PDA

View Full Version : Alonso still waiting for change at Ferrari

vcs316
22nd May 2014, 03:03
MONACO - Nothing much has changed at Ferrari since Marco Mattiacci took over as principal of the Formula One team last month, Fernando Alonso said on Wednesday.

"Not much to be honest. I don't think it's going to happen soon," the double world champion told reporters at the Monaco Grand Prix when asked what was different under the new leadership.

"He's still learning about the team situation, the Formula One environment, the F1 weekends," explained the Spaniard.

"There are a lot of things to learn and [he wants to] get some experience before making any decisions that at the moment he will not take."

Mattiacci, the former head of the Italian carmaker's North American operations, was drafted in after Stefano Domenicali resigned in early April following the team's disappointing start to the new V6 turbo era.

The new boss, who has no Formula One experience, said last month that he thought initially Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo was joking when he made the approach.

While Montezemolo has attended two of the five races so far, and has said he wants to be more hands on with the race team, Mattiacci has kept a low profile.

The Italian hid behind sunglasses on his first day in the pit lane in Shanghai, when he also held a news conference. In Spain two weeks ago, he was a largely silent presence alongside Montezemolo when the president met the media.

Alonso said life at the factory was largely unchanged too, with meetings and simulator work the same as ever.

"Probably it was expected not to have any change in the first month, because he still does not have the experience," said the Spaniard.

Ferrari have not won a race in more than a year, or qualified on pole position since 2012, and are currently third in the constructors' standings. - Reuters

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/362103/sports/motorsports/f1-alonso-still-waiting-for-change-at-ferrari

hogo
22nd May 2014, 07:29
Yeah... MM is still adapting to new role. Too bad that we don't have much time, 2015 season is not that far...

Alonsomaniac
22nd May 2014, 15:59
Maybe Fernando wants to go a little too fast now. Understandable, because he knows the clock is ticking, but maybe he has to be a little more patient.

Senna4Ever
22nd May 2014, 16:26
Title of the article suggests: Alonso expecting and demanding changes at Ferrari at his command ...

content of the article: Alonso explains why nothing can change over night and Mattiacci needs time to get the whole picture and draw conclusions for decisions ...
Should Alonso say: with Mattiacci we changed our way we prepare a race ... instead of simulator we play no sank ship and tic tac toe

greatest offend comes from the writer itself ...

The Italian hid behind sunglasses on his first day in the pit lane in Shanghai, when he also held a news conference. In Spain two weeks ago, he was a largely silent presence alongside Montezemolo when the president met the media.

Kiwi Nick
22nd May 2014, 18:21
Sounds like Nando, who was close to SD, is frustrated that the new TP needs to get up to speed before anything positive can happen. Very frustrated.

Greig
22nd May 2014, 18:24
But most on here told us Stefano was the reason we had a poor car, it was Stefano that held back our engineers and design team?

Ferris
22nd May 2014, 18:34
Sounds like Nando, who was close to SD, is frustrated that the new TP needs to get up to speed before anything positive can happen. Very frustrated.

Nando was in part behind SD removal from the team. Luca needed a scapegoat and a more junior engineer would not suffice this time around and Nando was upset that SD went and hired Kimi to keep Alonso in check. Removal of SD was both because of Alonso and suited Luca. Fact is SD was too soft and Luca didn't invest enough upfront in the 2014 reg world years ago like Merc did.

Ferrari were outspent. While we fought with RB and got close Merc had their eyes firmly fixed on 2014; this is why lewis jumped ship to merc also.
The real problem with Ferrari is whomever didn't ask or give authority for a bigger check to fight Merc. I have a feeling this was Luca and SD was too shy to push harder for more money. In addition to our wind tunnel woes.

Kyss4k
22nd May 2014, 18:44
Maybe Fernando wants to go a little too fast now. Understandable, because he knows the clock is ticking, but maybe he has to be a little more patient.

He was patient for 5 years now. I honestly expect him to blow in near future. Hope I'm wrong.

REDARMYSOJA
22nd May 2014, 18:46
Seems to me Mattiacci is sitting back and watching who does their job correctly and who doesn't. Who's reliable and who isn't. Who's committed and who isn't.

They say his strength is getting the right people into the right positions, so I have hope when he starts with the changes they will be the correct ones, and he will be looking for long term solutions, not necessarily immediate ones. Ferrari did not get into this position overnight, so the will be no quick fixes.

Hornet
22nd May 2014, 18:56
Nando was in part behind SD removal from the team. Luca needed a scapegoat and a more junior engineer would not suffice this time around and Nando was upset that SD went and hired Kimi to keep Alonso in check. Removal of SD was both because of Alonso and suited Luca. Fact is SD was too soft and Luca didn't invest enough upfront in the 2014 reg world years ago like Merc did.

