PDA

View Full Version : Come Silverstone, can we see the Ferraris rise again?

rocks.ral
28th June 2012, 10:16
The temperatures and humidity levels are gonna be completely opposite to that of Valencia and Alonso was fast there last year and ultimately won.. Can we do it again or r we again looking at the rear of the Red Bulls?

F2002
28th June 2012, 10:43
Like on many other occasions this season, it is very difficult to predict the outcome of the next race, and whether Alonso will be competitive in relation to his main rivals.

Two considerations:

First, we cannot consider last year as a benchmark, because if you remember, they had put on hold (or, at least limited the extent of) the off-throttle blown diffuser, which sort of gave the Ferrari an opportunity to compete at par with the Red Bull.

Second, judging by LDM's latest comments, they are expecting some difficult races ahead. Vettel was very quick in race trim in Valencia, and this could be a bit of a worry.

I have fond memories of last year's race, which I had the opportunity to watch from the Paddock, and where we celebrated Alonso's only race win!

Greig
28th June 2012, 11:11
Hope so, because I am going :-D last year was just great so a repeat will be prefect :-D

Suzie
28th June 2012, 11:25
I think this season has shown (particularly after Valencia) that a win is possible anywhere, under any kind of circumstances.

Hornet
28th June 2012, 12:05
So far the comments from the team hasn't been that encouraging.

But I expect at least a podium from Alonso. Hope for the best, but prepare for the not-so-best :-G

sav_pap
28th June 2012, 12:24
My crystal ball needs a service.
In this mad season everything can happen.
Honestly, I don't believe that anyone can predict the winner.
:wave

Alessandra
28th June 2012, 12:48
Having looked at the long-range weather forecast it seems the divine intervention this time may take the form of rain for race day!

I’m particularly put out about this because although it will be a joy to be there :-D our stand isn’t covered :-s.

I’m sure someone can tell me…both Vettel’s and Grosjean's cars stopped due to alternator failure. What’s the significance of this regarding car reliability and do we have any reason to feel encouraged by these two DNFs?

I remember one of the commentators a few years ago saying that although Adrian Newey designed brilliant cars reliability wasn’t always guaranteed. He seemed to have curbed that problem in 2010 & 2011 but could we see a return to that issue this year for RBR?

sav_pap
28th June 2012, 13:02
although Adrian Newey designed brilliant cars reliability wasn’t always guaranteed. He seemed to have curbed that problem in 2010 & 2011 but could we see a return to that issue this year for RBR?

I hope yes...

Nova
28th June 2012, 13:47
I prefer a dry race..always like to watch Silverstone...different part of the world, different conditions..

Jas
28th June 2012, 14:46
Having looked at the long-range weather forecast it seems the divine intervention this time may take the form of rain for race day!

I’m particularly put out about this because although it will be a joy to be there :-D our stand isn’t covered :-s.

I’m sure someone can tell me…both Vettel’s and Grosjean's cars stopped due to alternator failure. What’s the significance of this regarding car reliability and do we have any reason to feel encouraged by these two DNFs?

I remember one of the commentators a few years ago saying that although Adrian Newey designed brilliant cars reliability wasn’t always guaranteed. He seemed to have curbed that problem in 2010 & 2011 but could we see a return to that issue this year for RBR?

just been confirmed it was as a result of overheating, not because of the safety car, they hope to change the batch of alternators or go back to the 2011 one and in the fuure implement changes to it!

ferrari4life
28th June 2012, 15:37
can we?... sure..
will we?...hmmm...
I still think the Bulls have an ace up the sleeve.. I will hope for some more luck

Alessandra
28th June 2012, 18:57
just been confirmed it was as a result of overheating, not because of the safety car, they hope to change the batch of alternators or go back to the 2011 one and in the fuure implement changes to it!

Thanks.

Is that both RBR & Lotus?

Liscia
28th June 2012, 19:49
Bad batch of alternators is what I read too but Renault Factory at Viry has still to confirm. Could it
also be that not enough cooling air added to the fault? Article also said Safety Car HELPED Vettel
as his alternator would have failed SOONER at race speeds/temperatures.

bonzo
28th June 2012, 21:38
BOSCH alternators tend to fail in extreme hot weather, 38*+. Happened twice on my car, as well. High temp increases electrical resistance and any bad connection or grounding lead to less or no current being supplied to the battery.

Jose Lorca
28th June 2012, 23:56
We can definitely win Silverstone. Red Bull were dominant in Valencia, but NOT in the high speed section (http://i49.tinypic.com/153v7s7.png) of the track. This is Alonso's Q2 vs Vettel's Q3 from Valencia:

http://i50.tinypic.com/bezvy1.png

http://i49.tinypic.com/2hd8j8z.png

http://i45.tinypic.com/24gu8gg.png

Bearing in mind that Vettel had better track conditions on his lap, and we have a big update for Silverstone, I don't think we should be too concerned.

Stormsearcher
29th June 2012, 05:55
So far the comments from the team hasn't been that encouraging.

But I expect at least a podium from Alonso. Hope for the best, but prepare for the not-so-best :-G

IMO the team is any trying to control excess euphoric expectations post the miracle of Valencia. With a good showing in Canada and the win in valencia, its natural for the fans to expect to be fighting for the win again, and should that not happen, the team will receive a lot of flak.
However, vettels pace was scary and if that was not track specific, we are in big trouble unless we find some more pace with the upgrades coming up in siliverstone.

Brakefade
29th June 2012, 10:55
As long as we can finish on the podium we'll be alright, for now. We still have to get our own new EBD working as good or better than the Bovines.

