PDA

View Full Version : Lauda furious with Ecclestone, Montezemolo for F1 criticism

vcs316
13th April 2014, 08:11
Niki Lauda says Bernie Ecclestone and Luca di Montezemolo were wrong to so openly criticise Formula 1's new rules, because they risked destroying the sport.

Although a thrilling Bahrain Grand Prix has served to silence those doubting the new turbo regulations, Lauda is still angry about the approach taken in the build-up to the race.

The Mercedes non-executive chairman thinks it 'stupid' that leading figures were so willing to speak out against F1, and likened it to a movie director slating his own film before the release date.

"If Ron Howard would have said, 'I am making a 'Rush' movie, and I can tell you guys that this is the worst movie I ever made', then this is what was happening to Formula 1," said Lauda in an exclusive interview with AUTOSPORT.

"If he had said it before the movie came out, then nobody would have gone to see it.

"So what we are doing now, because of these different influences, is destroying our own sport."

He added: "I think it all started in Australia because the organisers complained about the noise level, and Bernie has complained from day one about the noise.

"Then it got its own dynamics and di Montezemolo came in and said there is not enough fuel.

"Out of this momentum everyone threw their own trouble in, and I have never seen such a stupid approach to a problem.

"How can you do that? I am talking as a normal person, I am not talking as someone from Mercedes. It is ridiculous."

CRITICISMS WILL NOW DIE DOWN

Lauda took part in meetings with the FIA, Ecclestone and team representatives in Bahrain to discuss the problems with the new rules.

And he is hopeful that with a consensus to try to improve the noise and placate concerns of F1's race promoters, the anti-rules spin will soon come to a halt.

"If we would stop this ourselves, then it will go right away," he said. "The noise issue will stay, because fans always hear the noise, but the rest will disappear.

"And it should never have come to this point now where we destroy our own sport. That was my biggest concern."

He also thinks it outrageous that rival teams were lobbying for rule change discussions against the backdrop of Mercedes having been dominant at the start of the season.

"I do not care who wins, but it is extremely unfair now if everyone moans and bitches because the first races were won by Mercedes," he said.

"Red Bull and [Sebastian] Vettel bored everybody over the last half of the season by winning nine races, and nobody said anything. That is unfair.

"Thank god, I can only say, that after last year's Red Bull dominance that there is somebody else now. That is the best you can do to a sport, so leave it alone."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113400

Hermann
13th April 2014, 11:30
Article forgot to add *stomping his foot*

The Architect
13th April 2014, 12:36
I find it amusing to think the Bahrain GP has silenced any doubts about the new regulations. A safety car that close to the end would have resulted in the same jostling for position in any season. The regulations contributed nothing to that, but the broadcasters would have you believe this season will be unmissable. Nonsense.

Alessandra
13th April 2014, 13:49
I find it amusing to think the Bahrain GP has silenced any doubts about the new regulations. A safety car that close to the end would have resulted in the same jostling for position in any season. The regulations contributed nothing to that, but the broadcasters would have you believe this season will be unmissable. Nonsense.

It's a fair point. We shall see what we shall see, the season's still young.

AfterLife
13th April 2014, 13:53
Every team speak for their own benefit. Lauda is no exceptional. Well done to Mercedes that end RedBull dominance. It was vital to see non RedBull winner in this season.

Edit: Well done to Renault too.

steelstallions
13th April 2014, 14:57
Lauda is Mercedes ***** so will say anything to defend them. This season is the worst one I can remember as I no longer have the strength to defend a dying sport. The viewing figures are going down by the millions, check out my threads on here. That alone has nothing to do with Bernie's comments or Luca's as they are said after the event not before. The sport is no longer attracting new viewers and certainly not young viewers and the older ones are watching more for a whiff of the years gone by than seeing young drones playing computer games with cars that have to be nursed for tires, engine and fuel to the end of the race. The only time in the past a racing driver nursed a car to the end was because it was failing but not broke down. That type of nursing was thrilling as you didn't know how long they would last before the car gave up and when they did finish you heralded their commitment.

Rob
13th April 2014, 15:32

:clap

+1

Hornet
13th April 2014, 15:41
Can't say I like this at all. Sure it's not Red Bull now, but when you look at the gap Merc opened to the rest in just the first 15 laps, it was worse than anything we've seen in the past 4 years. At the least in past years, Red Bull isn't bulletproof everywhere. This year I fear Merc may win at all races without exception.

Kiwi Nick
13th April 2014, 15:45
If Lauda's point is that it is more than a bit ironic that people who agreed to the new formula when it was written 3 years ago are now complaining that is ruining the sport...I agree.

However, if he is trying to say that the new formula has made the sport better or more competitive, then he is full of !

SilverSpeed
13th April 2014, 19:44
:munch zzz.

abbottcostello
13th April 2014, 23:25
Thank you for the tip-off Niki, I can save my money now by not watching 'Rush'.:rotfl:rotfl

ferrari4life
14th April 2014, 02:28

1 or 2 races that excite do not make a racing series.. Its just like how everyone gets so excited about Monaco which shouldn't even be called a race.
Formula 1 is a farse.

vcs316
17th April 2014, 06:52
'Taxi driver’ claim not honest – Lauda

Apr.17 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Niki Lauda has lashed out at Luca di Montezemolo’s claim that the 2014 rules have reduced the F1 field to little more than “taxi drivers”.

“Whoever says the races are ‘economy runs’ and that the drivers are ‘taxi drivers’ is lying,” the Mercedes chairman angrily told Italy’s Autosprint.

“It is absolutely not true,” triple world champion and former Ferrari driver Lauda added.

In his harsh critique of the controversial ‘new’ face of F1, Ferrari president Montezemolo claims drivers are easing their cars to the chequer because of the new 100kg per race fuel limit.

But Lauda insists Ferrari must simply have not done a good enough job with the new rules.

“In Malaysia, where we were first and second, we finished the race with 5 kilograms of fuel left over,” he said. “And other teams were in the same condition.

“Last year, when the Pirelli tyres were so weak and erratic, we had to slow down much more during the race but no one complained then.

“And because of the tyres, we were saving fuel (in 2013) more than now, because a couple of kilos more weight would affect the performance so much. Yet no one said the drivers were ‘taxi drivers’,” Lauda charged.

Gerhard Berger
17th April 2014, 07:34
'Taxi driver’ claim not honest – Lauda

“Last year, when the Pirelli tyres were so weak and erratic, we had to slow down much more during the race but no one complained then."

:lol

And he has the cheek to say the taxi driver claim is not honest.

Gerhard Berger
17th April 2014, 07:34
EDIT: duplicate post

Nero Horse
17th April 2014, 14:07
Yeah, yeah Niki..."everything's great and swell as long as Merc is winning", we get it... wouldn't expect him to say anything else really.