PDA

View Full Version : Domenicali: I called Alonso, Raikkonen and Vettel after I quit

Nero Horse
22nd May 2014, 15:03
Stefano Domenicali, who has kept a low profile since his departure from Ferrari, has finally spoken out about his departure from Maranello revealing that world champion Sebastian Vettel was one of three drivers he called on the day he stepped down as team boss.

Until now, Domenicali has been silent since leaving his post at Maranello due to the fabled Italian team’s poor results, but an interview was posted by none other than the respected Ferrari source Leo Turrini, on his reputable and highly regarded Quotidiano blog.

Domenicali reportedly said that when he quit, he made three phone calls: “In alphabetical order, to Alonso, Raikkonen and Vettel,” he said. “Fernando and Kimi are true friends to me. I regret the results. I did not put them together to make them fight for sixth place, but unfortunately that’s how it went.”

He sidestepped the issue of Ferrari’s highly controversial pit strategy in Barcelona, claiming that he did not even watch the Spanish Grand Prix on television, “Maybe I will not even watch Monte Carlo.”

When it comes to Monaco, he recalls 2001, Michael Schumacher’s fifth win in the principality, “I remember that night we were all confident that soon Michael would beat Senna’s record of six wins, but unfortunately it never happened.”

As the conversation turned to Schumacher’s skiing fall and coma, Domenicali admitted: “Sometimes I think that if we [Ferrari] would have had him between 2008 and 2013, I would have had at least one title. But do not misunderstand me: I think Alonso deserved to be champion in both 2010 and 2012.”

As for the third driver he called on the day he stepped down, Domenicali was less forthcoming, “Why I called Seb? You’ll have to find out the answer for yourself, sorry.”

On his own future in Formula 1, Domenicali ruled out returning with another team, “I have never excluded staying in racing, but I have always excluded working for another team, whether it is Caterham or McLaren or whoever.”

“It would not work when I go to the wall and cheer for Alonso and Raikkonen. But in a different area? Why not,” he said. “I am receiving a lot of proposals, even from different areas, but honestly I have no hurry to decide. I realize that I am a privileged one when looking at the situation in Italy and in Europe today.”

Domenicali declined, meanwhile, to talk publicly about his successor, the inexperienced Marco Mattiacci but did point out, “Mattiacci did not ask me anything,” he admitted. “It’s a good thing to see that he did not need advice.”

Meanwhile German correspondent for Sport Bild, Bianca Garloff, claimed on Wednesday that the interview posted on Turrini’s blog was in fact a fake.

http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/05/21/domenicali-i-called-alonso-raikkonen-and-vettel-after-i-quit/

Kingdom Hearts
22nd May 2014, 15:05
Meanwhile German correspondent for Sport Bild, Bianca Garloff, claimed on Wednesday that the interview posted on Turrini’s blog was in fact a fake.

http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/05/21/domenicali-i-called-alonso-raikkonen-and-vettel-after-i-quit/

Bianca Garloff ‏@bgarloff

Just talked to Stefano Domenicali. His interview on an italian blog was a fake. He did not speak about mattiacci, Vettel and schumi.

Nero Horse
22nd May 2014, 15:09
Bianca Garloff ‏@bgarloff

Just talked to Stefano Domenicali. His interview on an italian blog was a fake. He did not speak about mattiacci, Vettel and schumi.

Why would anyone make up such a story? What is wrong with that Turrini guy?! Is he really that delusional? :roll

Anyway, just ignore this thread then...sorry for even posting it. Maybe the mods should lock it.

Lesky
22nd May 2014, 15:15
Great to hear from Big D - fake or not :-D

windwaves
22nd May 2014, 15:25
he did not quit.
He was fired. I mean LdM was forced to do so since he would not quit (SD said it himself).

But he should have quit on his own years ago.

Of course the official story is always that it was his decision, no reason to make it look ugly to the general public.

Anyway, he is gone. Now how much time will Ferrari need to fix his mess ????

Kingdom Hearts
22nd May 2014, 15:26
Anyway, he is gone. Now how much time will Ferrari need to fix his mess ????

10 years and 100 virgins :lol

Hornet
22nd May 2014, 15:37
Why would anyone make up such a story? What is wrong with that Turrini guy?! Is he really that delusional? :roll

Anyway, just ignore this thread then...sorry for even posting it. Maybe the mods should lock it.

I must say even I did not expect Turini to go as far as to make up his own quotes. His story is usually according to sources in Ferrari, so and so without any actual quotes

This guy is insane :crazy I think he's trying to attract attention by creating a hype that maybe Stefano had a pre contract with Vettel

Hermann
22nd May 2014, 15:47

Doesn't surprise me one bit.

F2002
22nd May 2014, 16:40
Even if it were true, it is mistranslated.

The blog post says: ‘Il giorno del mio addio mi hanno telefonato tre piloti. In ordine alfabetico: Alonso, Raikkonen e Vettel’, which means that he didn't call anyone, but they called him. No James Bond plot then, just a couple of guys having a normal conversation, if any.

Kiwi Nick
22nd May 2014, 18:30
Why are we having a discussion about a fake interview?

windwaves
22nd May 2014, 20:12
10 years and 100 virgins :lol

but the virgins never materialize !

wisepie
23rd May 2014, 16:58
Even if it were true, it is mistranslated.

The blog post says: ‘Il giorno del mio addio mi hanno telefonato tre piloti. In ordine alfabetico: Alonso, Raikkonen e Vettel’, which means that he didn't call anyone, but they called him. No James Bond plot then, just a couple of guys having a normal conversation, if any.
Quite. It only takes one word of mis-translation for the whole meaning to be lost! I still think SD was a good ambassador for Ferrari, he is very approachable but in the end, maybe not what we needed as a leader trying to take us forward in a new era.