PDA

View Full Version : Sky and BBC F1 coverage

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

M.K
29th July 2011, 06:48
The BBC and Sky Sports will broadcast Formula 1 in the UK between 2012 and 2018 under a new rights deal.

The BBC has been the exclusive broadcaster of F1 in the UK since 2009 but its contract with Formula One Management was due to expire after the 2013 season.

Sky Sports will show every race, qualifying session and practice live.

BBC Sport will broadcast half the races live, as well as the qualifying and practice sessions from those races.

Both companies will broadcast in high definition.

The BBC will have highlights on TV and mobile for any race it it is not showing live, and all races will be broadcast on BBC Radio 5 live.

Barbara Slater, director of BBC Sport, said: "We are absolutely delighted that F1 will remain on the BBC.

"The sport has never been more popular with TV audiences at a 10-year high and the BBC has always stated its commitment to the big national sporting moments.

"With this new deal not only have we delivered significant savings but we have also ensured that through our live and extended highlights coverage all the action continues to be available to licence-fee payers."

Races shown live on BBC TV will include the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, the Monaco GP and the concluding race of the season.

Barney Francis, managing director of Sky Sports, said: "This is fantastic news for F1 fans and Sky Sports will be the only place to follow every race live and in HD.

"We will give F1 the full Sky Sports treatment with a commitment to each race never seen before on UK television."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9550930.stm

Tony79
29th July 2011, 06:59
So much for it staying on free to air channels!

Mrs.Domenicali
29th July 2011, 07:01
What is the point in only showing half of races live on the BBC? :roll

Basically the decision forces people to have to go and buy SKY if they want to follow all the qualy and races live. Otherwise it seems you have to wait for the highlights.

Not amused - only time my TV goes on is for the F1 - what am I paying my tv license for? :furious

goferrarigo
29th July 2011, 07:03
So when does this stupid half-half season start with half the races on BBC and half the races on sky, is it next year or 2013?

Tony79
29th July 2011, 07:11
As I read it - from next season

impactX
29th July 2011, 07:14
Half means from 0:00 until the race leader reaches the halfway mark. :lol

M.K
29th July 2011, 07:18
Not amused - only time my TV goes on is for the F1 - what am I paying my tv license for? :furious

How much do you have to pay for license? I guess Sky sports are pay tv and have to pay separately?

Im planning go to UK some time next year, but now I have to wonder how to get F1 on my future tv.

Ste
29th July 2011, 07:33
Now we all have to pay £50pm to watch it. Utterly shocking.

Tony79
29th July 2011, 07:34
They haven't mentioned anything about uninterrupted coverage- back to the commercial break scenario no doubt!

Ste
29th July 2011, 07:39
They haven't mentioned anything about uninterrupted coverage- back to the commercial break scenario no doubt!

They don't do it during a football match, only in coverage. Probably like that.

aj17ay
29th July 2011, 07:42
I hope there's NO commercials during the race! :-??

Fiondella
29th July 2011, 07:43
This at the same time as the far reaching phone tapping scandal where both Murdoch's etal seem absolutely complicit. Absolute farce. The BBC really are becoming a toothless force what with TV centre moving out of Wood Lane and relocating in Salford. What a joke they've become. Gutted to say the least, as I really believe this is retrgrade step wrt promotion of the sport

Ste
29th July 2011, 07:48
This at the same time as the far reaching phone tapping scandal where both Murdoch's etal seem absolutely complicit. Absolute farce. The BBC really are becoming a toothless force what with TV centre moving out of Wood Lane and relocating in Salford. What a joke they've become. Gutted to say the least, as I really believe this is retrgrade step wrt promotion of the sport

Agreed. What about F1 fans who can't not watch it but can't afford between £32 & £47pm (HD or Non HD)?

That's a LOT of money.

ruud king
29th July 2011, 07:52
Im glad we still get all of the GP for free overhere in the Netherlands,but with commercial brakes during the race, but i can always switch over to the belgian tv, they broadcast the whole race without interruptions.
I really like to watch the BBC during a GP weekend (dont we all love the comments from our bearded friend Eddie :doh) but if things are really gonna change like this im switching over to dutch/belgian telly....:Hmm

Schumyboy83
29th July 2011, 07:53
:furiousLooks like I will be in the local pub on a sunday afternoon now, Not good, Not amused,

Im sure if enough people kick up a stink then BBC will have to go back to showing it, :furious

Tony79
29th July 2011, 07:54

Neither do itv during the football but we all remember what happened there! Hope you're right mate but this is Sky mate... When they first introduced subscription in the early 90's, one of their selling points was that because you were paying extra they wouldnt need to run commercials.

I've no doubt they'll do a great show - fingers crossed that they keep the race free of interruption!

Ste
29th July 2011, 07:58
Sky say no adverts. :)

Nick Singer
29th July 2011, 08:00
Angry but not unduly surprised. Will be interested to know what the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM Sky package will be just to see F1..

Ste
29th July 2011, 08:03
Angry but not unduly surprised. Will be interested to know what the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM Sky package will be just to see F1..

£32 per month. That's without HD.

Nick Singer
29th July 2011, 08:09
Jeez! What else do you get in that?

vikingboy2069
29th July 2011, 08:13
There is absolutely no point in showing only half the races, might as well not bother and save the money.
So much for free-to air coverage going to cost me an extra 30 quid a year. :-s

No, only 1 when the team runs on the pitch, 3 during the 15 min break and then again as the team runs off the pitch.
I'm sure there will be ad-breaks during coverage again. Remember ITV never puts breaks during the football game either, but still managed to cram the F1 coverage full of it.

Ste
29th July 2011, 08:26
Jeez! What else do you get in that?

A box, dish and a variety pack.

For £47, you get HD and all channels apart from Movies & the second sports pack.

NanoTheQuickest
29th July 2011, 08:37
BBC is starting to S**K-Bottom big time!!! They should stop paying their pundits as much and broadcast what matters. e.g Clarkson £8m a year for top gear= come on...:roll

Ste
29th July 2011, 08:44
Bernie should have paid the BBC for it. He wouldn't have missed £150m.

impactX
29th July 2011, 08:51
Just watch online.

prancing horse
29th July 2011, 09:17
Although i am not in UK anymore I think this is pathetic.

Why did the BBC take on the F1 coverage at the first place if they couldn't afford it.

Naturally less and less people will follow the F1 as a result because not everyone can afford SKY subscription fees.

Out of curiosity does anyone know how many people the BBC take to every race (for the radio, TV and internet coverage). I am pretty sure it is double if not treble what ITV used to take.

All in all a total let down for all the UK F1 followers.

Sianellen
29th July 2011, 09:27
At home we have Virgin media so I may be able to watch it on pay per view when I am there because my family will probably want to see it as well (depends if they can afford it though), but when I go back to University there is just no way I will be able to watch them live on Sky. Simply I cannot afford it. :-s I will keep up to date with the highlights and watch the races the BBC can show, but I'm gutted really.

RED
29th July 2011, 09:40
I'm definitely not paying for Sky to watch F1, so they will lose a few fans here (for half the season at least). But apparently Whitmarsh said moves to take F1 off free-to-air could be viewed as a breach of the Concorde Agreement? Could someone confirm it please?

vikingboy2069
29th July 2011, 09:41
I'm with Virgin and it'll cost me £22.50 to add all the Sky sports channels or £29.50 if I want HD.
I'm sure Sky will continue with its policy to spread its coverage over both Sky Sports 1 and 2, forcing you to subscribe to both both.

MRRabbit
29th July 2011, 09:43
cool! i already have Sky HD, doubt i'll be watching it tho since the swedish coverage is excellent as it is (since it went from free tv to pay, like it or not) ;)

NJB13
29th July 2011, 09:51
Definitely no free-2-air where I am in the Philippines. So I'm used to paying to watch F1. On the other hand we can get StarSports (which covers the races here) in a package for less than 8 UK pounds a month.

epiclyaddicted
29th July 2011, 09:52
I'm with Virgin Media and I do have the full Sky Sports package (luckily! as I watch the cricket and footie), but I still don't think this is a good move. F1 has been on free-to-air tv for decades in this country, and why should fans be suddenly forced to pay subscription for it?

Doesn't make sense.

NJB13
29th July 2011, 09:55
I'm definitely not paying for Sky to watch F1, so they will lose a few fans here (for half the season at least). But apparently Whitmarsh said moves to take F1 off free-to-air could be viewed as a breach of the Concorde Agreement? Could someone confirm it please?

I think the Concorde says it has to be shown of free-2-air "if" there is a national coverage TV station willing to televise it. If none of the free-2-air channels are willing to televise it, then its open to go to pay-tv.

996 GT1 Lover
29th July 2011, 10:05
I watch the races on the BBC iPlayer. :-( Oh well, I'll be done with college/university this upcoming spring, so at least I'll be able to afford cable and watch them on Speed then.

Mrs.Domenicali
29th July 2011, 10:16
It's not so bad if your a big watcher of TV and are happy to pay out monthly for SKY tv already, but the current financial situation in this country is squeezing people financially and times are tough, and I for one could not justify spending £360 plus a year purely to be able to watch F1 live.

aj17ay
29th July 2011, 10:41
Sky Sports says it won't show adverts during grands prix next year

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93461

Sky Sports has confirmed that it will not run adverts during its broadcast coverage of Formula 1 races next year, and will instead limit them to the pre and post-race show.

The broadcaster announced on Friday morning that it will screen every race, qualifying and practice session of the 2012 F1 season live while BBC Sport will scale-back its coverage to include just half the races.

Adverts became hugely unpopular with UK television audiences when F1 switched from the BBC to ITV in 1997, and a number of key moments during races - including Damon Hill taking the lead of that year's Hungarian Grand Prix in an Arrows - were missed as a result.

A spokesperson for Sky Sports told AUTOSPORT: "We won't have adverts while the races are running. We know they were very unpopular in the past and we don't have to go down that route."

The broadcaster has no plans to introduce a 'pay-per-view' scheme for races, meaning that fans will have to purchase a Sky Sports package and pay for it on a monthly basis.

Sky Sports News, which is available on all Sky packages without the need for a Sky Sports subscription, will feature pre and post-race analysis in addition to that broadcast on Sky Sports.

Everything broadcast on Sky Sports will also be available through its online and via mobile and tablet.

BBC will continue to show highlights of each race it does not broadcast live.

shostak
29th July 2011, 10:45
The new agreement BBC / Sky breaks the 'Concorde Agreement', the teams would be free to assemble their own championship without paying the FOM.

Source:
http://twitter.com/#!/joseluisf1

epiclyaddicted
29th July 2011, 10:51
The new agreement BBC / Sky breaks the 'Concorde Agreement', the teams would be free to assemble their own championship without paying the FOM.

Source:
http://twitter.com/#!/joseluisf1

:-E Is that for sure?!

Mrs.Domenicali
29th July 2011, 11:08
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93455

Formula 1 teams seek clarification on new BBC/Sky television deal

By Jonathan Noble Friday, July 29th 2011, 08:31 GMT

Formula 1 teams are to seek clarification from Bernie Ecclestone on the new BBC/Sky television deal amid concerns about the sport moving away from free-to-air television in 2012.

In a shock announcement on Friday morning, the BBC and Sky announced that they would be sharing coverage of F1 in Britain next year - with Sky showing every race on its subscription channels and the BBC showing only half of them.

That move has led to outrage from fans, who are unhappy that they will not be able to follow every race on free-to-air television.

Team principals have also expressed some surprise at not having every race shown on free-to-air television, but they want more details from Ecclestone to find out what the specifics of the deal are.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said that he would seek more information from Ecclestone, especially because he felt it important F1 was not taken off free-to-air.

"As I understand BBC are covering half the grands prix, and Sky are doing every practice session and everything else. It's interesting," he told AUTOSPORT. "I don't think anyone should be immediately reacting to say this is good, bad, or indifferent.

"What we need to understand is whether the large audience we currently enjoy in Formula 1 will be maintained. I think we also need to understand exactly how this is being done."

Whitmarsh said moves to take F1 off free-to-air could be viewed as a breach of the Concorde Agreement, with him claiming that there were clauses in the deal that ties the teams, Ecclestone and the FIA together that guarantees the sport's broadcast platform.

"We've got a range of safeguards within Concorde, and the right thing to do is to explore how the Formula 1 coverage is going to be dealt with in the future, and take a view from there," he said. "I don't know how many homes in the UK have Sky, but it is a pretty high proportion."

Williams chairman Adam Parr said the key was understanding the finer details of the arrangement - because what teams lose in widespread television viewing figures could be gained in an increased revenue from Sky.

"In principle I have no issue with optimising the balance between the revenues that we need, and getting a good reach in the audience," he told AUTOSPORT. "The devil is in the detail.

"I think it is a balance and, without knowing the details, you cannot comment on whether it is good or bad. What I do know is that Bernie is a very passionate believer in getting the broadest audience possible and I think he has almost certainly done this in order to do that. "

When asked what his message would be to disappointed fans, Parr said: "I am sympathetic to them. I understand it is difficult - but English Premier League fans have had that for a while haven't they?

