PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton wants longer Anthem!

Ste
27th July 2011, 10:34
From The Telegraph

Formula 1 ace Lewis Hamilton has called for the British national anthem to be extended so he can spend more time standing on the podium.

The McLaren driver raced to victory in the German Grand Prix on Sunday in what he called one of his best ever performances.

But the 26-year-old feels that 'God Save The Queen' is far shorter than his rival's national anthems that he is being cheated of podium time after claiming victory.

Hamilton said: "I am massively proud to hear the national anthem.

"When you're growing up and you see Olympians standing on the podium and you see the greats, you dream of yourself being up there and having the national anthem playing.

"The only thing is everyone elses is much longer than ours so I would urge the UK to make our national anthem much longer.

"When I stand up there and Felipe (Massa) has won, theirs is like ten minutes long and when I'm there it's less than half a minutes."

And with a different spin from The Sun:

LEWIS HAMILTON wants longer to reign over his rivals.

The Formula One star has called for the National Anthem to be extended so he can spend more time on the podium.
Brit Hamilton roared to victory in Sunday's German Grand Prix after what he rated one of his best-ever performances.
But the 26-year-old McLaren driver feels God Save The Queen is far shorter than his rivals' anthems and he is being cheated of podium time after a victory.
Hamilton said: "I am massively proud to hear the National Anthem.
"When you're growing up and you see Olympians and the greats standing on the podium, you dream of being up there and having the anthem played.
"But everyone else's is much longer than ours, so I would urge the UK to extend our National Anthem. When I stand up there and Felipe Massa has won, Brazil's anthem is like 10 minutes long. Ours is less than half a minute." Hamilton has vowed to win again in Hungary this weekend if the team give him the same car.

FerrariF60
27th July 2011, 10:57
i don't think he has to worry about it; he's not gonna be up there too many times
it's gonna be the RED's that are are going to up there and the spanish and/or brazilian anthem we're and he (lewser) is gonna hear till the end of season

Ree
27th July 2011, 10:58
lol, my boyfriend told me about this last night, I didn't believe him at first.

Sometimes I manage to talk mnyself into believing that Hamilton isn't so bad...... and then he either says something like this or starts ramming people off the track again.

Katu
27th July 2011, 11:06
:rotfl who would have believed Hamilton could be such a funny guy. it's joke, right?

sagi58
27th July 2011, 12:00
Sooo sweet (( :crazy)) the guy is patriotic, eh?? Out of curiosity, do they play "God Save the :msking" in Sweden? :angel

btw... is there a specified number of minutes and seconds that National Anthems are played?

epiclyaddicted
27th July 2011, 12:06
Lewis... just don't ever talk, like ever again! You only humiliate yourself everytime you open your mouth.

Cheers.

Rob
27th July 2011, 12:09
Lewis... just don't ever talk, like ever again! You only humiliate yourself everytime you open your mouth.

Cheers.

:rotfl:thumb

scuderiafan
27th July 2011, 12:22
lol, half the country dont even like the national anthem.

the italian national anthem is by far the best.

might get it for my ipod :-D

Rob
27th July 2011, 12:30
i think, i cannt remember but they only play the first verse bout 1 minute or so maybe bit longer. If Lewis didnt realise it is couple minutes long. And they only play 1 verse from each Anthem, ours, Italians (the best) Brazilian, Austrian. Its not twe have shorter anthem, just the verse they use, is maybe bit shorter.

Rob
27th July 2011, 12:31
i post up the headline The Sun has run on their website :roll:lol......

Lewis Hamilton: I need a longer anthem!

just like how they have put I NEED

sagi58
27th July 2011, 12:35
Maybe the poor kid is confused. Maybe he doesn't realize that the National Anthem of the winner AND the winning team are played?
Maybe he needs to be reminded that he AND McLaren are BOTH from Britain?:doh

(( He also needs to revisit his Math tutor: "When I stand up there and Felipe Massa has won, Brazil's anthem is like 10 minutes long.
Ours is less than half a minute." OR maybe he needs to learn not to speak in extremes all the time?? :ouch ))

sav_pap
27th July 2011, 12:36
The guy is just a parody!!! Unbelievable!!!

ferrari4life
27th July 2011, 13:07
Isnt this the guy that left England to live in a tax haven to avoid paying his dues?
How come you chose to be patriotic when you feel like you need to be the center of attention.