Ferrari were outspent. While we fought with RB and got close Merc had their eyes firmly fixed on 2014; this is why lewis jumped ship to merc also.
The real problem with Ferrari is whomever didn't ask or give authority for a bigger check to fight Merc. I have a feeling this was Luca and SD was too shy to push harder for more money. In addition to our wind tunnel woes.
I don't think that make sense. Not even Luca is crazy enough to change the team's TP in the middle of the season. This isn't the right way to get someone inexperience like Marco into his position by throwing him in the middle of everything. Besides, Luca isn't going to punish Stefano if it was his own fault for limiting Ferrari's budget.

Both Alonso and Stefano had a close friendship as we've seen in their comments after Stefano left. IMO, no reason for Stefano to play along if he didn't have such relationship with Alonso, especially if he got kicked out and Alonso was part of the reason.

Katu
22nd May 2014, 19:03
I don't think that make sense. Not even Luca is crazy enough to change the team's TP in the middle of the season. This isn't the right way to get someone inexperience like Marco into his position by throwing him in the middle of everything. Besides, Luca isn't going to punish Stefano if it was his own fault for limiting Ferrari's budget.

Both Alonso and Stefano had a close friendship as we've seen in their comments after Stefano left. IMO, no reason for Stefano to play along if he didn't have such relationship with Alonso, especially if he got kicked out and Alonso was part of the reason.
everybody plays along with Fernando, he blackmails them in reality

Senna4Ever
22nd May 2014, 20:38
Seems to me Mattiacci is sitting back and watching who does their job correctly and who doesn't. Who's reliable and who isn't. Who's committed and who isn't.

They say his strength is getting the right people into the right positions, so I have hope when he starts with the changes they will be the correct ones, and he will be looking for long term solutions, not necessarily immediate ones. Ferrari did not get into this position overnight, so the will be no quick fixes.

Seems to me too.
Even Luca told us that Mattiacci will be there to stay ... for me it seems he is a person who looks very precisely, makes his conclusion and gives a very detailed report then for higher management. Could be that Mattiacci might work as vacuum cleaner in first hand ... But who knows, just a personal impression.

Nando was in part behind SD removal from the team.

so so ... but I guess you won't offer us your source, correct?
Well then Alonso played his part even better the next race asked about the new man replacing SD ...

Exactly
In fact the man we see driving is only a puppet on a string ... rumours say the man who plays the driver Alonso is the son of the man who replaced Paul at the Beatles ...
For real Fernando Alonso is only the surname for this man ...

Alonsomaniac
22nd May 2014, 20:57
He was patient for 5 years now. I honestly expect him to blow in near future. Hope I'm wrong.

Strange enough, for a man who always wants to go faster, Fernando is a really patient man. He has this goal or even dream maybe, which is becoming a Ferrari WDC. He is not a man who gives up his dreams very easily.
I don't think he will blow - not in the near future or even later. If there ever comes a moment (and I don't believe that) that he realises the dream won't come true, he will stop racing.

Nero Horse
22nd May 2014, 21:27
Alonso: "Nothing much has changed at Ferrari since Marco Mattiacci took over as principal of the Formula One team last month"

Well of course in such a short time period not much has changed yet. I don't think anyone could expect some radical changes or miracles to happen after only one month since MM came in. The first major changes could be expected at the end of this season at the earliest, but most likely not before next year. And by "major changes" I mean personnel changes and restructuring of the team.

Kiwi Nick
22nd May 2014, 21:34

Correct.

Kingdom Hearts
23rd May 2014, 03:28
Ridiculous article out of nothing. Of course nothing has changed, the guy got the job 1 month ago and has no experience in F1.

Stormsearcher
23rd May 2014, 04:28

:rotfl

ntukza
23rd May 2014, 10:34
Where does Alonso say he's still waiting for changes??? Is there a platform for attacking journalists like this one?

aroutis
23rd May 2014, 11:29
But most on here told us Stefano was the reason we had a poor car, it was Stefano that held back our engineers and design team?
Like it or not, SD did have his merit on the whole issue, his merit is purely lack of leadership. The fact that MM has not adjusted to his new role (or I should say he 's in his adaption period), I would think is more than normal, and also expected.

My only concern, is what time frame of adoption the team is facing, although I expect a deadline of some sort after which he 's expected to start taking actions and producing results.

They say his strength is getting the right people into the right positions, so I have hope when he starts with the changes they will be the correct ones, and he will be looking for long term solutions, not necessarily immediate ones. Ferrari did not get into this position overnight, so the will be no quick fixes.Should that be the case, then he's fit for the job.

Hermann
23rd May 2014, 13:05
Where does Alonso say he's still waiting for changes??? Is there a platform for attacking journalists like this one?

Find out his twitter account and go for it :-D