"The one thing I would say, which I have said before, I know that whether you are coming to a race or are watching the sport at home and have to do that on pay TV which seems expensive, people have to bear in mind what it costs to put on this show. It is part of the character of F1.

"For us to design and build the two cars that we will have on the grid on Sunday here, without putting an engine in them, without putting a driver in them, without accounting for the 70 staff that we bring to each race – without all of that those cars cost £2 million. You multiply that by all the cars on the grid and that is £24 million minimum of the costs just to make the parts. That is part of the show.

"It is not a bloke or two blokes with a tennis racket and a pair of plimsolls with zero cost. It is a very, very expensive sport. The best thing we can do for fans, whether they want to come to the races or want to watch it on TV, is to reduce the cost of the sport without spoiling the show."

Parr also pointed out that the Sky/BBC deal was part of a changing media platform – and he drew comparisons between it and the 'freemium' platform of AUTOSPORT.

"I think that media distribution has changed so much, whether you have gone from paper magazines to a combination of magazine and online," he said. "For example, if you are a lover of AUTOSPORT you have a subscription service there as well as a free-to-air element. The whole media landscape is changing so quickly.

"The argument from AUTOSPORT would be: we cannot do this for free. We can get some revenue from advertising on the website, some from selling magazines, but we have to optimise our income – and if you want the really good quality of the coverage that you love it is not free, we have to pay to get people to the events.

"It is a question of degree and balance but also recognising that the way media is distributed is changing. It may well be that the next time around it is not Sky because Google has won the bid and we are all watching it live on the Internet."

BBC commentator and former F1 driver Martin Brundle said on Twitter that he was "not impressed" with the deal.

"BBC/Sky/F1 2012+. Found out last night, no idea how it will work yet I'm out of contract, will calmly work through options. Not impressed," he wrote.

Jonny
29th July 2011, 11:48
Maybe there should be a poll to see what people think. I know for one that I won't be paying Sky.

sagi58
29th July 2011, 11:56
I wonder how this will affect North American coverage on TSN or Speed?

Hornet
29th July 2011, 12:01
How the hell did it end up with BBC getting "some" live broadcast only, while another broadcaster gets full rights? This is just so weird.

Cavallino Rosso
29th July 2011, 12:17
Well, there is no way I'k lining the pockets of Mr Murdoch and his cronies.

Any one know if you can pick up F1 from anywhere on a Sat decoder? European video feed and 5Live on the stereo for next year then!

OldskoolF1
29th July 2011, 13:35
I have a full sky package but I'm still not happy with F1 moving away from the BBC. Sky will never match the show quality that the BBC currently delivers. Imo Rupert Murdoch should have been arrested the moment he set foot on british soil over the hacking scandal, why is he free to run around and mess with F1??

Alessandra
29th July 2011, 13:45
I'm wondering if the BBC coverage of the Olympics in 2012 has any bearing on this issue? From what we've heard so far the F1 deal is until 2018, but we all know exactly what confidence we can place in long-term contracts!

NanoTheQuickest
29th July 2011, 14:03
I have sky but I will never pay for sky sports, I dont follow any other sports! Motorsports is the only sport I like to watch and it would make very expensive to take one sky sports just to watch F1.

Bernie=:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap Time to retire oldman

Ken
29th July 2011, 14:25
It's not so bad if your a big watcher of TV and are happy to pay out monthly for SKY tv already, but the current financial situation in this country is squeezing people financially and times are tough, and I for one could not justify spending £360 plus a year purely to be able to watch F1 live.

Sadly I too in exactly the same position.

Now that Sky is the main holder of the of the event and BBC only showing 10 races (which 10 will they chose ) then sky will no doubt make it very difficult for the BBC to ever get the rights to full coverage in the future.

I feel very let down by our national TV network.

Hamish
29th July 2011, 14:34
I live in South Africa where we get the races on DSTV from what I can only assume is the BBC broadcast. Wonder how this will affect us. Does anyone here in SA know?

scuderiafan
29th July 2011, 14:44
:furious. it seems the gutless BBC has listened to the stupid greens.

damn you. i cant watch half the races now!!!!

steelstallions
29th July 2011, 16:22
SKY ITALIA did this for the World Cup as well. Half the games are free on RAI the others you need the expensive sports package to watch. So most of the population don't watch half the games.
F1 will be the same, i already pay the over rated SKY £50 a month for HD and films, I will not be paying the extra for sport as well.
F1 you have just turned your back on millions of viewers who will not pay for sky or upgrade existing packages for effectively one race a month!!!!

aj17ay
29th July 2011, 16:37
Bernie Ecclestone says Sky pay-to-view TV deal will grow F1's audience

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has promised that the sport's audience will grow with the onset of Sky's pay-to-view television deal from 2012.

A surprise deal was announced on Friday morning that the BBC and Sky Sports will share coverage of the sport in the UK from 2012 - with the satellite and cable broadcaster showing all live sessions while the BBC transmits only half on terrestrial digital television - prompting a wave of angry responses from license holders on internet forums and Twitter.

But Ecclestone, speaking after leaving a meeting to address the subject with F1's team principals, insisted that the deal is positive for the sport.

"It's good for Formula 1," he said. "For sure there are going to be a lot more people viewing, and a lot more opportunities for people to view, so from that point I'm very happy.

"I've been finalising this all night long and one or two things might change a little."

"Sky will broadcast everything, all the races, live. The Beeb will do 50 per cent live, and when it isn't live, they will be putting together a very good highlights package.

"They [BBC] may yet do the whole race deferred, we have to see."

Asked what he would say to fans who could not afford a Sky subscription, Ecclestone replied: "That's where the problem is, I know, but from what I understand Sky has enormous coverage, 10 million homes.

"For those who can't watch Sky, they can still watch on a Sunday night, which will probably be better than watching the whole race live half the time," he added.

Ecclestone added that the deal was not complicated by issues surrounding the current Concorde Agreement because the covenant comes to an end prior to the beginning of the Sky contract.

"The Concorde finishes in 2012," he said. "After then there may not be one, we don't need one. We'll see.

"But I think this is all positive, and having spoken to the teams, they think it's positive too."

Along with indicating that the deal was likely to mean more income for the teams, Ecclestone spoke about the general onset of pay-per-view television and how the media landscape affected F1 in the future.

"We do have to do the best we can, and I'm interested in getting the maximum coverage because we have to invest in the future for the good of the teams and for Formula 1," he said.

"I think in the end people will be more happy with this than they are at the moment."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93491

sagi58
29th July 2011, 16:56
Though I'm not sure how much faith you can put into online petitions, I've signed both of these:

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/keepf1onthebbc

http://www.petitiononline.co.uk/petition/stop-bbc-sky-f1-deal-bring-it-back-to-free-to-air/3291

Hornet
29th July 2011, 17:07
[B][SIZE="3"]

Asked what he would say to fans who could not afford a Sky subscription, Ecclestone replied: "That's where the problem is, I know, but from what I understand Sky has enormous coverage, 10 million homes.

"For those who can't watch Sky, they can still watch on a Sunday night, which will probably be better than watching the whole race live half the time," he added.

Ecclestone added that the deal was not complicated by issues surrounding the current Concorde Agreement because the covenant comes to an end prior to the beginning of the Sky contract.

"The Concorde finishes in 2012," he said. "After then there may not be one, we don't need one. We'll see.

What a load of rubbish spewing out of his mouth
Since when its ever better to watch a delayed sports even instead of live?:lol

Its all about money. I hope the teams and the track organizer will speak out against this. I think another Concord agreement would be better to ensure that Bernie and co. cannot simply make decisions based on money alone. I think its dangerous for the team to proceed without an agreement.

Schumyboy83
29th July 2011, 17:11
Though I'm not sure how much faith you can put into online petitions, I've signed both of these:

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/keepf1onthebbc

http://www.petitiononline.co.uk/petition/stop-bbc-sky-f1-deal-bring-it-back-to-free-to-air/3291

Thanks, Have added my name to.

sagi58
29th July 2011, 17:23
...Since when its ever better to watch a delayed sports even instead of live? :lol Seriously, eh? To listen to him, you'd think there was no reason for the existence of F1! :crazy

scuderiafan
29th July 2011, 17:51
What a load of rubbish spewing out of his mouth
Since when its ever better to watch a delayed sports even instead of live?:lol

Its all about money. I hope the teams and the track organizer will speak out against this. I think another Concord agreement would be better to ensure that Bernie and co. cannot simply make decisions based on money alone. I think its dangerous for the team to proceed without an agreement.

you can forget the teams mate.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93494

:roll i want Luca back as chairman.

epiclyaddicted
29th July 2011, 18:07
As infuriating as this is, I don't think it's fair to blame Bernie or the teams for this. The BBC's budgets have been cut quite massively for next year onwards, as much as 20% I think. As a result of that, they have had to make cuts all across, including making many of their staff redundant. Understandably, their F1 coverage was taking a significant portion of the budget, so rather than lose it completely, they tried to come up with the best solution they could.

Ben Gallop, the BBC's head of F1 explains this a bit more here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sporteditors/2011/07/f1_coverage_to_be_shared_betwe.html

It's not ideal of course, but given the challenging financial situation our economy is in, we could've had something much worse!

And also, BBC moving its offices out of Wood Lane (the famous Television Centre) into a new complex in Salford near Manchester is just part of the cost-cutting process unfortunately.

Rob
29th July 2011, 18:23
As infuriating as this is, I don't think it's fair to blame Bernie or the teams for this. The BBC's budgets have been cut quite massively for next year onwards, as much as 20% I think. As a result of that, they have had to make cuts all across, including making many of their staff redundant. Understandably, their F1 coverage was taking a significant portion of the budget, so rather than lose it completely, they tried to come up with the best solution they could.

Ben Gallop, the BBC's head of F1 explains this a bit more here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sporteditors/2011/07/f1_coverage_to_be_shared_betwe.html

It's not ideal of course, but given the challenging financial situation our economy is in, we could've had something much worse!

And also, BBC moving its offices out of Wood Lane (the famous Television Centre) into a new complex in Salford near Manchester is just part of the cost-cutting process unfortunately.

what about all those "big names" they have getting paid stupid money for just presenting Lotto or chat shows (Winton&Norton name but two. All the football pundits? how much they get? how many do they really need? And yes, the Olympics, i bet they get money thrown at them for broadcasting, tonnes and tonnes of pundits, presenters and hangers on!!! . Beeb, im sorry got this totally wrong.

Sure, Sky has made helped make the Prem League what it is today. Hope if Sky money F1 goes that way Bernie dishes out the revenues fairly to all teams and less go out of the sprt to CVC or any where else. Now i got add sky sports on my package, tight at moment. :-!:furious

scuderiafan
29th July 2011, 18:25
what about all those "big names" they have getting paid stupid money for just presenting Lotto or chat shows (Winton&Norton name but two. All the football pundits? how much they get? how many do they really need? And yes, the Olympics, i bet they get money thrown at them for broadcasting, tonnes and tonnes of pundits, presenters and hangers on!!! . Beeb, im sorry got this totally wrong.

Sure, Sky has made helped make the Prem League what it is today. Hope if Sky money F1 goes that way Bernie dishes out the revenues fairly to all teams and less go out of the sprt to CVC or any where else. Now i got add sky sports on my package, tight at moment. :-!:furious

:thumb they paid 20-30mil to get cheryl cole to do their xfactor. all you vcan do is laugh :haha: :haha:

Suzie
29th July 2011, 18:26
I feel like the BBC have sold out the fans, especially after all the fanfare of them GETTING the F1 coverage rights at the beginning of 2009. Sheesh, at least see out the contract.
I couldn't care less about the Olympics and I expect the BBC have thrown tons of cash at it to the detriment of other sports.

I have Sky but I don't have Sky Sports - it'll add about £20 onto my bill so that's over £60 a month I will be lining their pockets with. As much as I'd like to make a stand and not get it, I love F1 too much not to so I guess I will probably grit my teeth and pay for it. Like a lot of people it is going to make things tighter each month - I live on my own and am going to have to budget even more now.

Tbh though it's not the money that bugs me the most - BBC for all its faults has given us good coverage (despite EJ) for the most part these past few seasons, and I worry that Sky's tendency to sensationalise everything will lead to trashier coverage.

Rob
29th July 2011, 18:30
I feel like the BBC have sold out the fans, especially after all the fanfare of them GETTING the F1 coverage rights at the beginning of 2009. Sheesh, at least see out the contract.
I couldn't care less about the Olympics and I expect the BBC have thrown tons of cash at it to the detriment of other sports.

I have Sky but I don't have Sky Sports - it'll add about £20 onto my bill so that's over £60 a month I will be lining their pockets with. As much as I'd like to make a stand and not get it, I love F1 too much not to so I guess I will probably grit my teeth and pay for it. Like a lot of people it is going to make things tighter each month - I live on my own and am going to have to budget even more now.

Tbh though it's not the money that bugs me the most - BBC for all its faults has given us good coverage (despite EJ) for the most part these past few seasons, and I worry that Sky's tendency to sensationalise everything will lead to trashier coverage.

