View Full Version : Ecclestone rules out electric motors

Ferrari_Fanatic
6th August 2011, 03:51
Bernie Ecclestone has said Formula One's 2014 engine regulations will be tweaked because a rule that says cars must run on electric engines only in the pit lane would mean "people could be killed".

With the engines being downsized from the current 2.4-litre V8's to a 1.6-litre V6 turbo, there are also a number of other new regulations that have been agreed such as a more powerful KERS unit. As a result, article 5.19 in the preliminary technical regulations states 'The car must be run in electric mode (no ignition and no fuel supply to the engine) at all times when being driven in the pit lane.'

Ecclestone, however, said that the danger posed to those working in the pit lane by a lack of engine noise means that article will be removed.

"Formula One is absolutely not the right place to have electric engines," Ecclestone told the Daily Express. "It's like having ballet dancers with sneakers. More comfortable, but it doesn't work... There's no way that it will be electric in the pit lane. People could be killed because they won't hear the cars coming."

Following criticism of the new rules, Ecclestone defended current FIA president Jean Todt, saying it was actually a result of his predecessor Max Mosley's recommendations.

"We can't blame Jean Todt because this was started by Max [Mosley]. It was Max's original idea. His idea is what is being promoted now."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd

Hornet
6th August 2011, 04:41
Finally something that I can fully support. Keep electric motors out of F1!

RLeVan
6th August 2011, 05:11
I get the feeling this is 99% Bernie supporting something that might cut into his profits more than safety. Think about it, with the telemetry data being sent to the pits, how hard would it be to implement a 'beep' in pit stalls tied to the flashing pit light on the rear of every car when entering the pits to notify the pitlane that a car is incoming. If it's possible to audio transmissions to the pitbox, it's certainly possible to have an audio que sent to a pitlane loudspeaker system. I'm not saying that I like the idea of electric motors in the pitlane, I just get the feeling Bernie thinks we're complete idiots if we'll by into the ballet dancers with sneakers reasoning.

Jacquesvw
8th August 2011, 13:02
I get the feeling this is 99% Bernie supporting something that might cut into his profits more than safety. Think about it, with the telemetry data being sent to the pits, how hard would it be to implement a 'beep' in pit stalls tied to the flashing pit light on the rear of every car when entering the pits to notify the pitlane that a car is incoming. If it's possible to audio transmissions to the pitbox, it's certainly possible to have an audio que sent to a pitlane loudspeaker system. I'm not saying that I like the idea of electric motors in the pitlane, I just get the feeling Bernie thinks we're complete idiots if we'll by into the ballet dancers with sneakers reasoning.

Don't they already have a siren when a car comes into the pit?

mm154
8th August 2011, 14:03
Yeah there is alarm noise when cars cross the limiter line...

But I think Bernie is thinking more like during practice/Quali when there is a lot of activity in the pit lane... I can see how a mechanic, especially when they have their helmets on, could fail to spot a car as they go about their work... Every now and then you see drivers come back to the garages, pull across the pit lane, and wait for their mechanics to push them into the garage while another driver is behind them and rather than wait for the mechanics to push their car into the garage the other driver cuts through the pit stall to get to their own. I think that is a mildly dangerous practice now, but it wouldn't be hard to for see the instance where a mechanic who forgot his jack, tyre blanket, etc... to turn and run back into the garage without looking...

Regardless, I think its for the best to do away with a dumb idea like electric motors in the pit-lane even if the rational is a bit weak...

Ree
8th August 2011, 15:44
This probably means that in a couple of years F1 will be completely electric.... I don't believe a word this man says.

xpman
8th August 2011, 17:58
how come we dont have lpg or diesel fuel /engines ????????????????????????

Tifoso
8th August 2011, 18:31
Attaboy, Bernie!

justjesper
8th August 2011, 23:05
Electric motors are already in F1. (KERS)

It is the only right way to go for the future. Bernie is just holding a hand over the Oil industry and making sure he gets his $$$
He never got his stupid medal thing thru ether :lol
Think it's a great idea, and why not run Electric in the pit, it will be easier for journalists to do there work and give the TV spectators more for there money.

sagi58
8th August 2011, 23:45
Maybe we should hold out for a top of the line, noiseless, environmentally friendly, wet/dry http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/cursormania/files/10/5473a.gif?? :angel

justjesper
9th August 2011, 09:07
What ever rocks your boat, mate

sagi58
9th August 2011, 11:54
What ever rocks your boat, mate pssst... I was being sarcastic!! ;-)
btw... is there a female version of "mate"?? :lol

NJB13
9th August 2011, 12:52
pssst... I was being sarcastic!! ;-)
btw... is there a female version of "mate"?? :lol

Ladette would be my guess :-)

sagi58
9th August 2011, 12:56
Ladette would be my guess :-) I think I prefer "woman" or the Italian version of "donna"!! ;-)

NJB13
9th August 2011, 13:04
I think I prefer "woman" or the Italian version of "donna"!! ;-)

It certainly beats "mate" :-)