PDA

View Full Version : New Technical regulations for 2014

F1NAC
21st July 2011, 10:55
ohhh.. 8 gears , going into pits only with kers , smaller front wing etc ..

F1 cars will have to run on electrical power only in the pit lane from 2014.

The technical rules for 2014 published by the FIA state cars must run “in electric mode” with “no ignition and no fuel supply to the engine at all times when being driven in the pit lane.”

Teams will be able to use both kinetic energy recovery and, for the first time, also recover energy from exhaust heat.

The kinetic element of the system will be twice as powerful as that used today with 120kW available.

The rules also define the new 1.6-litre V6 engines which will be introduced. These will be limited to 15,000rpm, down from 18,000 today.

They will retain the same 90-degree V-angle, and be restricted to a maximum fuel flow of 100kg/h.

The design, dimensions and materials used in the new engines are defined in more specific terms by the rules than the current V8s, which were introduced in 2006.
Self-starting motors

A further change to the rules will enable F1 cars to do something every road car is capable of – start on its own.

The rules will require drivers to be able to start the engine “when seated normally at the wheel and without any external assistance.”

This should put an end to drivers retiring from races because of stalled engines.
Minimum weight increase

The minimum weight of the cars will increase again, to 660kg (from 640kg).

A minimum weight for the power unit (including the engine and energy recovery system) has been set at 155kg – previously the engine alone was subject to a minimum weight of 95kg.
Smaller front wings

An addition to the rules on bodywork will reduce the size of front wings. At present these may use the full 1,800mm width of the cars – from 2014 they will be cut to 1,650mm.

Further tightening of restrictions at the front and rear of the car, and around the middle of the car to continue the work begun in the 2009 regulations changes to ‘clean up’ the appearance of the cars and reduce the number of small aerodynamic appendages.
Extra gear

The number of forward gears will be increased to eight – and no fewer.

The FIA will allow a dispensation in 2014 when teams nominate which gear ratios they will use: “For 2014 only, a competitor may re-nominate these ratios once within the Championship season, in which case the original nomination becomes immediately void.

“Ratio re-nominations must be declared as a set and may only be effected by the substitution of change gears.”

See the changes to the rules in full on the FIA’s website.

What’s your view on the rules changes for 2014? Are you pleased with all the changes? Have your say in the comments.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/07/20/f1-cars-electric-power-pits-2014/

Ferrari_Fanatic
21st July 2011, 11:14
beat me to it just about to post ;-)

sagi58
21st July 2011, 11:15
Here's hoping someone will "translate" into plain English!! :pray

Ferrari_Fanatic
21st July 2011, 11:16
Here's hoping someone will "translate" into plain English!! :pray

it's all in English LMAO :lol

F1NAC
21st July 2011, 11:18
This is interesting: the car must be run in electric mode (no ignition and no fuel supply to the engine) at all times
when being driven in the pit lane.

sagi58
21st July 2011, 11:25
it's all in English LMAO :lol
Sure, if you're mechanically inclined!! :-P

Maybe I should have stressed the plain? :lol

durden
21st July 2011, 11:34
2014 the year I switched to a different motor sport.

FerrariF60
21st July 2011, 11:39
2014 the year I switched to a different motor sport.

that was my feeling too when i heard of those 4 banger engines coming; but with the V6's and all, i can't be that bad.

i can't say i like it, but i'll get used to the new rules....what else am i gonna watch?? GP2, NASCAR....no freaking way!!!

for me is F1 or nothing

Ste
21st July 2011, 11:56
First they increased the front wing width, now they're reducing it again. Make your minds up!

First KERS was introduced, then it was dropped, then re-introduced and now it's being given a power boost. Isn't it powerful enough already?

How will the engine 'start' when drivers leave the pit lane and 'stop' when they enter?

Cleaning up the middle of the cars of all the aero devices (not that there are many!) is basically standardising each car, more like GP2. Why? Again taking away a large area where engineers can compete.

Running the entire season with one gear ratio setting? What! That's ridiculous (Unless I've completely mis-understood?). What about places like Monaco where the gear ratios are VERY short compared with Monza or Spa where they're much longer. They'll either be bouncing off the limiter in 4th gear or not reaching 8th.

NOT stalling the engine was another skill the driver needed, but since that's being taken away, they're simply making it easier again.

8 gears...why? I assume because at the moment they're hitting the limiter half way down a long straight.

Why is the minimum weight being upped, again? F1 cars are supposed to be light. Back in the early 2000's they had a kerb weight of 600KG (including driver, water and oil) and now they're going to be 720KG+.

I still fail to see how changing so many of the regulations is beneficial. Designing a whole new KERS system to take heat from the exhausts, designing and making new 1.6l V6 engines, new 8 speed gearboxes, new engine start systems, electronic systems to change from engine to electric....It all costs money - a LOT of money. They'd have saved more money just sticking with what we currently have.

I don't see why they don't take the perspective that F1 does 20 races a year, with 24 cars for 6 1/2 hours a time. That's such a minuscule amount of fuel and gases etc etc when you compare it to other things like aeroplanes or oil tankers for example.