:thumb

i try think who they may get. I hope MB goes over to Sky, EJ, just for the laughs. Your right, Beeb has sold us F1 fans out. You imagine the up roar if they were to do this with Wimbledon? :roll Just isnt fair.

epiclyaddicted
29th July 2011, 18:39

I know mate, personally I couldn't give two hoots about the Olympics, but it's unreasonable to think that the BBC will sacrifice all other sports just for the sake of keeping F1 (no matter how prestigious the exclusive F1 contract is for BBC). And you bet they're spending tons of money for the Olympics coverage next year, but apart from the football World Cup, the Olympics is the only sport that draws more audiences than F1, and being the home broadcaster, again it's not unreasonable to expect them to try and cover that as best as possible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to defend Sky or BBC here, I'm just trying to be pragmatic with this.

The United States, the world's largest economy, potentially defaulting on its debts is just one example of what it's like out there at the moment. It's not just you and me who are finding it difficult. It's sad, but true. :-s

Alessandra
29th July 2011, 19:06
F1 is a sport that has image problems over fuel consumption in times of climate change, monumental salaries in a period of financial depression, dealings with potentates in undemocratic countries, a notion of 'glamour' that makes you wince/lol when you see it in the flesh, to name but a few.
So, in July 2011, what more admirable people could you find to whom to entrust the presentation of the sport across the world? Those media paragons of virtue, the Murdochs, of course.

Pure class , Bernie.

scuderiafan
29th July 2011, 19:34
F1 is a sport that has image problems over fuel consumption in times of climate change, monumental salaries in a period of financial depression, dealings with potentates in undemocratic countries, a notion of 'glamour' that makes you wince/lol when you see it in the flesh, to name but a few.
So, in July 2011, what more admirable people could you find to whom to entrust the presentation of the sport across the world? Those media paragons of virtue, the Murdochs, of course.

Pure class , Bernie.

yep :thumb

i simply cant afford it, no matter hoe much i love f1 and ferrari, i will have to make do with the highlights. :-(

Tony
29th July 2011, 19:55
I wonder how this will affect North American coverage on TSN or Speed?

Well TSN gets their feed from the BBC.... so sadly it will affect us also :( Speed has their own commentators at the least, I'm not sure if they provide their own live broadcasting but if they don't they could possibly switch to another free to air broadcaster for a fee and simply continue to provide their own commentary.... maybe TSN could then pay for their feed.... fingers crossed....

theforce
29th July 2011, 20:37
Anyone know what's the deal with the coverage in Australia, OneHD?

sagi58
29th July 2011, 20:41
...maybe TSN could then pay for their feed.... fingers crossed.... http://th165.photobucket.com/albums/u55/BJ_BOBBI_JO9/Smiley%20signs%20words%20and%20greetings/th_th23_29_107v.gif as are my arms, my legs and my eyes!!

Deedee
29th July 2011, 21:03
:-s:-sI'm very disappointed. After the ITV years, we had finally got BBC coverage with no adverts and Martin Brundle as lead commentator........I've got Sky - but it would be too expensive to add on Sky Sports as apart from F1 the only sport I watch is some tennis.

Suzie
29th July 2011, 22:05
.I've got Sky - but it would be too expensive to add on Sky Sports as apart from F1 the only sport I watch is some tennis.

I'm in the same boat. I have little to no interest in football and ZERO interest in golf or cricket.

Suzie
29th July 2011, 23:13
Over 3,000 comments on the BBC blog about this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sporteditors/2011/07/f1_coverage_to_be_shared_betwe.html

Cavallino Rosso
29th July 2011, 23:27
AS much as I hate to say it, I will not be watching F1 post 2011. Out of principle, I will not have Sky TV (even more so after News Internationals recent shenanegans). What is the point of watching delayed highlights? Every weekend trying to avoid the Radio/Twitter etc. Unless I can find a non subscription way to watch F1, I am 1 viewer less for F1.

Depressing.

(My missus is happy though, as now the lawn will be mowed on more sundays than at current:-D)

Suzie
29th July 2011, 23:36
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/07/new-details-of-co-operation-between-sky-and-bbc-emerge/

This evening I’ve managed to get a much clearer picture of how the new SKY/BBC TV deal in the UK is going to work and it’s not what many people think.

First the subject of what the BBC will show on the 10 weekends when SKY has the exclusive live rights. Although FOTA chairman Martin Whitmarsh says he has had assurances from Bernie Ecclestone today that the race will be shown in its entirety a few hours delayed on free to air, BBC sources say that this is not the case and that the show will be around 75 minutes, meaning extended highlights with brief introduction and post race analysis.

So either Whitmarsh is taking a leaf from Ecclestone’s book and spreading confusion, or he’s taking a negotiating stance, suggesting that the scenario he paints is what would be acceptable to the teams under the Concorde Agreement, which safeguards their interests against F1 going live on Free to Air TV exclusively.

There is more to come on this subject.

The BBC will show these extended highlights in a 5pm or 6pm slot on Sunday night, which is prime time TV, hence the assumption by Ecclestone that the casual viewer will be caught up and in this way the audience may grow.

The extent of the collaboration between BBC and Sky on the production of the coverage is also becoming clearer. The commentary will be shared between both programmes, but the presentation teams will be different. The BBC is likely to have limited presentation as they will want to get quickly into the race highlights action at the start of the show and then there will be some analysis afterwards.

However the on site facilities will be shared, so rather than having two trucks, they will share edit equipment and production facilities. This will mean a major saving for both sides.

This is what BBC F1 boss Ben Gallop means by “shared economy.”

So much for the BBC's 'Bring a friend to F1' campaign, eh?
Yeah - bring a friend to F1 and then have to explain to them that they can't watch anymore because Sky's too flippin' expensive.

Mrs.Domenicali
29th July 2011, 23:54
Personally I'd rather save the £600 plus required to get the SKY package (plus installation costs) and buy tickets to two grand prix. The rest I might as well watch down the pub it would be cheaper even with £20 for drinks - and it would save me £140 or whatever I pay for my overpriced and largely wasted tv license.

scuderiafan
30th July 2011, 07:17
Personally I'd rather save the £600 plus required to get the SKY package (plus installation costs) and buy tickets to two grand prix. The rest I might as well watch down the pub it would be cheaper even with £20 for drinks - and it would save me £140 or whatever I pay for my overpriced and largely wasted tv license.

your pub must be really nice guys and racing fans.

because around 1:00 on the sunday, the football would be on most of the time, and most pubs will put that on.

but if your pub puts on F1, then thats nice, and pretty lucky.

Mrs.Domenicali
30th July 2011, 07:23
Just to incense me further...I registered on the BBC blog and registered my displeasure and they have referred my comment for further consideration :furious I hope this means someone at the BBC is reading it. The more I think about it, the more livid I am. :furious

Sianellen
30th July 2011, 07:41
Gutted :-s Apparently Channel 4 offered the same amount of money to take the rights from the BBC but Bernie chose to let Sky take them.

Schumyboy83
30th July 2011, 07:53
Just to incense me further...I registered on the BBC blog and registered my displeasure and they have referred my comment for further consideration :furious I hope this means someone at the BBC is reading it. The more I think about it, the more livid I am. :furious

:thumb Nice one

Schumyboy83
30th July 2011, 07:54
Gutted :-s Apparently Channel 4 offered the same amount of money to take the rights from the BBC but Bernie chose to let Sky take them.

I would have rather they got it than sky :furious

Ste
30th July 2011, 08:04

Yes, but channel 4 would have been pants. There would have been adverts and a smaller budget. Sky will do it properly, we just have to pay for the privilege of it.

epiclyaddicted
30th July 2011, 08:04

Ooh, really?

Ste
30th July 2011, 08:05
I think the license should be and should have been looked at. £10 more per year is £0.83 per month. Hardly a big increase but that'd have paid for F1 on the BBC.

epiclyaddicted
30th July 2011, 08:07
Yes, but channel 4 would have been pants. There would have been adverts and a smaller budget. Sky will do it properly, we just have to pay for the privilege of it.

Yeah, that's a good point. At least Sky should put on a good show. I hope so anyway, given the exorbitant subscription fees!

epiclyaddicted
30th July 2011, 08:09
I think the license should be and should have been looked at. £10 more per year is £0.83 per month. Hardly a big increase but that'd have paid for F1 on the BBC.

Was it not that the licence fee was frozen for the next few years, and that the BBC is now getting a smaller proportion of it or something?

Ste
30th July 2011, 08:14
Was it not that the licence fee was frozen for the next few years, and that the BBC is now getting a smaller proportion of it or something?

I'm not aware of that mate, not sure of the details. That would have been a simple solution in my eyes though.

Other than Bernie dipping his hand in his pocket and paying for the BBC to keep it. He will earn more than their budget in interest alone every year.

Sianellen
30th July 2011, 08:15

I would have rather see it with adverts than only half the races. Not everyone can afford Sky. I imagine they will do a great job but it makes no difference if hardly anyone can watch it because of the cost. :-s

Mrs.Domenicali
30th July 2011, 08:18
From what I understand yes the TV license fee has been frozen for six years and the BBC decided to find 20% cost savings from their sports budget, so they have sacrificed F1 to keep Wimbledon (for 3 weeks of the year). :roll

Ste
30th July 2011, 08:19
I would have rather see it with adverts than only half the races. Not everyone can afford Sky. I imagine they will do a great job but it makes no difference if hardly anyone can watch it because of the cost. :-s

Yes but it for had the money to do it, you would be saying Sky would be better.

I can't afford £42 per month but I'm going to have to do it. They've forced every die hard fans hands. Either you pay, or you don't see it.

F1 will only lose the casual supporter in my view. Most die hard fans will bite the bullet and begrudgingly pay for it. Where there's a will, there's a way.

For example, with you at Uni, how many people share your accommodation? 5? That's 'only' £6.40 a month (non HD) each if they're up for chipping in.

Ste
30th July 2011, 08:20
From what I understand yes the TV license fee has been frozen for six years and the BBC decided to find 20% cost savings from their sports budget, so they have sacrificed F1 to keep Wimbledon (for 3 weeks of the year). :roll

Pfft. Un freeze it!!!! :-D

Mrs.Domenicali
30th July 2011, 08:20

Exactly Sian, alot of people in this country have either lost jobs, taken pay cuts and having to meet increased living costs as a result of the economic situation in this country....it is pretty hard to justify £50-60 a month for 1 TV program.

Ste
30th July 2011, 08:24
Exactly Sian, alot of people in this country have either lost jobs, taken pay cuts and having to meet increased living costs as a result of the economic situation in this country....it is pretty hard to justify £50-60 a month for 1 TV program.

Not quite that much, but still a lot - £32pm minimum.

Sianellen
30th July 2011, 08:25
Yes but it for had the money to do it, you would be saying Sky would be better.

I can't afford £42 per month but I'm going to have to do it. They've forced every die hard fans hands. Either you pay, or you don't see it.

F1 will only lose the casual supporter in my view. Most die hard fans will bite the bullet and begrudgingly pay for it. Where there's a will, there's a way.

For example, with you at Uni, how many people share your accommodation? 5? That's 'only' £6.40 a month (non HD) each if they're up for chipping in.

My Uni flatmates wouldn't even pay the tv licence or for their own food. :-s I havn't got that much a month to spend on it, I physically don't. At least there are plenty of sports bars where I live so I will try and find a way to see each race.

Ste
30th July 2011, 08:27
My Uni flatmates wouldn't even pay the tv licence or for their own food. :-s I havn't got that much a month to spend on it, I physically don't. At least there are plenty of sports bars where I live so I will try and find a way to see each race.

Talk nicely to Ant or Stu? :-D

Mrs.Domenicali
30th July 2011, 08:32
Not quite that much, but still a lot - £32pm minimum.

I don't have £32 spare a month Ste I have taken 3 pay cuts in 8 months to keep my job in the NHS, I live in one of the most expensive cities in the UK for renting. It is not just casual fans that will be lost by this, but longstanding fans and as someone who only watches F1 on TV, I do feel aggrieved that I already pay £145 for a TV license for alot of dross that I will never watch, yet the one thing I do watch is being partially axed.

Sianellen
30th July 2011, 08:35
Talk nicely to Ant or Stu? :-D

Hehe bribery :-P

TheProdigalSon
30th July 2011, 09:01
So basicaly we have to pay twice to watch the whole season, what trickery is this?

Suzie
30th July 2011, 09:13
I don't have £32 spare a month Ste I have taken 3 pay cuts in 8 months to keep my job in the NHS, I live in one of the most expensive cities in the UK for renting. It is not just casual fans that will be lost by this, but longstanding fans and as someone who only watches F1 on TV, I do feel aggrieved that I already pay £145 for a TV license for alot of dross that I will never watch, yet the one thing I do watch is being partially axed.

Agreed, even if you are a die-hard fan, it doesn't mean you will magically scrape the extra money up from somewhere every month. I've read comments online from people who have watched F1 for 40, 50 years, saying they won't get Sky. Deciding that you simply cannot afford to get Sky doesn't make you a casual fan. Times are hard and for a lot of people, F1 is now going to be an expense that they can't justify.

