PDA

View Full Version : Montezemolo makes more changes at Ferrari

vcs316
24th April 2014, 03:30
Luca di Montezemolo has ordered Ferrari to "step up a gear" after completing an overhaul of some of the processes within the team.

Since team principal Stefano Domenicali resigned last Monday, Montezemolo has taken a more hands-on approach to help Marco Mattiacci, Domenicali's replacement, get up to speed. According to a story on Ferrari's official website Montezemolo "has been very clear in his words to Mattiacci and his staff, recognising the need to 'step up a gear in the work of the Gestione Sportiva'."

In order to allow the team to react more quickly, he has ordered a streamlining of the decision making processes that impact on performance.

"President Montezemolo is involved at first hand in the daily work and is always in close touch with the team," the story on the Ferrari website read. "He has asked for an immediate overhaul and streamlining of internal processes, eliminating intermediate stages and bureaucracy in order to be more flexible and efficient when it comes to the decision making process.

"At the same time, in order to simplify the organisation, there have been cut backs in the number of consultants and admissions aimed at strengthening some key areas to find more performance from the F14 T."

Speaking at the Chinese Grand Prix, Mattiacci said he would be willing to look for new engineers if necessary.

"With the chairman [Montezemolo] I discussed and we made a first report and clearly whatever is needed we will do, even going to the [employment] market," he said. "But we will go with a clear idea that it is not just for the sake of doing shopping, but finding someone who will bring extreme added value to a team that all of us believe is one of the highest level teams in Formula One. That's the philosophy at the moment."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Hornet
24th April 2014, 06:15
Does this mean the team will be letting go of more people :Hmm

abbottcostello
24th April 2014, 06:35
Hard to tell, but quite possible. Pat Fry could be either out the door or have a bigger role depending how they change their decision making process.

Kingdom Hearts
24th April 2014, 07:16
Why is this done now and not years ago?, this looks like basic 101 Formula 1 to me. If you have to sign 30 papers and talk with 20 top guys to get something done, obviously is not very efficient.

Ed Harley
24th April 2014, 07:19
Better late than ever.

vcs316
24th April 2014, 08:03
"He has asked for an immediate overhaul and streamlining of internal processes, eliminating intermediate stages and bureaucracy in order to be more flexible and efficient when it comes to the decision making process.

I think this has been our downfall more than ever. Bureaucracy!

vcs316
24th April 2014, 08:08
Flicked from autosport forums (courtesy Kosmos)

http://abload.de/img/gaaaagyjlg.jpg

-Ferrari want to repeat the Todt model.
-Faster decision making.
-Structure like RB.
-Mattiacci full powers.
-More autonomy for the Gestione Sportiva in relation to the industrial division.
-Simplification of the organization.
-new people will arrive to Allison and Marmorini groups

bonzo
24th April 2014, 08:18
Why is this done now and not years ago?, this looks like basic 101 Formula 1 to me. If you have to sign 30 papers and talk with 20 top guys to get something done, obviously is not very efficient.

This is the lagacy of Stefano. I have said a number of times for 2years that the guy is a Beaurocrat ( with capital B). He took no risks, made no decisions, but let different engineers argue between themselves and lose time and money on inadequate solutions.

Parabolica
24th April 2014, 09:23
This is the lagacy of Stefano. I have said a number of times for 2years that the guy is a Beaurocrat ( with capital B). He took no risks, made no decisions, but let different engineers argue between themselves and lose time and money on inadequate solutions.

100%.

It would seem now, given that this is straight from Luca himself, that Domenicali's legacy was bloated inefficiency.

Will the people who supported him please stand up?

(We need Ferrari to return to be Slim & Shady!)

RedRebel40
24th April 2014, 09:38
The article is just ********. Faster decising taking and less bureaucracy is Ferrari's philosophy since 80 years, why come up with such a standard story. Every organisations and companys goal is to have less bureaucracy and make faster decisions.