An oil tanker for example, does 6 inches to the gallon. (Yes, 6 inches). They use 1,660 gallons of fuel every hour. In comparison, F1 uses around 200,000 litres of fuel (43,993 gallons) in a season (that includes testing, practice, qualifying and races). So, a single oil tanker will use as much fuel as F1 does in a season, in the space of 26 hours.

Remind me what the problem is?

F1NAC
21st July 2011, 12:07
First they increased the front wing width, now they're reducing it again. Make your minds up!

First KERS was introduced, then it was dropped, then re-introduced and now it's being given a power boost. Isn't it powerful enough already?

How will the engine 'start' when drivers leave the pit lane and 'stop' when they enter?

Cleaning up the middle of the cars of all the aero devices (not that there are many!) is basically standardising each car, more like GP2. Why? Again taking away a large area where engineers can compete.

Running the entire season with one gear ratio setting? What! That's ridiculous (Unless I've completely mis-understood?). What about places like Monaco where the gear ratios are VERY short compared with Monza or Spa where they're much longer. They'll either be bouncing off the limiter in 4th gear or not reaching 8th.

NOT stalling the engine was another skill the driver needed, but since that's being taken away, they're simply making it easier again.

8 gears...why? I assume because at the moment they're hitting the limiter half way down a long straight.

Why is the minimum weight being upped, again? F1 cars are supposed to be light. Back in the early 2000's they had a kerb weight of 600KG (including driver, water and oil) and now they're going to be 720KG+.

I still fail to see how changing so many of the regulations is beneficial. Designing a whole new KERS system to take heat from the exhausts, designing and making new 1.6l V6 engines, new 8 speed gearboxes, new engine start systems, electronic systems to change from engine to electric....It all costs money - a LOT of money. They'd have saved more money just sticking with what we currently have.

I don't see why they don't take the perspective that F1 does 20 races a year, with 24 cars for 6 1/2 hours a time. That's such a minuscule amount of fuel and gases etc etc when you compare it to other things like aeroplanes or oil tankers for example.

An oil tanker for example, does 6 inches to the gallon. (Yes, 6 inches). They use 1,660 gallons of fuel every hour. In comparison, F1 uses around 200,000 litres of fuel (43,993 gallons) in a season (that includes testing, practice, qualifying and races). So, a single oil tanker will use as much fuel as F1 does in a season, in the space of 26 hours.

drivers will be able to turn on and off the engine by themselves

Ste
21st July 2011, 12:11
drivers will be able to turn on and off the engine by themselves

Yes...that's turning it on and off. How do you switch from engine to electric and vice versa?

Rob
21st July 2011, 12:22

same as me, can not see problem with what we have at moment. If not broken, dont fix it. Teams got spend alot more Euros now to make and design new parts. Silly.

Hornet
21st July 2011, 12:36

The only thing I can see among those gibberish is more green bull crap

Its bordering on paranoia already. They are going to the extreme to make the cars green.

F1NAC
21st July 2011, 12:39
Yes...that's turning it on and off. How do you switch from engine to electric and vice versa?

hm they will probably switch from engine mod to electromotor mod, I don't know this rules are destroying F1

Nick Singer
21st July 2011, 12:44
Political correctness, a PR job to satisfy the tree huggers and those who think Basil Brush is a real fox..

I think F1 cars should each carry at least 5 square metres of photovoltaic panels as well as a full size wind turbine....

Pfft!

Ferrari_Fanatic
21st July 2011, 12:46

:lol

anyway im gonna reserve judgement until i see it if it's as bad as i think its going to be then maybe i'll have to switch off until they switch it back to the v8's or even v10's

Sempre_Ferrari
21st July 2011, 13:45
I'm disappointed to say the least, those rules aren't F1 but an etilrely different racing series...:-s

They keep yapping about "the fans this...the fans that" yet they just do what they dam well like and shove their asinine rules down our throats. See how they like it when revenue drops because their "beloved fans" no longer tune in..

F1NAC
21st July 2011, 14:11
I hope this rules will change like the story about 4 cylinder

raylinds
21st July 2011, 15:52
Limit of 15000 RPM?!?!? This is just rubbish. I guess I'll need to find a new sport to follow in a few years.

scuderiafan
21st July 2011, 16:12
what about the power? cant have Ferrari road cars beating the f1 cars on power. i hope it is at least 750bhp, which it is now.

AND NO FREEZE!!!!

Ste
21st July 2011, 16:23
what about the power? cant have Ferrari road cars beating the f1 cars on power. i hope it is at least 750bhp, which it is now.

AND NO FREEZE!!!!

The power of the engines is dropping to around 600bhp. However, overall power stays at around 750bhp when you include 150bhp from the new KERS unit.

scuderiafan
21st July 2011, 16:25
The power of the engines is dropping to around 600bhp. However, overall power stays at around 750bhp when you include 150bhp from the new KERS unit.

thats fine, as i think the KERS will be continual, and not a boost button, and will give sonstant power (i think :-??)

also, im very interested by the recovery systems. but i wish teams were allowed to do what they want with them, no limits. KERS can be great, and another area of development, if used well, imo.

zeus2
21st July 2011, 16:50
So are those the rules they will be introducing in 2014 or the ones they will be banning in 2015? :-)

http://www.f1talks.pl/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/d11ger157-530x353.jpg

Looks like Lotus is already working on their 2017 car. :-D