Ste
30th July 2011, 10:11
Agreed, even if you are a die-hard fan, it doesn't mean you will magically scrape the extra money up from somewhere every month. I've read comments online from people who have watched F1 for 40, 50 years, saying they won't get Sky. Deciding that you simply cannot afford to get Sky doesn't make you a casual fan. Times are hard and for a lot of people, F1 is now going to be an expense that they can't justify.

For the people who already have Sky, it's 'only' another £12 per month. So, £3 a week. 1 less beer a week and it's paid for. Maybe it's easier than I think, but I'd prioritise F1 over anything.

Suzie
30th July 2011, 10:22
For the people who already have Sky, it's 'only' another £12 per month. So, £3 a week. 1 less beer a week and it's paid for. Maybe it's easier than I think, but I'd prioritise F1 over anything.

Yeah but it depends on your lifestyle, doesn't it? There's many people I'm sure who have mortgages, bills to pay, kids etc - things that they HAVE to prioritise over F1 - and that £12 extra a month might just be a step too far. I'm not saying that £3 minimum a week isn't do-able - it is. But not everyone is as lucky as you or I to *find* it do-able.

Ste
30th July 2011, 10:23
Yeah but it depends on your lifestyle, doesn't it? There's many people I'm sure who have mortgages, bills to pay, kids etc - things that they HAVE to prioritise over F1 - and that £12 extra a month might just be a step too far. I'm not saying that £3 minimum a week isn't do-able - it is. But not everyone is as lucky as you or I to *find* it do-able.

No, I agree. It could make a huge difference to some people, but I always feel there is money to be saved in whatever you do.

I still think you'll get it :-D

Suzie
30th July 2011, 11:02
Yeah I will, as much as I will grumble about it. That's money I could be using for petrol though :-??
I feel sorry for the people who don't have Sky in the first place and are now faced with the choice of forking out for it or trying to watch F1 via other methods.

Mrs.Domenicali
30th July 2011, 11:31
Over 3,000 comments on the BBC blog about this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sporteditors/2011/07/f1_coverage_to_be_shared_betwe.html

Good to see so many F1 fans venting their feelings on this - 4000+ comments now :-)

sagi58
30th July 2011, 14:20
Here's another petition; this one targets woman who made the ultimate decision to cut F1 and spend more on Wimbledon!??

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/sackbarbaraslater

Brakefade
30th July 2011, 15:19
I have to pay $10 (6 GBP) extra a month, on top of my $60 (38 GBP) Satellite bill, just to watch F1.

There might be a third option for you guys though. Pay for a VPN server that will grant you access to another country that also streams it's race coverage like the BBC, and watch it that way. Some of these VPN services can be very cheap. I have a UK one and pay $55 a year. Plus I can pause it in between F1 races, and not get charged for those days; extending my renewal day every time I pause it. I think Spain streams the race coverage.

steelstallions
30th July 2011, 15:24

Or in other words around £12 a race as SKY will first be doing half the races, one a month. I would sooner buy a case of beer a month than give any more money to SKY.

REDARMYSOJA
30th July 2011, 15:57
I'm guessing we are going to have a lot of links to live streams.

Mrs.Domenicali
30th July 2011, 16:12
I'm guessing we are going to have a lot of links to live streams.

Alot of fans who are angry about the BBC/SKY deal have said they will not watch F1 after this year, whether that is said in the heat of the moment and whether they will go through with it remains to be seen.

Hornet
30th July 2011, 16:34
I think F1 may start to lose its fanbase if its not careful.

Its bad enough that the viewers got shafted by the new TV deal, they are also trying to cripple the car's performance all in the name of green.

If lets say they introduced new things that would make F1 even more exciting like bringing back V10 engine, ground effect, reviving classic tracks, these could all actually encourage fans to subscribe for F1.

But now the FIA are doing the opposite, even the track organizers are worried the fans will get turn off. Its a very bad time for Bernie to try something like this.

Ferrari_Fanatic
30th July 2011, 16:48
"Sky is doing an incredible job, but if you look at their audience they are nowhere. With these figures it would be almost impossible for teams to find sponsors. That would be suicidal." - Bernie Ecclestone,

Italian Spirit
30th July 2011, 18:16
I live in Switzerland, I have cable tv (*) and I can choose to watch F1:

1) in Italian: Rai1 or Rai2, Rai Sport (Italy), TSI1 or TSI2 (Swiss italian speaking TV)

2) in French: TSR, (Swiss french speakinkg TV), TF1 HD (french TV) , Eurosport french, La Deux (Belgian french speaking TV)

3) in German: SF1 or SF2 (Swiss German speakinkg TV), RTL and SkySport (Germany), ORF eins and Sky Sport (Austria)

4) in Spanish: La Sexta

5) in Portuguese: Sport TV

6) in English BBC (for the moment...)

And I only mention the languages I speak. Now, if you dont mind the comments, TV cable/TNT also let you choose the channels of Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Turkey. And I probably forget some.

So, what's your problem, British friends? Hasn't TV cable and TNT reached your island yet? :roll

(*) (The cable subscription cost is 30 (thirty), swiss francs per month. The price includes about 120 channels (and keep increasing) from all over Europe and beyond. I even have a chinese one :-D)

Mrs.Domenicali
30th July 2011, 18:28
I live in Switzerland, I have cable tv (*) and I can choose to watch F1:

1) in Italian: Rai1 or Rai2, Rai Sport (Italy), TSI1 or TSI2 (Swiss italian speaking TV)

2) in French: TSR, (Swiss french speakinkg TV), TF1 HD (french TV) , Eurosport french, La Deux (Belgian french speaking TV)

3) in German: SF1 or SF2 (Swiss German speakinkg TV), RTL and SkySport (Germany), ORF eins and Sky Sport (Austria)

4) in Spanish: La Sexta

5) in Portuguese: Sport TV

6) in English BBC (for the moment...)

And I only mention the languages I speak. Now, if you dont mind the comments, TV cable/TNT also let you choose the channels of Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Turkey. And I probably forget some.

So, what's your problem, British friends? Hasn't TV cable and TNT reached your island yet? :roll

(*) (The cable subscription cost is 30 (thirty), swiss francs per month. The price includes about 120 channels (and keep increasing) from all over Europe and beyond. I even have a chinese one :-D)

With all due respect alot of F1 fans cannot afford to pay an extra £40-50 a month for 1 tv program that is on once every two weeks, especially considering the UK is in economic recession, alot of people have lost jobs and the cost of living has gone up 20% in the last year. That is the problem. Some families are struggling to feed themselves and meet their bills, let alone fork out for an expensive tv subscription.

scuderiafan
30th July 2011, 18:42

i agree. i will have to find some streams now, or watch the highlights. all my family had Sky a couple years ago, so it wouldnt have been a problem then, but now all of my family memebers have cancelled it.

but one thing, will there be highlights after quali aswell as the race? if not thats pretty ****.

REDARMYSOJA
30th July 2011, 20:44
With all due respect alot of F1 fans cannot afford to pay an extra £40-50 a month for 1 tv program that is on once every two weeks, especially considering the UK is in economic recession, alot of people have lost jobs and the cost of living has gone up 20% in the last year. That is the problem. Some families are struggling to feed themselves and meet their bills, let alone fork out for an expensive tv subscription.

We have a three tier system here in the states, basic, expanded then the top rung. SPEED TV was on the top rung for a long time so I did without watching F1 for about 5 years. It wasn't until 2004 that SPEED was dropped to the second tier so I could then afford it. If I were in the UK I'd be in the same boat as a lot of the fans, just not wanting to fork out the extra dough for the channel. It's not so much I couldn't afford it, but in lean times you have to make tough choices. Many fans here in the states are very worried this will happen here.

Schumyboy83
30th July 2011, 22:03
The big problem with F1 is over the years its all about money and not what the fans want, This needs to change and the only way I see that happening is Benie stepping down along with FOM,

Hornet
31st July 2011, 04:07
The big problem with F1 is over the years its all about money and not what the fans want, This needs to change and the only way I see that happening is Benie stepping down along with FOM,

Exactly. Bernie has always been about who can pay the most into his pocket to get a place in F1. He doesn't care about reaching out to as many fans as possible. If sacrificing 50% of TV viewers would mean more money to him, he would do it in a heart beat.

Mrs.Domenicali
31st July 2011, 06:51
Exactly. Bernie has always been about who can pay the most into his pocket to get a place in F1. He doesn't care about reaching out to as many fans as possible. If sacrificing 50% of TV viewers would mean more money to him, he would do it in a heart beat.

Which he has evidently done and the BBC and FOTA have been complicit into the bargain. I think part of the reason why the response from fans has been vociferous has been that the BBC has gone around selling the deal like its the best thing since sliced bread. "Your going to have to pay for something we used to give you out of your tv license fee....now on top of you paying your license fee...your going to have to pay £500 a year for the same level of service...isn't that great?". While I appreciate times are tough and the BBC are citing financial cuts as the reason (not sure why they are making cuts when their annual budget next year is same as this....could it be the fact they are spending £900 million on moving to a new TV centre?) there was no consultation with the license paying public, they have just jumped into bed with SKY and have left the people who can't afford to pay with a sub-standard service. Even if half of the UK fans can afford to go and buy a SKY subcription at £39.75 a month plus installation fees...that still leaves approximately 3-4 million UK fans with a substandard service.

The reason why I'm particularly livid is if the costs of running the F1 show were shared out only amongst the F1 fans from their tv license it would be less than £10 a year per fan for the BBC to keep the full show. So that begs the question what the hell are the BBC wasting license payers money on if they can't afford to put on the full show.The BBC then chose to make a partnership with SKY to prevent any terrestrial channels from being able to take on the coverage - effectively removing any chance of FTA tv for the fans.

I would love to be able to afford SKY to continue watching F1, but I simply can't afford it and because of that I am supposed to be delighted that I will only be able to watch half of the season live, and the other half will be delayed but edited highlights. Now I don't know about anyone else but part of the excitement for me of the sport is cheering your team on live....a delayed transmission removes that excitement for you, once I know the result I'm less inclined to sit and watch the highlights unless there is something particularly contentious to watch.

Anyway enough of my ranting away :lol but this decision will more than likely ruin F1 for some fans, and there doesn't seem to be any concern from the teams etc about how this will effect their fanbase, so to me it feels like FOM, BBC and FOTA have basically sold us out for a quick dollar.

NJB13
31st July 2011, 07:11
Just a couple of questions:-
1) Do the BBC receive any revenue for the feeds that other countries receive, ie we get their feed over here in the Philippines on StarSports?
2) Do people in the UK have the option to watch F1 at a local bar/pub/lounge if you don't want to fork-out for pay-TV?

steelstallions
31st July 2011, 07:26
Just a couple of questions:-
1) Do the BBC receive any revenue for the feeds that other countries receive, ie we get their feed over here in the Philippines on StarSports?
2) Do people in the UK have the option to watch F1 at a local bar/pub/lounge if you don't want to fork-out for pay-TV?

Two hours in a bar to watch a race is not the answer for me. If I go with friends the TV will become secondary as most my friends have no interest in F1 and we never sit in the same bar for that long, we do the rounds like most people, plus where is the saving, £12 in a bar does not last long in the UK!
The alternative is to go alone in a bar for two hours, I don't think so.
Nope, lets set up a permanent thread with links to the best live feeds when SKY have the GP for that weekend.

NJB13
31st July 2011, 07:36
Two hours in a bar to watch a race is not the answer for me. If I go with friends the TV will become secondary as most my friends have no interest in F1 and we never sit in the same bar for that long, we do the rounds like most people, plus where is the saving, £12 in a bar does not last long in the UK!
The alternative is to go alone in a bar for two hours, I don't think so.
Nope, lets set up a permanent thread with links to the best live feeds when SKY have the GP for that weekend.

£12 doesn't go far! Wow, that would cover, for two people, a meal and 4 drinks each over here!

You need to sharpen up your choice of friends :-)

Greig
31st July 2011, 08:44
Think it's a massive mistake to spilt the coverage, all races at least should be live on the BBC and they should have let Sky have all races in HD and practice and qualifying. It's not so bad for some like myself if I did get Sky Sports because then I could watch loads of football as well as F1, but for the F1 fan that just wants to watch races then it's a terrible price to pay just to watch 9 or so F1 races, ideally Sky should offer a F1 season pass or something, so you can only watch F1 broadcasts for a fixed yearly fee rather than asking people to fork out every month, which might make it a little more affordable to those already with Sky.

Ste
31st July 2011, 09:00
Think it's a massive mistake to spilt the coverage, all races at least should be live on the BBC and they should have let Sky have all races in HD and practice and qualifying. It's not so bad for some like myself if I did get Sky Sports because then I could watch loads of football as well as F1, but for the F1 fan that just wants to watch races then it's a terrible price to pay just to watch 9 or so F1 races, ideally Sky should offer a F1 season pass or something, so you can only watch F1 broadcasts for a fixed yearly fee rather than asking people to fork out every month, which might make it a little more affordable to those already with Sky.

Totally agree with the F1 season pass idea. Still, they'd have to charge for the base setup which is still £19.50 excluding £10 for HD if you want it.

Like they've got the £12 sports pack, there should be a £2 F1 pack or something. £21.50 is a lot better than £32.