Super M
24th April 2014, 09:39
I have a funny feeling that Mr Montezemolo will get the axe at the end of this year as well..........( Just thought to share this ) :Hmm

gazoz
24th April 2014, 09:45
I have a funny feeling that Mr Montezemolo will get the axe at the end of this year as well..........( Just thought to share this ) :Hmm

you obviously dont know LDM he is more than just the head of F1 he controls all of Ferrari and does it superbly

Super M
24th April 2014, 09:50
you obviously dont know LDM he is more than just the head of F1 he controls all of Ferrari and does it superbly

So you think hey ?

Let me tell you that he was PUT in that position by his superiors........He does not own Ferrari.......FIAT does.........But hey, What do i know hey......

Hornet
24th April 2014, 10:00

How did you know that the previous structure wasn't put in place by Luca DM himself?

aroutis
24th April 2014, 10:02
So you think hey ?

Let me tell you that he was PUT in that position by his superiors........He does not own Ferrari.......FIAT does.........But hey, What do i know hey......
LcDM is a very powerful individual and yes clearly you don't know that much.
And at the phase F1 is getting as we speak , shifting of power and everything, trust me you don't want LcDM gone.

Super M
24th April 2014, 10:13
And at the phase F1 is getting as we speak , shifting of power and everything, trust me you don't want LcDM gone.

I did not question what a man he was in Ferrari.....Please read carefully!

Perhaps you know him personally and that entitles you to tell ME how it is ???......* yeah right *

My take on all these changes happening at Ferrari comes from way above LDM. And i think he's feeling this heat........either LDM performs and brings Ferrari back to where we should be, or else HE'S out.

No one is indispensable........Just like whats just happened with SD.

Then again, this is only my opinion......

gazoz
24th April 2014, 11:38

well said

mrnl
24th April 2014, 11:51
If I'm getting correctly what you're implying here is that changes in GeS are driven by FIAT. Let me tell you that the parent company cares very little (relatively) about F1 in comparison to the road car division. So in a sense GeS is and has historically been fairly independent. Even if not, the board has full trust in President di Montezemolo and he in turn delegates a lot of the responsibility to the head of the division, currently Mr. Mattiacci. Furthermore, Mr. Di Montezemolo contract has been recently renewed long term. And so has Pat Fry's on a related note.

PadGeT
24th April 2014, 11:56
And so has Pat Fry's on a related note.

:clap
Link plzz .

Nero Horse
24th April 2014, 14:35
Does this mean the team will be letting go of more people :Hmm

If anyone is going to be let go, then I think it will be someone from the engine department...just a hunch.

Nero Horse
24th April 2014, 14:57
The first part of the season, with races a long way from Europe, was not easy for Scuderia Ferrari. The week following the Bahrain Grand Prix brought various changes, including Marco Mattiacci being appointed to run the Gestione Sportiva, following Stefano Domenicali’s resignation.

There was also the first podium of the year in China, which provided a further boost for the whole team, while it keeps pushing on with the development of the car, aiming to improve its performance.

Today, more than ever before, with under three weeks to go to the Spanish Grand Prix work is in full swing behind the quiet exterior of the Maranello factory.

President Luca di Montezemolo has been very clear in his words to Mattiacci and his staff, recognising the need to “step up a gear in the work of the Gestione Sportiva.”

These words have been transformed into actions, which have made the decision making process even more immediate, with the aim of optimising the work and the direction of development taken by the engineers in Maranello in real time.

President Montezemolo is involved at first hand in the daily work and is always in close touch with the team. He has asked for an immediate overhaul and streamlining of internal processes, eliminating intermediate stages and bureaucracy in order to be more flexible and efficient when it comes to the decision making process.

At the same time, in order to simplify the organisation, there have been cut backs in the number of consultants and admissions aimed at strengthening some key areas to find more performance from the F14-T.

Apart from this, suppliers have been asked to provide greater support by reducing the turnaround on parts following requests from Maranello, thus reducing the waiting time for every single component, both in the case of prototypes and of proven elements.

The aim of all these changes is for Ferrari to be able to react more quickly, ready to gather and make the most of information both drivers provide during race simulations, but above all, whenever they take to the track.

http://grandprix247.com/2014/04/23/montezemolo-orders-immediate-overhaul-at-ferrari-to-end-bureaucracy/

Ed Harley
24th April 2014, 15:29
I have a hunch that KR will be axed after this season - don't know if his contract is 1+1 or 2.