Ferrari_Fanatic
27th July 2011, 13:18

I already have it on my iPhone ;-)

kingjuani
27th July 2011, 13:22
Does Lewis think he is the POPE now or something, after 1 victory or being on the Podium for the first time in months he can now demand sh#t like this??

sv_godspeed
27th July 2011, 13:44
just when i was starting to half-believe that the "old Lewis" - the super-talented no-nonsense racing driver made a come-back in Germany, he goes and says this! :giveup
...why Lewis? why? please just shut up and race....

Katu
27th July 2011, 13:50
real lewis is like macca - once you get this disillusion that he is normal, he proves you once again that you were wrong.

Hermann
27th July 2011, 13:59
real lewis is like macca - once you get this disillusion that he is normal, he proves you once again that you were wrong.

Means you better avoid falling into that kind of trap :lol

Ste
27th July 2011, 14:17

:lol I've already done that. Got a few good ones on my iPod. Not the British though, it's crap.

Alonsomaniac
27th July 2011, 14:38
Would be funny to see though: Hammy standing there and the other two taking a chair and a table, playing some cardtricks and drinking a beer..........maybe a barbeque?

Tiz
27th July 2011, 14:46
Surprised he hasn't asked for it to be played twice: once for him as winner and once for the team as winning team. Alternative if he wants to stand on podium longer - choose to race for a non-British team (preferably not Ferrari!).

F1NAC
27th July 2011, 15:04
Finnish and Italian athem's are the best combination :D

Ree
27th July 2011, 15:19
Had to laugh, The Times have written this:

"To do full justice to Hamiltons epic self-esteem, a specially written new verse of God Save the Queen is clearly required. So the next time he ascends the victor's poduim, we suggest that the following be appended:

God bless my great ego,
That and my piles of dough,
Long may I preen.
Though tax laws now ensure
I live in Swiss grandeur,
My heart's in Hertfordshire,
God save the Queen !"

:lol

scuderiafan
27th July 2011, 15:24

"To do full justice to Hamiltons epic self-esteem, a specially written new verse of God Save the Queen is clearly required. So the next time he ascends the victor's poduim, we suggest that the following be appended:

God bless my great ego,
Long may I preen.
God save the Queen !"

:clap :thumb :haha: :rotfl

PURE PASSION
27th July 2011, 15:39
I on the other hand,understand lewis!!!!He is saying that his chances to be on the top of the podium,are very very small!!!It might be his last time this year so if he is 1st once or twice per year,at least to stay there longer time!!!! :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

epiclyaddicted
27th July 2011, 16:08

God bless my great ego,
Long may I preen.
God save the Queen !"

Is it really from The Times? That's brilliant! :rotfl

Ree
27th July 2011, 16:11
Is it really from The Times? That's brilliant! :rotfl

Yeah, never thought I'd see the day when a British newspaper actually said something negative about him lol

.... it was written by a guy called Richard Morrison

Alessandra
27th July 2011, 16:25
It's so outrageously vain that perhaps it's a 'joke'?

It's what happens when he tries to say things he's thought of himself , departing from his usual habit of copying what others say (one certain other in particular), currently the notion that if the top teams win podium points together it might open the door for someone other than Vettel to win the DWC. Where did you hear that one first folks:Hmm

Meiga
27th July 2011, 16:29
F1 and its entourage never stops surprising me... :-P

And for the record, the British anthem is not bad at all - yet I still prefer the Spanish one on an F1 podium ;-) .I have to say that the Spanish anthem and its lack of words has given us a few funny sport-related anecdotes over the years...

M.K
27th July 2011, 16:32
.... it was written by a guy called Richard Morrison

Blasphemer...:-D

Suzie
27th July 2011, 16:50
I agree with Lewis... I'd rather hear Brazil's over ours as well.

REDARMYSOJA
27th July 2011, 16:56
He just wants to stand up there and gloat a bit longer.

sagi58
27th July 2011, 17:42
...I have to say that the Spanish anthem and its lack of words has given us a few funny sport-related anecdotes over the years... Would you please share?? ;-)

Julie B
27th July 2011, 17:48
Let him go to Red Bull then....the Austrian one goes on forever :-)

I heard that Spain were having a competition or something for someone to write words to their Anthem :lol

sagi58
27th July 2011, 17:54
Does anyone have actual "times" of how long each anthem is played for?
Is there an FIA regulation on that, too?:roll

Katu
27th July 2011, 18:21
i know that they play full finnish anthem. that's a short one.
maybe they discriminate hamilton because he's black. it's the only explanation

REDARMYSOJA
27th July 2011, 18:52
Does anyone have actual "times" of how long each anthem is played for?
Is there an FIA regulation on that, too?:roll

There is a regulation for anthems, but nothing about length, just that it must be played.