Cavallino Rosso
31st July 2011, 09:18
£12 doesn't go far! Wow, that would cover, for two people, a meal and 4 drinks each over here!

You'd be lucky to get 4 beers for £12 in th uk

Suzie
31st July 2011, 09:47

That would be ideal. Aside from motorsport there is not one thing on Sky Sports I would watch. I don't watch football, rugby, cricket or boxing and I most certainly don't watch golf as I see enough of Rory McIlroy's annoying face on local TV already thanks very much.

steelstallions
31st July 2011, 10:04

http://www.pintprice.com/region.php?/United%20Kingdom/

Average price of a Pint in the UK

Aberdeen £3.25 GBP
Airdrie £2.6 GBP
Aldershot £3 GBP
Altrincham £1.62 GBP
Ansty £3.5 GBP
Arbroath £2.92 GBP
Armagh £2.45 GBP
Aviemore £2.7 GBP
Aylesbury £3 GBP
Bagshot £3.6 GBP
Bailiwick Of Jersey £3.64 GBP
Balloo £3.2 GBP
Bangor £2.35 GBP
Barnsley £2.45 GBP
Basildon £2.96 GBP
Basingstoke £3.3 GBP
Bath £3.1 GBP
Bathgate £2 GBP
Beccles £2.6 GBP
Bedford £3 GBP
Belfast £3 GBP
Belper £3 GBP
Bewdley £2.8 GBP
Bexhill £3.2 GBP
Bexleyheath £2.85 GBP
Biddulph £2.85 GBP
Birmingham £2.57 GBP
Blackburn £2.65 GBP
Blackpool £2.3 GBP
Bolsover £2.6 GBP
Bolton £2.85 GBP
Bradford £2.7 GBP
Bridgend £1 GBP
Bridlington £1.89 GBP
Bridport £2.8 GBP
Brighton £3.3 GBP
Bristol £2.9 GBP
Burgess Hill £3.1 GBP
Burnley £2.22 GBP
Caernarfon £2.6 GBP
Caersws £2.4 GBP
Cambridge £3.5 GBP
Camden Town £3.5 GBP
Canley £3 GBP
Canterbury £3.4 GBP
Cardiff £2.35 GBP
Chatteris £2.75 GBP
Chelmsford £2.5 GBP
Cheltenham £3.1 GBP
Chester £3 GBP
Chester-le-Street £3.92 GBP
Chichester £2.7 GBP
Clacton-on-Sea £2.5 GBP
Clydebank £2.85 GBP
Cockermouth £3 GBP
Colchester £2.5 GBP
Coventry £2.5 GBP
Cranleigh £3.85 GBP
Crewe £2.7 GBP
Dartford £2.95 GBP
Dewsbury £2.15 GBP
Dorking £3.6 GBP
Douglas £2.75 GBP
Dumfries £2.05 GBP
Dundee £2.25 GBP
Dunfermline £3.1 GBP
Durham £1.95 GBP
Edinburgh £3.1 GBP
Elgin £2.4 GBP
Ellesmere £2.55 GBP
England £1.9 GBP
Epsom £3.4 GBP
Exeter £2.82 GBP
Falkirk £2.85 GBP
Faversham £2 GBP
Felixstowe £3 GBP
Finsbury Park £3.2 GBP
Fishponds £3.2 GBP
Gateshead £1.8 GBP
Glasgow £2.7 GBP
Glasson £2.35 GBP
Gloucester £3 GBP
Gosport £2.9 GBP
Greenford £3.25 GBP
Grimsby £2.3 GBP
Guildford £6.9 GBP
Hamilton £2.4 GBP
Harlow £3.3 GBP
Hartlepool £2.6 GBP
Hitchin £3.2 GBP
Holyhead £2.37 GBP
Horsham £3.3 GBP
Hounslow £3.55 GBP
Huddersfield £2.55 GBP
Hull £2.15 GBP
Ilford £2.2 GBP
Inverness £2.6 GBP
Isles Of Scilly £2.8 GBP
Kensington £4.2 GBP
Kingswood £3.33 GBP
Knutsford £2.34 GBP
Leeds £2.55 GBP
Leicester £2.78 GBP
Letchworth £2.89 GBP
Liverpool £2.5 GBP
London £3.5 GBP
Loughborough £2.95 GBP
Maesteg £2.3 GBP
Manchester £2.8 GBP
Mansfield £3.3 GBP
Mickle Trafford £1.9 GBP
Milton Keynes £2.9 GBP
Mirfield £3.05 GBP
Monifieth £2.95 GBP
Morecambe £2.85 GBP
Morpeth £1.75 GBP
Newark £2.75 GBP
Newbury £3.2 GBP
Newcastle Upon Tyne £2.21 GBP
Newport £2.6 GBP
Newry £2.8 GBP
Northallerton £2 GBP
Northampton £2.95 GBP
Norwich £3 GBP
Nottingham £2.85 GBP
Oakham £3 GBP
Oban £2.65 GBP
Oldham £2.5 GBP
Orkney £3 GBP
Ormskirk £2.5 GBP
Oxford £6.45 GBP
Paisley £2.6 GBP
Perth £2.35 GBP
Plymouth £2.55 GBP
Pogmoor £3 GBP
Port St Mary £3.25 GBP
Preston £2.25 GBP
Ramsgate £1.5 GBP
Reading £2.5 GBP
Redcar £1.75 GBP
Redhill £2.1 GBP
Rugby £2.9 GBP
Ruislip £3.2 GBP
Saffron Walden £3.2 GBP
Salisbury £3.2 GBP
Saltcoats £2.4 GBP
Sandy £2.9 GBP
Seaford £2.9 GBP
Seascale £2.6 GBP
Selby £2.55 GBP
Sheerness £3.2 GBP
Sheffield £2.35 GBP
Sheldon £2.9 GBP
Shetland £2.65 GBP
£2.2 GBP
Shrewsbury £2.9 GBP
Slough £2.02 GBP
Southampton £3.32 GBP
St Austell £8 GBP
St Blaise £3.5 GBP
St Neots £2.9 GBP
Stirling £3.06 GBP
Stoke-on-Trent £2.5 GBP
Stonehaven £2.94 GBP
Stourport-on-Severn £2.9 GBP
Surbiton £3.5 GBP
Swansea £2.6 GBP
Swindon £2.7 GBP
Tadcaster £1.6 GBP
Telford £1.76 GBP
Thornaby On Tees £1.95 GBP
Tillicoultry £2.6 GBP
Torbay £3.4 GBP
Truro £3 GBP
Tunbridge Wells £3.2 GBP
Wakefield £2.8 GBP
Wallasey £2.6 GBP
Walsall £3.5 GBP
Wandsworth £3.3 GBP
£5.9 GBP
Warrington £3.45 GBP
Watford £2.9 GBP
Weston-Super-Mare £3.25 GBP
Whaddon £5.1 GBP
Wick £2.4 GBP
Wigan £2.25 GBP
Winsford £2.55 GBP
Wolverhampton £3.1 GBP
Worcester £2.4 GBP
Worthing £3.3 GBP
Wrexham £3 GBP
Yaverland £3.2 GBP
York £4.25 GBP

My friends are not Celebrity's and we do not drink in VIP clubs, these are standard, run of the mill prices before you even order any food :Hmm

NJB13
31st July 2011, 10:08

Average price of a Pint in the UK

Aberdeen £3.25 GBP
Airdrie £2.6 GBP
Wrexham £3 GBP
Yaverland £3.2 GBP
York £4.25 GBP

That's before you order any food :Hmm

I think you and I should go and check a pint at every place on your list - in the interest of accuracy :-)

Suzie
31st July 2011, 10:23
Where on earth is Whaddon? £5.10 for a PINT?!

steelstallions
31st July 2011, 10:51
I think you and I should go and check a pint at every place on your list - in the interest of accuracy :-)

That sounds like a great idea!!! :-):wine

Ste
31st July 2011, 11:01
Where on earth is Whaddon? £5.10 for a PINT?!

Guildford £6.9 GBP

:-E

Cavallino Rosso
31st July 2011, 11:18

Please point me in the direction of the £2.35 pint in Cardiff. Local pub (in my village not the big lights of the 'Diff) cheapest is £2.60 a pint and that's for the local ale that has to travel a whole 2 miles doen the road. Your looking at £3.00 for a pint of cooking lager (Carling water) and £3.15 for a Guinness/Kronenberg/Cider.

The only place in town I cna think of with prices of £2.35 a pint is wetherspoons, great if you want to share the establishment with people who think it is acceptable to not leave their seat before urinating and are shaking that much they spill half their pint whil trying to drink it!

sagi58
31st July 2011, 14:26
...ideally Sky should offer a F1 season pass or something, so you can only watch F1 broadcasts for a fixed yearly fee... :bow Brilliant idea!! Who do we petition??
...lets set up a permanent thread with links to the best live feeds when SKY have the GP for that weekend...:bow Another brilliant idea!!
You'd be lucky to get 4 beers for £12 in th uk You can get three up here, in Toronto; but, at 8:00 in the a.m.?? I'll pass!! :cheers

Mrs.Domenicali
31st July 2011, 14:38
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93564

Sky/BBC deal 'saved free-to-air' F1 coverage in UK
By Jonathan Noble Sunday, July 31st 2011, 11:36 GMT

Williams chairman Adam Parr believes Bernie Ecclestone did the right thing in putting together that BBC/Sky shared broadcast deal for next year - because there was a risk of Formula 1 coverage being off free-to-air television entirely.

While British fans remain angry about the prospect of not being able to watch every race live on the BBC from 2012, Parr says that those unhappy about the move should actually be happy that Ecclestone has managed to keep at least some races on the channel.

Although sympathetic that fans will feel they are worse off in 2012, Parr says that they must take into consideration that they could have been even worse off if the Sky/BBC share deal had not come together.

"I can understand why a British fan who has had free non-advert coverage, amazing content, and brilliant presenters will be saying that anything else is going to be less good," explained Parr.

"I am sorry that the BBC could not carry on doing what they are doing, but they made that decision. I don't think that the fees being charged to the BBC are unreasonable compared to Wimbledon or any other major sports event.

"I am sympathetic, but to be fair the teams have not had any involvement in this. We don't negotiate these deals, but when Bernie briefed us as a group about this, the universal view was, okay we get it. We understand why you've done it. We see the benefits; we know where you are coming from - fair enough."

When asked by AUTOSPORT if there was a prospect that F1 could even have been off free-to-air television totally with the BBC unable to continue its current contract, Parr said: "I think that is true. I think Bernie put this deal together to ensure that the fans would have as much of what they have been enjoying as possible."

He added: "If you are Bernie, and you are looking at the situation where your current partner is stopping – what do you do? I think he has sat back and put together something which is the best that could be done under the circumstances."

Amid scepticism about claims that the Sky/BBC deal could actually boost viewing figures in the UK, as Ecclestone has argued, a number of sponsors have expressed private concern about the impact the deal could have on the sport's popularity in 2012.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh insisted, however, that he was not too worried about the situation.

"I don't think there are any [concerns] here. I think that is just speculation," he said when asked if he had any fears of dwindling sponsorship revenue because of smaller viewing figures.

"At the moment we have to do a careful analysis of it, but the view yesterday was that the viewership would increase as a consequence of the amount of time and coverage that F1 will present – because you have got BBC and Sky competing.

"You have got deferred coverage as well, and for a lot of grands prix it will frankly probably be better to have it in the UK a few hours later in any case.

"I think we have to be aware of that. It is important in the UK market that we have as much coverage as possible."

:roll Oh yes all us dedicated fans much prefer watching deferred coverage over live races :roll

BTW what happened to the concorde agreement and free to air tv coverage? I do believe ITV and Channel 4 were in the bidding and the BBC and Sky got into bed to prevent another channel taking the coverage.

Ste
31st July 2011, 15:54
BTW what happened to the concorde agreement and free to air tv coverage? I do believe ITV and Channel 4 were in the bidding and the BBC and Sky got into bed to prevent another channel taking the coverage.

I think the Concorde agreement said it had to remain on free to air TV. And it is. If it had gone completely, it would have been breached.

Mrs.Domenicali
31st July 2011, 17:46
I think the Concorde agreement said it had to remain on free to air TV. And it is. If it had gone completely, it would have been breached.

It doesn't mean it was the right thing to do or in the best interests of ALL the fans Ste. You may find it difficult to comprehend what the fuss is about because you can easily afford a SKY subcription, yet there are ALOT of fans who are not in that priviledged position and ALOT of them don't feel 10 live races and the rest deferred highlights is an adequate package considering the TV license fees they pay to the BBC. Yes it is better than no coverage at all, but what people are annoyed about is they have faithfully paid their TV licenses towards the cost of having live F1 on their TV and have been sold out by the BBC, Bernie and FOM when another Free-to-air package was turned down in favour of pay-to-view. Enjoy your SKY coverage :wave

Ste
31st July 2011, 17:58
It doesn't mean it was the right thing to do or in the best interests of ALL the fans Ste. You may find it difficult to comprehend what the fuss is about because you can easily afford a SKY subcription, yet there are ALOT of fans who are not in that priviledged position and ALOT of them don't feel 10 live races and the rest deferred highlights is an adequate package considering the TV license fees they pay to the BBC. Yes it is better than no coverage at all, but what people are annoyed about is they have faithfully paid their TV licenses towards the cost of having live F1 on their TV and have been sold out by the BBC, Bernie and FOM when another Free-to-air package was turned down in favour of pay-to-view. Enjoy your SKY coverage :wave

I think you replied to the wrong post?