REDARMYSOJA
24th April 2014, 16:46
So you think hey ?

You know who owns FIAT, don't you? You do know Luca's relationship with them, don't you? It is much more than just an employee. Basically, Luca is an Agnelli.

Rob
24th April 2014, 17:01
I did not question what a man he was in Ferrari.....Please read carefully!

Perhaps you know him personally and that entitles you to tell ME how it is ???......* yeah right *

My take on all these changes happening at Ferrari comes from way above LDM. And i think he's feeling this heat........either LDM performs and brings Ferrari back to where we should be, or else HE'S out.

No one is indispensable........Just like whats just happened with SD.

Then again, this is only my opinion......

Look a what Luca has turned Ferrari into over the past decades. Not just the F1 team, but Ferrari "the brand". Without him , id hate to see where/what we would be.

FIAT may own Ferrari, but they very very happy with Luca, and what he has done and where he helping lead Ferrari, as a whole.

vcs316
24th April 2014, 17:10

Ferrari is NOT only F1, it is building customer cars as well. And Ferrari has posted a profit (incremental profit) every year under Luca's management. It is very unlikely & unfathomable to think Luca will get axed!

Hornet
24th April 2014, 17:29
I have a hunch that KR will be axed after this season - don't know if his contract is 1+1 or 2.
Why. If anything, the switch from Massa to Kimi have proved that the problem is not with the drivers, so maybe it's time to stop switching the drivers... and please don't quote that blog rumor.

Look a what Luca has turned Ferrari into over the past decades. Not just the F1 team, but Ferrari "the brand". Without him , id hate to see where/what we would be.

FIAT may own Ferrari, but they very very happy with Luca, and what he has done and where he helping lead Ferrari, as a whole.

Agree, in the grand scheme of things, Luca is doing well for Ferrari. FIAT isn't going to make decisions just because of our F1 results.

Suzie
24th April 2014, 20:20
"With the chairman [Montezemolo] I discussed and we made a first report and clearly whatever is needed we will do, even going to the [employment] market,"

Wha?? Doesn't this contradict Luca's 'I'm not interested in mercenaries' ramblings?

ALO
24th April 2014, 20:21
Wha?? Doesn't this contradict Luca's 'I'm not interested in mercenaries' ramblings?

yeah thats what I was thinking

Nero Horse
24th April 2014, 20:27

+100000

Well said! :thumb

REDARMYSOJA
24th April 2014, 20:32

I think by that Luca meant he wasn't interested in someone who wasn't going to be there long term.

Greig
24th April 2014, 21:01

No you never.

paneristi
24th April 2014, 21:03
if LCdM had really said that, then, under SD, Gestione Sportiva was really inefficient, or not delivering desired result, at least. It does not matter whether LCdM did create the initial structure, the TP received the job and he ought to follow, adapt, and deliver. In which SD did not.

killer
25th April 2014, 00:21

1 + his option on the 2nd, with a performance clause (levied against Ferrari, I believe). This, plus the monetary investment, is why I've always thought the decision to bring Kimi back was not a good one. Even if I was mistaken regarding the performance clause, the contract amount cannot be neglected. We could have gone with a less expensive young-ish driver with potential and re-appropriated the funds to car development, which was the blindingly obvious area of deficiency. IMO.

This has nothing to do with Kimi's abilities, attitude, etc. My beef is with the nature of the contract.

abbottcostello
25th April 2014, 02:10
I think by that Luca meant he wasn't interested in someone who wasn't going to be there long term.
Wasn't LdM talking about TP when he said that, doesn't mean they won't look for lower level & engineering talent outside.

Nova
25th April 2014, 02:27
Crazy talk, Luca IS Ferrari, he aint going nowhere, neither is Kimi..Now Fry? Not sure, but Luca is right to streamline.
Too many cooks in the kitchen.

Its the way I seas it...

Nero Horse
25th April 2014, 15:49
Wasn't LdM talking about TP when he said that, doesn't mean they won't look for lower level & engineering talent outside.

Yes, exactly.