PDA

View Full Version : Technical Director Role

type056
1st August 2011, 18:23
Hi.
I have some questions about technical director.
What is technical director role?
Is TD decide how car design to be?
I know that F1 car design around aerodynamics that require aerodynamicists(aerodinamics engineer) but Ferrari TD(Pat Fry) is electronic engineer,and even former Ferrari TD(Aldo Costa) was not aerodynamicists.
I am confused, why teams select non aerodynamics engineer for their TD?

Gerhard Berger
1st August 2011, 19:10
Ross Brawn was also not an aerodynamacist, but he was a brilliant technical director. Same goes for Patrick Head and Pat Symonds. I guess management skills are also very important for this role.

I guess the chief aerodynamicist and chief designer will have more input say on the chassis of the car.

impactX
2nd August 2011, 05:49
Ross Brawn was also not an aerodynamacist, but he was a brilliant technical director. Same goes for Patrick Head and Pat Symonds. I guess management skills are also very important for this role.

I guess the chief aerodynamicist and chief designer will have more input say on the chassis of the car.

RB was an aerodynamacist at Williams, so I am sure he had a solid understanding of the aero part of the car.

With regard to Patrick Head, he was an epic fail when he didn't step down from his role as technical director to make way for Newey (the aero guy for Williams back in the dominance era), who eventually moved to Mclaren. We all know how hard Williams failed after Newey left them.

Rishu
2nd August 2011, 06:25
Hi.
I have some questions about technical director.
What is technical director role?
Is TD decide how car design to be?
I know that F1 car design around aerodynamics that require aerodynamicists(aerodinamics engineer) but Ferrari TD(Pat Fry) is electronic engineer,and even former Ferrari TD(Aldo Costa) was not aerodynamicists.
I am confused, why teams select non aerodynamics engineer for their TD?

Like in any organisation, CEO can be from Finance or Marketing background, same goes in F1. Its not necessary that TD has to be an Aerodynamist. Its ok if RB have their TD an aero expert but its not something must. Head of aero can report to TD as well. TD eventually takes the call on the development of the entire car, engine, aero, hydraulics, brakes & so on....

racingbradley
2nd August 2011, 11:28
I reckon the management skills are the most important for this role and the ability to find and employ a good team who collectively have all of the skills required. :-)

MarlboroFA
2nd August 2011, 17:19
a technical director is like a conductor in an orchestra...He doesn`t need to play an instrument as long as he can manage them al playing synced together.

watto2
2nd August 2011, 19:34
Surely Ross Brawn's skills lay in his engineering background coupled with his ability to produce a race stratergy. He did this so well at Beneton that MS bought him to Ferrari. However he does not seem to be able to perfrm his magic at Mercedes,
I think whoever is in charge, unless all elements gel at the same time the team will struggle to catch RB or whichever team currently "holds all the aces"