You asked what happened to the concorde agreement, so I answered. I didn't realise I had mentioned anything else.

I don't know where you get the idea that I can 'easily afford' a Sky subscription. Fact is, I can't.

I hope you enjoyed your shouting and patronising post none the less.

Mrs Alonso
31st July 2011, 17:59

Ste didnt mention anything about the costs in his post. You asked about the concorde agreement,he answered.

Mrs.Domenicali
31st July 2011, 18:52
I think you replied to the wrong post?

You asked what happened to the concorde agreement, so I answered. I didn't realise I had mentioned anything else.

I don't know where you get the idea that I can 'easily afford' a Sky subscription. Fact is, I can't.

I hope you enjoyed your shouting and patronising post none the less.

Sorry where was I shouting? - I was emphasizing that the deal with SKY and BBC was not in the interest of all fans, I don't think by putting ALL in capitals means I was shouting at you. I don't think this deal is a good deal for the fans I really don't and I'm not just including myself in that situation. I got the impression that you would find it easy to pay for SKY subscription from your comment that most people could find the money to pay for it if they really wanted. That simply isn't the case for alot of people and it doesn't mean they are casual fans or don't care about the sport if they can't find the money to do it. Which was the impression you gave earlier in the thread if I remember correctly. By the way it wasn't my intention to be patronising so I apologise if that is how the post came across. I am just very annoyed about this whole subject and perhaps that came across as being at you in my post.

As for Hayley - sorry I wasn't aware I was discussing the subject with you. :-)

Suzie
31st July 2011, 19:01
I think money is just a very emotive subject and this is one of the contributing factors of why there HAS been such a furore over this deal.

Ferrarichamp
31st July 2011, 19:01
Just wondering, what's the situation in Ireland?

Suzie
31st July 2011, 19:03
Just wondering, what's the situation in Ireland?

I'm not sure what channel shows F1 in the Republic of Ireland - I think RTE used to show F1 in the 1990s.

Ferrarichamp
31st July 2011, 19:06
well if it stays on free-to-air in Rep. of Ireland, can UK residents view it that way?

Mrs.Domenicali
31st July 2011, 19:07
I think money is just a very emotive subject and this is one of the contributing factors of why there HAS been such a furore over this deal.

Your not wrong Suzie, in effect the deal is creating a two-tier system for the fans, those who can afford and those who cannot. What concerns me is where does it end? it may start out be 10 grand prixs live and the rest deferred, but given that the BBC has already backed out on their contract to AIR the whole season until 2013, what is to stop them from giving up the rights completely and F1 in the UK becoming completely pay-to-view once the concorde agreement expires?

Suzie
31st July 2011, 19:08
well if it stays on free-to-air in Rep. of Ireland, can UK residents view it that way?

Just checked and it's shown on Setanta Ireland. No idea how to get that in the UK.

REDARMYSOJA
31st July 2011, 19:15
Just checked and it's shown on Setanta Ireland. No idea how to get that in the UK.

Your not wrong Suzie, in effect the deal is creating a two-tier system for the fans, those who can afford and those who cannot. What concerns me is where does it end? it may start out be 10 grand prixs live and the rest deferred, but given that the BBC has already backed out on their contract to AIR the whole season until 2013, what is to stop them from giving up the rights completely and F1 in the UK becoming completely pay-to-view once the concorde agreement expires?

Welcome to the world of an F1 fan in the US. We already have to pay extra to get SPEED, and four races a year are shown tape delay. Plus they are chopped to pieces by commercials. That's why I'm such a fan of streaming. Sometimes FOM starts shutting down the BBC streams so I've watched everything from an Irish stream feed, to Polish, Italian and even Chinese, or what I think was Chinese.

Mrs Alonso
31st July 2011, 19:58

Sorry,silly me thought you were discussing it on a public forum!

Mrs.Domenicali
31st July 2011, 20:00
Sorry,silly me thought you were discussing it on a public forum!

And where in the thread were you discussing the subject at hand? :Hmm

Mrs Alonso
31st July 2011, 20:05
Ok here is my two penneth....

I think the announcement has put a lot of people in a very difficult position but there is always a way. My first concerns were for what presentation/commentary teams we will get rather than costs and I am by no means loaded. Not getting Sky did not even enter my head as an option.

I definitely think it is a case of priorities,and for me F1 comes right after the essentials. I would rather do without something else so I can afford to watch on Sky.

Sianellen
31st July 2011, 20:21
Ok here is my two penneth....

I think the announcement has put a lot of people in a very difficult position but there is always a way. My first concerns were for what presentation/commentary teams we will get rather than costs and I am by no means loaded. Not getting Sky did not even enter my head as an option.

I definitely think it is a case of priorities,and for me F1 comes right after the essentials. I would rather do without something else so I can afford to watch on Sky.

For me my money only just covers the essentials, I don't physically have anymore money. :-s I will watch what is available for me to on the BBC and try and get to sports bars to see the rest. I hope that doesn't make me less of a fan. :-s

Ste
31st July 2011, 20:22
Sorry where was I shouting? - I was emphasizing that the deal with SKY and BBC was not in the interest of all fans, I don't think by putting ALL in capitals means I was shouting at you. I don't think this deal is a good deal for the fans I really don't and I'm not just including myself in that situation. I got the impression that you would find it easy to pay for SKY subscription from your comment that most people could find the money to pay for it if they really wanted. That simply isn't the case for alot of people and it doesn't mean they are casual fans or don't care about the sport if they can't find the money to do it. Which was the impression you gave earlier in the thread if I remember correctly. By the way it wasn't my intention to be patronising so I apologise if that is how the post came across. I am just very annoyed about this whole subject and perhaps that came across as being at you in my post.

Writing things in capital letters tends to convey shouting. Being a moderator, I kind of expected you to know that. Especially because you've told people off for it in the past.

I still think you missed the point of my post - I wasn't even discussing the deal - just the Concorde agreement that you asked about.

So, how do you even have the front to ask Hayley where she was discussing the topic when you had completely disregarded my post in your reply? Pot kettle black, Miss Moderator.

Mrs Alonso
31st July 2011, 20:24
For me my money only just covers the essentials, I don't physically have anymore money. :-s I will watch what is available for me to on the BBC and try and get to sports bars to see the rest. I hope that doesn't make me less of a fan.

I didnt say you were less of a fan. Or anyone else. I was talking about myself personally. Maybe you can sweettalk your parents into getting Sky and just conveniently pay a visit home on race weekends?

Mrs.Domenicali
31st July 2011, 20:29
Writing things in capital letters tends to convey shouting. Being a moderator, I kind of expected you to know that. Especially because you've told people off for it in the past.

I still think you missed the point of my post - I wasn't even discussing the deal - just the Concorde agreement that you asked about.

So, how do you even have the front to ask Hayley where she was discussing the topic when you had completely disregarded my post in your reply? Pot kettle black, Miss Moderator.

Pot Kettle indeed Ste :lol :lol :lol

Sianellen
31st July 2011, 20:31
I didnt say you were less of a fan. Or anyone else. I was talking about myself personally. Maybe you can sweettalk your parents into getting Sky and just conveniently pay a visit home on race weekends?

no worries :-) I'm just gutted about my situation with it really. My dad wouldn't do it on principle.

Ste
Pot Kettle indeed Ste :lol :lol :lol

I'm glad you agree. :-)

Ste
no worries :-) I'm just gutted about my situation with it really. My dad wouldn't do it on principle.

Same with my dad

Mrs.Domenicali
31st July 2011, 20:41
I'm glad you agree. :-)

I admitted and apologised that my post came across as patronising even if that was not the intention, perhaps sometimes sunshine you need to have a hard long look in the mirror and admit your not Mr.Perfect.

Ste
31st July 2011, 20:58
I admitted and apologised that my post came across as patronising even if that was not the intention, perhaps sometimes sunshine you need to have a hard long look in the mirror and admit your not Mr.Perfect.

Or maybe you could make fewer assumptions? You're either very bad at reading people or you just like to make things up to make your posts sound better. We know the latter is true regardless of whether it's true this this instance.

I don't think I'm perfect by any means, I just have strong opinions. Again, you never replied to my post which answered your original question.

How you became a moderator is beyond me. Your attitude to many users here is shocking.

Suzie
31st July 2011, 21:00
Right okay can we all please just go outside and get some fresh air or something?

1) Not wanting to get Sky either because of money or because of the money-grabbing, 'phone-hacking Murdochs doesn't make anyone any less of a fan.
2) With the economy the way it is, lots of folk can't put F1 high up on their list of priorities. Real life is sadly more important than a sport, at the end of the day.
3) This whole thing SUCKS.
4) No matter what, I still hate EJ :-D

Sianellen
31st July 2011, 21:03
Right okay can we all please just go outside and get some fresh air or something?

1) Not wanting to get Sky either because of money or because of the money-grabbing, 'phone-hacking Murdochs doesn't make anyone any less of a fan.
2) With the economy the way it is, lots of folk can't put F1 high up on their list of priorities. Real life is sadly more important than a sport, at the end of the day.
3) This whole thing SUCKS.
4) No matter what, I still hate EJ :-D

5) Forza Ferrari :-D

Tifosi
31st July 2011, 21:04
Digital coverage of F1 was rubbish when Bernie tried it last time and he lost a tonne of cash in the process. If he's happy to lose lots of viewers of sponsors logos on the cars of the team in his sport then he's made the right decision by allowing coverage in the UK to be marginalised. Doesn't mean that the races covered by Sky will be done well this time either and it doesn't mean that "die hard F1 fans" - as the cliche has it - have to be mugs or nodding dogs.

I already have Sky but they can whistle for £12 a month for the odd race. I personally dont think that makes me a crap F1 supporter. Just one with perspective who has the ability to go to a pub with Sky sports if the inclination takes me and also the ability to not be forced into a crap deal so that people wont think im not a "die-hard F1 fan" by doing anything they say I have to to follow my favourite sport.

The Beeb finally got it right and F1 is more popular in Britain than it has been for years yet bernie is happy to lose a substantial part of that audience? It doesn't make much sense really does it? :roll

Mrs.Domenicali
31st July 2011, 21:05
Or maybe you could make fewer assumptions? You're either very bad at reading people or you just like to make things up to make your posts sound better. We know the latter is true regardless of whether it's true this this instance.

I don't think I'm perfect by any means, I just have strong opinions. Again, you never replied to my post which answered your original question.

How you became a moderator is beyond me. Your attitude to many users here is shocking.

I am quite happy for Greig to remove me as a moderator, if he thinks its in the best interests of the forum. Would you like my moderators job perchance? :-)

Suzie
31st July 2011, 21:06
It's just really sad. We all like laughing at, and moaning about the same coverage, and I'm going to miss that if everyone is watching different coverage :-s

Ste
31st July 2011, 21:07
I am quite happy for Greig to remove me as a moderator, if he thinks its in the best interests of the forum. Would you like my moderators job perchance? :-)

No thanks.

Sianellen
31st July 2011, 21:10
It's just really sad. We all like laughing at, and moaning about the same coverage, and I'm going to miss that if everyone is watching different coverage :-s

What I hate the most is its one of those things that just makes life feel a little less fun. :-s

Mrs Alonso
31st July 2011, 21:10
The Beeb finally got it right and F1 is more popular in Britain than it has been for years yet bernie is happy to lose a substantial part of that audience? It doesn't make much sense really does it? :roll

I personally feel that if Bernie was a serious as he made out about wanting to keep F1 on free tv,he should have made a contribution to helping the BBC pay for it once he'd explored other avenues (channel 4,5 etc.) and found they were a no go.

It's not the BBC's fault they cannot afford the price but I dont feel part coverage is an acceptable compromise,whilst Bernie seems to think it is!

Greig
31st July 2011, 21:13
Digital coverage of F1 was rubbish when Bernie tried it last time and he lost a tonne of cash in the process. If he's happy to lose lots of viewers of sponsors logos on the cars of the team in his sport then he's made the right decision by allowing coverage in the UK to be marginalised. Doesn't mean that the races covered by Sky will be done well this time either and it doesn't mean that "die hard F1 fans" - as the cliche has it - have to be mugs or nodding dogs.

Don't agree with that, last time Sky had F1 it was years ahead of what ITV was offering, with live practice included as well as ad free races and a much better presentation and race build up as well as plenty of viewing options such as choose your in-car camera etc, yeah they lost a lot of money because they never got the viewers but they certainly were not lacking in what they offered IMO.

I can imagine Sky will deliver a very good F1 package this time around as well, but the viewers once again will probably not be there.

Tifosi
31st July 2011, 21:14
I personally feel that if Bernie was a serious as he made out about wanting to keep F1 on free tv,he should have made a contribution to helping the BBC pay for it once he'd explored other avenues (channel 4,5 etc.) and found they were a no go.

