remember it, and call other teams names.

I think we did pack it after Zolder qualis, but thats a different matter.

NJB13
20th July 2011, 15:30
In the early 60's, if the championships were won or lost by the last rounds (especially if they were far/expensive to travel to e.g. US or Sth Africa) Ferrari just wouldn't go. Also, I think the one Indy they didn't compete at was the race after Monza where Von Tripp died.

Rishu
20th July 2011, 15:53
I hope Massa finds his lost form & can sign a similar contract as Alonso's. Its an excellent pairing

watto2
20th July 2011, 16:35
It makes sense to continue with a proven driver pairing! "If it works ,don't fix it". We don't want any tempramental prima donnas upsetting a settled team, do we?
Good luck Fellipi & Fernando, lets hope the engineers can give you the perfect car for the job next season?

Mr Alcatraz
20th July 2011, 16:42
lets hope the engineers can give you the perfect car for the job next season?
I'm not giving up on this season unless we get past Hungary, and we haven't gained any substancial ground. :-!

Suzie
20th July 2011, 20:01
I'm hoping the fact that Fernando gets along with Felipe AND beats him will help keep Felipe in the team beyond next season.
(But I'm mentally preparing myself that 2012 will finally be his last season with us :-s)

REDARMYSOJA
20th July 2011, 21:06
Had his chance n became the WDC for Ferrari...what more could I ask for..how many drivers get to do that?

Schumi won 5 championships for Ferrari and I don't care what he thinks of the current driver line up either.

Mr Alcatraz
20th July 2011, 22:07
Schumi won 5 championships for Ferrari and I don't care what he thinks of the current driver line up either.
Exactly, I worshiped Mike when he was a "Scud". He hardly ever even crosses my mind anymore.
I admit it, I'm a diehard Tifosi, and I will fully support anyone they trot out there :munch

watto2
21st July 2011, 14:19
Don't get me wrong! I have not given up on this season. Anything can happen in the next few months!!
I'm not giving up on this season unless we get past Hungary, and we haven't gained any substancial ground. :-!

Mr Alcatraz
21st July 2011, 14:52
Don't get me wrong! I have not given up on this season. Anything can happen in the next few months!!
Miracles happen :-)