From The Sporting Regs, Article 46 PODIUM CEREMONY AND POST EVENT PRESS CONFERENCE

APPENDIX 3 : PODIUM CEREMONY

3. ANTHEMS
a) The national anthem of the winning driver and winning team will be played. The Nationalities of the
teams and drivers will be notified to the organiser by the FIA and will accord with Article 112 of the
Code.
b) A suitable sound system should be installed to ensure that national anthems, (initiated by the
master of ceremonies) are clearly heard with an audio link to the TV broadcast.
c) When the champagne shower begins, music should be played. This should not start until the
presenters have left the podium.
d) A commentary of the podium ceremony should be broadcast to the general public from the
platform erected for the TV cameras.

giodap
27th July 2011, 18:52
so glad lewser doesnt race for us. very talented guy but my god hes such an idiot. thankyou luca for signing alonso for 5 more years!

SilverSpeed
27th July 2011, 19:05
Lol I wondered if he actually counts the duration of the different anthems haha.

racingbradley
27th July 2011, 19:36

I'm glad someone else thinks the same--it's dreary almost like a lament.
I prefer the Italian, Brazilian & spanish national anthems. ;-);-);-) They have a catchy tune, happy music makes you want to dance & celebrate.
As for the british national anthem it is more serene like a lament. :roll For me enough is enough Lewis my dear boy but there again no need to worry. We will be listening to the Italian N A :-D

watto2
27th July 2011, 19:53
i post up the headline The Sun has run on their website :roll:lol......

Lewis Hamilton: I need a longer anthem!

just like how they have put I NEED

You have to agree Lewis really is a class act with his wants and don't wants. In the Daily Mail (sorry, someone has to read it) today it was suggested that if he wants a longer anthem why not move back to England and pay his taxes like normal people:-??

Greig
27th July 2011, 20:09
Maybe he can have his own anthem, p-diddy can write it for him I guess :-D

siberianlady
27th July 2011, 20:33
I still think the most moving anthem is the south african one......closely followed by Italy and France........so maybe they should just play random anthems from outer mongolia or whatever to improve our education.........or something!
As for anthems.....before each GP they play the anthem of the host country.......for me the UK is the only country who got it right and had a military band play instead of the awful wailings we have to hear from elsewhere........its is usually more than groanfest.........

impactX
27th July 2011, 20:48
Lewis has a valid point. You guys are just racist!:lol

scuderiafan
27th July 2011, 22:13
I'm glad someone else thinks the same--it's dreary almost like a lament.
I prefer the Italian, Brazilian & spanish national anthems. ;-);-);-) They have a catchy tune, happy music makes you want to dance & celebrate.
As for the british national anthem it is more serene like a lament. :roll For me enough is enough Lewis my dear boy but there again no need to worry. We will be listening to the Italian N A :-D

yeah that too, but don't many also find it offensive. I don't, but many people want it changed.

doesn't the rugby team sing a different song?

Tifoso
27th July 2011, 22:34
Hamilton

KurtC
28th July 2011, 00:14
this is the one of the funniest thing i heard from hamilton hahahaha, ahh thank God for l'ino italiano, i quite like the spanish anthem and the german one tho...

Hornet
28th July 2011, 03:57
Ah, surprise surprise. Lewis probably thinks he's the reason the sun rises every morning.

NJB13
28th July 2011, 06:11
Ah, surprise surprise. Lewis probably thinks he's the reason the sun rises every morning.

Not only is he the reason for the sun rise, but it also shines from a certain not-too-often-seen part of his anatomy.

killer
28th July 2011, 06:40
Not only is he the reason for the sun rise, but it also shines from a certain not-too-often-seen part of his anatomy.

His brain?

NJB13
28th July 2011, 06:43
His brain?

I think its where his brain quite often is :-)

ducksick_ang
28th July 2011, 06:48
Ste, can you post the Italy anthem here, so i can d/load for Iphone. Thanks.

Meiga
28th July 2011, 08:33
Would you please share?? ;-)

It mostly has to do with the music system at certain events failing, and the guys in change of the medal ceremony asking the Spanish representatives to sign the anthem - which usually translates in good-humoured la-la-la type of words being made up on the spot (for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6VtYqdHg58 from 5:54).

Sorry about the off-topic!

Alessandra
28th July 2011, 12:12
Setting aside LH’s desire for love and attention and regarding the national anthems I have to say that I do agree with him on one point, I too have a wee bit of a problem with the length of the Italian anthem.