It's not the BBC's fault they cannot afford the price but I dont feel part coverage is an acceptable compromise,whilst Bernie seems to think it is!

Yeah. Bernie could make it happen if he wanted to. i really don't understand him sometimes. :-??

As regards part coverage, it will lose them more viewers imo than if it were on channel 4 or whatever. Its messy and people wont pay. simple. Bernie knows that too.

Mrs Alonso
31st July 2011, 21:15
Don't agree with that, last time Sky had F1 it was years ahead of what ITV was offering, with live practice included as well as ad free races and a much better presentation and race build up as well as plenty of viewing options such as choose your in-car camera etc, yeah they lost a lot of money because they never got the viewers but they certainly were not lacking in what they offered IMO.

I can imagine Sky will deliver a very good F1 package this time around as well, but the viewers once again will probably not be there.

Couldnt afford it then. I was only 16! lol

Tifosi
31st July 2011, 21:16

Maybe im being unfair. I remember it as disappointing and stilted but maybe thats cos i was paying through the nose for it at the time :-D

Suzie
31st July 2011, 21:17
I liked the guy on the forum who shouted "We don't want Sky!" at Jake today. (This was shortly after EJ was being pervy towards 2 women in the Macca garage).

Mrs.Domenicali
31st July 2011, 21:21
No thanks.

Come on Ste :-) smile we are both strong minded opinionated people - it is inevitable we will have disagreements at times and I am never wrong (joke). I do sincerely apologise for being patronising in my post earlier - it wasn't intentional I was just very angry (and still am) at the situation F1 fans currently find themselves in. Now it's your turn :-)

Ste
31st July 2011, 21:31
Come on Ste :-) smile we are both strong minded opinionated people - it is inevitable we will have disagreements at times and I am never wrong (joke). I do sincerely apologise for being patronising in my post earlier - it wasn't intentional I was just very angry (and still am) at the situation F1 fans currently find themselves in. Now it's your turn :-)

Sorry I've done enough apologising to you in the past. I've got nothing to apologise for.

Take it up with another moderator if you're bothered.

scuderiafan
31st July 2011, 21:49
I do think that sky will do a good job, but I think that the BBC will gradually get less and less coverage, and sky will get the monopoly.

and IMO, the lest the BBC could do is see ou their contract, which they were crowing about all through 2009.

Mrs Alonso
31st July 2011, 21:56
I don't think it's a case of the BBC wanting to end the contract early. They simply can't afford it anymore. Like everyone keeps saying, times are hard.

Schumyboy83
1st August 2011, 06:58
I don't think it's a case of the BBC wanting to end the contract early. They simply can't afford it anymore. Like everyone keeps saying, times are hard.

But then scrap antiques road show and songs of praise. :lol

Suzie
1st August 2011, 07:10
...and talent shows, and Doctor Who/Torchwood which are over-rated rubbish, and dreadful sitcoms like My Family which is the worst thing I have ever had the misfortune to see, and anything with James Corden.

Ste
1st August 2011, 08:14
...and talent shows, and Doctor Who/Torchwood which are over-rated rubbish, and dreadful sitcoms like My Family which is the worst thing I have ever had the misfortune to see, and anything with James Corden.

I knew you'd get that in there somewhere! :lol

Fiondella
1st August 2011, 08:47
Bernie Ecclestone says Sky pay-to-view TV deal will grow F1's audience

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has promised that the sport's audience will grow with the onset of Sky's pay-to-view television deal from 2012.

A surprise deal was announced on Friday morning that the BBC and Sky Sports will share coverage of the sport in the UK from 2012 - with the satellite and cable broadcaster showing all live sessions while the BBC transmits only half on terrestrial digital television - prompting a wave of angry responses from license holders on internet forums and Twitter.

But Ecclestone, speaking after leaving a meeting to address the subject with F1's team principals, insisted that the deal is positive for the sport.

"It's good for Formula 1," he said. "For sure there are going to be a lot more people viewing, and a lot more opportunities for people to view, so from that point I'm very happy.

"I've been finalising this all night long and one or two things might change a little."

"Sky will broadcast everything, all the races, live. The Beeb will do 50 per cent live, and when it isn't live, they will be putting together a very good highlights package.

"They [BBC] may yet do the whole race deferred, we have to see."

"But I think this is all positive, and having spoken to the teams, they think it's positive too."

Along with indicating that the deal was likely to mean more income for the teams, Ecclestone spoke about the general onset of pay-per-view television and how the media landscape affected F1 in the future.

"We do have to do the best we can, and I'm interested in getting the maximum coverage because we have to invest in the future for the good of the teams and for Formula 1," he said.

"I think in the end people will be more happy with this than they are at the moment."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93491

This smacks of the average F1 fan having to pay for the Slavica having taken what amounts to the shirt off Bernie's back.

How he thinks this move will grow the F1 audience is beyond me. IMHO this is definately a retrograde step for F1 popularity especially with children from deprived backgrounds. The timing of this stinks as well in light of the Murdoch scandal

Fiondella
1st August 2011, 08:54

Yep, thats why their taking they're operations to Salford. If they'd asked I could have rented them my shed instead! :lol

Quite a shocker really considering the move from ITV. This is like giving us Magnums instead of choc ices for a while and then telling actually we've just realised that magnums are too expensive and deciding to offer us tesco value ice-cream instead!

Suzie
1st August 2011, 09:50
I knew you'd get that in there somewhere! :lol

I hate him more than I hate EJ. That's a lot.

Fiondella
1st August 2011, 11:26

I already have Sky but they can whistle for £12 a month for the odd race. I personally dont think that makes me a crap F1 supporter. Just one with perspective who has the ability to go to a pub with Sky sports if the inclination takes me and also the ability to not be forced into a crap deal so that people wont think im not a "die-hard F1 fan" by doing anything they say I have to to follow my favourite sport.

Great post :thumb
My sentiments entirely

Greig
1st August 2011, 11:30
the problem with the pub idea is that BBC will probably not be showing the 5am etc races so not much pubs open at that time on a Sunday morning

sagi58
1st August 2011, 11:48
... not much pubs open at that time on a Sunday morning
Luckily I have a sports bar that's open 24/7 just around the corner (well, almost!!)... :clap
Still, I'm hoping that between TSN, SPEED-TV and live streaming, I've got the race pretty well covered!

scuderiafan
1st August 2011, 12:34

yet they can afford this, and i will guarantee that this will fail, as everyone will watch the itv one. :doh

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2004929/The-Voice-confirmed-air-BBC-One-X-Factor.html

sagi58
1st August 2011, 12:43
yet they can afford this, and i will guarantee that this will fail, as everyone will watch the itv one. :doh And... I'm sure they've put a little on the side to cover the Olympics, no? :angel

scuderiafan
1st August 2011, 12:48
And... I'm sure they've put a little on the side to cover the Olympics, no? :angel

but the olympics is the worlds biggest sporting event.

that is yet another godforsaken talent show, that we have to put up with brats, and celeb wannabees, just to watch them become nobodies again.

sagi58
1st August 2011, 12:49
but the olympics is the worlds biggest sporting event... True enough; but, it's also a huge drain on the networks, governments, local infrastructures, etc...

Fiondella
1st August 2011, 12:49
And... I'm sure they've put a little on the side to cover the Olympics, no? :angel

Oh yes I'm sure we'll all be happy at the prospect of watching Usain Bolt winning the 100m final coutesy of the beeb when trackside spectators will be paying around £20/sec or more for the privilege once the touts have done their worst!

Ree
1st August 2011, 12:51
I have watched F1 on TV (for free) as long as I can remember. When I first heard this news my initial reaction was just to get Sky Sports next year and be done with it but having had a chance to think about it I have decided that I'm not going to. I refuse to line Sky and Bernie's pockets and would much rather put the money that I save towards going to a couple of races.

I shall make do with live radio coverage and highlights instead :-)

Fiondella
1st August 2011, 12:57
I have watched F1 on TV (for free) as long as I can remember. When I first heard this news my initial reaction was just to get Sky Sports next year and be done with it but having had a chance to think about it I have decided that I'm not going to. I refuse to line Sky and Bernie's pockets and would much rather put the money that I save towards going to a couple of races.

hear hear

NJB13
1st August 2011, 13:54
Does anyone know if
the BBC receive any revenue for the feeds that other countries receive with bbc commentary, ie we get their feed over here in the Philippines on StarSports?

Tony
1st August 2011, 13:59
Yes, to use the BBC feed on another non-BBC network would entail a fee.... they make revenue off of it....

sagi58
1st August 2011, 14:01
That would make cents!! http://goemaw.com/forum/Smileys/goEMAW/smiley_emoticons_my2cents.gif

:angel

Suzie
1st August 2011, 17:15

I'm starting to think that way too. I am thinking very tentatively about going to Monaco next year and if I got Sky Sports that'd be £200 gone that I could be putting away for it.
If I thought it would be easy to get an online stream every race I wouldn't bother getting it, and you can always find post-race driver interviews on YouTube if you missed that aspect of the coverage.

Julie B
1st August 2011, 18:01
I totally don't agree with what's happened but as I'm sure most people will (well those who already have Sky) I will resign myself to the fact that I'll have to subscribe if I want to watch the sport I love.

What I can't understand is why they keep banging on about keeping the tennis (and I really like watching Wimbledon!). They are willing to get rid of a sport that brings in many viewers on a Saturday and Sunday for something that is only on for 2 weeks a year. And moreover something that is on when most people are at work Monday to Friday. I'd love to know what the viewing figures are during these times ???

Mrs Alonso
1st August 2011, 18:19
I totally don't agree with what's happened but as I'm sure most people will (well those who already have Sky) I will resign myself to the fact that I'll have to subscribe if I want to watch the sport I love.

What I can't understand is why they keep banging on about keeping the tennis (and I really like watching Wimbledon!). They are willing to get rid of a sport that brings in many viewers on a Saturday and Sunday for something that is only on for 2 weeks a year. And moreover something that is on when most people are at work Monday to Friday. I'd love to know what the viewing figures are during these times ???

Couldn't have put it better myself Julie.

With regards to those who were saying about the new talent show. I agree it will be total garbage but unfortunately,this is the sort of thing people buy into these days (The Only Way Is Essex for example) and if the BBC think they can have a big prime time hit and get people paying money on phone in votes they will.

Yes,we all love F1 and rightly feel very hard done to but there are more viewers that dont watch F1 than do, that obviously the Beeb need to consider.

sagi58
1st August 2011, 18:29
Barbara Slater Has Killed Off F1 In The UK. She Must Go
BBc director of sport Barbara Slater said "The news means the BBC now has more money to spend on flagship events such as Wimbedon"
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!
She has betrayed all the F1 Fans, not only in this country, but also others who use the BBC commentary feed. Why? So that she can spend
more on Wimbledon & of course the huge amount that she will be spending on 2 week long jamboree next summer when the Olympics come
to London.
She is completely out of touch with the Licence Payers who want more than just football, cricket & tennis.

She needs to go!! Now while the ink is still wet.

Here's the link for the petition, if you'd like to "sign" it:
http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/sackbarbaraslater

(http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/sackbarbaraslater)

Greig
1st August 2011, 18:49
has a online petition ever worked?

Suzie
1st August 2011, 19:19
has a online petition ever worked?

Yes! There was that one that..

Oh.

sagi58
1st August 2011, 20:00
has a online petition ever worked? Has it ever hurt? ;-)

OldskoolF1
1st August 2011, 20:45
Murdoch failed to acquire BSkyB so now he is just going to buy it bit by bit until he owns it all anyway, starting with F1

siberianlady
1st August 2011, 21:15
Yes! There was that one that..

The only petition I know of that did work was the pressure one to get Alonso out of McLaren........but that was worked on by an international team over a long time and not a knee jerk reaction type petition.

Oh.

steelstallions
1st August 2011, 21:36
Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Alonso View Post

The deal could have gone to Channel 4 who offered the same money as SKY. It does not take a conspiracy theorist to work out why Bernie went with SKY instead of a free for view channel like Channel 4. Greedy B....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sporteditors/2011/07/f1_coverage_to_be_shared_betwe.html

Greig
1st August 2011, 21:48
If C4 offered the same money then how is it down to greed? where is the info on what Sky has paid and what C4 offered?

Suzie
1st August 2011, 22:04
If C4 had gotten it, we'd all be moaning about adverts anyway. (Would have been free though).

RockyRaccoon
1st August 2011, 22:25
I guess this means some of my student loan is going to have to go on multiroom and sports pack for Sky coz my Dad sure won't pay it!!

Suzie
1st August 2011, 22:32
I guess this means some of my student loan is going to have to go on multiroom and sports pack for Sky coz my Dad sure won't pay it!!

We can get Setanta in NI - not sure how much it'd be in comparison to Sky Sports but it's always an option. At the moment they seem to show F1 with the Brundle/DC commentary so obviously I don't know if they will have F1 coverage next year either :-??

steelstallions
2nd August 2011, 07:44
If C4 offered the same money then how is it down to greed? where is the info on what Sky has paid and what C4 offered?