FerrariF60
29th June 2012, 11:49
As long as we can finish on the podium we'll be alright, for now. We still have to get our own new EBD working as good or better than the Bovines.

...big LOL at that comment; couldn't have put it any better myself
like others have said, i hope that the pace the screaming school girl had in valencia was a ONE OFF, and we'll be more closer to them in Silverstone given the somewhat big update we'll be bringing.

we have to remember that this year winning the WDC is NOT just about pure performance or being fastest, it's also about good race pace, reliability, driver skill, TIRES understanding, strategy, pit stops and last but not least, LUCK.

so far we have seem to have understood majority of the ones mentioned (with the exception of raw speed in quali, we still need to work on that), and if we can keep that same momentum for the remainder of the season while still working VERY hard to bring more valuable performance, i think FERNANDO has a really good chance at WDC....

here's a Forza Ferrari and a good season sprinkled with LOTS AND LOTS OF LUCK for our beloved TEAM!!!

sav_pap
29th June 2012, 13:18
...fortune favors the strong!!!!!!

Infi24r
2nd July 2012, 02:36
IMO the team is any trying to control excess euphoric expectations post the miracle of Valencia. With a good showing in Canada and the win in valencia, its natural for the fans to expect to be fighting for the win again, and should that not happen, the team will receive a lot of flak.
However, vettels pace was scary and if that was not track specific, we are in big trouble unless we find some more pace with the upgrades coming up in siliverstone.

I agree. It keeps happening but.

Even in races that Alonso hasn't been winning, he has been fighting for wins. He pushed Maldonado home at Spain.

Dino
2nd July 2012, 12:46
Two considerations:

First, we cannot consider last year as a benchmark, because if you remember, they had put on hold (or, at least limited the extent of) the off-throttle blown diffuser, which sort of gave the Ferrari an opportunity to compete at par with the Red Bull.

Second, judging by LDM's latest comments, they are expecting some difficult races ahead. Vettel was very quick in race trim in Valencia, and this could be a bit of a worry.

Luca DM is right to be worried!
1. Vettel 0.324 ahead of everybody on saturday's Pole.
2. A whole 19 seconds ahead of Grosjean by lap 27 during the race.[Nearly half way of the 57 laps]
3. The odd familiar sound of the Red Bull on corner entry.
All this could not have been a one off!!
Let's hope that Silverstone's winding high speed corners will not give Red Bull the same advantage and Ferrari can improve the car with their latest upgrades.
Rain on Friday and Saturday could really spoil our testing programme.

Nick Singer
2nd July 2012, 15:15
IMHO, if RB have found some serious extra pace, a wet/ mixed weekend might be just what we need.....?

Hornet
2nd July 2012, 15:50
I've had enough of Red Bull's bulletproof dominance last season.

Would be very disappointing if we see the same crap again this year and we can't do anything to defend the WDC :-(

Ferrari_Fanatic
2nd July 2012, 16:53
Rain forcast for free practice (friday) good old British weather :-P

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2637827

SashAlex
2nd July 2012, 19:52
I actually believe that our chances are very very good for the British GP. In Valencia the car still struggled in the slow corners with low traction and we know this car is at its best in fast corners and RBR is vice a versa, that's how I explain the qualifying struggle. Yeah, both Fernando and Felipe had one extra fresh soft compound, but still in the race we were on par with at least the McLarens and Lotuses, and this was in Valencia, which had a bunch of slow corners. In Silverstone I believe the Ferraris will be much closer in Q and right up there fighting for podium positions in the race. Idealy, we could win this GP. Realisticaly, strong points with at least Fernando on the podium.

Jose-Lorca Fan
2nd July 2012, 20:05
Preferably, Ferrari want to enter the summer break leading the WDC. I can see Ferrari being strong at Silverstone especially if weather condition are cooler than Valencia. Hopefully a strong finish at Silverstone will help ease the difficulties we may face at Budapest and Hungaroring where i believe it will be difficult for us to score major points.

Dino
2nd July 2012, 20:16
IMHO, if RB have found some serious extra pace, a wet/ mixed weekend might be just what we need.....?

Red Bull only need to set the car up for the race.
Ferrari [and Mclaren] need to test new upgrades.
Testing on a wet track is not very ideal!!
Totally agree with SashAlex ''Our car is at its best in fast corners and RBR is vice a versa''

FrankAlfa
2nd July 2012, 20:28
Certainly Ferrari have a very good chance at Silverstone. Ferrari have a "big" package to apply to the race car at Silverstone and hopefully it can be enough to respond to Red Bull's big step forweard at the Valencia race. One must not count McLaren or Lotus/Renault who have beenvery strong inall of the races. I think there should be some close review of the Red Bull race car to see if they are in fact Blowing the Diffuser with engine throttle control. That is a banned item and it is obviously up to the other teams question the legality of the Red Bull Race Car! The FIA will do nothing unless someone files a complaint which only goes to show what a very poor representation of what the Sport, the FIA is doing!

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

sav_pap
3rd July 2012, 07:19
The FIA will do nothing unless someone files a complaint which only goes to show what a very poor representation of what the Sport, the FIA is doing!

Exactly!
Charlie's new girlfriend (Heidi) is well protected and her promoter (Andrian) has all the support to well cover his cheating stuff in and under the "drinks car".

Alessandra
3rd July 2012, 10:49
I've had enough of Red Bull's bulletproof dominance last season.

Would be very disappointing if we see the same crap again this year and we can't do anything to defend the WDC :-(

+1, only make that dominance over 2 years:-s

I think we're probably good for a podium at Silverstone.:-)