The first 24 bars or so, part 1, are fine, a bit militaristic but OK.
But when you get to the de dum dum de dummmm dum; de dum dum de dummmm dum (you know the bit I mean?) or part 2, I’m losing patience. I nip to the kitchen to replenish my glass and knock up a pasta sandwich and with luck on returning to my seat I’ve missed the repeat of part 1 i.e. part 3, as well.

Whereas, the British National Anthem is quite a modest, unbombastic piece by comparison and a reasonable length. Pity about the words. Fortunately most British athletes seem quite blank about the lyrics and just open and shut their mouths rhythmically. Neat trick.:-)

Rob
28th July 2011, 12:29

yeah and have Nicole Shirt what ever her name sing it and Hamilton and could rap in it to with the homey words he has learnt.:lol

puto.havana
28th July 2011, 12:36

He already has his own anthem, words and all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe3Z1koN8G4

XXX132
2nd August 2011, 05:24
Put on some Abba just :lolfor him, "Dancing Queen" maybe:lol

sagi58
2nd August 2011, 17:26
It mostly has to do with the music system at certain events failing, and the guys in change of the medal ceremony asking the Spanish representatives to sign the anthem - which usually translates in good-humoured la-la-la type of words being made up on the spot (for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6VtYqdHg58 from 5:54).

Sorry about the off-topic! Thanks, Meija!! Very cooool!! ;-)

Ferrarichamp
2nd August 2011, 17:45
so Lewis wants a longer Anthem, who gives a rat's patootie?

sagi58
2nd August 2011, 17:58
so Lewis wants a longer Anthem, who gives a rat's patootie? Another rat?? :angel

Ste
2nd August 2011, 18:56
Ste, can you post the Italy anthem here, so i can d/load for Iphone. Thanks.

Here's the MP3 I uploaded for you

http://www.mediafire.com/?4sssdlip4dqp1df

epiclyaddicted
2nd August 2011, 19:05
Here's the MP3 I uploaded for you

http://www.mediafire.com/?4sssdlip4dqp1df

You mind if I download it too? :pray

OldskoolF1
2nd August 2011, 19:16
Maybe we can look forward to a dub-step remix of God Save The Queen from Lewis and his homies

Ste
2nd August 2011, 19:22
You mind if I download it too? :pray

Of course not!

If you want the ringtone I made for iPhone let me know. :-D

epiclyaddicted
2nd August 2011, 21:31
If you want the ringtone I made for iPhone let me know. :-D

That'll be brilliant!

Would fit well with the Prancing Horse logo on my lock screen. :-D

Poltergeistes
3rd August 2011, 00:16
I do love to hear the brazilian + italian combo, too bad we haven't heard that in so long in F1, i am beginning to think that when i hear it again, i will cry like i did for interlagos 08. and the pom pom rom pom part of the italian anthem is the best come on!

PS we (brazilians) should hire cesar cielo for every podium cerimony that we have a brazuka at the top.

Ste
3rd August 2011, 07:06
That'll be brilliant!

Would fit well with the Prancing Horse logo on my lock screen. :-D

Here's the ringtone.

Just put this in iTunes, then sync your phone - make sure ringtones are ticked to sync.

http://www.mediafire.com/?cgeeb24jwtl79ml

NJB13
3rd August 2011, 07:21
Thanks Ste, sounds great on my droid-phone too :-)

epiclyaddicted
3rd August 2011, 08:29
Here's the ringtone.

Just put this in iTunes, then sync your phone - make sure ringtones are ticked to sync.

http://www.mediafire.com/?cgeeb24jwtl79ml

Thanks Ste, will try it out when I get home from work. :-)

scuderiafan
3rd August 2011, 08:31
Ste :thumb

thanks very much.

Ken
3rd August 2011, 14:16
]Let him go to Red Bull then....the Austrian one goes on forever[/B] :-)

I heard that Spain were having a competition or something for someone to write words to their Anthem :lol

I think he tried for that but failed to make contact (not like him )

epiclyaddicted
3rd August 2011, 19:46
Just synced it with the iPhone, works a treat!

Ste, you're a legend mate! :thumb

Aussie
3rd August 2011, 21:22

Australian antheam is the best as for the best country

Good On Lewis for saying that he loves his country and any driver will loved to stay on there a little longer

Poltergeistes
4th August 2011, 23:11
God save Ste!!! i quickly stole my mom's phone and downloaded it, put it back and then called her, made her week ! and so made mine too mate! seeing that i also love that sound!!!