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sky-full-formula-1-coverage-201108011327.htm

Ecclestone has moved swiftly to reassure Formula 1 fans that whilst the BBC did a great job with Formula One, the coverage on Sky is set be even better. He expects BSkyB’s broadcasting to attract a wider audience because the company is so experienced in delivering this type of content. This is something that Ecclestone took into consideration when he opted for Sky over Channel 4 who also bidded the same amount for full F1 coverage rights.

I very much doubt Ecclestone cares what the coverage is like so long as he gets more money from the deal eventually. There are very few free for view world sports events. Once SKY have swallowed up F1, he knows they have the money to pay him year after year. He could not risk Channel 4 going the way of ITV. He might get short of cash!!!

steelstallions
2nd August 2011, 07:54
If C4 had gotten it, we'd all be moaning about adverts anyway. (Would have been free though).

I only ever moaned about adverts on ITV because ITV were clueless when showing them. I have watched F1 abroad and the adverts are instant, timed to less dramatic parts of the race and also had adverts at the base of the screen so you can still see the race. You got the impression that they controlled the adverts to the race.
ITV were a joke, they had a set time for adverts regardless that you just saw a massive amount of smoke come out of MS's car in the penultimate race of 2006 for example. The adverts lasted 4+ minutes with an intro advert for F1 before the main adverts (FFS like i didn't know what i was watching) then when the DAZ and COLA adverts ended an intro F1 advert. The length and timing of adverts coupled with the amount of action we lost, was why we moaned.
Channel 4 could have adopted a more intelligent way of showing adverts you noticed instead of hated.

racingbradley
2nd August 2011, 09:05
yet they can afford this, and i will guarantee that this will fail, as everyone will watch the itv one. :doh
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2004929/The-Voice-confirmed-air-BBC-One-X-Factor.html

This sort of trite gets the audience I am afraid which F1 doesn't. :-s
I find it hard to understand why so few people are interested in F1 since Britain is after all the home of motorsport!!! :-E

sv_godspeed
2nd August 2011, 09:14
well, i live in France and have no option really. TF1 (kinda like the French BBC i guess) decided to stop telecasting qualifying this year - no idea why and since i'm not very French-media savvy, i didnt realise this until i tuned in and watched some cartoons for 15 min before furiously searching for an online live feed.

i, for one, wouldnt mind paying for F1 but apparently, even that isnt an option here. anyone else here live in France and knows something i dont?

racingbradley
2nd August 2011, 09:19
I only ever moaned about adverts on ITV because ITV were clueless when showing them. I have watched F1 abroad and the adverts are instant, timed to less dramatic parts of the race and also had adverts at the base of the screen so you can still see the race. You got the impression that they controlled the adverts to the race.

If C4 had adopted F1 I would have forgiven them for the adverts---time to make a cup of tea or pour something stronger. ;-);-) Admittedly something crucial may have happened in the race just then!!!!
It would have been so much better than having to pay for sky sport when I only need it to watch F1. :-(
Every other sport that I want to watch is on the terrestial channels. :-)

Ferrarichamp
2nd August 2011, 09:22
well, i live in France and have no option really. TF1 (kinda like the French BBC i guess) decided to stop telecasting qualifying this year - no idea why and since i'm not very French-media savvy, i didnt realise this until i tuned in and watched some cartoons for 15 min before furiously searching for an online live feed.

i, for one, wouldnt mind paying for F1 but apparently, even that isnt an option here. anyone else here live in France and knows something i dont?

In Brittany my dad gets freesat, so when I'm there I watch the race on BBC. I think quite a few Brits on the continent get Freesat, you may need a slightly larger dish depending on where u are. The good thing is there's no licence fee to pay. As for next year, I guess the easiest thing will simply be to find a feed on the net, I guess there will be quite a few feeds cropping up.

Greig
2nd August 2011, 09:27
I will be waiting to see what races the BBC are going to show free, if they are not showing the early morning races then I can probably survive with a re-run or highlights of them and just avoid the internet till it is shown rather than getting Sky Sports to watch them live.

sv_godspeed
2nd August 2011, 09:33
thanks, Ferrarichamp! will do...

AVockins
2nd August 2011, 09:43
Don't know if this would help anyone or if F1 will be available but Sky will soon be doing a Sky Monthly Ticket where you can watch Sky tv over the internet without needing a contract. Not sure if they will show the F1 though as they say they cannot show everything due to licensing and so some programs will be blacked out but it may be worth investigating. http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/sky-go/get-it-now/

puto.havana
2nd August 2011, 13:04
Yeah this could be a way to go - but I bet Bernie/Sky puts the kybosh on this so as to ensure that people sign up to the full package.

I am still not sure what I will be doing. I have Virgin cable already at home and getting Sky Sports would be relatively easy albeit extremely expensive - so was contemplating that. But yesterday a mate of mine - who has the full Sky Sports package as he is a big footy fan but also enjoys watching the GPs - has already given me an open invite for the races next season, plus on top of that my in-laws (well not legally but to all intents and purposes!) have the full pack the theirs, so I reckon I should be able to wangle it for next season.

Not trying to rub it in to those who will have no access at all - just saying that I am going to have to go to some length to avoid paying.

Greig
2nd August 2011, 14:50
If anyone has parents or a friend with the Sky Sports package then you can use their account details to register on Sky Player (which I guess is this rebranded Sky Go now) and watch live tv online, just another option that might help out some fans get it cheaper :-)

Ree
2nd August 2011, 14:59
If anyone has parents or a friend with the Sky Sports package then you can use their account details to register on Sky Player (which I guess is this rebranded Sky Go now) and watch live tv online, just another option that might help out some fans get it cheaper :-)

So does that mean I can use someone elses account details to watch it via xbox ?

I just feel uncomfortable about the whole thing tbh. As F1 fans I feel we have been sold down the river and unless people make a stand and refuse to tune into Sky we will probably end up not having any free-to-air coverage once the concorde agreement runs out :-( That said I don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face and miss out !!!

Greig
2nd August 2011, 15:03
Yeah you can Maria, I used my dad's Sky details to watch football via the Xbox, works pretty well too :-)

epiclyaddicted
2nd August 2011, 15:05
So does that mean I can use someone elses account details to watch it via xbox ?

Yes, if someone you know has Sky Sports, you can register a particular device with their account, i.e. your pc or your Xbox to watch it online.

Ree
2nd August 2011, 15:12
Yeah you can Maria, I used my dad's Sky details to watch football via the Xbox, works pretty well too :-)

OK... I know a couple of people who have Sky Sports, I'll have to do a bit of sweet talking lol

Suzie
2nd August 2011, 17:14
Oh that's dead handy. If I do get Sky Sports and let's face it I probably will, at least I will be able to help someone else out.

OldskoolF1
2nd August 2011, 19:10
You can register 1 x Xbox and 3 x PC's on a sky account

Rob
2nd August 2011, 19:11
was going to bite the bullet and add the package at weekend. But, my in-law said that it Sky may bring out a deal end of year or even start next year for the Grand Prixs. So, im just go sit tight for bit see what they night bring out later in year or begining of next year.

Greig
2nd August 2011, 19:18
You can register 1 x Xbox and 3 x PC's on a sky account

I think only 1 PC can be the main one and get all the content like Sky Sports and you can only change the main PC once a month IIRC

Suzie
2nd August 2011, 19:21
was going to bite the bullet and add the package at weekend. But, my in-law said that it Sky may bring out a deal end of year or even start next year for the Grand Prixs. So, im just go sit tight for bit see what they night bring out later in year or begining of next year.

No point adding it now, I'm waiting until the last possible moment!

OldskoolF1
2nd August 2011, 19:27
I think only 1 PC can be the main one and get all the content like Sky Sports and you can only change the main PC once a month IIRC

A friend of mine uses my account to watch the football on sky sports and it works fine for him. Works fine on my pc too. I had to un-register my xbox so that my son can use Skyplayer on his xbox to watch tv in his bedroom

Rob
2nd August 2011, 19:27
No point adding it now, I'm waiting until the last possible moment!

:thumb same here Suzie. Looked on there see what else may interest me watching, but nothing!!! Dont like Golf (ruins good walk) cricket :-ZZ football aint started yet but only, only if may think be good watch, i will watch the big games. England, Italy, Champions League final. But usually get bored of watching it after 10-15 minutes. Rugby aint bad. Will watch sometimes. Lot of action and hard tackling.

scuderiafan
2nd August 2011, 19:54
:thumb same here Suzie. Looked on there see what else may interest me watching, but nothing!!! Dont like Golf (ruins good walk) cricket :-ZZ football aint started yet but only, only if may think be good watch, i will watch the big games. England, Italy, Champions League final. But usually get bored of watching it after 10-15 minutes. Rugby aint bad. Will watch sometimes. Lot of action and hard tackling.

im afraid thats on ESPN, mate. but you can watch the biggest superfight of the year, in Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather, if it happens. :thumb

RockyRaccoon
3rd August 2011, 10:26
We can get Setanta in NI - not sure how much it'd be in comparison to Sky Sports but it's always an option. At the moment they seem to show F1 with the Brundle/DC commentary so obviously I don't know if they will have F1 coverage next year either :-??

I looked into that before and as far as I'm aware the F1 coverage is blocked much like the football is blocked on RTE. I could be wrong so I'll def be looking into that.

Rob
3rd August 2011, 12:23
im afraid thats on ESPN, mate. but you can watch the biggest superfight of the year, in Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather, if it happens. :thumb

boxing have not watched since the 90s. Tyson, Benn and fighters like that. ESPN? Typical :lol

Ferrari Man
3rd August 2011, 19:16
We may start a poll on what we think should be the races shown in full on the bbc...(obviously can't say them all)_

Ophidian786
4th August 2011, 02:11
Aren't there phoney websites that show the races live anyways?

Fiondella
4th August 2011, 09:04
Come back ITV all is forgiven!

Alessandra
4th August 2011, 11:52
I will be waiting to see what races the BBC are going to show free, if they are not showing the early morning races then I can probably survive with a re-run or highlights of them and just avoid the internet till it is shown rather than getting Sky Sports to watch them live.

I agree this is the way to go. But sadly we don't have, so far as I know, a really definite agreement that the BBC is even going to be able to show the whole race. Whitemarsh said it had been agreed with BE but later showed some hesitancy about it. FOTA has to pull together on this one, not just take the money and dump the fans.

Overall my problem is not that the BBC has let us all down badly over F1, which it has, but that the all-powerful Murdochs are, yet again, getting their grasping hands on a great sport and I will not be watching races on their channel, no matter what. It's not just a sporting matter , it's much bigger than that.:furious

Ste
4th August 2011, 23:33
This is the official petition to keep F1 on the BBC. If it gets 100,000 signatures, it will be raised in parliament.

Pass this on, sign in, share it, tweet it, FB it. Everything it.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/57

RED
5th August 2011, 10:04

So........ what's the code? :munch

Rob
5th August 2011, 12:18
This is the official petition to keep F1 on the BBC. If it gets 100,000 signatures, it will be raised in parliament.

cheers Ste, just done it.

sagi58
5th August 2011, 14:58
cheers Ste, just done it. Me, too!!
(Yes, I'm Canadian; but, I'm also a citizen of the Commonwealth!;-))

RockyRaccoon
5th August 2011, 15:49
I've put it on Facebook and Twitter...all my friends better sign it!!

Suzie
5th August 2011, 18:14

Ditto this.

Ste
5th August 2011, 18:46
The petition has gone up 5000 signatures since yesterday. Not bad.

Will be at 100,000 in 15 days or so if that continues.

schumi1
5th August 2011, 21:07
We need to be happy that the bbc still has f1 they are still showing half the season live.
And if they show the full race in the evening of weekends when they don't have live coverage it
should be okay. I just hope brundle stays.

redsteph
5th August 2011, 21:09
Ditto this.

yep me too.

RED
5th August 2011, 22:46
I just hope brundle stays.

Unfortunately it seems he's already signed with Sky.

Ste
6th August 2011, 07:27
Unfortunately it seems he's already signed with Sky.

One commentary team for BBC and Sky anyway so we will have his commentary regardless. :-)

sagi58
9th August 2011, 02:11
The petition has gone up 5000 signatures since [August 5, 2011 (14:46)]...
Update:
Number of signatures: 13,945
Keep circulating it: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/57

Ophidian786
9th August 2011, 02:56
I can't believe we haven't got above 50k signs already. :(

sagi58
9th August 2011, 02:59
Maybe the "real" tragedies people are facing right now, globally, including the
riots in London and the reality of the U.S. economy have taken centre stage?

NJB13
9th August 2011, 06:22
Update:
Number of signatures: 13,945
Keep circulating it: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/57

With a low number of signatures, a petition like this might actually have a reverse effect.

Ste
9th August 2011, 06:56
With a low number of signatures, a petition like this might actually have a reverse effect.

I don't see how. 14k people have still signed.

It remains difficult for people to sign this sort of thing. You can just stumble over it. You need to be part of some kind of social media or forums. A lot of viewers won't be.

Ste
10th August 2011, 19:51
Check this out...

Seems like F1 on Channel 4 would have been pretty decent.

Click Me (http://www.graphicalhouse.co.uk/#/projects/channel-4)